Jets Introduce Variable Ticket Pricing For Season Ticket Holders (no increase in total price)

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-9/Jets-Season-Ticket-Prices-Will-Remain-Flat-for-2015/e77fe868-4dde-4131-8971-19ed8c86a02a

Looks like the total cost of season tickets will remain the same, but the Jets announced variable pricing. I never sell a game, so this has no impact on me. I am curious how everyone else will react though. Seems like it will take the margins out of the top games for resellers and make selling the bad games easier. Hopefully it gets more Jets fans in the seats. 

Details Will Be Sent to Season Ticket Holders via Email and in First-Class Mailings Later This Week

The New York Jets have announced today that ticket prices will remain flat for season ticket holders attending games at MetLife Stadium for the 2015 season.

Details of the renewal package for season ticket holders for the upcoming season will be available via email on Wednesday and in first-class mailings being sent out later this week.

The Jets in 2015 will expand variable pricing to include season tickets. Variable pricing assigns different prices to individual games to better reflect the value and expected demand for each game. For example, preseason games will be in the lowest price category, marquee matchups will be in the highest category, and other games will fall in between. The total price for season tickets, however, will remain the same.

More details on variable pricing will be available after the NFL announces the full playing schedule.

Metlife Stadium

The New York Jets announced a new variable pricing structure for season ticket holders today. I was told that the net effect is zero, meaning ticket prices for the entire season will remain the same as last year. What this means though is the “A” games will be more expensive, with the less attractive games having a lower face value. This is how the Jets explain variable pricing:

Variable pricing, which many NFL teams have recently implemented, assigns different price categories to individual games within your season ticket package to better reflect the value of and expected demand for each game.

The impact here seems to be on the secondary market for re-sellers.

Details Will Be Sent to Season Ticket Holders via Email and in First-Class Mailings Later This Week

The New York Jets have announced today that ticket prices will remain flat for season ticket holders attending games at MetLife Stadium for the 2015 season.

Details of the renewal package for season ticket holders for the upcoming season will be available via email on Wednesday and in first-class mailings being sent out later this week.

The Jets in 2015 will expand variable pricing to include season tickets. Variable pricing assigns different prices to individual games to better reflect the value and expected demand for each game. For example, preseason games will be in the lowest price category, marquee matchups will be in the highest category, and other games will fall in between. The total price for season tickets, however, will remain the same.

More details on variable pricing will be available after the NFL announces the full playing schedule.

Jets Rewards is also coming back for

You can read more about the impact to in our forums.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
tg9jw8lMHzw

View the full article

I'm surprised it's taken NFL teams long to bring in such a thing - European soccer clubs have been charging variable prices depending on the opposition for years.

I wonder how much the range will vary from A b and C games.

What's the actual attendance #s for Jets games? I feel like they report tix sold and not attendance.

And as much as I love going to games, the TV experience is better.

I know what u mean.  I wish I can be at the tail gating festivities and then transported to my couch for the start of the game.

It'll be interesting to see what they come up with for pricing. Prices in the LSL sections were $154 last season. Based on that scale, an argument could be made that say the 4th preseason game should be priced @$50 (probably should be even less). And then say a game vs a lower team (Jags, Browns...) should be priced @$120 or so. So a "big" game during the regular season could easily be priced @$250+.

This could be pretty bad for the NFL Ticket Exchange. As it is, a seller cannot list tickets below face. It just doesn't allow you to. Imagine a Dec matchup vs the Pats. New variable pricing sets the price @$250. Then figure a season like we just had where the season is basically over in Oct.

Stubhub would have listings for those tickets for probably $125 or less, while the Ticket Exchange forces prices of no lower than $250. Only a fool would purchase tickets on that site. Whoever profits from Ticket Exchange can't be too happy about this.

Or of course they'll remove the minimum price from Ticket Exchange.

So someone please explain to me whats the point of variable pricing for season tickets? Im guessing its for people who split season tickets with others...

I imagine this will lead to some arguments for those that split seats.

So someone please explain to me whats the point of variable pricing for season tickets?  Im guessing its for people who split season tickets with others... 

1) It will keep the margins lower for STHs selling their seats to individual games on the secondary market as well as keeping the resale prices more competitive.

2) It should help the Jets sell more "single game" seats for the pre season and regular season "dog" games.

So someone please explain to me whats the point of variable pricing for season tickets?  Im guessing its for people who split season tickets with others... 

I'll use my seats.  I never miss a game.  My dad and sister do on occasion.  Our seats cost $65 each $650 for the season.  Now let's say the Jets decide to value preseason at $20 a ticket and then raise the price of other games to $85, maybe make some $55 it helps when someone cannot attend a game.  They miss a game that is $55 then I can ask whoever buys their ticket for $55.  They miss a game for $85 I can do the same.  Less complaining about the cost of preseason tickets and not being able to get that cost back.

Will it help?  Who knows? It only hurts one person and that is ticket brokers.

I haven't thought about this enough to have a strong opinion either way. I guess my main reaction is I'll be making a payment for the same amount as last year at the same time for my season tix, and that's better than a net increase. And I still hope to go to all of the games (which was hard last year due to work, but hoping to rebound this year). A few folks I invite have tossed me a few bucks last couple years, so it may be a little awkward with the variable pricing. But I'll usually do something like "you buy the beer" type of deals when I invite someone, so it most likely won't significantly impact me one way or another.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-9/Jets-Season-Ticket-Prices-Will-Remain-Flat-for-2015/e77fe868-4dde-4131-8971-19ed8c86a02a

Looks like the total cost of season tickets will remain the same, but the Jets announced variable pricing. I never sell a game, so this has no impact on me. I am curious how everyone else will react though. Seems like it will take the margins out of the top games for resellers and make selling the bad games easier. Hopefully it gets more Jets fans in the seats. 

I don't like this one bit for the following reason:

I've been donating my pre season tix to United Way charities for the past 20 years and take the tax deduction for the full face value.  Now the face value on those tickets will be much lower.

Amazing how the Jets ticket office finds new ways to screw you every single year.  I suppose I could average out the prices and risk taking the deduction the way I always do.  I highly doubt it would trigger an audit.  But really?  

I've been donating my pre season tix to United Way charities for the past 20 years and take the tax deduction for the full face value.  Now the face value on those tickets will be much lower.

Amazing how the Jets ticket office finds new ways to screw you every single year.  I suppose I could average out the prices and risk taking the deduction the way I always do.  I highly doubt it would trigger an audit.  But really?  

Yeah, I would take the same deduction.  :)

I would like to hear what "SAR I" has to say on this matter.

Me too the guy is very knowledgable when it comes to PSLs,seating locations,tickets and ticket prices.

Many pro sports teams have instituted variable ticket pricing, but its really designed for MLB or other sports with very long seasons and perhaps only 30% of the seats in the hands of season ticket holders.  It's especially useful in these "10 game fan packs" which are a blend of a few good games and a few lame ones.

From an NFL perspective, this gives the Jets the benefit of controlling the market to an extent.  For any unsold seats they can control the pricing and better compete with Stubhub. Like it or not, the market dictated that last year's Bills game was only worth half price. The Jets were stuck because if a $100 ticket was selling on Stubhub for $50 it was impossible for the Jets to do likewise without pissing off all the season ticket holders. So the Jets were 2x as expensive as the market and it was hard for them to get those seats sold.  Now they can state their intentions up front and no one's feelings are hurt, in that example with variable pricing the Jets can charge $50 just like Stubhub with no issue.

Since I use Stubhub to sell games I can't attend and since the community dictates the values and the pricing and there is no disclosure of face value, I don't think this will impact me but that's only because of my seat location.  Thinking about a typical PSL holder in a section with some unsold seats around him, the Jets will have just become his aftermarket competitor.  And if they offer, say, a free t-shirt or a coupon for a free beer, that could cause him to lose his opportunity to sell on Stubhub and that's the Jets working against their fans.

SAR I

How much is that actually worth? If the 2 tickets for 2 games are now on average $25 cheaper, that's $100 bucks net impact is what $30.. why risk it

• Upvote 1

Something else:   From an NFL perspective, this is a dangerous situation from a standpoint of competitive balance.

Revenue sharing is huge for the NFL, they've written books on how Rozelle transformed the sport and maintained large and small market powerhouses.  When it comes to TV contracts and NFL Properties, it's all split evenly, all 32 teams get an equal share.  But when it comes to ticket revenue, different story.  Home teams get 60% of the gate and road teams get 40%.

So if Woody Johnson takes an average $125 seat and makes it $75 for the Bills game and $175 for the Patriots game, the Bills would get $2.4M for playing that game instead of $4.1M which is a significant hit to their tiny bottom line.  The inverse is that the super successful Patriots would take $5.8M instead of the usual $4.1M and the rich get richer. Doesn't impact the Jets as the home team because the blended average doesn't change. But as a 'bad' NFL team right now, should all our road opponents de-value our game like this we'd get hit in the pocketbook which isn't good for the non-cap areas that support the team.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

...or just donate them to feel good and pay your income tax. Deducting the parts of a package deal that have virtually no monetary value on their own "screws" us all, no? ;)

• Upvote 2

...or just donate them to feel good and pay your income tax. Deducting the parts of a package deal that have virtually no monetary value on their own "screws" us all, no? ;)

Charitable giving deductions increase donations from the private sector that in a lot of cases would come from public funds. And as someone that was asked at one point in life to "make a wish" by the make a wish foundation-although at the time I told them to get the eff out of my hospital room -- I appreciate the contributions to real charity organizations. Not every tax loophole is terrible.

Yes and yes.

The Jets cannot and will not control  or dictate what season ticket holders do with their tickets on the resale market.  

If its a big game and a chance at a payday for some season ticket holders they will sell out if its a crappy game and they can't sell them they will sell to anyone who will buy them including opposing teams fans.