Cobb close to agreeing w/Raiders

prime21

Their front office must just look at the stats, too, since they signed Jordy long term and are letting Cobb walk.

and truth be told Jordy's contract was a little over $9M per, from what I hear Cobb's offer was slightly more mon and Cobb will get $12M on market so there's that

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That post was pure fact.

If not, please explain to me how Sanchez at #5 and Gholston at #6 were great draft picks by the Jets.

Not great picks but not worst top-10 over last decade (although Gholston might be, Sanchez definitely not).

Just looking at top-10 pick QBs, you have Leinart and Vince Young to choose from but both of them pale in comparison to Jamarcus Russell, who has to take the top prize.  When it comes to biggest draft busts, Sanchez can't even sniff their butts.

That's enough to invalidate your attempted troll-point.  And I'm one of your more frequent supporters.

Cobb is a very good WR and I would've loved to have him here, but he's going to get overpaid by the Raiders by a fair margin (I had him pegged in the $7-8 million range) and that is just as bad as giving up a 5th round pick.   Second, Cobb is a slot WR, one we already have a position filled for, and we need a true No. 1 opposite Decker, so it's a better fit.  Third, waiting on Cobb has a level of uncertainty, for all that we may like him, he may not want to come to the Jets and we're left holding Harvin's jockstrap.   By trading a pick, we assured ourselves a No. 1 WR without having to getting into a bidding war with numerous teams for a guy that most likely is going to be overpaid.   

I'm surprised at how much money Cobb is getting, and I'll admit Raider fan was right when he said earlier in the year that they would overpay for him.  

You should know it is all about timing, Nelson's contract was up first, the Packers will miss Cobb immensely

Their front office is not stupid. It's one of the smartest in the league. If Cobb was the better player, he'd still be there and Jordy would be gone. Has nothing to do with timing. They JUST signed Nelson in July. Their contracts were BOTH up after this season. Nelson is also considerably older, which would theoretically make Cobb more attractive to them, if only Nelson wasn't also considerably better.

If Marshall was a FA - I would think he'd get more per year than Cobb. The 5th was worth it to get him at his current salary with the ability to keep him for 2 more years. The FA money is gonna be insane. I'd rather use it on a CB & OL than a WR. I also think Cooper & White are still in play. Jets will go BPA.

Their front office is not stupid. It's one of the smartest in the league. If Cobb was the better player, he'd still be there and Jordy would be gone. Has nothing to do with timing. They JUST signed Nelson in July. Their contracts were BOTH up after this season. Nelson is also considerably older, which would theoretically make Cobb more attractive to them, if only Nelson wasn't also considerably better.

Dude what don't you get, they already offered Cobb more than Nelson, he turned down....hello

So at least we have that. I mean, we cut a fourth round pick before the season started last year, sooo cutting our 5th round equivalent after just one season would be a step in the right direction of some sorts, right? I'll chalk that up to progress.

Ahh, that will be a draft pick well spent.

Great this is another 1 year deal while giving up a pick. Didnt we learn already with Tebow?

OMG GUYS IM NOT DEFENDING THE TRADE IM JUST TRYING TO STAY POSITIVE JEEZ

Dude what don't you get, they already offered Cobb more than Nelson, he turned down....hello

Hello. You literally JUST said the only reason Nelson signed and Cobb walked was timing.

Jordy's contract is 4/39. They reportedly will not offer Cobb more than $9 million a year. I don't think 4 times 9 million is 40 million.

We wont be going after him now unfortunately. Im still trying to wrap my head around the Marshall trade...it kind of seems like the Plaxico move.

Matt really ? How is it even remotely close? 34 year old WR who never had Marshalls Skill set coming off 2 years in prison

Matt really ? How is it even remotely close? 34 year old WR who never had Marshalls Skill set coming off 2 years in prison

These trades always end up being more than you bargain for. We already losing a 6th on Percy, now another pick. The Jets don't like WR's for some reason it seems.

These trades always end up being more than you bargain for. We already losing a 6th on Percy, now another pick. The Jets don't like WR's for some reason it seems.

Brandon Marshall is a move the Chains guy and he has just about every added extra you want in a WR. Hes tough over the Middle, Hes a beast of a blocker, Hes very hard to take down, Hes a huge threat in the redzone and hes got some serious passion for the game. Hes not a speed guy who will burn out due to diminishing speed. To get that for a 5th is a steal and I think he can easily play into his mid 30's . This team has needed a possession guy for a long time and he gives this offense another option to NOT BE predictable. This opens things up for Decker and Marshall will be an asset to the Screen pass due to his blocking skills and Chan loves to run them screens. Look at the whole picture as to what the player brings don't try and compare it to previous trades because guys like Santonio and Edwards and Plaxico were never in the same zip code as a Brandon Marshall

Watching these threads devolve around The Troll and DaBallhawk every day is like watching home video of T0mshane from when he was a 14 year old goth chic cutting his inner thighs with a spork boosted from the Taco Bell in the bad neighborhood his parents forbid him from going to.

Watching these threads devolve around The Troll and DaBallhawk every day is like watching home video of T0mshane from when he was a 14 year old goth chic cutting his inner thighs with a spork boosted from the Taco Bell in the bad neighborhood his parents forbid him from going to.

I was a late bloomer.

Was looking up past Jets trades for WR's and stumbled across the Just Mccariens deal. And then we paid him again. Jets.

Yep. Almost as magical as trading away Santana Moss for Lav Coles when we drafted BOTH of them. Jets.

Plot twist, The Troll is Daballhawk...

If they land Cobb, then Oakland can make a huge trade with Philly instead of White/Cooper and still get their OL later, another WR and a RB in round 2. This is far more likely than Philly allowing Mariotta to drop to #6 and then dealing with us.

The problem with this, for Philadelphia, is they don't get to package Foles in their trade-up. They not only have to give up more to move up to Oakland's spot than ours, but they can't use Foles in the trade on top of that.

Just like when we moved up for Sanchez. Painful as the memory is in hindsight, in terms of trade value we did very well. The only reason we were able to do that was because Mangini wanted 3 of our players and was willing to take that in trade instead of us forking over more draft picks (good draft picks).

While teams don't adhere to trade value charts like they once did, I'm sure they do use it as a baseline at a minimum.

Moving up from #20 to #5 would cost Philadelphia their 2015 1st, 2nd, and 6th plus their 2016 1st and 2nd. They wouldn't have a 1st or 2nd round pick until 2017. Packaging Foles could help reduce that haul.  Sure, they could try to move him after that trade, but they would be under the gun to get it done immediately (bad for negotiating position) or it'll be too late to get back a pick this year.

Ideally I'm sure they would like to trade with a team that will take Foles as part of the package. That more or less takes Oakland and Jacksonville out of it, and I don't think they want to rescue Washington from its QB problem or trade them all those picks either. That leaves it down to us and Tennessee. Moving up to #2 will cost them more compensation than moving up to #6.

What would complicate this is if someone else (Cleveland) was competing with them for this trade-up. Then they're not going to have the luxury of moving Foles as part of the deal. But Cleveland won't sneak in there; barring temporary brain damage, whoever they propose a deal to will still call up Kelly to see if he wants to one-up Cleveland's offer.

@AdamSchefter: Randall Cobb back to Green Bay on a 4-year, $40 million deal, per source.

That's hilarious. Not the money or anything, Cobb is good, but the six pages it took to get there. Smart move by the Packers, he's their best pass catcher and really their best non-Rodgers player on offense.

Archived