Jets re-sign David Harris (3 years, $21.5M, $15M guaranteed) [MERGED]

Morrissey

It seems a little high, but remember, we have two years where our cap is RIDICULOUSLY low.....You can bet in either this draft or the next, his replacement will be picked, and he will not see the 3rd year.  With a new coaching staff, you need your captain to lead, and that is what is going on.  Not a bad signing, I was just hoping for about $5.5-$6 million per year.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For depth, perhaps. But it will be no one of consequence.

That's right, they do start 2 ILBers. But Harris being one of them means they will be far less flexible. He is incapable of covering the ground requisite of a MLB. He is a known liability in coverage (I don't expect LBers to cover like DBs but Harris is overboard awful). His tackling prowess is also overrated, as he gets juked out of his lead feet. He's merely a solid tackler, not any sort of great one.  Bowles wanted speed on defense and we just locked ourselves into one of the slowest ILBers in the game for 2 more years (during which he'll get progressively slower still).

If the Jets take an ILB in the top 3 rounds after locking up Harris with $15M guaranteed, and probably locking up Davis shortly thereafter, that is not a suggestion that they're taking care of business. That is chicken with its head cut off behavior. We don't need 3 starting ILBers. We need 2 and sometimes 1. Except when we go 1, Harris is one of the last players you'd want. 

And now he's ours for 2 more seasons and he'll be force-fed onto the field no matter what. Come back to me if he's a role player next year and tell me how wrong I am. And even if he is, it's still mindless because now we're 1 extra veteran starter short as we pay a backup starter money.

This is a zero-upside, huge downside signing. If it was only $4M per, I still wouldn't love it, but at least it says to me they're not marrying themselves to him for the next 2-3 seasons and realize he's not all that.

You're basing all this from his days under a guy who had Coples, Eric Smith, and David Harris regularly dropping back and covering guys man to man instead of adjusting to a zone to fit the players.  If David Harris is asked to follow a RB for 20 yards in coverage the problem isn't David Harris it's the a$$hole who's asking him to do that regularly. 

David Harris has been a good soldier here for many years and this is the treatment he gets from the fanbase. Another reason why Jets fans are the most hated in football.

People seem to forget why DeMario Davis was drafted. HE's the coverage ILB, or the FILB (Free ILB). Harris is like the SILB (Strong ILB).

Really your gonna talk about the treatment the poor players get from the fanbase. Oh the bad/meanie Jet fans.

Just a quick question for those who dislike this deal and wanted Harris gone; who exactly did you plan on replacing him with? Granted, we may have overpaid him by a few million, but we have the cap-space and it is only a two year deal in reality. Would you have prefered he sign with Bills and we are left with a gaping hole in our linebackers?

So then why is everyone assuming and wanting to cut Harvin ??

Seriously, who did you guys want instead? AJ Hawk?

Hawk does pretty much the same job Harris does. Harris has been here since day one, already calls plays, and is a leader, so give me him over Hawk anyways.

You're basing all this from his days under a guy who had Coples, Eric Smith, and David Harris regularly dropping back and covering guys man to man instead of adjusting to a zone to fit the players.  If David Harris is asked to follow a RB for 20 yards in coverage the problem isn't David Harris it's the a$$hole who's asking him to do that regularly. 

Harris should be a 1-2 down ILB, and only on downs we decide to keep 4 LBers on the field. When we switch things around, he shouldn't be on the field. When it's a passing down and he's needed to drop into coverage (whether zone or man), he shouldn't be on the field. He's fine to keep out there when you know it's going to be a running play. That isn't enough to bypass an upgrade, and his contract dictates we will be doing just that for years.

You're complaining about using people wrong. Well we just hired a HC who claims we need speed and more speed on defense. Then the first signing on that side of the ball is David Harris, arguably the slowest ILB in football. 

It seems a little high, but remember, we have two years where our cap is RIDICULOUSLY low.....You can bet in either this draft or the next, his replacement will be picked, and he will not see the 3rd year.  With a new coaching staff, you need your captain to lead, and that is what is going on.  Not a bad signing, I was just hoping for about $5.5-$6 million per year.

In reality the cap hit for the first two years will probably be about 6-6.5 million the first two year, and 2-3 million in dead money for the third year after he is cut.

Sorry, at some point a LB has to cover RB's/TE's...that's the job.  You, of course, want to try and protect the player when you can - but when you're paying an ILB $15mm over two years - you expect him to be capable in both coverage and running game.

Sorry, at some point a LB has to cover RB's/TE's...that's the job.  You, of course, want to try and protect the player when you can - but when you're paying an ILB $15mm over two years - you expect him to be capable in both coverage and running game.

Figured we'd eventually agree on something this week.

Just didn't think it would be this soon. :)

So then why is everyone assuming and wanting to cut Harvin ??

a. We'd be paying 10.5 million to a gadget player/3rd receiver when we have two better receivers making less money already on the team

b. If he's on the roster past a certain date we have to give up our 4th round pick,

We once drafted Vernon Gholston to keep him away from the Patriots. Good times.

That comparison is absurd and you know it. One is a proven productive ILB, the other did not play a snap in the NFL.

David Harris has been a good soldier here for many years and this is the treatment he gets from the fanbase. Another reason why Jets fans are the most hated in football.

People seem to forget why DeMario Davis was drafted. HE's the coverage ILB, or the FILB (Free ILB). Harris is like the SILB (Strong ILB).

yea we really have benefited from his play the last 4 years

That comparison is absurd and you know it. One is a proven productive ILB, the other did not play a snap in the NFL.

The premise presented was the same. If they want him because they want him that's one thing. If there was even a fraction of doing this to stop the Bills from signing him it's a valid comparison. Still a dumb signing, but for a different reason.

Re-signing the Hitman made me happier than signing Marshall. I love Harris and dreaded the thoughts of him leaving. :)

Signing Marshall made me happier than re-signing the Hitman. I didn't love Harris and was looking forward to the thoughts of him going elsewhere so we could upgrade to a legitimate 3-down ILB for a small fraction of the cost. :) :)

The premise presented was the same. If they want him because they want him that's one thing. If there was even a fraction of doing this to stop the Bills from signing him it's a valid comparison. Still a dumb signing, but for a different reason.

I think people are overestimating the Bills factor and are underestimating the replacement factor. The UFA pool was weak for ILBs and Harris has proven to be productive. Granted, we overpaid by a few millions, but he still has two solid years left (he will be cut by the third year of the contract), so it really is not too bad of a deal.

a. We'd be paying 10.5 million to a gadget player/3rd receiver when we have two better receivers making less money already on the team

b. If he's on the roster past a certain date we have to give up our 4th round pick,

I think that "gadget/3rd" receiver would look tremendous with the open space Marshall and Decker could provide. This has the potential to be a truly dynamic offense why sell it short due to money which we have in excess and the difference between a 4th and 6th draft pick. Say Mac drafts someone like Jalen Saunders with the 4th pick - are we going to wish we had Harvin back then ??

Archived