***Jets trade for Brandon Marshall (pending a physical)***

Sperm Edwards

The age thing is from people who young enough to be themselves dreading what they see as the big 3-0 coming up years from now.

Unless it's a big bluff, which is giving him too much credit so far, it seems clear that Maccagnan isn't taking Mariota.

If we don't take him and don't have the opportunity to trade for Foles, then I'd like to give Smith the chance to be as good as he could be in the event he could possibly start to develop into a legitimate starter. Not holding my breath on that, like I wasn't with Sanchez, but it's still technically possible.

Well think about it this way Sperm if Mac really wants Mariota he would have to throw out a big Bluff with Mock trade talk to keep Kelly from jumping ahead, may be far fetched... may not :) If the Jets looked Interested Kelly who seems to be a bit trigger happy with some of his moves would probably give up whatever needed to get his man. Should be interesting to see how this plays out with Kelly

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So it's the GM job to decide who starts now  ?  What exactly was Rex Ryan's job as HC ?  If you guys want to blame Idzik for not over spending, I have no issue with that.  The fact of the matter is the GM is supposed  to add talent that fits the HC's desire via the draft and free agency but in free agency, not pay people more than their worth just because you have a need. That puts you in cap hell and cost you players you need to keep. 

IMO, John Idzik handle this job with competence and dignity.

I know...I could never figure out why Rex didn't start Ras I' Dowling or Timoty Lewis or whatever that guy's name was...those dudes were lights out.

Let's concentrate one the main thing...Bleed Green and stand together...........

We are a unique fanbase. We own the most important/iconic/sports changing Super Bowl win ever , yet we have only that one. We have suffered horrific losses, PR moves and crap no fan base deserves. Yet... We still BLEED GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So it's the GM job to decide who starts now  ?  What exactly was Rex Ryan's job as HC ?  If you guys want to blame Idzik for not over spending, I have no issue with that.  The fact of the matter is the GM is supposed  to add talent that fits the HC's desire via the draft and free agency but in free agency, not pay people more than their worth just because you have a need. That puts you in cap hell and cost you players you need to keep. 

IMO, John Idzik handle this job with competence and dignity.

When did "John Idzik did his job" become a thing?

Both Rex and Idzik did a bad job last year.  From your posts it seems like you're taking a, "it has to be one or the other" approach.  Both deserved to be canned.  According to reports, Idzik was ridiculed by agents and other league executives in his handling of the team.  He drafted poorly, made poor FA decisions.  In a nutshell, he did a bad job fielding a team while Rex, who also had input in personnel, likely made bad recommendations and did a poor job coaching the team.

If John Idzik handled his job "with competence," don't you think some team in the NFL would have at least considered him for a top FO role rather than being a cap guy, the same as he was in Seattle? 

Well think about it this way Sperm if Mac really wants Mariota he would have to throw out a big Bluff with Mock trade talk to keep Kelly from jumping ahead, may be far fetched... may not :) If the Jets looked Interested Kelly who seems to be a bit trigger happy with some of his moves would probably give up whatever needed to get his man. Should be interesting to see how this plays out with Kelly

Oh I thought of that. I just think we're giving him too much credit to assume that level of shiftiness. 

Also it's not a good way to start off the job, to make a deal with someone and then stab them in the back. Word will get around and we could be somewhat blackballed by other GMs who will then think a deal with the Jets is no deal at all and we're secretly trying to screw them over. As funny/cool as it may sound on a message board, that is no way to conduct oneself. Particularly in the first 6 months on the job when he has no friends yet.

So I doubt very much this is the case. If he's truly indicated to Kelly that we aren't that big on Mariota and will willingly trade the pick to them for whatever they discussed, I think it's safe to take at face value.

Oh I thought of that. I just think we're giving him too much credit to assume that level of shiftiness. 

Also it's not a good way to start off the job, to make a deal with someone and then stab them in the back. Word will get around and we could be somewhat blackballed by other GMs who will then think a deal with the Jets is no deal at all and we're secretly trying to screw them over. As funny/cool as it may sound on a message board, that is no way to conduct oneself. Particularly in the first 6 months on the job when he has no friends yet.

So I doubt very much this is the case. If he's truly indicated to Kelly that we aren't that big on Mariota and will willingly trade the pick to them for whatever they discussed, I think it's safe to take at face value.

I was not saying they had some type of deal that Mac is suddenly going to back out of. What Im saying is they have had no discussions and we are leaking info to manipulate Kelly. Sure that stuff happens more than we may think.

If Mac made a deal with Kelly or discussed a possible trade then stabbed him in that back that would not be good but that was not what I was getting at and in that respect I agree with you its not good business

When did "John Idzik did his job" become a thing?

Both Rex and Idzik did a bad job last year.  From your posts it seems like you're taking a, "it has to be one or the other" approach.  Both deserved to be canned.  According to reports, Idzik was ridiculed by agents and other league executives in his handling of the team.  He drafted poorly, made poor FA decisions.  In a nutshell, he did a bad job fielding a team while Rex, who also had input in personnel, likely made bad recommendations and did a poor job coaching the team.

If John Idzik handled his job "with competence," don't you think some team in the NFL would have at least considered him for a top FO role rather than being a cap guy, the same as he was in Seattle? 

That Press conference he did killed any chance of him getting a  GM job in the near future.

The man drafted 2 CBs and 3 Wr  . He signed the top WR available in free agency and signed a CB who came at a decent price but couldn't handle competition. 

The fact that his players were  or haven been given the chance to develop yet doesn't mean that they were bad choices.

The man did his Job. Folks around here want instant gratification, and when they don't get it, names get thrown around.. 

Mark sanchez gave you folks instant gratification, you fell all over your heads and then hung him out like a cheap suit.  Everyone in NY was going nuts about that kid when he was hurt and couldn't help the Giants, but when he played, he was hailed as the next great.

If he gets hurt again and can't play what will he be in 2 yrs.

IMO, John Idzik did his Job and well.  It's my opinion, just like it's yours to say he didn't and was in over his head.

You can say that Idzik did his job well. But the guy who was paying him disagreed. So he got fired. So Idzik failed. Really is that simple.

He signed a CB that had a meltdown. Sorry but that was a bad signing.  He drafted no good wide receivers in a wide receiver draft.  Fail.

And I love the line about "instant gratification".  I have been a season ticket holder since 1988. Please spare me. I am a pretty patient person.

I was not saying they had some type of deal that Mac is suddenly going to back out of. What Im saying is they have had no discussions and we are leaking info to manipulate Kelly. Sure that stuff happens more than we may think.

If Mac made a deal with Kelly or discussed a possible trade then stabbed him in that back that would not be good but that was not what I was getting at and in that respect I agree with you its not good business

Except the leak is that we have already had discussions with Kelly. I think Kelly would know if it wasn't true. It would be simpler to pick up a phone and call the guy and tell him to keep us in mind about a trade-up because we're not big on Mariota. It's also the smarter way of handling it than subtle press-leaking silliness. You want a deal, go tell him we are deal-able and make us an offer instead of paying more heavily to leapfrog us. Tell Cleveland the same thing, otherwise Cleveland will think their task at hand is to leapfrog us rather than make a deal with us.

Doesn't add up. Anything's possible (it's only freaking March 6th), but all signs point to a trade if Mariota is there at #6.

Question: You're an nfl team and need to dump a high priced, overrated, cancer causing WR. What do you do?

Answer: call the Jets.

So Marshall, who got help with his condition and seems to have himself on a good path, is cancer causing and over rated ?? How on earth do you get Over rated ?? Everyone knows What Marshall is he's a big possession type WR who will make the tough catches and is a damn good blocker in the running game. Is he passionate ? yes... but no matter how crazy that passion may get players ALWAYS respect it.

This guy is exactly what this team has needed for years wish he was a few years younger but his game is not about speed its about power and moving the chains and that can translate into a longer career than some burners who eventually run out of gas and have nothing else to contribute. With Marshall you get the all around package

Except the leak is that we have already had discussions with Kelly. I think Kelly would know if it wasn't true. It would be simpler to pick up a phone and call the guy and tell him to keep us in mind about a trade-up because we're not big on Mariota. It's also the smarter way of handling it than subtle press-leaking silliness. You want a deal, go tell him we are deal-able and make us an offer instead of paying more heavily to leapfrog us. Tell Cleveland the same thing, otherwise Cleveland will think their task at hand is to leapfrog us rather than make a deal with us.

Doesn't add up. Anything's possible (it's only freaking March 6th), but all signs point to a trade if Mariota is there at #6.

Lord hear our prayer

Excellent Trade:  

THIS is the type of trade we needed last year after signing Decker so we actually had two guys who could be good playing WR.  The contract isn't prohibitive (I'd say he'd make about the same if not more on the open market right now) and we bought low on a guy that has All Pro potential and pedigree.  Having a true No. 1 should really help out Decker and Amaro, and our running game.   We need to add a speedster so I think someone like Devin Smith or Dorsett is at play now for our second round pick.   

I can live with the fifth round pick being given up, because this means Harvin is gone, and we can get the 4th back for the 6th.   Marshall fits the team so much better as the outside WR, lets Kerley play the slot, and we can draft a speed guy to compliment them as well.  I'm honestly a bit surprised that other teams didn't jump on Marshall at this price.  His contract doesn't seem that bad, and we all know he can produce.  He's not the best guy in the locker room, but plenty of idiots get contracts so a little surprising that a team like say the 49ers or Rams didn't try to bring him in.  

But here's another thought.  Could Marshall be a mentor for DGB?  They have similar body type I believe, and Marshall seemed to do a good job in helping Jeffery become great.  

Unless he is done, this guy is a stud. He is a great leaper, has great hands and very good YAC guy.  And my favorite clips may have been of his blocking.  Look at Cooper highlights and you will never see him block anyone the way Marshall does routinely.

Oh, and I don't think Cromartie will be putting any of those clips on his highlight reel.  He gets absolutely toasted in play after play.

I like this move for a fifth.

You can say that Idzik did his job well. But the guy who was paying him disagreed. So he got fired. So Idzik failed. Really is that simple.

He signed a CB that had a meltdown. Sorry but that was a bad signing.  He drafted no good wide receivers in a wide receiver draft.  Fail.

And I love the line about "instant gratification".  I have been a season ticket holder since 1988. Please spare me. I am a pretty patient person.

I have been a Jet fan forever, but I don't blame John Idzik for the failures of all the GMs before him. I don't blame Rex Ryan for the failures of all the men before him who held the Job of HC.  A GM needs time to implement a program and a HC of his choosing he can work with. John Idzik was afforded none of that,  but he left the Jets with millions in cap space and a few good men in 2 yrs after taking over an aging team with no QB in cap hell. 

IMO, that a Solid Job.

I'm not so sure I agree. Marshall's conventional numbers have been on the higher end in the seasons that he plays with Cutler because Cutler loves throwing to him. Without looking it up, excepting his first year I don't think they ever had a year together where he wasn't top 5 in targets prior to last season. Combine that with his efficiency numbers during his two year stint in Miami and I think his impact sans Cutler speaks for itself. Granted, there's a very small sample of some time with McCown, but that was such an outlier run from all parties involved that I'm not sure you can even take anything from that.

Marshall has basically had 2.5 years without Cutler - 2010 and 2011 in Miami, and 6 games in 2013 in Chicago.  In those 36 games, he has 204 receptions, 2,704 yards, &  11TDs.  That's a per game line of about 6-75, with a TD once every 3 games - or a 96 catch, 1200 yard, 5-6 TD season ... with Chad Henne and Josh McCown as his QBs on run first teams.

And the run with McCown doesn't skew those numbers - with McCown (in the Was-GB-Bal-StL-Minn-Dal games where McCown was the primary QB), he had 31 catches for 486 yards and 2 TDs - or about 6 catches, 75 yards, and .33 TD/gm.  In other words, right on his historic non-Cutler numbers.

Marshall has basically had 2.5 years without Cutler - 2010 and 2011 in Miami, and 6 games in 2013 in Chicago.  In those 36 games, he has 204 receptions, 2,704 yards, &  11TDs.  That's a per game line of about 6-75, with a TD once every 3 games - or a 96 catch, 1200 yard, 5-6 TD season ... with Chad Henne and Josh McCown as his QBs on run first teams.

And the run with McCown doesn't skew those numbers - with McCown (in the Was-GB-Bal-StL-Minn-Dal games where McCown was the primary QB), he had 31 catches for 486 yards and 2 TDs - or about 6 catches, 75 yards, and .33 TD/gm.  In other words, right on his historic non-Cutler numbers.

I'm talking efficiency numbers, not conventional.

Archived