Jets Introduce Variable Ticket Pricing For Season Ticket Holders (no increase in total price)

Maxman

Charitable giving deductions increase donations from the private sector that in a lot of cases would come from public funds. And as someone that was asked at one point in life to "make a wish" by the make a wish foundation-although at the time I told them to get the eff out of my hospital room -- I appreciate the contributions to real charity organizations. Not every tax loophole is terrible.

I didn't say it was. But even Dcat got where I was coming from. He couldn't sell them for face value unless he was a hell of a salesman but they're being donated as having a value they don't have. It's the very reason he's forced to buy them in the package. Absent that, Woody would struggle to sell 10% of the preseason tickets at their alleged face value. If they had that value and then some, he could sell them and donate the proceeds. The reason he doesn't is obvious: his reduced tax payments are greater than the amount he could sell the tickets for. And it's a sure thing "buyer" that requires far less effort (other than stamping an envelope and keeping a record). No bullsh*t dealing with stubhub (who also takes a big chunk out) or others undercutting your price or even worse, meeting up with a total stranger to buy them. Easier and more personally profitable to just donate them.

It's not remotely the same as the numerous checks Mrs. Sperm and I have written and continue to write to the very children's hospital you received care in (and others). I don't think cancer treatments and research are paid for with Jets preseason tickets that no one wants to buy for more than a couple of dollars (if at all). And we certainly don't make any net profit from money donations, whether deductible or otherwise.

I didn't say it was. But even Dcat got where I was coming from. He couldn't sell them for face value unless he was a hell of a salesman but they're being donated as having a value they don't have. It's the very reason he's forced to buy them in the package. Absent that, Woody would struggle to sell 10% of the preseason tickets at their alleged face value. If they had that value and then some, he could sell them and donate the proceeds. The reason he doesn't is obvious: his reduced tax payments are greater than the amount he could sell the tickets for. And it's a sure thing "buyer" that requires far less effort (other than stamping an envelope and keeping a record). No bullsh*t dealing with stubhub (who also takes a big chunk out) or others undercutting your price or even worse, meeting up with a total stranger to buy them. Easier and more personally profitable to just donate them.

It's not remotely the same as the numerous checks Mrs. Sperm and I have written and continue to write to the very children's hospital you received care in (and others). I don't think cancer treatments and research are paid for with Jets preseason tickets that no one wants to buy for more than a couple of dollars (if at all). And we certainly don't make any net profit from money donations, whether deductible or otherwise.

My point was taking advantage of a tax deduction through donations isn't something screwing everyone else. Of course it is advantageous to the giver to give an asset with an overvalued price on paper, but without these tax advantages a lot of private sector charitable giving wouldn't happen.

Don't want to derail the thread further and of course I wasn't insinuating you hate people with cancer Spermie ;) lol

My point was taking advantage of a tax deduction through donations isn't something screwing everyone else. Of course it is advantageous to the giver to give an asset with an overvalued price on paper, but without these tax advantages a lot of private sector charitable giving wouldn't happen.

Don't want to derail the thread further and of course I wasn't insinuating you hate people with cancer Spermie ;) lol

They're preseason tickets that have no monetary value, Joe. If they did, then he'd sell them. I don't see it as being in the same universe as a check I write. I don't agree for a variety of reasons, that I'm not going into here, that people wouldn't donate money without being able to deduct a multiple of the value of what they're donating.

Agree on derailing the thread, which I admit I did start. :)

Archived