***Jets trade for Brandon Marshall (pending a physical)***

Sperm Edwards

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's say we take Kevin White at #6. Even top 10 WRs still bust sometimes. If he's all that we hoped he would be when we drafted him, then we can either keep all 3 or trade either Marshall or Decker (either will still have enough trade value that we wouldn't have to simply cut him).

Nothing about this trade forces us out of taking a WR at #6 or round 2 or in any round (other than rounds 5-6).

Ontop of what you just said if we got a guy like Kevin White he could probably learn a thing or two playing behind a Brandon Marshall for a year or two. I still think Marshall is a bit old to be a long term solution.

Love the deal but the only issue I have is that he is not a burner.  I would like to get a speed guy at WR because Decker and Kerley are not fast either.  

You are describing a wish list for a WR who is not available. Certainly not for a 5th rounder, who comes complete with a below-market contract for the next 3 seasons.

Receivers who can put up #1 WR numbers in the absence of a stud - or even a good - QB are uncommon.

Tannenrex 2.0

Do not forget that the most significant run in team history occurred when the team took a chance on a rookie HC, a rookie QB, and loaded up on once-dominant NFL players with a little tread left on the tires.  Tomlinson, Burress, Jones, Richardson, Edwards, Leonhard, Pace, Jenkins, Woody, Faneca.  That's what took us from a 6 win team to a playoff winner.

I like it.  I miss the wheeler dealer Tannenbaum era.

SAR I

Do not forget that the most significant run in team history occurred when the team took a chance on a rookie HC, a rookie QB, and loaded up on once-dominant NFL players with a little tread left on the tires.  Tomlinson, Burress, Jones, Richardson, Edwards, Leonhard, Pace, Jenkins, Woody, Faneca.  That's what took us from a 6 win team to a playoff winner.

SAR I

Burress was on zero Jets playoff teams.

SAR I

:spongebob:

Marchall/Decker/Harvin/Kerley/Amaro

or

Marshall/Decker/Kerley/Draft Pick/Amaro

Either way, and all locker room and risk issues aside (tought hough that is), WR would certainly not be a weak talent unit with that group.

Harvin as #3/#4 Trickster >>> Harvin as #1/#2 Starting WR.

But boy oh boy, while the talent is there, is there a more disaster-potential WR group than one with Marshall AND Harvin?

Risk/Reward, I suppose.

If the price was a 5th, and we're not locked in long-term, seems a very smart short-term whilst-we-have-space/cash deal for while the team rebuilds.

Wouldn't mind Matt Moore seriously. Jake doesn't care, and it will get real ugly quick

I think Moore played some QB in 2011 with Marshall and had decent success throwing him the ball. Then again, it's pretty easy throwing it up to Marshall. he is a beast. Him and Decker will be tough to cover unless the opposing team has 2 tall CBs. Adding in Amaro and we have 3 big and talented targets for whoever our QB will be. 

And now there's no more speculation about a 4th for Harvin like it was an irreplaceable pot of gold.

We have no 5th or 6th rounder this year. I prefer we had both, but we have effectively infinity cap room and aren't likely to find a Brandon Marshall in round 5 this year. Not saying it couldn't happen, but the odds are pretty damn small.

And being able to absorb Marshall's $8M per for 3 seasons, like it was nothing, is the reason a non-contender doesn't burn $15M on a 1 year rental of Darrelle Revis.

Now if we draft a WR - or trade for Foles - this is a top-notch crew of pass catchers to throw to. They won't make a garbage QB a great one, but it'll help hide an awful lot of suck.

It will also greatly enhance the chances of a FA QB actually WANTING to play for the Jets.

What's wrong here....

You guys want perfection.  Perfection isn't available.  When you can bring in a legit #1 receiver talent, at a fair price, for a late round draft pick...It's a good move.

Who is the last WR we had as good as Marshal?   Key back in 98?

Decker + Marshall + Kerley = Best WR combo that I can remember

I dont get why people are hating this move and then the same people say keep harvin....Harvin is more of a head case and less of a talented receiver than marshall is...how can you hate this move the guy scored 3 tds in a game on basically one leg hes a stud. He will draw the double team that will open up decker and kerley. for a fifth round pick...he's better than any receiver available in the draft. 

Ontop of what you just said if we got a guy like Kevin White he could probably learn a thing or two playing behind a Brandon Marshall for a year or two. I still think Marshall is a bit old to be a long term solution.

Sure, that could be. 

But Marshall is a long enough solution. He should still be very productive for the next 3 seasons unless he starts getting injured every year. He's about to turn 31, not 37. 

I would easily take Jay Cutler on this team.  He's a far better QB than anything we have had since Favre.  Is he an ahole?  Yeah by most reports but he's tough, has a great arm has thrown 66 tds the lat 3 years, been 66 % and 63 % the last two years.  I know most people would hate this mover but I'd be all over it along with drafting a development QB.

They literally have about one worthwhile defensive player and have Alshon Jeffery to be their number one. Considering quite a few teams have $40+ million to work with and people like Byron Maxwell are reportedly seeking $8 million a year, $20 million is not a ton of cap space. If they signed Suh, they'd have just about enough left over to sign all their draft picks.

Alshon Jeffery is an unrestricted free agent next year. They may want to lock him up.

I would easily take Jay Cutler on this team.  He's a far better QB than anything we have had since Favre.  Is he an ahole?  Yeah by most reports but he's tough, has a great arm has thrown 66 tds the lat 3 years, been 66 % and 63 % the last two years.  I know most people would hate this mover but I'd be all over it along with drafting a development QB.

Agreed. Everyone is looking for the QB of the future, but those guys are never available in FA and they are equally hard to find in the Draft (unless you LUCK into Luck.)

So bringing in Cutler for a couple of years while you draft a couple of QBs to groom is not a bad idea. It's certainly better than rolling the dice with guys like Hoyer/Moore...

Per ESPN - Bears QBs had a Total QBR of 70 with Marshall on the field and a Total QBR of 33 with him off the field last two seasons

I would think that counts as impactful. I'm still interested in the haters continuing to push their agendas with no actual facts though. It's entertaining.

And I would easily stop supporting the Jets if they did that. 

Brandon Marshall for a 5th or 6th rounder was a good move. Some people are pissed about it but I'd love to know who we will be missing out on in the 5th/6th round that makes this move so SOJ-like. 

Marshall/Decker/Kerley....maybe even keep Harvin for the slot=Lovely. Now go trade that 3rd rounder for Glennon and we'll be straight. 

are you kidding?

this guy is a BEAST and plays hard every snap.  we need guys like this on our team breh.

Coach Bowles knows him first-hand during their time with the Dolphins, I'm not worried about work ethic, Todd knows what he wants in a player.

SAR I

And I would easily stop supporting the Jets if they did that. 

Brandon Marshall for a 5th or 6th rounder was a good move. Some people are pissed about it but I'd love to know who we will be missing out on in the 5th/6th round that makes this move so SOJ-like. 

Marshall/Decker/Kerley....maybe even keep Harvin for the slot=Lovely. Now go trade that 3rd rounder for Glennon and we'll be straight. 

Good luck with our new great Wr core with Geno Smith or Matt moore throwing the ball tio the other team or missing them on wide open plays.

Do not like, but only $4 mil guaranteed (I believe) remaining on a fat contract, but the dude is a serial DV case and shows next to zero remorse for it despite wearing cool sneakers for Mental Health Day.

A suspension waiting to happen. And his entire career consists of bitching about what ever QB is throwing him the ball. 

Archived