No Restructure For Harvin

HOZ THE JET

My point everybody in trading Harvin we can get something for him even getting our 6th Rd pick back is better than just releasing him for nothing maybe he be willing to restructure his contract for a contender because its obvious he doesn't want to donut for us.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My point everybody in trading Harvin we can get something for him even getting our 6th Rd pick back is better than just releasing him for nothing maybe he be willing to restructure his contract for a contender because its obvious he doesn't want to donut for us.

no one will trade for Harvin ... Even if we give them Harvin for nothing and call it a trade teams wont do it hes paid way too much money and he will not be on this roster for long. I understand his stance but when hes released I'll bet he starts to think he should have stayed with the Jets and restructured for around 5 mil which is closer to what hes actually worth

Very good chance?

yes, he was caught red handed on camera. He was warned by the league last year regarding comments he made about Desean Jackson. Philly did not file charges so the league did nothing but warn him.  One year later he does the same thing, this time to a divisional rival and for an all-pro player. How many chances do you think he gets. What is to stop other owners from saying the same about players. Woody is an idiot, I understand, but he was told last year.

Harvin isn't worth $10.5M/year to anyone. That's why the Seahawks dumped him for a conditional 6th.

The Jets have a week or so of the league year to finalize their decision on Harvin, and I'd take every last minute. They'll target free agent WRs and maybe a RB like Spiller. If they land their wish list in a week at those offensive skill positions, Harvin becomes immediately expendable. If they don't -even if he doesn't like it- Harvin is a guy who can do most of what the Jets might be looking for from Spiller.

I don't think keeping Harvin has any effect on their draft plans. They can still certainly take a WR at #6, and be four deep at the position for the first time in forever. They owe him no guaranteed money, and he'd be on a year to year deal, anyway. They can attempt Sperm's hardball negotiations at the end of summer to get a paycut out of him, too, but I think that would be a risky move. I think if you give up the fourth, he's on the roster opening day.

I agree with you 100% on this post ,I think the problems we have with receivers is our QB situation isn't stable I bet if we had a franchise QB it will make situations like this a lot easy for example if we had  Aaron Rodgers I think Percy would be more than happy to restructure because he would make him better but everybody knows Geno stinks. 

You can't trade him, until the new year starts, once the new year starts the jets owe the seahawks a 4th.  If the jets feel there is a team out there that will give them a 3rd in April when no team was willing to give a 5th in October, then they can trade him.

You can't trade him, until the new year starts, once the new year starts the jets owe the seahawks a 4th.  If the jets feel there is a team out there that will give them a 3rd in April when no team was willing to give a 5th in October, then they can trade him.

Yeah you are right I forgot they have to wait for the new physical year guess we just have to let him go & give up the 6th at lease we add 10.5 mil of space back on our cap.

Harvin is not a "bad card". He's an overpaid card, which only matters if there are better uses for the money. Recouping two rounds of draft capital is not worth cutting him without a replacement plan in place.

I would beg to differ, Councilor.

He has a documented history of injuries and migraines.

He has a documented history of being a bad locker room influence, a malcontent.

And his production averages speak for themselves, he is a 600 yards-a-year guy, if we're lucky.

Respectfully, on a team in the position we are, new GM, new HC, new O-Co, rebuilding, where 2015 is not "our year" and we're not "one guy away", there is no reason to risk anything on a Percy Harvin.

Cut him, save 10 million and our 4th.  Spend the 10 million (and the rest of our cap) on young players without the baggage of a Harvin.

And use the 4th to start rebuilding the talent base of this team.  Percy Harvin is not special.  He, and his average of 600 yards, can be replaced.

I liken this to the way golf used to be, it was always "Tiger or the field".  Well, this debate appears to be "Harvin or the field (i.e. all other FA and Draft options + 10 mil in cap + our 4th Round Pick)".

In that decision, I choose the field.  And I am quite sure the Jets will as well.

Yeah you are right I forgot they have to wait for the new physical year guess we just have to let him go & give up the 6th at lease we add 10.5 mil of space back on our cap.

I don't think this is true.  The Jets do not owe the fourth until the 19th, but IIRC the new league year starts on the 10th.  They have a few days to try to work something out.  I can't imagine too many teams would be interested in trading for him, considering he was on the market last yer.  I also can't imagine they could trade him without being on the hook for the 4th.

I don't think this is true.  The Jets do not owe the fourth until the 19th, but IIRC the new league year starts on the 10th.  They have a few days to try to work something out.  I can't imagine too many teams would be interested in trading for him, considering he was on the market last yer.  I also can't imagine they could trade him without being on the hook foar the 4th.

Oh so basically he can be traded if that's the case it's worth a shot some idiot GM like Idzik might bite.

Oh so basically he can be traded if that's the case it's worth a shot some idiot GM like Idzik might bite.

I think that he theoretically can be, but in practice I think it is a non-starter.  Everybody knows the Jets are likely to cut him.  To make it worthwhile the Jets would need the very top of the 4th round or higher.  If anybody wanted him, they would have made the move during last season. 

Why does it force the JETS to pass on a WR in the draft ?

"Per terms of the trade the teams made in October, the Seahawks will get a fourth-round pick from the Jets if receiver Percy Harvin remains on New York’s roster through March 19. If he is released before the end of the day on March 19, then the Jets will send a sixth-round pick to Seattle."

The only move here is to release him and let him test the market. Limit the damage of this trade to a 6th round pick. And heck you still might have a very solid opportunity to sign him for much less dough.

In the strictest sense, it doesn't. But if we sign Harvin to a new deal with 2 years guaranteed, and have Decker also on a long-term deal, we would be less in the market for a WR at #6 than, say, a QB or pass rusher.

Given this draft class of WRs, where there isn't only "one guy" to draft (and where we may not get a crack at him) I agree it's probably best to just cut him. There just isn't this massive dropoff from the top guy at this position like often is the case.

In the strictest sense, it doesn't. But if we sign Harvin to a new deal with 2 years guaranteed, and have Decker also on a long-term deal, we would be less in the market for a WR at #6 than, say, a QB or pass rusher.

Given this draft class of WRs, where there isn't only "one guy" to draft (and where we may not get a crack at him) I agree it's probably best to just cut him. There just isn't this massive dropoff from the top guy at this position like often is the case.

I just want both. I really like the idea of Harvin getting open on the drag and crossing routes and having a guy like Cooper or White running downfield with Decker. We still have plenty of cap room anyway and Jeremy Kerley was awful last year not like he was amazing before that he was decent at best.

IMO this year is a year for the new GM to set the table for future years. Without a QB, I see no reason to have a 10.5mill wr on the team that will cost the 104th pick in the draft. He has not spent one year out of the 6 in this league where he was worth that amount of money.

You talk about trading down 9 slots in the 2nd like it is nothing. And I know jet fans turn a blind eye to it, but there is a very good chance that they lose a draft pick for the Revis tampering.

I doubt there will be any loss of draft pick. The Patriots got enough of a reward from Goodell in 2015 already. The only way I think that could muddy things is if NE can't come to an agreement with Revis and if the Jets attempt to re-sign him (particularly if they're successful in doing so).

Trading down 9 slots isn't "nothing" but it isn't something to gamble a whole season on either.

No one thinks Harvin is worth $10.5M this season (except maybe Bit'), but it's not $10.5M or nothing; it's $10.5M or what his more realistic value is, which most believe hovers in the $7M or so range. Looked at that way, it's a $3M-ish splurge, not a $10.5M splurge.

No one thinks Harvin is worth $10.5M this season (except maybe Bit')

1) the idea of who is worth what has to be couched in the context of a cap the went up 10 mil last year and will go up 10 mil this year

2) every year, talent costs money

is Harvin is worth 10.5 mil? Maybe not, maybe that's a little high. but it's unlikely the Jets get anyone better, and because of Idzik's starvation diet they actually have to spend to get to the floor.  Someone's going to get that money. Quantity over quality? 

I don't see the value in freeing up even more cap space, with a mandate to spend, and no one obvious to spend it on. 

1) the idea of who is worth what has to be couched in the context of a cap the went up 10 mil last year and will go up 10 mil this year

is Harvin is worth 10.5 mil? Maybe not, maybe that's a little high. but it's unlikely the Jets get anyone better, and because of Idzik's starvation diet they actually have to spend to get to the floor.  Someone's going to get that money. Quantity over quality? 

I don't see the value in freeing up even more cap space, with a mandate to spend, and no one obvious to spend it on.

The idea is to get someone better, whether that's a different FA WR or someone we draft in round 1.

But you're arguing with the wrong person. If we have any plans to take a QB this year (particularly at #6), and plan to put him onto the field this year, I'm fine with keeping Harvin under his current deal. My objection is in locking us into him for at least 2 seasons in an effort to save $3M in 2015 when we're going to be struggling to reach the cap floor without foolishly overspending on the decidedly unworthy (and locking ourselves into said players beyond just 2015).

I'm ok with keeping him until we have our known replacement (Cobb or a 1st round WR). If it downgrades our 4th to a 6th then recoup it some other way. But the QB or WR we take in round 1 could/should shape the franchise for several years and I wouldn't want that potentially (negatively) altered over a downgrade of one 4th round pick. My only objection is in locking him up now (which would still cost that draft pick downgrade anyway).

The idea is to get someone better, whether that's a different FA WR or someone we draft in round 1.

there are  no WR in the draft that are as good as Harvin right now, nor are there any FA WR as good as Harvin right now. 

Will Kevin White be better than Harvin in 5 years? Yeah, maybe. Hopefully. 

But I'm tired of playing the forever game. Win some damn games this year please. 

there are  no WR in the draft that are as good as Harvin right now, nor are there any FA WR as good as Harvin right now. 

Will Kevin White be better than Harvin in 5 years? Yeah, maybe. Hopefully. 

But I'm tired of playing the forever game. Win some damn games this year please.

Well we still see things differently. I want to build a winner not max out the spending limit in the hopes we can win 8 instead of 6.

Cobb is a more reliable long-term solution than Harvin. That is why I'd advocate the swap, and I think most would agree.

Where have you been Mr. Tannenbaum. We missed ya.

Well we still see things differently. I want to build a winner not max out the spending limit in the hopes we can win 8 instead of 6.

Where have you been Mr. Tannenbaum. We missed ya.

The Jets are below the salary floor. They have to spend like maniacs the next two years or face fines etc. 

someone's getting paid. 

as for Cobb vs Harvin, fair enough. I have no prob with that swap. But it's debatable that he's really better. Maybe Cobb with Geno instead of Aaron Rodgers has half the production. 

The Jets are below the salary floor. They have to spend like maniacs the next two years or face fines etc. 

someone's getting paid. 

as for Cobb vs Harvin, fair enough. I have no prob with that swap. But it's debatable that he's really better. Maybe Cobb with Geno instead of Aaron Rodgers has half the production.

Yes maybe. But I simply don't trust Harvin with a long-term contract that has multiple guaranteed seasons. You could have made that same argument between Santonio Holmes and a lot of guys in the summer of 2012.

Decker's essentially on a two-year deal though, no?

no one is complaining about Decker having half the catches as he did in Denver

the reason why the WRs aren't productive is cause the QB is a jackass. 

Yeah, poor guy just can't catch a break, had the same problem in Seattle the first half of the season

I doubt there will be any loss of draft pick. The Patriots got enough of a reward from Goodell in 2015 already. The only way I think that could muddy things is if NE can't come to an agreement with Revis and if the Jets attempt to re-sign him (particularly if they're successful in doing so).

Trading down 9 slots isn't "nothing" but it isn't something to gamble a whole season on either.

No one thinks Harvin is worth $10.5M this season (except maybe Bit'), but it's not $10.5M or nothing; it's $10.5M or what his more realistic value is, which most believe hovers in the $7M or so range. Looked at that way, it's a $3M-ish splurge, not a $10.5M splurge.

What reward has the pats received this year. BB lost 3 days of game planning for the superbowl finding out what happened.

Decker's essentially on a two-year deal though, no?

Starting 3/10/15 it's a 1 year deal in terms of guarantees. Next year the accelerated hit wouldn't be off the charts because his original signing bonus was only $7.5M.

But I don't think the team has a desire to move on from him so they could keep Percy Harvin on a deal with 2 more guaranteed seasons. Granted it's a whole new coaching staff and front office, but I think they're happy with what they have in Decker both on the field and in the locker room.

if they can swap in Cobb for Harvin, that's fair. 

if they lose Harvin and draft a rookie to replace, chances are extremely high the team got worse. 

I'm tired of watching this terrible team as it is. Don't make me watch it get worse. 

So for example you're against swapping Harvin for Cooper? 

I think you'll be in the smallest of minorities there. If that thought is prevalent we should trade Harvin for this preceived top 10 pick trade value now.

Why do I sense we wouldn't even be able to get a conditional 7th rounder for him?

Starting 3/10/15 it's a 1 year deal in terms of guarantees. Next year the accelerated hit wouldn't be off the charts because his original signing bonus was only $7.5M.

But I don't think the team has a desire to move on from him so they could keep Percy Harvin on a deal with 2 more guaranteed seasons. Granted it's a whole new coaching staff and front office, but I think they're happy with what they have in Decker both on the field and in the locker room.

Yeah, I guess my point is that if they do wind up with Cooper then it's not a disaster. He gets an easy rookie year and the Jets can free up some space with the position in 2015. Truth be told I think this is a good problem to have, even if the Jets are overspending, we can afford to do that for the next couple years.

However there is also the possibility that Harvin acted like a choir boy so he can get his money, and he goes Santonio if he stays, in which case we're ****ed. Given our luck this is probably the case anyways.

someone's getting paid. 

That's common knowledge. But won't you rather sign a lot of talent at as fair a value as possible rather that overpay one, two or three guys like Sanchez, Holmes and then wonder why this salary cap maxed out team is underperforming ?

Percy Harvin will remain a NY Jet he solves the WR/KR dilemma we have way more glaring needs that need to be addressed in free agency and the draft 

Harvin/Decker/Kerley and a draft pick or free agent

Dosent sound like it, it's seems he want to get paid, he wants to test the open market no matter what the circumstances is.

Archived