Bills trade for Vikings QB Matt Cassel

Morrissey

By my count, the Bills have given up Kiko Alonso, a 5th and 7th round draft picks, in return for 2 bloated contracts from teams that were looking to make salary dump trades, and a 6th rounder. How have they improved?

They now have 1 running back to put up the same rushing stats that they had last year, as opposed to using a committee of guys to do it. 

They still have a worst QB situation than last year. 

They go into this years loaded draft class with almost no picks to make.

Lesean McCoy might make a minute difference for them, but Jackson/Spiller has been one of the better tandems over the past couple of years. I expect this move to be a wash, statistically. Cassel does nothing to make them better.

McCoy and Cassel contracts can't help the salary cap for the Bills, so it's got to impact the signings they'll be able to make.

Yeah, this improves them remarkably. 

They swapped 5th rounders and gave up a 7th..  hardly a kings ransome.

And your contention that McCoy will equal the output of Boobey Dixon and Fred Jackson is too absurd to counter.

Get a grip yo.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest with that Running back and D, he juts needs average Q.B play and the Bills are very good.

They don't have an average QB on their roster. Both of the QBs they've got are terrible. The RB move was a push.

McCoy might give them one more year of 300 carries and 50 receptions, but he's not going to produce the way he did 2 years ago. Just like Nick Foles, McCoy was stellar in Chip Kelly's first year, while the league was figuring out that offense. Last year brought everyone back to Earth. 

McCoy: 312 carries, 1319 yards, 28 rec, 115 yards, 5 total TD

vs.

Fred Jackson: 141 carries, 525 yards, 66 rec, 501 yards, 3 total TD

Anthony Dixon: 105 carries, 432 yards, 8 rec, 49 yards, 2 total TD

CJ Spiller: 78 carries, 300 yards, 19 rec, 125 yards, 1 total TD

As you can see, statistically they aren't improving at RB, it just gives them a bellcow to run up the numbers they were already getting out of a committee. This is a good thing, in that it opens up roster spots, but this isn't going from having a 2.5 yard per carry RB to gaining a 5.0 yard per carry RB. 

Look at it through a moneyball lens.

They swapped 5th rounders and gave up a 7th..  hardly a kings ransome.

And your contention that McCoy will equal the output of Boobey Dixon and Fred Jackson is too absurd to counter.

Get a grip yo.

Look at the numbers. McCoy is an excellent fantasy RB, but 300 carries to McCoy in Philly's offense was about equal to 300 carries distributed across Jackson, Dixon and Spiller last year. The numbers don't lie.

Not my fault y'all are looking at it like it's ******* Madden.

Look at the numbers. McCoy is an excellent fantasy RB, but 300 carries to McCoy in Philly's offense was about equal to 300 carries distributed across Jackson, Dixon and Spiller last year. The numbers don't lie.

Not my fault y'all are looking at it like it's ******* Madden.

Just saw an analyst make the point that McCoy playing with a QB who will be primarily under center will boost his numbers back up to the level of a couple years ago.

I won't profess to know the machinations of getting hand offs in the conventional sense as opposed to Kellys circus but it was an interesting point I hadn't heard until now.

Basically you are in a very small, deluded club that believes the Bills are getting worse.

Just saw and analyst make the point that McCoy playing with a QB who will be primarily under center will boost his numbers back up to the level of a couple years ago.

I won't profess to know the machinations of getting hand offs in he conventional sense as opposed to Kellys circus but it was an interesting point I hadn't heard until now.

Basically you are in a very small, deluded club that believes the Bills are getting worse.

Kelly's offense is a dream for running backs. It sets up the run by tiring out defensive lines. Which is why whoever Kelly gets in the draft to be their new featured back is going to produce similar or better numbers than McCoy last season.

just remember this statement when the bills sweep the jets this year. its gonna happen, again

let me edit and re-phrase this. I believe this team can make huge strides this season if the right moves are made. however, if the jets new from office continues the trend that john "the true victim here" idzik followed, the jets don't stand a chance and will gets swept by the pats and the bills

Wow, just wow.  Can we get to free agency before we start to panic?  Every team is going to improve including the Dolphins.  Lets wait until the smoke clears before we make all this declarative statements.

You just have to laugh at posts like this.

Free Agency hasn't even started yet and the draft is still 2 months away.

Yet the Bills have already improved their team on paper more than any other team in the NFL.

Fixed.  How many games does the NFL play in March? 

Lesean McCoy might make a minute difference for them, but Jackson/Spiller has been one of the better tandems over the past couple of years. I expect this move to be a wash, statistically. Cassel does nothing to make them better.

Lol, Spiller is only good when saying he is fits whatever point you're trying to make. Ivory is better than Jackson, so according to the logic you have provided, that would make Ivory/Spiller better than McCoy. Sign me up for that.

Sanchez is better than Cassell and would have cost 0 draft picks. Even Jake Locker, who I think is horrible, Jake f'n Locker is better than Cassell and doesn't cost picks.

Kiko Alonso was a good player for the bills and we still don't know if they are resigning Hughes. But they got McCoy and most casual nfl fans know who he is because of fantasy so they must be a Super Bowl contender right?

Yeah, Locker/Sanchez/Hoyer all were better fits, wouldn't really cost them picks, and would cost around the same money.   These last two moves are just puzzling, they are taking away valued picks and players which at cheap rates would've really helped in the future, and bringing in high priced veterans that aren't really going to put them over the top.   I would've understood better if the guys brought in were cheap as well (Glennon) but just doesn't make sense.  

Wow, just wow.  Can we get to free agency before we start to panic?  Every team is going to improve including the Dolphins.  Lets wait until the smoke clears before we make all this declarative statements.

wow, just wow. wtf are you talking about?? who is in a panic?

bills last year were a lot better team than the jets

declarative statement = if the 2015 jets make improvements like the 2014 jets did, they will get swept by the bills

They don't have an average QB on their roster. Both of the QBs they've got are terrible. The RB move was a push.

McCoy might give them one more year of 300 carries and 50 receptions, but he's not going to produce the way he did 2 years ago. Just like Nick Foles, McCoy was stellar in Chip Kelly's first year, while the league was figuring out that offense. Last year brought everyone back to Earth. 

McCoy: 312 carries, 1319 yards, 28 rec, 115 yards, 5 total TD

vs.

Fred Jackson: 141 carries, 525 yards, 66 rec, 501 yards, 3 total TD

Anthony Dixon: 105 carries, 432 yards, 8 rec, 49 yards, 2 total TD

CJ Spiller: 78 carries, 300 yards, 19 rec, 125 yards, 1 total TD

As you can see, statistically they aren't improving at RB, it just gives them a bellcow to run up the numbers they were already getting out of a committee. This is a good thing, in that it opens up roster spots, but this isn't going from having a 2.5 yard per carry RB to gaining a 5.0 yard per carry RB. 

Look at it through a moneyball lens.

?

So the extra half a yard per carry doesn't mean anything because... moneyball?

Just saw an analyst make the point that McCoy playing with a QB who will be primarily under center will boost his numbers back up to the level of a couple years ago.

I won't profess to know the machinations of getting hand offs in the conventional sense as opposed to Kellys circus but it was an interesting point I hadn't heard until now.

Analysts are tasked to sell whatever activity that's happening in the league in March, because there isn't much. They're opinion doesn't necessarily mean anything other than "blah blah blah". 

LOL at how the derps on ESPN suddenly gain credibility when the nonsense they spew supports an agenda here.

I backed up my argument with data. God forbid.

A RB that has seen his best days in the past, and a war beaten QB?

Almost 18 million in salary cap space for McCoy & Cassel, LMAO!

Let's see where we are after March 10th with the new boss in town.

Then we can match apples to apples.

Analysts are tasked to sell whatever activity that's happening in the league in March, because there isn't much. They're opinion doesn't necessarily mean anything other than "blah blah blah". 

LOL at how the derps on ESPN suddenly gain credibility when the nonsense they spew supports an agenda here.

I backed up my argument with data. God forbid.

Your "data" supported the fact that the Bills needed an upgrade at RB.  Freddy is 152 years old and coming off a couple injury riddled seasons and Boobey Dixon is named Boobey.

Archived