Jets re-sign David Harris (3 years, $21.5M, $15M guaranteed) [MERGED]

Morrissey

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope Bowles has big plans to maximize Harris abilities when he's on the field

because I only wanted to offer him 2 years / 8-9 million.  I sure hope we didn't

give him a "gold watch contract" because of his eight years of service

This shocks me..One thing it says is Rex may have misjudged getting harris (trading Kiko) and Harris may 'like what he sees' w/new HC/GM tandem.......

I think it's more that Harris likes what he sees w/ 15 mill fully guaranteed.

*Self loathing Jets fans

I don't think that's the case at all..

Most everyone was very excited about the BM move - excited what we did, because it was a good move.  Paying giving a declining 31 year old ILB, that can't cover anyone $15mm guaranteed over two years...is simply a bad move.

I'm a Harris fan, one of my favorite Jets and glad we still have him but not at that amount...

Odds are the cap number is significantly lower than 7.5M the first two years, and he'll never see the third.

For example:

10M signing bonus

2.5M salary year 1

2.5M guaranteed year 2

8.5M year 3 = 21.5M total, 15M guaranteed 1st 2 years, 5.83M cap hit years 1 & 2, 8.5M cap savings (with a 3.33M dead money cap hit) if cut year 3 - making that a renegotiation year.

Not saying that's the structure - but I am saying I wouldn't crap all over this move before I know what the structure is.

Harris liked they paid him well above market value - nothing to do with the HC/GM tandem.

Please tell me what you are basing market value on?  How do we know what market value is with the new cap figures until the market is tested and comparable players are signed.  You are speculating on that being lower than what we just agreed with Harris. 

Most Line backers cant cover anyone anyway so whats the difference.  The guys is a leader, a true Jet and will one day be in the ring of honor.  We can still draft a very good LB at #6  to replace him and maybe "cover" receivers/tight ends.

Wait until you see the dollar figures thrown around when free agency starts.  The cap ceiling is going up, and there's several teams with a lot of money to spend.  Harris' new deal is going to pale in comparison.

Agreed here. Still think we overpaid to keep him away from Rex in Buffalo but the cap isn't 110-120 million anymore. Prepare to see some HUGE contracts coming.

My main problem with this deal is that 2nd year being fully guaranteed.

Archived