Trade up

Joe Jets fan

If the Jets think Mariota is a franchize QB why not move up to get him? 

Tampa Picks Winston

If Tenn. wants him then there is nothing we can do no matter what, but if they use there pick?  

Then jax uses their pick and does not trade it. 

Swaping picks with Oak would only cost us #6, this years 3rd rounder and we would also get their 5th round.

Now I know I am going by the chart but it does give some direction

Now, if Oak wants a WR and both White and Cooper are still on the board, which is not unlikely, then why wouldn't they do it?

Someone could offer them more but I would think they dont want to move to far down and not get a blue chip player. 

If this was an option and Macc thinks Mariota can become a franchize QB why not do it??  It has been so long waiting for a real QB.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tampa Picks Winston

If Tenn. wants him then there is nothing we can do no matter what, but if they use there pick?  

Swaping picks with Oak would only cost us #6, this years 3rd rounder and we would also get their 5th round.

Now, if Oak wants a WR and both White and Cooper are still on the board, which is not unlikely, then why wouldn't they do it?

Someone could offer them more but I would think they dont want to move to far down and not get a blue chip player. 

If this was an option and Macc thinks Mariota can become a franchize QB why not do it??  It has been so long waiting for a real QB.

Yes....agree.

This happening is quite plausible.  The only real issue is how much is Philly willing to give away to get him.  

You have to hope the Raiders really value the blue chip player.  They'll likely be in a position to get either White or Cooper at 6...it might be worth it to them to pick up a 3rd or 4th...

I posted almost the same thought in another thread before I saw this. 

Totally agree.  Only I'd get this lined up and sit on it until OAK picks.  What's interesting is if PHI was about to offer WAS a king's ransom for the pick, this would still put is in position to grab it (3-way deal where PHI doesn't have to give Foles to WAS) or pick Mariota.  It all hinges on OAK really wanting one of the top six guys but I think it's plausible.

I think it's bad that I am setting myself to hate anyone not named Mariotta on the jets. It has been so long since we had a franchise qb... Almost like we've been cursed since joe Namath made that guarantee stick.

I think unfortunately I'm already there. If we don't get Mariotta I'm going to be unhappy with any pick.

It's not that I love Mariotta all that much. just need a QB and gotta keep trying until we find one.

The only thing worse than taking Mariota would be trading up to take Mariota.

Nobody really knows what kind of NFL QB MM is going to be.   If the Jets do take Mariota at #6 it at least gives the franchise hope - something we haven't had since 2011.   I like the new HC, I like the new GM, but it's really tough to get excited about 2017 in Feb '15.  

The only thing worse than taking Mariota would be trading up to take Mariota.

Couldn't agree more. If Mariota actually wins a SB, he will be the first Heisman QB to do it since Jim Plunkett, who did it with a different team than the one who drafted him. If Mariota wins a SB for the team that drafts him, he will be the first Heisman QB to do it since Roger Staubach. Who, BTW, is the only Heisman QB ever to win a SB for the team that drafted him.

I think it's bad that I am setting myself to hate anyone not named Mariotta on the jets. It has been so long since we had a franchise qb... Almost like we've been cursed since joe Namath made that guarantee stick.

Trade up to draft a potential franchise QB, sounds familiar

sbuttfumble-2.gif?w=650

Tampa Picks Winston

If this was an option and Macc thinks Mariota can become a franchize QB why not do it?? It has been so long waiting for a real QB.

Jmo I think Raiders would move way down for multiple picks , bypassing both Wr's if they had to. (The Raiders are probably hoping they are in that position) Only player I don't think they would is for Leonard Williams.

I personally think it would be a mistake not to get one of the Wr's with there first pick.( Carr needs a true number 1 Wr)

I'm not Jack Delrio who specialty is defense ( those guys tend to draft players on their side of the ball.

He sees a player that can be a difference maker for his defense, you can bet he will pass drafting either Wr .

Couldn't agree more. If Mariota actually wins a SB, he will be the first Heisman QB to do it since Jim Plunkett, who did it with a different team than the one who drafted him. If Mariota wins a SB for the team that drafts him, he will be the first Heisman QB to do it since Roger Staubach. Who, BTW, is the only Heisman QB ever to win a SB for the team that drafted him.

So your two theories.

1) don't draft him because he was voted the best college football player?

2) don't try to draft a franchise QB because you failed before?

You wouldn't draft Winston either?

So your two theories.

1) don't draft him because he was voted the best college football player?

2) don't try to draft a franchise QB because you failed before?

You wouldn't draft Winston either?

Not theories, history. Thirty five years or so since a Heisman QB last won the 'bowl, and only two Heisman QB's all time have ever won one. Bigtime red flags in my mind.

And like Mariota, I would also take Winston. But only if either falls to the Jets in a later round. But no, I would not spend our #6 pick on either. The Jets have so many holes I would much prefer trading down for extra picks to fill them

Nobody really knows what kind of NFL QB MM is going to be. If the Jets do take Mariota at #6 it at least gives the franchise hope - something we haven't had since 2011. I like the new HC, I like the new GM, but it's really tough to get excited about 2017 in Feb '15.

What gave you hope about the Jets in 2011?

You know there are people that know far more about football than you ever will that completely disagree with you, right?

Then they don't know as much as you think.

You don't draft a project in the top ten. And you especially don't move up in the top ten to select one.

Archived