McCourty @ FS

LAD_Brooklyn

We didn't get Bryd last year however to get McCourty would solve our need of a ball hawk safety as well as take him away from a division rival. Would he take a hometown discount to come to NJ? I doubt it but if things are equal money wise hopefully the jets get the benefit of the doubt.

Would love for them to add McCourty but there's going to be a lot of interest in his services.  Hoping if all offers are equal/similar, he chooses to stay close to home and sign with the Jets.  Gonna' be tough to get him to walk away from a perennial SB contender though.

Why would he take a hometown discount? He's the top safety out there. If he's gonna take a hometown discount from anybody it's with the Pats. Why would he take less money and leave a superbowl winning team? And why would we be low balling him? We have more cap space than anyone else in the league and we're desperate for a centerfielder. He shouldn't have to take a hometown discount. I'm all for Macc'les paying him market value and offering him whatever they feel like he's worth.

With 50+ million in cap space right now which may jump to 60+ million if we cut Harvin

we really don't have to choose between FS & CB.  Sign McCourty and two "ascending"

CB's like Kareem Jackson (HOU) and Davon House (GB)

Love McCourty.

Why don't we just bite the bullet & sign Revis & McCourty

What the hell else are we gonna spend this money?

Hurts our best competition in our division!

Plus you would have 2 guys that practiced vs the Pats defense.

Draft Fowler

Chase & smash Brady & those 5 yard receiving WRs!

Cut Harvin & do it!

Fill out the offense with 2nd tier FAs like Smith/Forsett ect. & the rest of the draft (2-7)

With 50+ million in cap space right now which may jump to 60+ million if we cut Harvin

we really don't have to choose between FS & CB.  Sign McCourty and two "ascending"

Or sign Revis/ McCourty & draft Fowler @ 6 & have a GREAT DEFENSE!

Especially if you got SUPER LUCKY and both Milliner & McDougle can come back & be eased into Nickle & dime defenses.

McCourty , AA & Pryor would be AWESOME for Bowles BIG NICKEL defense.

Imagine Revis locking up one side of the field & those 3 guys & maybe Williams at CB?

Arent we already at $60 million with the $10 million increase from the NFL with Harvin under contract? 

Love McCourty.

Why don't we just bite the bullet & sign Revis & McCourty

What the hell else are we gonna spend this money?

Hurts our best competition in our division!

Plus you would have 2 guys that practiced vs the Pats defense.

Draft Fowler

Chase & smash Brady & those 5 yard receiving WRs!

Cut Harvin & do it!

Fill out the offense with 2nd tier FAs like Smith/Forsett ect. & the rest of the draft (2-7)

I want Harvin to stay, however if he "needs" to be dropped for this to happen then proceed with it.

Edit: No way am I drafting Flowers. We should be focus on offense with Harvin cut. Mariota, Cooper or White.

FS McCourty, SS Pryor, CB Revis, CB House, CB Milliner would be a secondary better then the legion of boom. Add Worild and it could very much be as good or better than our '08 and '09 defense.

Agree agree agree along with adding LB Acho we need some speed at the position desperately 

CB >>>> Safety

I have to disagree there buddy. Having a legit FS relieves stress at the CB positions as well as allows Pryor to do what he does best. Getting a Revis for example will shut down half the field but we'd still be exposed over the top and they'd have to limit what Pryor does best by playing him more in zone situations. We need to to protect over the top and we need to keep things simple and consistent for pryor. Getting serviceable CB's with McCourty over the top and Pryor disrupting TE's and adding in run support would get the job done. 

Yeah, only they can't possibly be that brilliant because two of those guys got jobs one of the others vacated.

What does that have to do with anything? You were suggesting that last years top free agent safeties were total busts. When really it had more to do with where those guys landed. The Saints defense sucks. A safety isn't going to help you there. Same goes for the Buccs defense. Whitner landed in a good spot in Cleveland, they have a good defense so he was able to play at a Pro Bowl level. Same goes for Bethea (SF) and Ward (DEN). McCourty in this defense would have similar success. I can't see a top notch cover safety not be able to play at an All Pro level in this defense. Especially with all the guys around him once everything is said and done (FA/Draft). I mean we'll (hopefully) have a legit edge rusher, a legit #1 corner, an elite front 7 along with decent cornerbacks and Pryor roaming around as well. McCourty is too skilled and too smart to not function in a defense like that. But we'll see I guess.

I have to disagree there buddy. Having a legit FS relieves stress at the CB positions as well as allows Pryor to do what he does best. Getting a Revis for example will shut down half the field but we'd still be exposed over the top and they'd have to limit what Pryor does best by playing him more in zone situations. We need to to protect over the top and we need to keep things simple and consistent for pryor. Getting serviceable CB's with McCourty over the top and Pryor disrupting TE's and adding in run support would get the job done.

You can disagree but you're wrong. A CB is 100 times more valuable than a safety and its not even a conversation.

This example in particular is even more ridiculous, he's going to want top value and as we've seen around the league, it's not worth it.

You can disagree but you're wrong. A CB is 100 times more valuable than a safety and its not even a conversation.

This example in particular is even more ridiculous, he's going to want top value and as we've seen around the league, it's not worth it.

The example is even more ridiculous because a top safety wants top money and its too much for a team that's sitting on 60 million to spend? You should have just saved that second sentence and went with the first. I could accept that one. But there's nothing ridiculous about paying a top player at his position what his position warrants in compensation. 

I do agree with your position that generally the CB position is more valuable, but the conversation that I was bringing forth was based on the Jets unique situation which I explained as my reason. I didnt simply say "Your wrong. FS>>>>CB". 

We didn't get Bryd last year however to get McCourty would solve our need of a ball hawk safety as well as take him away from a division rival. Would he take a hometown discount to come to NJ? I doubt it but if things are equal money wise hopefully the jets get the benefit of the doubt.

Why would he take less money to go to the jets than stay with the pats, what to play in a state with a much higher tax rate?  If he goes to the jets it will because they out bid Tenn to play with his brother.

Why would he take less money to go to the jets than stay with the pats, what to play in a state with a much higher tax rate?  If he goes to the jets it will because they out bid Tenn to play with his brother.

I totally dismiss that suggestion the sentence after to the point i probably should have back space but too lazy to do so. However not sure why a reader wouldnt pick that up as thinking out loud or totally ignoring it themselves.

So i agree it would be foolish to take a discount, however I still hope he wants to play near home with things being even bewteen him and a team like the Eagles who are interested.

Archived