Bills trade for Vikings QB Matt Cassel

Morrissey

well clearly they think that, hence the trade. The issue is whether or not they are right. Rex does have an eye for qb talent though ;)

It seems they thought Cassel was their 2nd best veteran option, after McCown. But not enough to match the contract McCown got. Or maybe they did, but were surprised that the market for crap is now $5M per season. It shouldn't surprise them, since Orton made similar $ last year (on a per season basis) when there were no other suitors.

I love how now in hindsight that Orton was obviously so much better than the trash now out there. He sucks and had a decent stretch (particularly for him). His last decent season was 2010 (up to and not including December 2010). I think it's unlikely, because he blows, but this year Cassell is more or less just as likely as Orton was to have a 2014-Orton type season. People are looking at Orton through the lens of seeing how he did.

Also newsflash: Orton was very Cassel last year outside of the Jets games (and he was hardly unique in making a mockery of our so-called secondary). 6 TDs and 0 INTs in 2 games against the Jets. 12 TDs and 10 INTs against everyone else. Or in other words, in his non-Jets games, he was a tipped pass difference from having the same ratio as Geno Smith (who also didn't have the good fortune of starting games against the Jets secondary, like Orton didn't have to face off against their top-ranked Bills defense). Then throw in a couple of Geno picks that ultimately meant nothing, like the pick-6 to close out the Denver game. And this is comparing him to Geno, who was a freaking train wreck and didn't nearly have Orton's experience.

Hey, f*ck Cassel, f*ck Orton, f*ck the Jills and every coach and player associated with them. But being honest I don't see a tremendous dropoff from Orton to Cassel when looking at the time of each one's Bills acquisition.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True! did you know that somebody threatened to run over Savage in the Giants stadium parking lot because of his hatred of Curtis Martin? (now hes gonna com e in and say he doesnt hate him, watch)

I don't hate him but I can't say the same for the guy that wanted to make me road kill though..LOL

Potentially a little mistake, but A lot of little mistakes add up to a big problem, clearly they thought Cassel was better then any of the FA options, but that is the part I'm questioning. The guys been pretty bad for the last 3 years and only ever really had 1-2 good seasons. A guy who would've cost them nothing and been just as capable would've been better. 

They gave up nothing and given the lack of talent at QB...they're is likely to be a 'bidding war'. The Bills have an insurance policy is someone wants to pay Sanchez/Hoyer/Moore 7-8 million a year. They can cut Cassel and not really lose anything. 

They gave up nothing and given the lack of talent at QB...they're is likely to be a 'bidding war'. The Bills have an insurance policy is someone wants to pay Sanchez/Hoyer/Moore 7-8 million a year. They can cut Cassel and not really lose anything. 

NOTHING!?!?!?!?!?!  44 slots from the 5th to 6th round!!!!

I'm not sure i buy they couldn't have made this trade after this bidding war for garbage qb's

By my count, the Bills have given up Kiko Alonso, a 5th and 7th round draft picks, in return for 2 bloated contracts from teams that were looking to make salary dump trades, and a 6th rounder. How have they improved?

They now have 1 running back to put up the same rushing stats that they had last year, as opposed to using a committee of guys to do it. 

They still have a worst QB situation than last year. 

They go into this years loaded draft class with almost no picks to make.

Lesean McCoy might make a minute difference for them, but Jackson/Spiller has been one of the better tandems over the past couple of years. I expect this move to be a wash, statistically. Cassel does nothing to make them better.

McCoy and Cassel contracts can't help the salary cap for the Bills, so it's got to impact the signings they'll be able to make.

Yeah, this improves them remarkably. 

Cassel is at very least a mentor to EJ Manuel and a back up QB.  The Bills will hire another QB.   We needed Mc Coy (another RB).  Bills Fans love Kiko Alonso but don't forget we finished 4th in defense in 2014 without Kiko who was injured.

Cassel is at very least a mentor to EJ Manuel and a back up QB.  The Bills will hire another QB.   We needed Mc Coy (another RB).  Bills Fans love Kiko Alonso but don't forget we finished 4th in defense in 2014 without Kiko who was injured.

You know what having a bad QB mentoring a bad QB gets you? A bad QB.

The logic that Kiko was awesome, but we were 4th best defense without him, so we don't need him is so flawed I don't know where to begin. For starters, you WERE 4th best. Now you have a new coach and a new scheme. Schwartz made that defense 4th best last year, without spending 6 seasons building it. The league has caught up to Rex. Beside that, even if the Bills returned every player they had last year, which they won't, bringing Kiko back into the lineup could have made them BETTER. Maybe 1st overall. 

All you got out of the trade was a new RB. You could have kept Kiko and drafted one of those. Just sayin'

Hi jeanie. Your team is doomed.

Hi my favorite Jets Nation Poster.  I am going to save your post until this season is over.  Waiting to get our entire team (new hires included)  together and  then  see  the finished product on the field.  You don't mind if I come back at the end of the season and gloat a little if we do make the playoffs do you LOL  :winking0001:

They (Rex and our GM) work together - big difference than just having GM's (as in most teams) making the picks.  

No, actually it isn't.

Most teams have a GM and HC that work together. The foolish people here that didn't want to have Rex get blamed for this mess asserted that ONLY the GM should be responsible for personnel moves, and that Rex was just a victim of the GM. Obviously this is untrue, so when we see articles citing Rex driving a personnel decision its sort of an inside joke on the legions of ESPN watching dolts who thought Rex was good at his job, because swagger, bravado and press conferences full of bullsh*t.

You know what having a bad QB mentoring a bad QB gets you? A bad QB.

The logic that Kiko was awesome, but we were 4th best defense without him, so we don't need him is so flawed I don't know where to begin. For starters, you WERE 4th best. Now you have a new coach and a new scheme. Schwartz made that defense 4th best last year, without spending 6 seasons building it. The league has caught up to Rex. Beside that, even if the Bills returned every player they had last year, which they won't, bringing Kiko back into the lineup could have made them BETTER. Maybe 1st overall. 

All you got out of the trade was a new RB. You could have kept Kiko and drafted one of those. Just sayin'

The bottom line for many of us in Buffalo is that we have a lot of trust in Rex and our GM (of course our owners too).   If we maintain 4th in defense without Kiko (love the guy), build our offense and get a seasoned QB we should get the job (playoffs at least) done.  

The bottom line for many of us in Buffalo is that we have a lot of trust in Rex and our GM (of course our owners too).   If we maintain 4th in defense without Kiko (love the guy), build our offense and get a seasoned QB we should get the job (playoffs at least) done.  

Bills fans should hire another clue

Gotta give Bills fans credit. I just peeked over at TwoBillsDrive and it seems every one of them hated the McCoy trade. 27 year old RB and such.

Go to the BillsMafia on Facebook, there's 22,000 fans there that can give you a better prospective.

Go to the BillsMafia on Facebook, there's 22,000 fans there that can give you a better prospective.

While it certainly sounds like "BillsMafia on Facebook" would be the preeminent wellspring of absolute knowledge in these confusing times, I will have to decline that offer. 

KC Chefs are prob in top 5 of fanbases, and they were ready to burn Mama Cass at stake, and were thrilled to death he got carted off the field.

This is what you have to look forward to.

Archived