Jets re-sign David Harris (3 years, $21.5M, $15M guaranteed) [MERGED]

Morrissey

Tell you what, if we pick up a known-quantity at QB, I have no problem picking up Revis for a season. Foles is the only one who comes to mind, and while 4th year Foles is not 4th year Peyton Manning, he's good enough to put up pretty much perfect numbers for a long stretch (as has been demonstrated). But we'd have to trade for him now not on draft day.

If you follow the "where's there's smoke there's fire" line of thinking - there's a very good possibility that Foles will be the starting QB of the NYJ's this year.

(I personally don't think MM gets to 6 but I hope I'm wrong)

EDIT - didn't realize you said before the draft - yeah....I can't see a scenario in which that happens.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His replacement will be drafted this year. That's what good teams do. Harris would be a coach to a young guy coming in.

Strong LB crop this year.

WRs, RBs, LBs.

Jets will get a LB in this draft.

^THIS

We're such a ******* travesty.

Everyone defending this move will be the same ones calling for the GM's head in a years time.

David f*cking Harris. In 2015. Jesus.

Let's just hope the NFL completely bucks the pass heavy trend in the next 3 years and this works out. 

Most likely you're correct. Another thing it indicates to me is it be cluing us in to how Maccagnan drafts. He doesn't want to be forced into drafting an ILB early because of an immediate hole. (My own issue is I don't think that would have been necessary; maybe if we were fielding one MLB, but not when he's one of two and we have the 2nd one; 1 of 2 ILBers is far less crucial than a lone MLB).

It could mean he wants to go BPA and not worry about need trumping who's truly the better prospect (in his eyes). Idzik it seemed wanted to do that, but he went full spectrum on the other side of it and picked up some truly awful players as his placeholders. So I get not wanting to repeat failed history (and with our cap space he doesn't have to). Problem is Harris isn't a placeholder with this contract: he is a locked-in starter for multiple seasons.

Also it could be a targeted draft in reverse: a stay-away targeted draft. Draft the BPA who isn't an ILB, since (barring a Harris injury) he won't start until 2017 anyway.

Unless it's Demario Davis they want to move on from, or are planning for the possibility of moving on from, and don't want to now have to find two ILBers who are both upgrades, almost immediately, in successive seasons. If that's the case, then I suppose the re-signing is more sound and arguably even smart despite the overpayment. If that's what happens, then I agree not to have squabbled over a small amount less we might have been able to sign him for as a FA. But there's no indication today that this is their plan.

But I really wanted to find a faster player after our new HC was preaching speed as a primary goal on defense. Especially after re-signing Pace and Babin.

Maybe I'm wrong but I'll take everyone's word that Harris is godawful in pass coverage. If that is the case then Bowles is going to not use him in pass situations or at least not expose him against somone he cannot cover. In a 3-4 the ILB are less apt to have to cover or at least it's in a limited role. He was resigned because he's football smart, a leader. Don't care about the $ - the $ spent will never come back to bite them or stop them from signing who they want to sign. Harris will be a vital player in Bowles defense. Worth the $ spent.

Maybe I'm wrong but I'll take everyone's word that Harris is godawful in pass coverage. If that is the case then Bowles is going to not use him in pass situations or at least not expose him against somone he cannot cover. In a 3-4 the ILB are less apt to have to cover or at least it's in a limited role. He was resigned because he's football smart, a leader. Don't care about the $ - the $ spent will never come back to bite them or stop them from signing who they want to sign. Harris will be a vital player in Bowles defense. Worth the $ spent.

Agreed whats more important is who they choose to play next to him Worilds or Acho would help Harris excel 

I think folks are seriously undervaluing Harris

With the shift of the cap, how does anybody here know what the proper "value" of Harris or any player should be?  None of you work in the NFL nor do you know what the value of players are.  I won't claim to know either, maybe the Jets are paying a little more, but there is no question Harris was going to be well sought after in FA, and that in itself drove his value

I think many are missing the key points

- Harris was #1 MLB in FA

- Harris has been a rock solid 3 down player for the last several years, he earned every bit of the last contract he signed

- Harris is a leader on this team, players look up to him, and he's one of the most professional players who brings his lunch pail to work every day

- Unquestioned character and integrity, Harris brings it, doesn't talk too much, but is a silent assassin

Those knocking Harris because he doesn't have safety speed are missing the point and missing Harris' role, he's the QB on defense, could that have been replaced, yes, but at what cost?  If we let Harris go, who is the guy that we bring in during FA?  Harris didn't get a big money long term deal, it's a 3 year deal designed to transition the position to the guy who's going to replace him in the near future, but Harris is still a 3 down player who can be phased out.  Harris isn't old yet either.  Look at how long a player like Ray Lewis played, Harris has a similar stigma on this team, obviously not as flamboyant, but let's not undermine the value Harris has had.  There is no doubt Rex wanted Harris in Buffalo.

Another angle to think about are the players Bowles has had in Miami and Arizona

Larry Foote was a central player on his defense the last two years, and he will be 35 this year

Carlos Dansby was another middle LB on Bowles defense the year before last year and was in Miami with him as well, he will be 34 this year

Pretty sure the Cardinal defense didn't suffer with these two players QB'ng Bowles defenses the last several years.

This leads me to believe Bowles values a veteran player at the MLB position, and Harris just turned 31

We've been watching and despairing at this guy slowly becoming obsolete in the NFL. Check pretty much any game thread from last season.

Now we're defending the investment in him when he's only going to get worse.

Classic Jets. And I used to be an optimist. 

Money should not be the issue because, according to reports, the guaranteed money is only 2 years. Harris got himself a 2 year deal that doesn't hurt the cap because Jets have a ton of room this year and next.

The issue is whether there was an available upgrade, which I dont think there was. No way Mac was going to pull an Idzik and let Harris leave without a viable replacement

We're such a ******* travesty.

Everyone defending this move will be the same ones calling for the GM's head in a years time.

David f*cking Harris. In 2015. Jesus.

Let's just hope the NFL completely bucks the pass heavy trend in the next 3 years and this works out. 

More like the same ones defending this move would be the same ones poking fun at the stupidity of this move at this cost if it were made by the Bills.

More like the same ones defending this move would be the same ones poking fun at the stupidity of this move at this cost if it were made by the Bills.

We've paid Harris like hes a perrenial all-pro. We seem to have a thing for hanging onto linebackers for too long.

Well anyone who starts is technically a vital player in a defense.

If we take an ILB in the first 3 rounds you can all point and say how wrong I was. 

The only possible excuse for locking us into a 2-down ILB, and using him for 3 downs (as you'll see will happen), for the next 2 seasons minimum is if they want to get rid of Demario Davis and didn't want to have to replace two ILBers.

But he is the polar opposite of what our defensive-minded HC says he wanted and was to preach on defense: speed. And frankly that's pretty much the only thing I've heard from Bowles since getting hired. Then we re-sign 3 slow linebackers.

We've paid Harris like hes a perrenial all-pro. We seem to have a thing for hanging onto linebackers for too long.

And RB's and QB's...

I think we all have to accept that players are going to be "overpaid" this offseason, the issue with this move is that I don't think David Harris is a very good player, and he's certainly doesn't fit with the stated goal of getting "faster".

I am totally fine overpaying for young players entering their prime, like had we went after Cobb

I am happy Harris is coming back. I think he is underrated and he has some gas left in the tank. We just can't ask him to run down field covering people. But the guy never misses a tackle and now they can focus on the secondary.

I am happy Harris is coming back. I think he is underrated and he has some gas left in the tank. We just can't ask him to run down field covering people. But the guy never misses a tackle and now they can focus on the secondary.

He actually does miss some tackles. It's a myth that he is a "great" tackler, and now that secondary's job is (again) harder with him returning. His problem in coverage isn't that we can't ask him to run downfield to cover people. It's that he can't even cover those who run right towards his area (or directly towards/at him outright).

I get re-signing someone in an effort to avoid creating another area of need. I do. It's that a lot of us saw him being here as an area of need to upgrade. He was the poster child of the slow defense we were supposed to move on from. The contract he got means we won't be seeking an upgrade anytime soon (unless we get lucky with a guy initially drafted or brought in for depth, which I'm now reduced to wishing for).

He actually does miss some tackles. It's a myth that he is a "great" tackler, and now that secondary's job is (again) harder with him returning. His problem in coverage isn't that we can't ask him to run downfield to cover people. It's that he can't even cover those who run right towards his area (or directly towards/at him outright).

I get re-signing someone in an effort to avoid creating another area of need. I do. It's that a lot of us saw him being here as an area of need to upgrade. He was the poster child of the slow defense we were supposed to move on from. The contract he got means we won't be seeking an upgrade anytime soon (unless we get lucky with a guy initially drafted or brought in for depth, which I'm now reduced to wishing for).

No you are wrong. I just watched every play of his in the NFL.  He actually never missed a tackle. I double checked.  

I've never been a huge fan of Harris. It was especially annoying when most of the fan base was clamoring for him to get his extension a few years back because he was the "quiet soldier" and hadn't held out for one. Terrible reasoning, but people were jaded by Revis holding out and wanted to play white knight superfan.

But I'm cool with this re-signing. We overpaid, but we have a rookie head coach and that's the overriding factor. He wants (needs) that veteran presence in the middle.

solid 3-4 inside linebackers don't grow on trees.  weak drafting has killed this organization.  Harris deserves to stick around a couple more years but Maccagnan needs to draft a replacement very soon.

Deserves? The Jets deserve him to play this year for free (or for a partial refund) after that dopey contract Tannenbaum gave him. $9M/year with $30M guaranteed. That f*cking idiot.

I've never been a huge fan of Harris. It was especially annoying when most of the fan base was clamoring for him to get his extension a few years back because he was the "quiet soldier" and hadn't held out for one. Terrible reasoning, but people were jaded by Revis holding out and wanted to play white knight superfan.

But I'm cool with this re-signing. We overpaid, but we have a rookie head coach and that's the overriding factor. He wants (needs) that veteran presence in the middle.

White knight... Superfan? Wtf are you talking about?

Archived