Bills trade for Vikings QB Matt Cassel

Morrissey

Like when Mangini brought in Faneca and Jenkins?? He made Faneca at 32 the highest paid O-lineman in the NFL.. And as much as a I loved Big Jenks he played just 23 games in 3 seasons..

No, like Holmes and Plaxico. 2 years removed fro good play, at skill positions. A 32 year old guard is a fine signing, he was playing well the whole time. Not the same at all.

Do better.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This still lines up beautiful for the Rex and Mark Sanchez reunion.

Cassel is not the answer and is being set up for the fall so Sanchez can come in and save the day.

Alllllll the USC quarterbacks!  Maybe they can get Matt Barkley from Chip also.  They got any Oregon guys left?

Arguably the worst QB in the NFL the last 4 years. Congrats, Rex. All that after talking up EJ Manuel who might be the only guy who was actually worse than Cassell.

Not really. A combination of Sanchez and Geno = the worst QB play over the last 6 years years, not just 4 years.

Can't knock the move...there's nobody out there at the QB position...might as well get somebody who has had some success at the position in the past. Wouldn't be surprised if they add another vet and/or draft pick.

I agree. Considering the slim pickings, tip your hat to Whaley for acquiring a seasoned Veteran QB who can start as a handoff turnstile to McCoy in Rex's offense.

I would definitely rather have Cassel over Hoyer, McCown, Fitzpatrick, or Moore. Solid move by the Bills.

The Bills FO knows they're not getting to the SB on Cassel's back, but he more than sufficient for managing an offense to make a run and provide an example for EJ Manuel to learn from & get his $hit together. Bills FO still sees EJ as their franchise guy, I believe, but they know he has to sit & learn w/out getting his confidence CRUSHED at an early stage of his professional career. JMHO

I actually think it's a pretty good move by the Bills. Cassel is not great, he's not good. He's an average game manager. His best asset is his ability to get the ball out and in the hands of players. He's the epitome of game manager which is what they need. They don't need a gunslinger. They've been good enough to win the past year or two and QB play has lost them games. Cassel is good enough to not lose.

The under-rated part of it is that it does not mean they have to get in the "No matter who you get, you lose" bidding war for FA QBs. None of the QBs in FA are worth anything, but they're going to get much more money than they are worth. The Bills gave up nothing of note to acquire an equivalent QB who is on a contract with little guaranteed money. They could cut Cassel before the season begins and not really have lost anything. 

Teams looking for an average option at QB will be paying more than they are worth in FA.

Wait Rex was blamed for not caring about offense and now he gets blamed for O moves as the GM?? I wish you guys would make up your mind on what to hate him for or better yet move on and talk about the Jets.. 

Why don't you just go root for the Bills if you're gonna fabricate all this pro-Rex bullsh*t? Honestly, you'll find many people over there that will agree with you and share your opinion. They're just like you.

Why don't you just go root for the Bills if you're gonna fabricate all this pro-Rex bullsh*t? Honestly, you'll find many people over there that will agree with you and share your opinion. They're just like you.

Savage has been a Jets fan for longer than your parents have been alive. It's a shame JI is gone so sh*t posts like this one could have stayed there with it.

I agree with you on Rex's personnel influence, for the record. Grow up with the "switch teams because you disagree with me" bullsh*t, though.

Exactly, Like the 2009 Jets, as I said.

The interesting this is Manuel. Bills are giving up on him after 2 years. A first round draft pick 

It's up to EJ Manuel if he starts or doesn't start for the Bills this year.  He is going to have competition.  I see Cassell definitely  playing a mentor role with  EJ   The Bills will also be bringing in another QB.  There's much speculation about Sanchez but nobody knows at this point. 

No, we are not giving up on Manuel. Cassell is merely a mentor and back up QB. We will be getting one more QB

Thanks for telling us who will start a couple of months from now. Glad we have someone who has that kind of inside information. NOT. C'mon now.. You can't predict with that much assurance what they will do. I seriously doubt they would have traded for him if he wasn't going to be starting.

This is a good move for that team. Agreed

At very least,  he'll be a good mentor to EJ Manuel.  I doubt we are done with our QB positions yet -  I think we will hire one more.  At least there has been a lot of talk about getting 2 new QBs this season.

Re-read what you quoted. It says an undisclosed draft pick.

Reads to me more like each team is swapping a pick. For example, the Bills trade their 5th for Cassel and Minnesota's 6th, or something like that. 

You ae exactly right.  We  (Bill Fans here) are swapping picks

Everything going on up in BUF just confirms how much influence Ryan had in

personnel moves with us.  All of the crap the media tried to feed us about how

"Ryan was sabotaged by the front office" and how "he didn't have the talent"

was garbage.  What our roster became was a total reflection on Ryan and what

he wanted

I think  this  was true.  Ryan didn't have much say in the front office while with the Jets.  I think it's a new day for him in Buffalo as he works together with Whaley,  GM

Somewhere off in the distance, Mark Sanchez sheds a tear while nibbling on a hot dog.

We still have hope that Sanchez will come to Buffalo.  There's been a lot of talk about hiring 2 Quarterbacks and the fans would love to see Sanchez here.

This still lines up beautiful for the Rex and Mark Sanchez reunion.

Cassel is not the answer and is being set up for the fall so Sanchez can come in and save the day.

Doubt it. You don't give up draft picks for Cassel, then bring in Sanchez (without giving anything up) and let them both compete for the same job.

Doubt it. You don't give up draft picks for Cassel, then bring in Sanchez (without giving anything up) and let them both compete for the same job.

You're absolutely right.  Rumors here in Buffalo are that we will hire 2 new Quarter Backs this season.  I see Cassel as a mentor

The Bills gave up peanuts for Cassel. A high 5th? Usually that's a developmental player.

Rex loves Sanchez and he will have every opportunity to win the starting job.

Savage has been a Jets fan for longer than your parents have been alive. It's a shame JI is gone so sh*t posts like this one could have stayed there with it.

I agree with you on Rex's personnel influence, for the record. Grow up with the "switch teams because you disagree with me" bullsh*t, though.

On this, we agree. :)

Why not? There not giving up a lot of value for Cassel or paying him a SB, he don't make the team, it is just like a 5th rd pick not making the team. That happens quite often. No loss of cap space, no Money out of the owners pocket.

Now, I don't believe it could happen, just not for the reason you stated.   I would not be surprised to see them pick up another vet also, Campbell, Thigpen etc a guy that will come in for 1-2 mill.

Why not? There not giving up a lot of value for Cassel or paying him a SB, he don't make the team, it is just like a 5th rd pick not making the team. That happens quite often. No loss of cap space, no Money out of the owners pocket.

Now, I don't believe it could happen, just not for the reason you stated.   I would not be surprised to see them pick up another vet also, Campbell, Thigpen etc a guy that will come in for 1-2 mill.

Because the Bills gave up more for Cassel than they would for Sanchez. Which basically means they value him over Sanchez, that he has a better shot at winning the starting job. Rex however loves Sanchez, he doesn't make him compete, he just hands him everything. So if they really wanted Sanchez they would not have traded for Cassel, they'd just bring in Sanchez, make it his team and have EJ back him up just in case.

That's just DaBallhawk being himself..LOL He has a lot of Rex in him he just doesn't realize it.. Im happy we got Bowles who hopefully turns out to be a complete HC something Rex couldn't do..The thing about Rex haters not be able to let go reminds me of a child who you promise candy to(Super Bowl boasts) and when you don't deliver they cry wah I hate you..No one knows more about football then the Hawk ask him he'll tell you..I don't have the JI archive to check but I could have sworn Hawk was a big Tebow fan..But thanks for the defense Troll.. :winking0001:

Because the Bills gave up more for Cassel than they would for Sanchez. Which basically means they value him over Sanchez, that he has a better shot at winning the starting job. Rex however loves Sanchez, he doesn't make him compete, he just hands him everything. So if they really wanted Sanchez they would not have traded for Cassel, they'd just bring in Sanchez, make it his team and have EJ back him up just in case.

If Rex is the GM in fact then Sanchez would be a Bill would he not?? Or is someone else making these trades??

LOL

That's just DaBallhawk being himself..LOL He has a lot of Rex in him he just doesn't realize it.. Im happy we got Bowles who hopefully turns out to be a complete HC something Rex couldn't do..The thing about Rex haters not be able to let go reminds me of a child who you promise candy to(Super Bowl boasts) and when you don't deliver they cry wah I hate you..No one knows more about football then the Hawk ask him he'll tell you..I don't have the JI archive to check but I could have sworn Hawk was a big Tebow fan..But thanks for the defense Troll.. :winking0001:

Your defense of Rex is admirable, considering your age and that you've been a Jets fan since the dawn of time :)

Archived