49ers Release Stevie Johnson

The Troll

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not wrong, the stats don't tell the entire picture, as I eluded to.

Kerley is a 5'10 slot WR, he has good ability in the slot, not very much of a threat on the outside his height and lack of size hurts him.  Stevie Johnson is a player that can play outside, two very different sets of ability in both players.

Short doesn't equal slot WR. 

Kerley has played outside and inside for us over that span of 2 years. I'm well aware that stats don't tell the whole story, but they do tell the story that Stevie Johnson hasn't been nearly as good as people are saying he is, especially in the case where someone compared him to Kerley.

Short doesn't equal slot WR. 

Kerley has played outside and inside for us over that span of 2 years. I'm well aware that stats don't tell the whole story, but they do tell the story that Stevie Johnson hasn't been nearly as good as people are saying he is, especially in the case where someone compared him to Kerley.

Stevie Johnson put up numbers of 79 and 82 catches for over 1,000 yds and 6 and 10 TD's 2010 and 2012, both under Gailey.  The Bills then drafted Manuel under Doug Marone, and the offense has been in shambles since.  Johnson was then let go after the 2013 season to test the market and I believe had been injured in the late part of 2013.

Folks aren't overhyping Johnson, they remember the planer he was under Gailey, as a #1 WR who put up good numbers.  Kerley would not have been able to put up those same numbers, his ability on the outside is limited, despite being a very good slot WR, who is a tough gritty player.   

Stevie Johnson put up numbers of 79 and 82 catches for over 1,000 yds and 6 and 10 TD's 2010 and 2012, both under Gailey.  The Bills then drafted Manuel under Doug Marone, and the offense has been in shambles since.  Johnson was then let go after the 2013 season to test the market and I believe had been injured in the late part of 2013.

Folks aren't overhyping Johnson, they remember the planer he was under Gailey, as a #1 WR who put up good numbers.  Kerley would not have been able to put up those same numbers, his ability on the outside is limited, despite being a very good slot WR, who is a tough gritty player.   

Nobody is denying what he did 3-4 years ago, which is why we're talking about the past 2 years. I'm not the one that initially compared him to Kerley, and yes, peopel were overhyping him, which is why I chimed in with a reality check.

Kerley actually has played better outside for us, than in the slot. He's not a precise route runner, and isn't all that "gritty". He's just not that great outside either. He's a pretty average JAG roleplayer, which is what Stevie Johnson has been the past 2 years.

I'm talking about what the players are now, not what they were. Stop making it everyone else's fault that your "want" for him to be good clouds your ability to assess him for what he is.

From ProFootballFocus

Steve Johnson split No. 3 duties with Brandon Lloyd behind Anquan Boldin and Michael Crabtree, finishing just behind Lloyd, fourth in total snaps in the group with 305 on the season. Letting Johnson go could free up more than $6m of cap space.

Johnson was only targeted 49 times but brought in 35 of them for 435 yards and three touchdowns, leading to a 102.0 passer rating on throws his way (28th in league). The majority of his work was done in the first half of the season, earning a+7.8 overall grade through Week 7 and seeing most of his chances in that span – 31 targets in those games as opposed to just 18 from that point on. His season effectively ended in Week 14 as he was counted out for each of the final three contests with a knee injury.

A joy to watch as a route runner, Johnson’s creativity and ability to work for leverage on coverage defenders sets him apart and his 2.13 Yards Per Route Run in limited work last season still ranked among the league’s Top 20 receivers. Running only 33% of his routes from the slot in SF (Boldin dominated that role) but more than 70% in his final season in Buffalo, Johnson could find a fit in that spot at his next stop.

Last year PFF had him ranked as the #22 WR, above Deker #24, Harvin #34,  Mike Wallace #53, Kerley #76

This is why I want him

Demariyus Thomas is getting tagged and next up is Dez Beyant. Why do people think this is an ultra deep FA pool at WR? We can just cut Harvin and ignore Stevie Johnson. Matt Moore is going to look great throwing to David Nelson and Chaz Schilens next year I guess

Nobody is denying what he did 3-4 years ago, which is why we're talking about the past 2 years. I'm not the one that initially compared him to Kerley, and yes, peopel were overhyping him, which is why I chimed in with a reality check.

Kerley actually has played better outside for us, than in the slot. He's not a precise route runner, and isn't all that "gritty". He's just not that great outside either. He's a pretty average JAG roleplayer, which is what Stevie Johnson has been the past 2 years.

I'm talking about what the players are now, not what they were. Stop making it everyone else's fault that your "want" for him to be good clouds your ability to assess him for what he is.

Huh?  Who is saying this?

My want for him to be good?  All I've done is present the facts, and my opinion of him as a player compared to Kerley, and what I think many in this thread are presenting as to why they want to see the Jets pursue Johnson. 

You are trying to suggest we have Kerley so we don't need Johnson, which is silly, they are both very different players, we need a player like Johnson, if he's healthy, and because he would have quite a bit of value coming in having played and excelled under Gailey and his system.

Huh?  Who is saying this?

My want for him to be good?  All I've done is present the facts, and my opinion of him as a player compared to Kerley, and what I think many in this thread are presenting as to why they want to see the Jets pursue Johnson. 

You are trying to suggest we have Kerley so we don't need Johnson, which is silly, they are both very different players, we need a player like Johnson, if he's healthy, and because he would have quite a bit of value coming in having played and excelled under Gailey and his system.

Stats are the facts - you said they don't tell the whole story. So yeah.

I never suggested not signing Johnson because we have Kerley, that is factually inaccurate. So yeah.

I'm saying to the dope who said Kerley is moist poop and SJ is the answer for us, that the two of them are much more even than he's insisting. You took on a bad argument on his behalf.

Test the market?  Wasn't he traded?  The Bills signed him to a big deal for 2012.  5 years/$36M, $11M guaranteed.  The Niners got him for a conditional pick.  I believe it is a 4th but would have been a 3rd if they kept him. Bills got Watkins and moved him.  I like Johnson and believe he is better than Kerley, but I question how cheap he is going to come.  He was due $6M this year and apparently the 49ers tried to get him to take a cut and he refused. There is a pretty good chance he will be expecting better than $3M per.   While we are dropping names, how about Ted Ginn?   He will cover the return game and add some value as a WR.  It is possible that Gailey could find some use for him and Bowles should have some insight.  Not a solution to the major WR problem, but a solution to some Jets problems.

The last two years are a fallacy?  It would make more sense to compare statistics from 2010?

No 2010 and 2011 when he performed exceptional in the role that Gailey made for him.  Just the year before in 2013 last he had over 50 catches and 600 yards in 12 games playing in Marrones ball control offense.  Even when he was the #4 target behind Crabtree, Boldin and Davis he was still productive when he got a shot.  SF had a young qb, that was not capable of doing multiple progressions last year and the team and not just Johnson suffered. 

I think Johnson at 3 years 18 mill is a much better value than Harvin at 3 years 32 mill. Hell Johnson's guarantee & SB  will be less than harvin's 2015 salary. And you get to keep the 100th pick in the draft.  With the 4.5mill diff you can pick up Vereen + Jacoby Jones who can give you the same flexibility including the return game.

Test the market?  Wasn't he traded?  The Bills signed him to a big deal for 2012.  5 years/$36M, $11M guaranteed.  The Niners got him for a conditional pick.  I believe it is a 4th but would have been a 3rd if they kept him. Bills got Watkins and moved him.  I like Johnson and believe he is better than Kerley, but I question how cheap he is going to come.  He was due $6M this year and apparently the 49ers tried to get him to take a cut and he refused. There is a pretty good chance he will be expecting better than $3M per.   While we are dropping names, how about Ted Ginn?   He will cover the return game and add some value as a WR.  It is possible that Gailey could find some use for him and Bowles should have some insight.  Not a solution to the major WR problem, but a solution to some Jets problems.

Of course he is not going to cost 3mill, he is going to cost 2x that.

Ahh, I knew my details were fuzzy on how he became a 49er...  Thanks for clarifying...

Stats are the facts - you said they don't tell the whole story. So yeah.

I never suggested not signing Johnson because we have Kerley, that is factually inaccurate. So yeah.

I'm saying to the dope who said Kerley is moist poop and SJ is the answer for us, that the two of them are much more even than he's insisting. You took on a bad argument on his behalf.

Heh, I have no stake on whoever "the dope" is you are referring to and his argument, I'm making my own regarding Johnson the player vs Kerley the player.  I like Johnson, I think he'd be a good pick-up and we wouldn't have to spend a lot of money to get him, his FA value isn't exactly very high right now.

Heh, I have no stake on whoever "the dope" is you are referring to and his argument, I'm making my own regarding Johnson the player vs Kerley the player.  I like Johnson, I think he'd be a good pick-up and we wouldn't have to spend a lot of money to get him, his FA value isn't exactly very high right now.

Bold is speculation. Not fact.

You made your own argument based on teh premise of the other dope's comment. 

You're arguing with me over something I'm not saying.

So yeah.

Bold is speculation. Not fact.

You made your own argument based on teh premise of the other dope's comment. 

You're arguing with me over something I'm not saying.

So yeah.

I made my own argument based on something you said, you also said I was wrong, and I wasn't, I don't care about that "other dope's" (your words) comment

So, do we do this all day, or do you need the last word?

I made my own argument based on something you said, you also said I was wrong, and I wasn't, I don't care about that "other dope's" (your words) comment

he needs the last word, don't get sucked in.. Save your brainpower for something less painful like hammering a nail into a brick with your forehead

I can go all day. I am powered by your lack of self-awareness and undeniable talent for stating "facts" and arguing the opposite of that.

From ProFootballFocus

Steve Johnson split No. 3 duties with Brandon Lloyd behind Anquan Boldin and Michael Crabtree, finishing just behind Lloyd, fourth in total snaps in the group with 305 on the season. Letting Johnson go could free up more than $6m of cap space.

Johnson was only targeted 49 times but brought in 35 of them for 435 yards and three touchdowns, leading to a 102.0 passer rating on throws his way (28th in league). The majority of his work was done in the first half of the season, earning a+7.8 overall grade through Week 7 and seeing most of his chances in that span – 31 targets in those games as opposed to just 18 from that point on. His season effectively ended in Week 14 as he was counted out for each of the final three contests with a knee injury.

A joy to watch as a route runner, Johnson’s creativity and ability to work for leverage on coverage defenders sets him apart and his 2.13 Yards Per Route Run in limited work last season still ranked among the league’s Top 20 receivers. Running only 33% of his routes from the slot in SF (Boldin dominated that role) but more than 70% in his final season in Buffalo, Johnson could find a fit in that spot at his next stop.

Last year PFF had him ranked as the #22 WR, above Deker #24, Harvin #34, Mike Wallace #53, Kerley #76

This is why I want him

I do like PFF, but they once ranked Davone Bess as a top five WR. Their WR formulas are very much skewed towards catch percentage, regardless of how impactful the results. He averaged 12 yards a catch and had a long of 32. He's a dime a dozen possession receiver, not the 22nd best receiver in football.

I do like PFF, but they once ranked Davone Bess as a top five WR. Their WR formulas are very much skewed towards catch percentage, regardless of how impactful the results. He averaged 12 yards a catch and had a long of 32. He's a dime a dozen possession receiver, not the 22nd best receiver in football.

Pryor made PFF's All-Rookie team. I mean...come on. 

From ProFootballFocus

Steve Johnson split No. 3 duties with Brandon Lloyd behind Anquan Boldin and Michael Crabtree, finishing just behind Lloyd, fourth in total snaps in the group with 305 on the season. Letting Johnson go could free up more than $6m of cap space.

Johnson was only targeted 49 times but brought in 35 of them for 435 yards and three touchdowns, leading to a 102.0 passer rating on throws his way (28th in league). The majority of his work was done in the first half of the season, earning a+7.8 overall grade through Week 7 and seeing most of his chances in that span – 31 targets in those games as opposed to just 18 from that point on. His season effectively ended in Week 14 as he was counted out for each of the final three contests with a knee injury.

Last year PFF had him ranked as the #22 WR, above Deker #24, Harvin #34,  Mike Wallace #53, Kerley #76

This is why I want him

Nice writ-up. Thanks for posting.

I'd sign up for Stevie in a NY (or NJ) minute

If he is going to cost $6M why couldn't the Niners just trade him?  They had him locked up for the next two at around $12M.

Yes they could probably trade him for a late draft choice, but teams know he will be cut sooner or later and rather keep the choice. They still have not cut him either, they are just asking him to take a cut. The OP got ahead of himself. 

Yes they could probably trade him for a late draft choice, but teams know he will be cut sooner or later and rather keep the choice. They still have not cut him either, they are just asking him to take a cut. The OP got ahead of himself. 

The OP didn't get ahead of himself.  The twitter people he was quoting got ahead of themselves.

I can go all day. I am powered by your lack of self-awareness and undeniable talent for stating "facts" and arguing the opposite of that.

So can I.  What exactly am I not aware of and arguing against the facts? 

No reason to get all full of yourself, I understand some of what you're saying, and wasn't looking to get in the middle of your pissing match, but I disagree with your take on Kerley vs Johnson.

So can I.  What exactly am I not aware of and arguing against the facts? 

No reason to get all full of yourself, I understand some of what you're saying, and wasn't looking to get in the middle of your pissing match, but I disagree with your take on Kerley vs Johnson.

You're entitled to disagree, but don't argue that you're presenting facts, when you are in fact dismissing the facts (statistics) and pushing your opinion. The stats don't lie. The part of the story they don't tell is your opinion, frankly, and while I get what you are saying I just don't agree with it.

I've spelled out for you the flaw in how you're approaching this conversation, it's lost on you apparently.

I did not see any quotes in his post.

He has not yet been released. It was erroneously reported by several reputable sites a few days ago.

When I went to rotoworld yesterday they actually had a blurb saying he was asked to take a pay cut on top of two saying he had already been cut. 

He has not yet been released. It was erroneously reported by several reputable sites a few days ago.

Well that sucks!! 6 pages of speculation for nothing! Ha! This is why the NFL needs to tighten up the dates between the combine, FA and the Draft...

Way too much time for speculatin' :character0053:

You're entitled to disagree, but don't argue that you're presenting facts, when you are in fact dismissing the facts (statistics) and pushing your opinion. The stats don't lie. The part of the story they don't tell is your opinion, frankly, and while I get what you are saying I just don't agree with it.

I've spelled out for you the flaw in how you're approaching this conversation, it's lost on you apparently.

However you want to spin it, the facts are Johnson is a better WR than Kerley, the two have completely different skill sets, this is fact, this is what I'm arguing, and there are no flaws with that!

Archived