Newsday: Jets not expected to bring back Kyle Wilson (merged)

Maxman

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of 1st rounders, did anyone even notice that Bryan Thomas was no longer on the team nor is he even in the league anymore. Talk about going out with a whisper instead of a bang.

I just perused this list of 1st rounders since Woody took over in 2000 and I have to tell you, it's a pretty weak list....20 picks and I'd say they hit on maybe 25%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_New_York_Jets_first-round_draft_picks

This doesn't really create a hole in the secondary either. There are a few guys already on the team that aren't starting on the outside when the Jets bring in some better corners and could easily be slot and dime guys.

This is right, we had plenty of guys playing on the outside last year...all pretty much got beat up..but stick one of the better ones in the slot and they'll be fine.  Plus I think they're going to bring in two starters (I think Cro is a lock and someone else) put Miliner in the slot and you're fine.

I'm sure, at this point, Bowles knows what he's doing. 

My sense is day one of free agency - Cro signs.  and then we'll see who the number one will be...

Dee Milliner was the #9 overall pick.

Good luck on that one panning out as well.

Agreed, doesn't look good now. In his defense, he did start to show something last quarter of rookie year, with 3 int's and better overall play. But his injury history will probably be his downfall....something that should have been a prime factor in passing on him.

Agreed, doesn't look good now. In his defense, he did start to show something last quarter of rookie year, with 3 int's and better overall play. But his injury history will probably be his downfall....something that should have been a prime factor in passing on him.

I'd say his leash is slightly longer than the one that is tethering Kyle Wilson to this team and about to be let go of .

Jeremy Kerley is looking at his calendar now, and rubbing his hands together in anticipation, and was heard muttering to himself..."now WHEN do we play the Bills this season?"

Rex is mentioning Wilson being like Mike Haynes to Bills brass.

I was beaten to the punch on this comment by TomShane (oh the shame) but the thing I'll miss the most about him is him getting torched by 20 yards, having the Wr drop the pass or it be over thrown and then doing the finger wag.  I think the 1st day in camp all DB's have to learn the finger wag.

You know I never hated the Bills like I have hated the Dolphins and the Pats but with the Carny now running the show up there-it may just turn to pity

You must be too young to remember all the butt kickings administered by Jim Kelly to gang green. I do. Most of them were of the late comeback variety. It always seemed under Walton and Coslet that the Jets would have the lead a good many times, but always fold in the fourth quarter. They would always try something stupid to 'trick' the opponent and it would backfire.

NNNOOOOOO!!!!  What are we going to do without Wilson???  I'm going to miss the

"Wilson coverage dance" where his back is to the QB as he runs after a WR flailing his

arms and never locating the ball

You must be too young to remember all the butt kickings administered by Jim Kelly to gang green. I do. Most of them were of the late comeback variety. It always seemed under Walton and Coslet that the Jets would have the lead a good many times, but always fold in the fourth quarter. They would always try something stupid to 'trick' the opponent and it would backfire.

Did you just say that SoFlaJets is young?????

The interesting thing is that I don't think any of these picks are as bad as some of the picks the Jets made in the 90s because they all fit a need at the time and according to experts, they were either a steal at that spot or valued at that spot.

I remember experts calling Kyle Wilson a steal in the draft where we got him. 

So basically of all of the recent first round picks, 2 of them have really panned out (Wilkerson and Richardson),1 went so-so (Sanchez), and the others completely flamed out (Wilson, Gholston). Milliner and Pryor are undecided.

I love the fact that this is a Rex thing. Rex may have had input on the kid in the draft, but it was obvious he was never a fan.  Repeating Rex quotes is silly.  He said nice things about every player on the team.  That was his way.  I am willing to bet the Bills stay further away from him than the Jets.  I think he can be okay somewhere that he can play facing the QB more, but he isn't going to be more than okay and is a bad fit for the Jets and Bills IMO.

We should replace him with Walter Thurmond III.  He could hang with Miliner all day long.   Wilson looked promising but was a dud.  For a quick second the thought of Revis, Cro and this kid locking up the slot was a dream for a blizing defense.  Oh my how things have change.

Glad he can not be a complete liability on someone elses team...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2377725-kyle-wilson-latest-news-rumors-and-speculation-surrounding-free-agent-cb

hi-res-1e9cb70d7c0ea6fe5d2b8b95af329819_

USA TODAY Sports
Reads
Comments

Selected in the first round in 2010, the New York Jets once envisioned Kyle Wilson as an heir apparent to Darrelle Revis. Five disappointing years later, the two sides appear headed for a divorce.

Continue for updates.

Jets Not Expected to Pursue Wilson in Free Agency Wednesday, Feb. 25

Citing sources close to the situation, Kimberley A. Martin ofNewsday reported Wilson is "unlikely" to return in 2015. Wilson, 27, will become a free agent when the new league year starts next month. He spent his first five seasons with the Jets after being selected No. 29 overall out of Boise State.

Although he has never missed a game due to injury, Wilson has never really come close to living up to his first-round status. He's picked off only three career passes—none in the last two seasons—and did not start a game in 2014 despite the Jets secondary struggling mightily at times. Former head coach Rex Ryan, now with the Buffalo Bills, found some fleeting success putting Wilson in the slot in nickel coverages.

hi-res-737e29d004077428bdc2efb9755433d2_

Lynne Sladky/Associated Press

Pro Football Focus' grading system ranked Wilson 45th among corners in its coverage snaps per reception metric; he was 27th among slotcornerbacks. Opposing quarterbacks posted a 106.0 rating and completed more than two-thirds of their throws in Wilson's direction.

That the Jets would be interested in moving on is of little surprise. The team is two general managers removed from the staff that drafted him, and Ryan's departure in favor of former Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles leaves very few organizational ties.

It'll be interesting to see what type of interest Wilson receives overall on the free-agent market. He is still relatively young and not a complete liability in slot coverage. While a bit of a backhanded compliment, "not a complete liability" would be a major improvement for some teams looking to improve on the cheap. 

Follow Tyler Conway (@tylerconway22) on Twitter.

Archived