Jaguars to hire John Idzik

Morrissey

Idzik got a raw deal here.  Started out in cap hell, left us with one of the richest caps in the league.  Had a plan he wasn't able to institute because he was cut short.  Never got to hire his own coach.  His plan was to save money to put the team in a positive financial state which could lead to long-term success.  he also managed FA's to maximize comp picks and build through the draft to the tune of 12 draft picks.  Idzik got Rex'd.  Nobody wanted to blame the true culprit.  Three Offensive coordinators, two defensive coordinators and two General Managers all got canned under Rex's tenure and the team still ended up with three wins.  Idzik will make an excellent consultant.

I definitely understand where you're coming from.  I agree that he turned around our cap situation and he did get stuck w/ a coach that he didn't choose (though so did Maccagnan - though hopefully Bowles will be good).  However, the thing that did Idzik in was the bad draft and not signing a free agent (when he had plenty of money) on a DB or a WR prior to the season.  Then he panicked mid-season and traded for Harvin (we coud've had DeSean).  Admittedly the injuries in the secondary didn't help his cause.  I still blame the poor showing in the draft last year for his demise though.

So yes semi-raw deal but a case could be made he deserved what he got.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I definitely understand where you're coming from. I agree that he turned around our cap situation and he did get stuck w/ a coach that he didn't choose (though so did Maccagnan - though hopefully Bowles will be good). However, the thing that did Idzik in was the bad draft and not signing a free agent (when he had plenty of money) or a WR prior to the season. Then he panicked mid-season and traded for Harvin (we coud've had DeSean). The injuries in the secondary didn't help his cause. I still blame the poor showing in the draft last year for his demise though.

So yes semi-raw deal but a case could be made he deserved what he got.

He signed Eric Decker to a deal that seems pretty reasonable right now.

Bullcrap.

Idzik had 2 drafts and hit one very good player, traded for Chris Ivory, and found a one-dimensional part time TE with questioable hands. And that is the good.

Everything else he did in the draft and free agency ranged from OK to downright atrocious.

He sunk himself. 2014 might go down as the worst draft in Jet history.

Let's see how some of the '13 & '14 picks play with some real NFL coaching, discipline & being held accountable

Idzik got a raw deal here.  Started out in cap hell, left us with one of the richest caps in the league.  Had a plan he wasn't able to institute because he was cut short.  Never got to hire his own coach.  His plan was to save money to put the team in a positive financial state which could lead to long-term success.  he also managed FA's to maximize comp picks and build through the draft to the tune of 12 draft picks.  Idzik got Rex'd.  Nobody wanted to blame the true culprit.  Three Offensive coordinators, two defensive coordinators and two General Managers all got canned under Rex's tenure and the team still ended up with three wins.  Idzik will make an excellent consultant.

Loved everything he did, except last years draft and the Kerley deal

So we could be sitting here today talking about giving a 30 year-old Revis a giant new contract that we know he's going to renege on? And Sanders wasn't coming here. Dude was going to Denver the second he hit free agency.

Didn't mean to "Neg" rep this.

He's good with the cap, thats it though.

He would be good with the cap if the NFL let teams spend like $87,437 per player. He would be in warehouses and factories finding us the next Boar Hunter, Eric Mangini Style!

Its only been one year but I don't care for Giocomini much.

I thought the guy was alright until I checked his twitter page a few minutes ago... Dude has pictures of himself in Red Sox gear and posted a picture of the Bruins logo up there.   I wouldn't mind if it were any other city... but I mean if that's his prerogative maybe he should go play for cheatriots. 

Loved everything he did, except last years draft and the Kerley deal

Me too. Especially Dmitri Patterson, the Harvin trade (after not getting one in the most loaded WR draft in history), his entire 2013 other than Sheldon Richardson, and saving all that money for Macagnan to work with. But yeah hated the 2014 draft and the Kerley deal.

Also thought Our American Cousin was an incredible play.

A lot of revisionist history going on here.

Idzik did a good job keeping the cap in shape, but that's about it.

Save for Willie Colon, his free agent acquisitions were horrendous.  Mike Goodson, David Garrard, Dmitri Patterson, Antwan Barnes, Antonio Garay, Mike Vick, and Chris Johnson.....that's a whole lot of fail right there.  Eric Decker has been OK, and Breno is serviceable.  Colon has been good at times, but his penalties negate a lot of the positives.

And then there's his drafting. In a nutshell: a whole lot of garbage, and Sheldon Richardson.

Yes he was saddled with Rex his first year.  But he could have fought to fire the guy if he didn't want him.  By agreeing to keep him another year, Rex became HIS coach.

The guy was unqualified to be a GM, and it showed in his performance.  Thankfully Woody moved on quickly from that disaster.

His ineptitude got Woody to finally smarten up, and clean house.

Costello talked to an "ex Jets employee" at the combine who said that the "whole team" was demoralized when Idzik didn't sign Revis, and that the team went into 2014 feeling like they couldn't win. This was when Patterson, Milliner, and McDougle were still healthy and on the roster, mind you. Oh, and the "team" was also upset that Rex wasn't given a long-term extension. Translation: Rex didn't get his money, so he half-assed rhe season like the spoiled, loser baby that he is. No player--rookie or no--is going to perform well when the coaching staff is busy filling out applications on Monster.com and firing off texts to Manish all day.

Costello talked to an "ex Jets employee" at the combine who said that the "whole team" was demoralized when Idzik didn't sign Revis, and that the team went into 2014 feeling like they couldn't win. This was when Patterson, Milliner, and McDougle were still healthy and on the roster, mind you. Oh, and the "team" was also upset that Rex wasn't given a long-term extension. Translation: Rex didn't get his money, so he half-assed rhe season like the spoiled, loser baby that he is. No player--rookie or no--is going to perform well when the coaching staff is busy filling out applications on Monster.com and firing off texts to Manish all day.

I'm not making excuses for Rex.  He deserved to be fired.

But your post is an even bigger indictment on Idzik. You can't keep giving a coach one year trials. The team overachieved in 2013.  You either give the coach a real extension, or you fire him.  

He created a toxic work environment by keeping Rex last year. The fact that Rex behaved unprofessionally in response to it compounded the issue.

I'm not making excuses for Rex. He deserved to be fired.

But your post is an even bigger indictment on Idzik. You can't keep giving a coach one year trials. The team overachieved in 2013. You either give the coach a real extension, or you fire him.

He created a toxic work environment by keeping Rex last year. The fact that Rex behaved unprofessionally as a result of it compounded the issue.

The owner kept the coach, clearly. Idzik had two options: quit, or wait Woody out on Rex. I do believe that part of the motivation for the lack of activity in free agency was to undercut the coach. In the short term, it rightfully cost him his job. In the bigger picture, it was the right move.

I'm not making excuses for Rex.  He deserved to be fired.

But your post is an even bigger indictment on Idzik. You can't keep giving a coach one year trials. The team overachieved in 2013.  You either give the coach a real extension, or you fire him.  

He created a toxic work environment by keeping Rex last year. The fact that Rex behaved unprofessionally in response to it compounded the issue.

IMO the whole thing was Woody's mess. First off, Rex should have been gone after 12, and the only reason Idzik was hired was because he appeared to be the most competent of a group of GM's who would even work with Rex in the first place. Had Rex been fired, Idzik never would have been hired.

Both Rex and Idzik were and are completely incompetent, and have no business being in the roles they were in with the Jets. That was on Woody, thankfully he came to his senses and got rid of both of them. Hopefully he got it right this time.

The owner kept the coach, clearly. Idzik had two options: quit, or wait Woody out on Rex. I do believe that part of the motivation of the lack of activity in free agency was to undercut the coach. In the short term, it rightfully cost him his job. In the bigger picture, it was the right move.

Idzik went in front of the team, with his arm around Rex, and shouted "This is our coach!"  In 2013, Rex was Woody's coach.  In 2014, Rex became Idzik's guy.  

Sabotaging Rex last year (if that's what he really did) is no better than Rex half-assing it as a result. Love him or hate him, you don't set your coach up to fail.  If Idzik really did that, then he was an even worse GM than we think. That's an extremely unprofessional move.

Woody never should have hired Idzik.  If you're going to fire your GM, and retain your coach, then the best move (in a bad situation) would be to let the coach bring in his own personnel man.  

The bright side is it appears as if Woody finally gets it now.

IMO the whole thing was Woody's mess. First off, Rex should have been gone after 12, and the only reason Idzik was hired was because he appeared to be the most competent of a group of GM's who would even work with Rex in the first place. Had Rex been fired, Idzik never would have been hired.

Both Rex and Idzik were and are completely incompetent, and have no business being in the roles they were in with the Jets. That was on Woody, thankfully he came to his senses and got rid of both of them. Hopefully he got it right this time.

I completely agree.

Idzik went in front of the team, with his arm around Rex, and shouted "This is our coach!"  In 2013, Rex was Woody's coach.  In 2014, Rex became Idzik's guy.  

Sabotaging Rex last year (if that's what he really did) is no better than Rex half-assing it as a result. Love him or hate him, you don't set your coach up to fail.  If Idzik really did that, then he was an even worse GM than we think. That's an extremely unprofessional move.

Woody never should have hired Idzik.  If you're going to fire your GM, and retain your coach, then the best move (in a bad situation) would be to let the coach bring in his own personnel man.  

Yup, exactomundo! Idzik did not need to do that nonsense with Rex in the locker room after going 8-8 with Rex, that changed everything.

Idzik went in front of the team, with his arm around Rex, and shouted "This is our coach!" In 2013, Rex was Woody's coach. In 2014, Rex became Idzik's guy.

Sabotaging Rex last year (if that's what he really did) is no better than Rex half-assing it as a result. Love him or hate him, you don't set your coach up to fail. If Idzik really did that, then he was an even worse GM than we think. That's an extremely unprofessional move.

Woody never should have hired Idzik. If you're going to fire your GM, and retain your coach, then the best move (in a bad situation) would be to let the coach bring in his own personnel man.

It's fine to say that Idzik should have been fired for the results on the field, but it needs to be acknowledged that he was doomed from the start. The team, with the existing coaching staff, was well on its way to an inevitable implosion. Idzik did well to ensure that the future prospects of the organization weren't trapped in the wreckage. There are no sh*tty contracts on this team right now, there's a ton of cap space, there's young talent on the roster, and solid personalities across the board. The alternative was to go throw tons of cap space at DRC and Mike Wallace while Rex chases 8 wins every year. Awesome.

Yup, exactomundo! Idzik did not need to do that nonsense with Rex in the locker room after going 8-8 with Rex, that changed everything.

Going 8-8 (and missing the playoffs for the third year in a row) was plenty of justification to fire Rex. Instead he kept him, but tried to keep him in "prove it" mode.  It was a terrible decision. 

Commit to him, or get rid of him.

It's fine to say that Idzik should have been fired for the results on the field, but it needs to be acknowledged that he was doomed from the start. The team, with the existing coaching staff, was well on its way to an inevitable implosion. Idzik did well to ensure that the future prospects of the organization weren't trapped in the wreckage. There are no sh*tty contracts on this team right now, there's a ton of cap space, there's young talent on the roster, and solid personalities across the board. The alternative was to go throw tons of cap space at DRC and Mike Williams while Rex chases 8 wins every year. Awesome.

It was a bad situation, and if he was smart he would have declined the job.  You don't force a coach on a new GM.  In that scenario, the coach should have had input on who to bring in.  While I think that would have ended just as badly, it's the only way it possibly could have worked.

I give him credit for the cap situation and Sheldon Richardson.  That's it.  The rest of the young talent on the roster came from Tannenbaum.

Going 8-8 (and missing the playoffs for the third year in a row) was plenty of justification to fire Rex. Instead he kept him, but tried to keep him in "prove it" mode.  It was a terrible decision. 

Commit to him, or get rid of him.

I agree, but I am not convinced that was Idzik's decision as much as it was Woody's call. Woody was the one who started out that disgusting 8-8 celebration in the locker room by declaring Rex would be coming back, not Idzik. Idzik just joined into the sh*t show and made it much worse.

I agree with Tom that he was destined to fail, but that does not make him any good either. IMO he was a moron for taking the job under those circumstances to begin with. These guys get one chance usually to get a job like that in their whole life, he will never get that chance again. He was not smart enough to stay away from the job like the real candidates were, so he deserves everything he got. He will never get another GM job in his life after this one.

In addition, his going all in with Geno was idiotic, and he clearly appeared to be in way over his head on many levels of the game. He handled last years draft horribly, and made very obvious decisions with the cap that even Tannenbaum could have made if he wasn't GM'ng for his job.

Just like most other business, if the main decision maker is making bad decisions, its tough to overcome them.

It was a bad situation, and if he was smart he would have declined the job.  You don't force a coach on a new GM.  In that scenario, the coach should have had input on who to bring in.  While I think that would have ended just as badly, it's the only way it possibly could have worked.

I give him credit for the cap situation and Sheldon Richardson.  That's it.  The rest of the young talent on the roster came from Tannenbaum.

Agree 100%

Archived