McCourty @ FS

LAD_Brooklyn

Getting McCourty makes too much sense; I don't see how anyone doesn't get this.  And with 50 million it is not mutually exclusive from getting a cornerback or even two.   We get a young veteran FS to pair with Pryor an allow him to be a more in the box SS and at the same time we weaken a division rival.  What's not to like?

Reading McCourty is home sick? Wouldn't mind playing for the Jets or Giants,i like our chances wine & dine him

So a grown man, who makes millions of dollars, just won a Super Bowl and lives only 4 hours from where he grew up gives the Giants/Jets some kind of advantage to sign him?

So a grown man, who makes millions of dollars, just won a Super Bowl and lives only 4 hours from where he grew up gives the Giants/Jets some kind of advantage to sign him?

yeah why not they didn't franchise tag him, he's up for grabs revis too.

I totally dismiss that suggestion the sentence after to the point i probably should have back space but too lazy to do so. However not sure why a reader wouldnt pick that up as thinking out loud or totally ignoring it themselves.

So i agree it would be foolish to take a discount, however I still hope he wants to play near home with things being even bewteen him and a team like the Eagles who are interested.

Well we don't know if you felt foolish after writing something.   There are jet posters who believe there is value in playing in playing for the largest fanbase in the sport and that players could recoup funds there.

We didn't get Bryd last year however to get McCourty would solve our need of a ball hawk safety as well as take him away from a division rival. Would he take a hometown discount to come to NJ? I doubt it but if things are equal money wise hopefully the jets get the benefit of the doubt.

he is from the area,,anyone know if he grew up a Giants, Jets or eagles fan?

I know the entire board thinks that the free agency period is going to be a total bust if we don't sign McCorty, Iupati, Maxwell, Torrey Smith, Jerry Hughes and Spiller, but...

The local papers here have the Redskins going after, in order: 1. McCorty, 2. Orlando Franklin, 3. Torrey Smith, 4. Stefan Wisniewski, and 5. Thurmond. That is just the 'skins.  There are another 30 teams and they pretty much are all going to be looking at the same guys.  Bowles was a secondary coach.  He tried and failed with the dream team in Philly.  He may prefer working with guys with less ego.  I am willing to bet that they make a run at the name guys like McCorty and Maxwell, but I think when the smoke clears they will have signed one of the top tier CBs.  The rest I don't expect.  I certainly do not believe the are getting Maxwell or Culliver plus Cromartie and McCorty

he is from the area,,anyone know if he grew up a Giants, Jets or eagles fan?

Who cares? Parcel was the giants and patriots head coach I think he worked out ok for us.

We need a FS that can cover somebody. We haven't had that since Kerry Rhodes

CB >>>> Safety

Yes, we need two corners.  If we can get two of the top corners and McCourty I say great.  And sign a relatively inexpensive ILB.  Would be a great haul for the defense...

tough to imagine all that happening but it's still hope time.

The example is even more ridiculous because a top safety wants top money and its too much for a team that's sitting on 60 million to spend? You should have just saved that second sentence and went with the first. I could accept that one. But there's nothing ridiculous about paying a top player at his position what his position warrants in compensation.

I do agree with your position that generally the CB position is more valuable, but the conversation that I was bringing forth was based on the Jets unique situation which I explained as my reason. I didnt simply say "Your wrong. FS>>>>CB".

Fair enough. I was saying in general CB is 100 times more important and it's my opinion that still applies in the Jets situation since they technically don't have a corner on the roster.

Fair enough. I was saying in general CB is 100 times more important and it's my opinion that still applies in the Jets situation since they technically don't have a corner on the roster.

And I def think your opinion is a fact, generally. However, on the Jets roster there are currently corners that we must account for such as Milliner and McDougal and Williams. Williams played very well coming off the street last year and I would have no problem keeping him as our #2 CB. McDougal could possibly play the nickel spot and Milliner could be depth at #2. I honestly dont trust when a player tears an achilles, thats just not some ACL. 

Point being, we do have some depth guys at minimum on our team. We have absolutely no free safeties on this team. No starter, no depth/situational....nothing. 

I think we could get a player for our #1 CB spot and some depth players to fill in the spots that we have elsewhere while giving the guys we currently have on the squad the opportunity to compete. There currently is no Free Safety on this team and it would be a mistake imo to ignore that for the sake of getting top CB's. 

And I def think your opinion is a fact, generally. However, on the Jets roster there are currently corners that we must account for such as Milliner and McDougal and Williams. Williams played very well coming off the street last year and I would have no problem keeping him as our #2 CB. McDougal could possibly play the nickel spot and Milliner could be depth at #2. I honestly dont trust when a player tears an achilles, thats just not some ACL.

Point being, we do have some depth guys at minimum on our team. We have absolutely no free safeties on this team. No starter, no depth/situational....nothing.

I think we could get a player for our #1 CB spot and some depth players to fill in the spots that we have elsewhere while giving the guys we currently have on the squad the opportunity to compete. There currently is no Free Safety on this team and it would be a mistake imo to ignore that for the sake of getting top CB's.

Id be acting like there isn't a corner on this roster. You can't trust Milliner or McDougle, at all.

I wonder if playing Allen at corner last year out of necessity if his range and coverage skills have improved that could make him a viable FS option?

Williams as #2 CB?  No thank you.  I guess maybe if he keeps improving, but I rate him below Walls.  He played admirably and way better than I'd expect, but I don't think he is starting in 2015.  I think he will fill more of the Isaiah Trufant, Ellis Lankster role. Rex didn't seem to like to run centerfield type safeties.  That is why they dumped Rhodes and Lowery.  I would be interested to see how Bowles go about it, but I would not be surprised if he is similar.  FWIW, Bowles took over as DC and they let Rhodes "retire"  I think he will like to play Allen as a guy that can be in the box, but add a man coverage element which he seems to be suited.  

Whats the deal with the Achilles injury? I've read it on this forum a few times where people said Milliner was done because of it. Is it that serious for a corner? Has there been instances in the past?

Id be acting like there isn't a corner on this roster. You can't trust Milliner or McDougle, at all.

I wonder if playing Allen at corner last year out of necessity if his range and coverage skills have improved that could make him a viable FS option?

I never said that you can trust them. I even went as far as using the word "possibly" when referring to them. With that said, I can't act like they're not there either. We have no Milliner or McDougal version of Free Safety's for me to even give a "possibly" to. And Antonio Allen is a SS like Pryor. you can put them in man coverage and stack them in the box. Asking Allen to zone it out and make the right decision in the outfield? Doubt it, or it would have been done already. The guy has been on the team for years. 

Whats the deal with the Achilles injury? I've read it on this forum a few times where people said Milliner was done because of it. Is it that serious for a corner? Has there been instances in the past?

Leon Hall has torn both (one in 2011, the other 2013) and came back playing fine.  He made $7M last year and is owed almost $8M this year and there has been no talk of him being a cap casualty

These days you can tear an ACL and still have a career, this is why im not really concerned about Dexter McDougal's injury last year given that it was an ACL. Tearing your Achilles is bad business, especially for people who have to back pedal then have to quickly plant on that leg and push forward. The explosiveness for that "change of direction" is what Cornerbacks live by, so rupturing your achilles as a Corner is legitimately a threat to one's career. Just exerting your calf muscles minus the back pedal could cause re-rupture. If Milliner wants the chance at a lasting career he cannot rush back to the field. He needs to be 100%, especially since he's already the injury prone type. 

These days you can tear an ACL and still have a career, this is why im not really concerned about Dexter McDougal's injury last year given that it was an ACL. Tearing your Achilles is bad business, especially for people who have to back pedal then have to quickly plant on that leg and push forward. The explosiveness for that "change of direction" is what Cornerbacks live by, so rupturing your achilles as a Corner is legitimately a threat to one's career. Just exerting your calf muscles minus the back pedal could cause re-rupture. If Milliner wants the chance at a last career he cannot rush back to the field. He needs to be 100%, especially since he's already the injury prone type. 

Leon Hall has torn both (one in 2011, the other 2013) and came back playing fine.  He made $7M last year and is owed almost $8M this year and there has been no talk of him being a cap casualty

Thank you both. Appreciate your opinions and information. 

Dominator, most knowledgeable fan here.IMO.

Allen will start at FS next season unless we sign a guy like McCourty. He's not bad but he's not really good either he's better as a backup.

I never said that you can trust them. I even went as far as using the word "possibly" when referring to them. With that said, I can't act like they're not there either. We have no Milliner or McDougal version of Free Safety's for me to even give a "possibly" to. And Antonio Allen is a SS like Pryor. you can put them in man coverage and stack them in the box. Asking Allen to zone it out and make the right decision in the outfield? Doubt it, or it would have been done already. The guy has been on the team for years. 

Well sure, its hard to picture them not here when they're on the roster but putting any faith into either players being viable options would be another Idzik like catastrophe. Bowles had great corners and safeties last year and they werent great vs. the pass.  Thats a scary thought.  

Allen will start at FS next season unless we sign a guy like McCourty. He's not bad but he's not really good either he's better as a backup.

I like what Allen brings to the table...and who knows, maybe a season of playing corner helps his range and coverage skills. 

Well sure, its hard to picture them not here when they're on the roster but putting any faith into either players being viable options would be another Idzik like catastrophe. Bowles had great corners and safeties last year and they werent great vs. the pass.  Thats a scary thought.  

Players are here for the purpose of contributing, which is fact. Burying them on the roster because your opinion says that they're not viable instead of allowing that to play out on the field would be Idzik-like actually. You simply dont know that. Is it possible? Sure. I'll even meet you more than half way and say that there's a slight probability in it, but you dont bury players at one position while at the same time neglecting a position that doesnt even have players to bury. That would be another Idzik-like move. 

Bowles did have a pretty good secondary, and they weren't great against the pass, but they were surely great against the score, which is the only stat that counts. 

Players are here for the purpose of contributing, which is fact. Burying them on the roster because your opinion says that they're not viable instead of allowing that to play out on the field would be Idzik-like actually. You simply dont know that. Is it possible? Sure. I'll even meet you more than half way and say that there's a slight probability in it, but you dont bury players at one position while at the same time neglecting a position that doesnt even have players to bury. That would be another Idzik-like move.

Bowles did have a pretty good secondary, and they weren't great against the pass, but they were surely great against the score, which is the only stat that counts.

I don't even knowing what we are taking about anymore. All I know is if i were Mac, id be looking for my #1 and #2 CBs because I wouldn't bank on the bums on the roster.

Archived