Harvin deal was idziks fu to the jets

aec4

You're right.

Acquiring a player who excels in open space for a mid round draft pick and has no guaranteed money on his contract screams 'F U!'

Idzik is like a ninja. A retarded ninja.

We were NEVER going to keep him around for 10.5m. So we were a bottom feeder team and we brought on a 1 yr rental. It cost us 6m cap space and a 6th

We were NEVER going to keep him around for 10.5m. So we were a bottom feeder team and we brought on a 1 yr rental. It cost us 6m cap space and a 6th

It was a gamble. All trades usually are. The thought was that we needed to Geno with weapons (and not with Kerley/scrub once Decker got nicked up) in order to judge whether he could be a competent NFL QB.  Harvin had a couple solid games, a few mediocre ones, and stayed out of trouble. So they give up a 6th round pick? Who cares. The potential upside to this trade was worth that. 

The Harvin deal was totally fine.

Fans can talk about "tanking" like it's not a problem at all but even if Percy's a "character issue" I'm sure the players got a morale boost from the front office finally bringing in a guy who could play. By and large it wasn't a roster set up to succeed in the 2014 season.

Let's stop knocking the Harvin deal, because there are plenty of Jet fans who want to keep him still, even with the Marshall trade. We sure weren't going anywhere at 1-5 but that doesn't mean you give up and don't try to upgrade your team.

If anything Jets fans should thank Idzik. He fixed a horrible cap situation, signed Decker to what I believe is a great price, and let the team suck to a 4-12 record and the 6th overall pick. Idzik was harshly criticized for neglecting the corner spot, but I don't think anyone on this board can believe DRC or Cro would've made a difference. The draft was another bad spot, but he did draft an absolute monster in Sheldon Richardson and few players who I believe will be productive starters (Amaro, Pryor, Milliner) . I wanted Idzik fired as much as the next guy, but this whole "grand scheme to sabotage the Jets" or the "he's a complete moron" thing just doesn't hold water. He wasn't a good GM by any means, but he wasn't the worst GM of all time by any stretch of the imagination.

Let's stop knocking the Harvin deal, because there are plenty of Jet fans who want to keep him still, even with the Marshall trade. We sure weren't going anywhere at 1-5 but that doesn't mean you give up and don't try to upgrade your team.

They were going to cut him. He panicked. With his contract it was easy to see we were cutting him. So we burnt 6m cap space and a 6th

They were going to cut him. He panicked. With his contract it was easy to see we were cutting him. So we burnt 6m cap space and a 6th

I doubt the Jets were the only team that were going to trade for Percy, if it wasn't us it would've been another team. You must hate this Marshall trade because it's essentially the same thing, and if we didn't trade for him (Marshall) he would've been cut like next week because his contract would've been guaranteed.

The worse move was really the Kerley deal, complete head scratcher for a guy who had a horrible season

The worse move was really the Kerley deal, complete head scratcher for a guy who had a horrible season

Maybe Woody's new thing is to keep homegrown players at any price after the revisions backlash. Thus Kerley and harris get nicer deals . Watch Wilkerson get an absurd deal too.

Maybe Woody's new thing is to keep homegrown players at any price after the revisions backlash. Thus Kerley and harris get nicer deals . Watch Wilkerson get an absurd deal too.

At this rate Wilkerson will get McCoy or Watt money

If anything Jets fans should thank Idzik. He fixed a horrible cap situation, signed Decker to what I believe is a great price, and let the team suck to a 4-12 record and the 6th overall pick. Idzik was harshly criticized for neglecting the corner spot, but I don't think anyone on this board can believe DRC or Cro would've made a difference. The draft was another bad spot, but he did draft an absolute monster in Sheldon Richardson and few players who I believe will be productive starters (Amaro, Pryor, Milliner) . I wanted Idzik fired as much as the next guy, but this whole "grand scheme to sabotage the Jets" or the "he's a complete moron" thing just doesn't hold water. He wasn't a good GM by any means, but he wasn't the worst GM of all time by any stretch of the imagination.

He got us out of a crappy cap situation.  He's a great cap guy but awful at evaluating talent.  The way he busted the 2014 draft is what cost him his job.  They usually say you have to wait a couple years to grade a draft but when half the picks don't even make the team it's a problem.

Thank You , at least some people here see the light . They can't understand the beauty of the Harvin and Marshall contracts - yet they applaud the Kerley or even the Harris contracts because they're homegrown Jets - what nonsense. 

He got us out of a crappy cap situation.  He's a great cap guy but awful at evaluating talent.  The way he busted the 2014 draft is what cost him his job.  They usually say you have to wait a couple years to grade a draft but when half the picks don't even make the team it's a problem.

Definitely, he had a ton of picks and didn't get a lot out of it. 

Thank You , at least some people here see the light . They can't understand the beauty of the Harvin and Marshall contracts - yet they applaud the Kerley or even the Harris contracts because they're homegrown Jets - what nonsense. 

Both the Kerley and Harris contracts are bad. Harris I can get behind more than the Kerley contract, you can argue Harris would've gotten around the same or more on the open market though I doubt he would've (we'll never know), Kerley was having a bad season and got 4 million per. Glad he's still around but we're kinda locked in with him in the slot, so it makes us less inclined to keep a Harvin or sign a Cobb, because we already have a slot guy. Also, the Marshall contract is great, we pay what? 7.7 million for him (better than paying a Smith or Cobb 10-12 mill) and if he's such a head case and really has lost a step? Cut him, I believe his next two years aren't guaranteed, so he's essentially on a one year deal. Overall, I'm still excited about this new regime.

Like a lot of trades, it looks way worse in hindsight than at the time because of how things ended up. But in hindsight it was a terrible move. What was so bad about it wasn't even the money. It was the timing.

He wanted to see what he had in Geno Smith. Well given the importance of the position, this information should have been just as important in the offseason. That means he had to grab DeSean Jackson when he was available. And when he passed on that (presumably because he targeted a certain WR in the draft) then he had to get that WR instead of hoping and praying and assuming the Giants or someone else didn't want him just as badly. And after THAT came and went, to let the position go until round 4 and draft guys who were in no way ready to step onto the field as starters. If any ever become so, great, but if you need an instant starter NOW you don't hold off until the longer-shot picks are all that's available. And part of the reason he did that was that he painted himself into a corner at CB.

It's a whole domino effect. Failure to sign/draft a starter in one place will necessarily affect what he does the following FA period or the following draft. You want a guard so badly you draft 3 of them? Then don't draft 3 of them (one who played on defense in college at that); draft 1 of them and draft him earlier (but not in the top 13; he at least knew that). And if you're not willing to touch a guard that high, then don't cut a dirt-cheap known starter in Slauson and paint yourself into yet another corner in the draft.

Just like WR. You want one so badly? Don't draft 3 of them; draft one of them and draft him early. Use some extra picks to trade up now or trade them for players now or for better picks next year for God's sake. You don't take all 12 picks because you're conceding you're throwing 5 of them in the garbage if we're LUCKY.

Harvin was a direct result of these poorly-executed prior actions and inactions. So while it can be rationalized as an ok move at the time, ultimately it was his admission of screwing up so badly he couldn't even get an adequate analysis of the QB he himself drafted. You can't look at the Harvin trade as an isolated move IMO. He is one in a series of them.

I doubt the Jets were the only team that were going to trade for Percy, if it wasn't us it would've been another team. You must hate this Marshall trade because it's essentially the same thing, and if we didn't trade for him (Marshall) he would've been cut like next week because his contract would've been guaranteed.

Yes, Marshall would have had takers in the next week, . The jets came and offered a mid range pick, I don't think they would have got a 4th but the bears took what they had on the table, rather than twist in the wind and watch him go to a rival in the nfc,

Like a lot of trades, it looks way worse in hindsight than at the time because of how things ended up. But in hindsight it was a terrible move. What was so bad about it wasn't even the money. It was the timing.

He wanted to see what he had in Geno Smith. Well given the importance of the position, this information should have been just as important in the offseason. That means he had to grab DeSean Jackson when he was available. And when he passed on that (presumably because he targeted a certain WR in the draft) then he had to get that WR instead of hoping and praying and assuming the Giants or someone else didn't want him just as badly. And after THAT came and went, to let the position go until round 4 and draft guys who were in no way ready to step onto the field as starters. If any ever become so, great, but if you need an instant starter NOW you don't hold off until the longer-shot picks are all that's available. And part of the reason he did that was that he painted himself into a corner at CB.

It's a whole domino effect. Failure to sign/draft a starter in one place will necessarily affect what he does the following FA period or the following draft. You want a guard so badly you draft 3 of them? Then don't draft 3 of them (one who played on defense in college at that); draft 1 of them and draft him earlier (but not in the top 13; he at least knew that). And if you're not willing to touch a guard that high, then don't cut a dirt-cheap known starter in Slauson and paint yourself into yet another corner in the draft.

Just like WR. You want one so badly? Don't draft 3 of them; draft one of them and draft him early. Use some extra picks to trade up now or trade them for players now or for better picks next year for God's sake. You don't take all 12 picks because you're conceding you're throwing 5 of them in the garbage if we're LUCKY.

Harvin was a direct result of these poorly-executed prior actions and inactions. So while it can be rationalized as an ok move at the time, ultimately it was his admission of screwing up so badly he couldn't even get an adequate analysis of the QB he himself drafted. You can't look at the Harvin trade as an isolated move IMO. He is one in a series of them.

Excellent post. I'd like to add that Idzik did crap to "get us out of cap hell", All he did was cut some obvious dead weight (Holmes, Sanchez) and manage to get market value for one of the best corners in the game. Woopdie-freakin-doo. Matt Millen could've gotten us out of cap hell, too. The reason it was so easy to do was, Tannenbaum set it up that way.

We were 1-5. No hope to go anywhere.

So now we lose a 6th for 62% a season. To make it worse, we could have carried over the money we spent on him last year. That would be another 6m. (I think)

It was a desperation move than an FU move. GM's dont say "Hey, my job is on the line but let me tank the rest of the season so we can get a higher pick, save 7 million and be fired at the end of the season so the fans will be happy during the offseason". We can cut Harvin right now with no problem. 

I am not upset about the Harris deal.  It's good to have a couple home grown guys and he also can provide leadership. 

I look at it this way.  We cut Harvin to save $10.5 million.  We got Marshall and Harris both for $7.5 million each for 2015.  $15 million for those two minus $10.5 million saved on Harvin we only spent $4.5 million against the cap for 2015.

creating cap space and losing 12 games is not a being a great cap guy. A monkey can do that. The guys who are good at it win will creating space.

Idzik did a terrible job here

can you imagine our offense next year with Marshall, Percy, Decker, Amaro and Kerley?  with Ivory and Powell at RB.

god damn that's a great set of weapons for Geno

Archived