Speculation on Harvin: Headed to New England?

jgb

Is there any doubt that Harvin will be a monster in NE? Imagine Wes Welker + 200% the athleticism. He will kill with an accurate passer.

Percy Harvin to the New England Patriots? Why not?
  • 0ap3000000408080.jpg

• By Conor Orr

• Around The NFL Writer

• Published: Feb. 25, 2015 at 07:39 a.m.

• Updated: Feb. 25, 2015 at 03:28 p.m.

The budding consensus among those with a line into Percy Harvin suggests that he might stay in the AFC East, or at least pay a visit to the New York Jets' biggest rival if a reworked contract cannot be figured out.

On Tuesday, The Boston Globe's Chris Gasper added to the mix by saying that New England has "always liked" Harvin, and that the Pats traded out of the No. 23 pick in the 2009 draft because Harvin was nabbed by the Vikings at No. 22.

From where we're sitting, the answer is pretty obvious: Why not?

New England has absolutely nothing to lose from here after clinching their fourth Super Bowl title since 2001. Even if, in four years, Tom Brady and Bill Belichick retire together having not made another playoff appearance, their legacies have been cemented.

This is why adding a dynamic player like Harvin should seem like a no-brainer. He can add firepower to an offense that already out-dueled the best defense in football. He can take some pressure off Brady and put limitless possibilities on the table for offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels.

It's easy to say that because Harvin has a questionable reputation, New England would be the perfect fit. We have no way of knowing whether that is true.

But it is pretty easy to say that Belichick would not be criticized heavily for swinging and missing on a move like this based on his track record.

And if you have the chance to add a dynamic 26-year-old wideout heading into the prime of his career, why not do it?

The latest Around The NFL Podcast previews free agency and tells you which big-name players could be released. Find more Around The NFL content on NFL NOW.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000473938/article/percy-harvin-to-the-new-england-patriots-why-not

As much as people put Harvin down, he had a lot of opportunities to make big plays last season if Geno didn't overthrow him.  I know I've repeated it several times but he would've had a 30 yd TD vs Miami and smoke Revis deep against New England...both times Geno lofted a pass out of bounds. 

As much as people put Harvin down, he had a lot of opportunities to make big plays last season if Geno didn't overthrow him.  I know I've repeated it several times but he would've had a 30 yd TD vs Miami and smoke Revis deep against New England...both times Geno lofted a pass out of bounds. 

Getting Harvin for Geno was like getting a 16 year old kid a Ferrari for his birthday.

Ah the old gnashing of teeth about a jet player going to the pats.  He'll go there if they see fit to pay him what he wishes.  If so, more power to him.

No gnashing of teeth here. Just saying with an accurate passer who can get him ball in space I believe Harvin will kill it. We don't have that here so he would probably be a waste. Sad.

The second most common Jets Fan Obsession Syndrome.

First, Former Jet Obsession Syndrome.

Second, Patriots Paranoia Syndrome.

Lament the Jets Fan, so many mental illnesses, it becomes difficult to count them all....

Best of luck in New England, Percy. 

Somewhere out in this country an NFL agent is reading this thread and smirking at how gullible fans are.

Or, what a normal person would say: "thanks for posting the article, but I don't buy it." Instead, you opted to attack the person who simply posts an nfl.com article as "gullible." Revealing choice.

Or, what a normal person would say: "thanks for posting the article, but I don't buy it." Instead, you opted to attack the person who simply posts an nfl.com article as "gullible." Revealing choice.

I am sorry there is difference between who posts an article and who bites the bait. I have nothing against posting the article. Thanks for that. But the below is the classic case of biting the bait.

s there any doubt that Harvin will be a monster in NE? Imagine Wes Welker + 200% the athleticism. He will kill with an accurate passer.

Agents around the NFL know that the way to create pressure for the Jets to pay up, is to float rumors that the player will go directly to NE and torture the Jets for years to come.

Dr. Zaius's medical diagnosis: Chronic Reviitis.

Harvin is going nowhere if the Jets want him.  Harvin in Chan Gaileys offense might be something worth seeing.  We are 50 million under the cap; can draft Fowler or Dupree and can still take a receiver in the 2nd or 3rd round.  He is likely to be better than any 4th round pick.  Maybe we can even trade down, get a few picks to make up for it.  I know some are against it but I think we should retain Harvin and sign Spiller.  That will give us two young veteran playmakers who can score from almost anywhere on the field.  Decker and Kerley along with Amaro will move the chains.  Imagine we add a Devin Smith, Breshard Perriman, or Sammie Coates to that mix.   Just a thought... 

I am sorry there is difference between who posts an article and who bites the bait. I have nothing against posting the article. Thanks for that. But the below is the classic case of biting the bait.

Thanks for comfirming you didnt deserve the benefit of the doubt and my comment to you was spot on. How does THAT bait taste?

How could we stupidly let our beloved Shaun Ellis go to the Pats? Belichick knows better!

If we don't draft Gholston then Belichick will scoop him up and he'll terrorize our QBs for 10 years!

Chris Baker will have a monster season now that Brady is throwing to him!

Victor Hobson will go to the pro bowl now that he's on the Pats! Classic SOJ to just let him get away!

NE got Albert Haynesworth and Ochocinco and we didn't even pick up a phone! That's why we suck!!

and on and on.

Build the team you want to build. I'm OK with hanging onto Harvin until we have his replacement, but you don't draft, sign, re-sign, retain, or trade for players out of fear that the Patriots will.

Archived