Bills trade for Vikings QB Matt Cassel

Morrissey

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mama Cass is worthless , 11-5 was product of EASY schedule and pats def, only needed mama to norm snead the game aka 40 screen passes a game

And Matt Cassell has been hot garbage ever since he dumped it off to Welker and swindled Pioli and Haley into giving him asinine contract. Lucky SOB

And Matt Cassell has been hot garbage ever since he dumped it off to Welker and swindled Pioli and Haley into giving him asinine contract. Lucky SOB

When was the last time your team had a Pro Bowl QB who threw for over 3,100 yards, 27 TD's and only 7 INT's?

Mama Cass is worthless , 11-5 was product of EASY schedule and pats def,  only needed mama to norm snead the game aka 40 screen passes a game

Deflated footballs and cameras.

Even Pioli was bamboozled into spending a 2nd pick and he was in on the whole cheating scheme from day 1.

That's just DaBallhawk being himself..LOL He has a lot of Rex in him he just doesn't realize it.. Im happy we got Bowles who hopefully turns out to be a complete HC something Rex couldn't do..The thing about Rex haters not be able to let go reminds me of a child who you promise candy to(Super Bowl boasts) and when you don't deliver they cry wah I hate you..No one knows more about football then the Hawk ask him he'll tell you..I don't have the JI archive to check but I could have sworn Hawk was a big Tebow fan..But thanks for the defense Troll.. :winking0001:

Rex sucks, but we all love Savage.

Because he probably wants to stay on the nfl and realistically start

I don't like Rex or Sanchez, but you'd have to be pretty silly to assume that Sanchez won't be on a team this year or even that he won't be given a shot to start for somebody. The Jaguars could use him, the Texans maybe, the Bears if they get rid of Cutler, the Cards maybe depending on Carson's health (another USC chump), and the Rams. The Buccs and the Titans as well, whether they draft a QB or not. I think he will get another shot to start for somebody and it's not gonna be Buffalo either.

Rex sucks, but we all love Savage.

True! did you know that somebody threatened to run over Savage in the Giants stadium parking lot because of his hatred of Curtis Martin? (now hes gonna com e in and say he doesnt hate him, watch)

The posts in here are hilarious, making a big deal out of such a minor trade. There's nothing here to help bolster anyone's case for or against Rex Ryan. They liked Cassel better than what's coming up in the free agent market, and got him by swapping a fifth rounder for a sixth rounder, and throwing in a seventh next year. Pretty small change. His contract is probably no worse than what the "top" QBs on the market this year will be paid when all is said and done.

Like the McCoy trade, it's not a trade I would've made, but I understand the logic. They've got a veteran QB now with starting experience, and that's one less thing they have to do once free agency opens up. And they did it at minimal cost.

Mark will be a UFA in a few days and Rex can have him for nada.

People want to draw these straight lines, but Rex has probably learned his lesson with Sanchez. He's a guy who'll never badmouth anyone, but I sincerely doubt he has any desire whatsoever to reunite with Mark. If he did -and had the kind of influence in personnel that people here are attributing to him- they wouldn't've made this trade.

And really, the guys Rex pines over offensively are usually the ones who run roughshod over his defenses. If anything, I would've thought he'd be heavy into the Jake Locker market.

The posts in here are hilarious, making a big deal out of such a minor trade. There's nothing here to help bolster anyone's case for or against Rex Ryan. They liked Cassel better than what's coming up in the free agent market, and got him by swapping a fifth rounder for a sixth rounder, and throwing in a seventh next year. Pretty small change. His contract is probably no worse than what the "top" QBs on the market this year will be paid when all is said and done.

Like the McCoy trade, it's not a trade I would've made, but I understand the logic. They've got a veteran QB now with starting experience, and that's one less thing they have to do once free agency opens up. And they did it at minimal cost.

IT'S ALL TOM SHANES FAULT! YOU SHOULD BANDED HIM!

sp basicaly were paying McAgnon to sit on his ass while REX is busy building a superteam I mean

Rex was always an emotional reactionary that got burned by his quick decisions .... Loved his passion but won't miss that aspect of his character at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All of them outplayed Cassel. Colt is a backup at best, and even he looked pretty decent except for that one game I believe. Geno is in his 2nd year, Sanchez clearly was better than Cassel.

I'd take Cassel any day over those guys and it's not like there's much of a choice this year.

Rex was always an emotional reactionary that got burned by his quick decisions .... Loved his passion but won't miss that aspect of his character at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think these couple of moves show who is calling the shots in Buffalo. Trading a lb for a running back, and signing a veteran QB to run your team are definitely not Wrecks ideas. Have to give the Bills credit...so far it looks like they have learned from Wreck's mistakes.

Potentially a little mistake, but A lot of little mistakes add up to a big problem, clearly they thought Cassel was better then any of the FA options, but that is the part I'm questioning. The guys been pretty bad for the last 3 years and only ever really had 1-2 good seasons. A guy who would've cost them nothing and been just as capable would've been better. 

Potentially a little mistake, but A lot of little mistakes add up to a big problem, clearly they thought Cassel was better then any of the FA options, but that is the part I'm questioning. The guys been pretty bad for the last 3 years and only ever really had 1-2 good seasons. A guy who would've cost them nothing and been just as capable would've been better.

Again, it's not a move I would've advocated for the Jets, but I understand the logic. For a very minimal cost, they've got their veteran QB. While other QB needy teams are fighting over the scraps available in free agency, the Bills can now focus elsewhere.

I'd imagine they're still hoping Manuel can get his crap together, and I wouldn't be surprised if they drafted another QB, too. I don't think they're putting all their eggs in Cassel's basket.

I don't see this happening.

Few hopeful fans do.

Removing your desire, surely you know that a really bad QB can take down a whole team. Say (in a given season) a so-so QB would have you finish with 9-10 wins. A horrid QB can easily blow 5 close would-be (1 to 6 point) victories and turn them into losses.

You remember in 2009 when we put up 320 rushing yards on you guys, our D held your offense in check, and we still lost in overtime? A loss like that should be a statistical impossibility. Yet it happened. We all know why.

Our team sucked last year, and I can still easily point to 5 games that were very winnable with a QB who didn't melt down at some point. Green Bay (basically the whole 2nd half), Minnesota (pick 6), Chicago (pick-6 plus a redzone pick), Miami game 1 (Ryan wouldn't have been able to rationalize his childish spite-gameplan if Geno wasn't so awful), NE game 1 (not converting or just moving us enough for field position on a few key drives), NE game 2 (the pick, plus taking a sack that took us out of game-leading FG position with 5 min left). Hell, just drive that ends in a score instead of a punt and maybe we even could have beaten Denver. There were sacks Geno took along the way where he took a 4-5 yard loss (hey, every QB gets sacked), and made it a 12 yard loss by running straight backwards. And after a while it started to feel like every sack came on 3rd down.

Now mind you, I'm just describing an awful Jets team from last year and a decent QB still puts us at 8-10 wins. That's with no cornerbacks and ask at least 90% of the posters here about your new HC's job performance last year with or without Geno and the key injuries. 

Hell, look at the difference in the Colts with Manning, then with Collins/Painter/Orlovsky the year he sat out, then with a rookie Luck the very next season. How about Denver with Orton/Tebow and then the same team (minus their irreplaceable stud left tackle) became the NFL's #1 offense of all time with a weaker-armed Peyton Maning the next season.

Don't even try to tell a Jets fan that a good vs bad performing QB can't easily cause a 5-game swing. I wish it wasn't so, since (like the Bills) we don't have one and haven't for years, but an above-average QB is the team unless you're #1 to top 5 in every other facet of the game and literally everything falls right at just the right time (see our playoff teams/runs in 09 and 10).

You're the fan of a team with garbage at QB, and that alone can easily change a would-be 9 to 11 win team into a 4 to 6 win team, just like us. Let's just say we can smell our own.

Wrong. This move is going to bring the organization to its knees!!!

I think these couple of moves show who is calling the shots in Buffalo. Trading a lb for a running back, and signing a veteran QB to run your team are definitely not Wrecks ideas. Have to give the Bills credit...so far it looks like they have learned from Wreck's mistakes.

Doesn't Mcoy spell ground and pound? Does trading Alonzo pave the way for David Harris? I believe so.

I think Rex went to the Bills and blamed Idzk for everything and told them look at 09 and 10 when I was calling the shots with the help of Tanny.

I believe Sanchez is a Bill. He costs nothing in terms of drafts picks and barely made over 2 Mil last season.

Few hopeful fans do.

Removing your desire, surely you know that a really bad QB can take down a whole team. Say (in a given season) a so-so QB would have you finish with 9-10 wins. A horrid QB can easily blow 5 close would-be (1 to 6 point) victories and turn them into losses.

You remember in 2009 when we put up 320 rushing yards on you guys, our D held your offense in check, and we still lost in overtime? A loss like that should be a statistical impossibility. Yet it happened. We all know why.

Our team sucked last year, and I can still easily point to 5 games that were very winnable with a QB who didn't melt down at some point. Green Bay (basically the whole 2nd half), Minnesota (pick 6), Chicago (pick-6 plus a redzone pick), Miami game 1 (Ryan wouldn't have been able to rationalize his childish spite-gameplan if Geno wasn't so awful), NE game 1 (not converting or just moving us enough for field position on a few key drives), NE game 2 (the pick, plus taking a sack that took us out of game-leading FG position with 5 min left). Hell, just drive that ends in a score instead of a punt and maybe we even could have beaten Denver. There were sacks Geno took along the way where he took a 4-5 yard loss (hey, every QB gets sacked), and made it a 12 yard loss by running straight backwards. And after a while it started to feel like every sack came on 3rd down.

Now mind you, I'm just describing an awful Jets team from last year and a decent QB still puts us at 8-10 wins. That's with no cornerbacks and ask at least 90% of the posters here about your new HC's job performance last year with or without Geno and the key injuries. 

Hell, look at the difference in the Colts with Manning, then with Collins/Painter/Orlovsky the year he sat out, then with a rookie Luck the very next season. How about Denver with Orton/Tebow and then the same team (minus their irreplaceable stud left tackle) became the NFL's #1 offense of all time with a weaker-armed Peyton Maning the next season.

Don't even try to tell a Jets fan that a good vs bad performing QB can't easily cause a 5-game swing. I wish it wasn't so, since (like the Bills) we don't have one and haven't for years, but an above-average QB is the team unless you're #1 to top 5 in every other facet of the game and literally everything falls right at just the right time (see our playoff teams/runs in 09 and 10).

You're the fan of a team with garbage at QB, and that alone can easily change a would-be 9 to 11 win team into a 4 to 6 win team, just like us. Let's just say we can smell our own.

^ good post..

also, I'd add, with FA, it's impossible to maintain the bolded. 

^ good post..

also, I'd add, with FA, it's impossible to maintain the bolded. 

Don't we know it.

That was the problem with keeping/extending Sanchez. It presumed that nothing would change for the worse, no one would get injured, Santonio Holmes would be a flowerchild after getting paid, Wayne Hunter would be a reliable starter for years, and in general that all things outside of our sub-standard QB position would somehow continue to fall our way, even in near-impossible statistical fashion (like just making the 09 playoffs at all, after that Atlanta loss).  A smart GM would say, "OK this clearly can't continue, and if it does then I'm wasting all these great breaks so Sanchez can take his lumps and get used to the NFL. Whether it's showing up in the stat sheet or not, I can see he's still making the same terrible throws at inopportune times, and it's costing us multiple games every season." Instead we gave him a 5 year extension with 2 years guaranteed, as makeup sex for having the audacity to seek out Peyton Manning.

QB is not a position that you **** around with "almost as good"  You go for the guy you think can handle your offense.  Belichick and McDaniels thought he could, and he did a very nice job for Weiss. He went in the toilet when Weiss left and they promoted Muir.and then Daboll consecutive years  Besides, if you are talking value, Cassel is getting $4M,  sh*t like Hoyer, McCown and Sanchez will be doing better than $5M at multiple years.  $1M in cap space or a 5th round pick?  OMG!  The cost! The cost!

**On edit it looks like he has bonuses that will push him up closer to $5M, but I maintain the trash you guys are talking about will get more. 

Don't we know it.

That was the problem with keeping/extending Sanchez. It presumed that nothing would change for the worse, no one would get injured, Santonio Holmes would be a flowerchild after getting paid, Wayne Hunter would be a reliable starter for years, and in general that all things outside of our sub-standard QB position would somehow continue to fall our way, even in near-impossible statistical fashion (like just making the 09 playoffs at all, after that Atlanta loss).  A smart GM would say, "OK this clearly can't continue, and if it does then I'm wasting all these great breaks so Sanchez can take his lumps and get used to the NFL. Whether it's showing up in the stat sheet or not, I can see he's still making the same terrible throws at inopportune times, and it's costing us multiple games every season." Instead we gave him a 5 year extension with 2 years guaranteed, as makeup sex for having the audacity to seek out Peyton Manning.

Yep, that was the move that sunk Tanny. I was livid

QB is not a position that you **** around with "almost as good"  You go for the guy you think can handle your offense.  Belichick and McDaniels thought he could, and he did a very nice job for Weiss. He went in the toilet when Weiss left and they promoted Muir.and then Daboll consecutive years  Besides, if you are talking value, Cassel is getting $4M,  sh*t like Hoyer, McCown and Sanchez will be doing better than $5M at multiple years.  $1M in cap space or a 5th round pick?  OMG!  The cost! The cost!

**On edit it looks like he has bonuses that will push him up closer to $5M, but I maintain the trash you guys are talking about will get more. 

You think Cassell is the best of the QB's we know are available today? I don't.. 

You think Cassell is the best of the QB's we know are available today? I don't.. 

I certainly don't,  I don't rightly know that any of them are viable.  OTOH, I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that the Bills think that.  It also seems that Cassel is a better choice to have alongside Manuel.  Certainly a better choice than say, Michael Vick.

I certainly don't,  I don't rightly know that any of them are viable.  OTOH, I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that the Bills think that.  It also seems that Cassel is a better choice to have alongside Manuel.  Certainly a better choice than say, Michael Vick.

well clearly they think that, hence the trade. The issue is whether or not they are right. Rex does have an eye for qb talent though ;)

well clearly they think that, hence the trade. The issue is whether or not they are right. Rex does have an eye for qb talent though ;)

I really do not want Rex choosing the QB.  I am more the kind of guy that wants the GM to make the decision and let the coaches provide input.  As I pointed out earlier, Whaley has not been shy, not sure why Rex is getting the blame/credit for this sh*t.  They traded for Bryce Brown and Watkins, moved Stevie Johnson and went after a "retired" Orton last year.

Archived