***Jets trade for Brandon Marshall (pending a physical)***

Sperm Edwards

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like what he's capable of doing and also hate what he's capable of doing.

One is being a monster physical WR (who still needs to get the ball thrown to him rather than an opposing player) who can be a huge red zone threat

And the other is being a mentally ill diva who could make us pray to have a great locker room and team first guy like Santonio Holmes.

Not crazy about the risk/reward here.   

Makes little difference since the Jets (unlike Chicago) would never consider cutting Marshall this year.

Sorry but this is an excellent trade for a team that (once Harvin's gone) had some $65M in cap room.

Like a 5th for Santonio Holmes. I make that trade every year. Just don't re-sign him with $20M guaranteed because he's a young scumbag. Sure he was cheap, but money is not an issue for the Jets right now.

And since he was only a 5th and is only locked in here for 1 season if we so desire, it in no way precludes us from still taking a WR at #6 (if that's who Maccagnan has as #1 on his list when it's our turn). But it doesn't paint us into a corner and force us to go WR that early either.

I think this is spot on. 

Its a great move to grab these type of guys for late round draft picks.  However its a terrible move to go out and give them a large contract and guaranteed money. 

Agree with Sperm's take above.  The fact is that we make this trade and then cut Harvin, and we end up with MORE cap room than we had before the trade.  It's amazing.

And now there's no more speculation about a 4th for Harvin like it was an irreplaceable pot of gold.

We have no 5th or 6th rounder this year. I prefer we had both, but we have effectively infinity cap room and aren't likely to find a Brandon Marshall in round 5 this year. Not saying it couldn't happen, but the odds are pretty damn small.

And being able to absorb Marshall's $8M per for 3 seasons, like it was nothing, is the reason a non-contender doesn't burn $15M on a 1 year rental of Darrelle Revis.

Now if we draft a WR - or trade for Foles - this is a top-notch crew of pass catchers to throw to. They won't make a garbage QB a great one, but it'll help hide an awful lot of suck.

I like this, he was injured last year and a lot of people we're talking about him having a year. But, he had 8 TD's and close to 800 receiving yards?? Dude has been a beast for years, he's coming in with a chip on his shoulder and is already a great red-zone target. Really liking this move

Someone started a thread saying they were a package deal. There was some talk they would try to move him, but nothing imminent like this.

There's been some speculation that the Bears will cut him because $10 mil becomes guaranteed in 2016 if he's on the roster next week. Cutting him costs $15.5 now, but moving Marshall opens some room for them to do that

This help Decker for sure, but with marshall/Decker/Kerly (Harvin? who knows) the HUGE guy to benefit will be Amaro. Single coverage w/LBs now, not CBs.

Yes, if Amaro can take a big second year step this will be a truly threatening offense.

Can't load the box against Ivory either.

A team with over $20 mil in cap space just dumped him for a 5th round pick.

Im guessing they dump cutler next. That GM looks wayy to smart to put his job on the line for Jay Cutler. 

Mariotta and Cooper are both very logical landing spots for Chicago which really makes our pick a prime time trade out spot.  That is unless the Bears try to jump us. 

That same team signed Jay Cutler to a contract so high they'd have to give away a draft pick to get someone to take him.  So I don't care what Chicago's FO thinks is smart.

And unlike us, they already have a beast of a #1 WR. Further, that receiver will need a humongous contract extension himself very soon otherwise he becomes a free agent in 2016.

Makes little difference since the Jets (unlike Chicago) would never consider cutting Marshall this year.

Sorry but this is an excellent trade for a team that (once Harvin's gone) had some $65M in cap room.

Like a 5th for Santonio Holmes. I make that trade every year. Just don't re-sign him with $20M guaranteed because he's a young scumbag. Sure he was cheap, but money is not an issue for the Jets right now.

And since he was only a 5th and is only locked in here for 1 season if we so desire, it in no way precludes us from still taking a WR at #6 (if that's who Maccagnan has as #1 on his list when it's our turn). But it doesn't paint us into a corner and force us to go WR that early either.

Sorry. I do not see the point here trading for him. Bring a guy who from whatever little i saw of him last season looked like on the decline and a guy with locker room issues in the past for a 5th rounder and the amount of money that needs to be paid to him.

Holmes was in his prime and one season removed from being a Super Bowl MVP. What has Marshall accomplished.

It's ironic that your example of Santonio Holmes is from the wheeling and dealing days also known as the Tanny era. Suddenly those days are back after a hiatus of two years. And i am not necessarily against that. But atleast make a smart trade. This trade is DUMB.

They could have got Marshall from the street for a much lesser price if he impressed them so much. To make the trade, for this player, at this price is not a smart move.

P.S: I will busy all day so i might not be able to respond to any responses.

That same team signed Jay Cutler to a contract so high they'd have to give away a draft pick to get someone to take him. So I don't care what Chicago's FO thinks is smart.

You probably should, since none of the people involved in that decision actually work for the Bears anymore.

And now there's no more speculation about a 4th for Harvin like it was an irreplaceable pot of gold.

We have no 5th or 6th rounder this year. I prefer we had both, but we have effectively infinity cap room and aren't likely to find a Brandon Marshall in round 5 this year. Not saying it couldn't happen, but the odds are pretty damn small.

And being able to absorb Marshall's $8M per for 3 seasons, like it was nothing, is the reason a non-contender doesn't burn $15M on a 1 year rental of Darrelle Revis.

Now if we draft a WR - or trade for Foles - this is a top-notch crew of pass catchers to throw to. They won't make a garbage QB a great one, but it'll help hide an awful lot of suck.

Sure Geno sucked last year, but countless times Geno held it too long, ran, got sacked, or forced something because there was nothing there. Now, with Marshall and Decker and the possibility of a WR at 6 still, Amaro, with an improved OL; even if Geno is under center, this offense will be much better.

That same team signed Jay Cutler to a contract so high they'd have to give away a draft pick to get someone to take him. So I don't care what Chicago's FO thinks is smart.

And unlike us, they already have a beast of a #1 WR. Further, that receiver will need a humongous contract extension himself very soon otherwise he becomes a free agent in 2016.

Troll was making the point that Marshall was elite/reformed/wonderful. I pointed out that his third team just gave up on him for a low-round pick. Santonio Holmes was a Super Bowl MVP that we traded for under similar circumstances. The GM who gave Cutler all that money is gone.

Sorry. I do not see the point here trading for him. Bring a guy who from whatever little i saw of him last season looked like on the decline and a guy with locker room issues in the past for a 5th rounder and the amount of money that needs to be paid to him.

Holmes was in his prime and one season removed from being a Super Bowl MVP. What has Marshall accomplished.

It's ironic that your example of Santonio Holmes is from the wheeling and dealing days also known as the Tanny era. Suddenly those days are back after a hiatus of two years. And i am not necessarily against that. But atleast make a smart trade. This trade is DUMB.

They could have got Marshall from the street for a much lesser price if he impressed them so much. To make the trade, for this player, at this price is not a smart move.

P.S: I will busy all day so i might not be able to respond to any responses.

Marshall would not have signed with us if he were free,.  He would have gone to a Super Bowl contender for less.

Already more action than we saw from Idzk in his entire first season.

Marshall not only gives us a true #1, but I think this move makes Decker a much more productive guy at #2.  I like it for the price and it shows me Mac is willing to pull the trigger on a deal which is also very encouraging.

Agree with all of this, can't complain too much about this deal. Just don't think he's an elite player but worth a 5th particularly since there's no cap consequence of cutting him if he doesn't work out

Let's say we take Kevin White at #6. Even top 10 WRs still bust sometimes. If he's all that we hoped he would be when we drafted him, then we can either keep all 3 or trade either Marshall or Decker (either will still have enough trade value that we wouldn't have to simply cut him).

Nothing about this trade forces us out of taking a WR at #6 or round 2 or in any round (other than rounds 5-6).

They literally have about one worthwhile defensive player and have Alshon Jeffery to be their number one. Considering quite a few teams have $40+ million to work with and people like Byron Maxwell are reportedly seeking $8 million a year, $20 million is not a ton of cap space. If they signed Suh, they'd have just about enough left over to sign all their draft picks.

Brandon Marshall has a couple of very good, productive years left in the NFL if he can stay healthy.  This is a good move as it adds a legitimate weapon to the offense and target for the quarterback.  Marshall has matured in recent years, and he will add a good veteran presence to the team.

Marshall and Decker are two big targets on the outside and will be a tough match up for many secondaries in the league.

Just an interesting tidbit, this is the third trade of Marshall's career.  I don't recall any other player being traded as often.

I somewhat agree with all of this, and it's a fingers-crossed situation, but I don't like bringing this type of dude onto my team, and I say this as a guy who didn't mind signing Vick.

You have to believe that Bowles was involved with and signed off on the move.   Bowles is a leader and is confident that he can create the lockerroom culture he wants (like Parcells). 

Could this move be a prelude to getting Matt Moore in FA?    It's not exactly montana to rice but Moore/Marshall had some success together in Miami.  

Already more action than we saw from Idzk in his entire first season.

Marshall not only gives us a true #1, but I think this move makes Decker a much more productive guy at #2.  I like it for the price and it shows me Mac is willing to pull the trigger on a deal which is also very encouraging.

I agree 100% with this

Archived