Woody leaning on Maccagnan to bring Darrelle Revis back

Morrissey

Woody Johnson leaning on his G.M. to bring Darrelle Revis back

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 3, 2015, 6:11 AM EST

673f914d4f3f83e09c393ebc3eced31e-e142538AP

Woody Johnson was quick to say he “misspoke” last year when he blatantly “tampered” with Patriots cornerback Darrelle Revis.

Apparently, he’s still talking about Revis, but keeping it within his building.

According to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News,  Johnson “has been involved in serious internal discussions” with General Manager Mike Maccagnan to make a push for Revis if and when he becomes available.

The Patriots would have to pick up a $20 million option bonus by March 9, part of the “placeholder” deal that helped Revis win his first Super Bowl. They’re working on a long-term deal to keep Revis there, and if nothing else, reports of Jets interest will at least make it more expensive.

But the Jets need Revis perhaps more than ever, since new coach Todd Bowles depends on his corners playing press-man so he can blitz more.

So it’s one thing for Johnson to say he’d “love to have Darrelle back,” but it’s easier to put that plan into motion now. The Jets have $51 million in cap room, and the means to bring him back.

Now they just have to get him away from the Patriots, and every other team in the AFC with a link to him and a need (Rex Ryan in Buffalo and Mike Tannenbaum in Miami).

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/03/woody-johnson-leaning-on-his-g-m-to-bring-darrelle-revis-back/

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope it's true. Beside really needing a corner with his ability, I have no ill will towards Revis, he'll always be a Jet to me. Other than maybe Curtis Martin, I've never seen a Jet as good as him.

Revis is the best player I've ever seen in a Jets uniform in my lifetime, no question.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

"blatantly tampered", really Manish? I totally got that from the interview. 

Manish is really becoming the foreskin of the sports writing world, you can totally cut him off. 

As for Revis, we should have paid him 3 years ago. He's not the same player today but he'll want the same money. 

Manish is a tool with no inside information;

Jets should sign; McCourty, Worlids, Cro and Jackson for the same money

I agree our secondary needs three viable starters from free agency to be fixed. Personally I would go McCourty, Maxwell and Cro for same or less money than what Revis cost

You would think that Manish WANTS to see the Jets lose a pick for tampering with articles like this.

This is nothing to do with the tampering charges. Woody was on camera saying exactly what the rules specify what you can not say.  The jets need a corner, the owner says he wants him, Revis says in an interview that the jets were his first choice.  It is not tampering to have internal discussions regarding a player.  Any way the tampering charge will be decided in the league meeting the last weekend in March as they were in the Detroit/KC andn SF/Chicago episodes. 

Revis' agents loooovveeee using Woody Johnson for leverage.

Woody shouldn't be telling anybody how to build the team. THIS is the reason why mumbles and Parcells both left. hopefully Mac will tell him to sit down and stfu.

I agree our secondary needs three viable starters from free agency to be fixed. Personally I would go McCourty, Maxwell and Cro for same or less money than what Revis cost

Please tell me how? If a team makes revis the highest paid CB in the league at 13.5 mill a year. to get those three will be about 22 mill , You can get two of them though.

McCourty Gets a deal between Goldson/Weddle  and Berry/Thomas say 9mil a year. (tag being 9.6)

Maxwell as the #1 corner in FA will get Chris Harris # at 5 and 42

Cro will most likely get 2 and 7 ( he made 4 mill last year) 

This is nothing to do with the tampering charges. Woody was on camera saying exactly what the rules specify what you can not say.  The jets need a corner, the owner says he wants him, Revis says in an interview that the jets were his first choice.  It is not tampering to have internal discussions regarding a player.  Any way the tampering charge will be decided in the league meeting the last weekend in March as they were in the Detroit/KC andn SF/Chicago episodes.

Woody's a total dufus. If he let the GMs do their job we might have won a SB. He's much too reactionary, now he wants Revis back after he realizes his mistake. Too late.

Who isn't? The Jets traded him because of $

The Jets traded him because every time they gave him the $ he said he wanted, he asked for more.  Gotta draw the line somewhere.  If the Jets kept going down that road he'd be on the roster now making $40 million a year.  Not prudent IMO.

so 3 options

woody leaked this

macc leaked this

mehta made it up

hmmm........

or

Goodell leaked this to Mehta to get Pats a draft pick that he's about to take away for DeflateGate

Peter King gave it to Mehta to help get Pats a draft pick

Mehta hates the Jets and wants them to lose a pick 'cause it makes for great headlines...

Hmmm....

or

Goodell leaked this to Mehta to get Pats a draft pick that he's about to take away for DeflateGate

Peter King gave it to Mehta to help get Pats a draft pick

Mehta hates the Jets and wants them to lose a pick 'cause it makes for great headlines...

Hmmm....

The pats are not going to lose anything regarding deflate gate, They will be exonerated entirely, I don't want to derail this thread, but there is a thread already regarding deflategate.

The pats are not going to lose anything regarding deflate gate, They will be exonerated entirely, I don't want to derail this thread, but there is a thread already regarding deflategate.

This isn't about "DeflateGate" this is about Mehta being a media thorn in the Jets side and is always looking to screw them over.

Aren't we touchy this morning.

This isn't about "DeflateGate" this is about Mehta being a media thorn in the Jets side and is always looking to screw them over.

Aren't we touchy this morning.

Manish is actually helping the jets make Pats or Bills or Phins  spend more for Revis by faking interest.

Archived