Cobb close to agreeing w/Raiders

prime21

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's hilarious. Not the money or anything, Cobb is good, but the six pages it took to get there. Smart move by the Packers, he's their best pass catcher and really their best non-Rodgers player on offense.

This.

bah, was hoping this would take raiders out of the WR market

Me too. 

Hmmmmmm I guess Pack value Cobb more than Jordy....who knew lol

Yes, that's why they resigned Nelson last summer and were prepared to let Cobb walk unless he signed a deal that was reportedly less than what several other teams were offering.

You know the cap went up, right? 4/39 in July 2014 and 4/40 in March 2015 are not a reflection of the way the team values the players in comparison to one another. If they valued Cobb more, they could have offered him the contract they offered Nelson and let it go down to the wire with Jordy.

Hell, Maclin too. If we had to have a vet, wouldnt Andre Johnson make more sense? I dont get the trade.

We got a very good receiver for a 5th rd pick. What else do you guys want? The days of relying on the Chaz Schilenses and David Nelson's are OVER

THANK JESUS

Yes, that's why they resigned Nelson last summer and were prepared to let Cobb walk unless he signed a deal that was reportedly less than what several other teams were offering.

You know the cap went up, right? 4/39 in July 2014 and 4/40 in March 2015 are not a reflection of the way the team values the players in comparison to one another. If they valued Cobb more, they could have offered him the contract they offered Nelson and let it go down to the wire with Jordy.

Ummm  they paid Cobb more than Nelson, if they really didn't want Cobb they could have let him walk, but Thompson watches the same games I do, and Cobb is a Beast

Ummm  they paid Cobb more than Nelson, if they really didn't want Cobb they could have let him walk, but Thompson watches the same games I do, and Cobb is a Beast

Did not say he isn't a good player. But Nelson is better and the fact that their contracts were up at the same time and they chose to risk losing Cobb, but not Nelson tells me the Packers agree with me.

Did not say he isn't a good player. But Nelson is better and the fact that their contracts were up at the same time and they chose to risk losing Cobb, but not Nelson tells me the Packers agree with me.

I believe Cobb was coming off knee injury, Cobb is also 4 yrs younger. Bottom Line they paid Cobb more than Nelson, that should tell you all you need to know.

Nelson also wasn't about to hit free agency in less than 72 hours at the time he was extended. He was locked up for far less for the upcoming season. One injury and he misses out on another $10M, so Green Bay had the upper hand in negotiations. Comparatively, Cobb had the full upper hand with at least 2 other teams pushing themselves out of the way to pay him even more.

Even as a full unrestricted free agent in serious danger of being on someone else's roster after the weekend (which Nelson wasn't), Cobb got a contract worth 2.5% more after the salary cap went up 7.5%. In relative terms, they paid Nelson more, but it matters not: they clearly value both of them. Probably Nelson a little more because Rodgers has only gone so overboard in praising Nelson, calling him clearly the best #1 receiver he's played with in his career. But they love and value Cobb as well, and don't think he's purely a product of Aaron Rodgers (and/or Nelson drawing attention away also), otherwise they wouldn't have made this offer.

I believe Cobb was coming off knee injury, Cobb is also 4 yrs younger. Bottom Line they paid Cobb more than Nelson, that should tell you all you need to know.

The post directly below the one I am quoting explains why this is not the case far better than I can.

Long term, I think he'll make more on a Green Bay deal, even if the big/total number is less than an offer from Oakland or Jacksonville might have been. He's less likely to get cut after the guaranteed money is over, when the new team isn't getting 1300 yards and a dozen TDs from him like GB did (and will again). He'll still be very productive as long as he and Rodgers are both still there, and he'll be doubly more likely to cash in big on yet another contract when this one's up at age 29.

In other words, Cobb may not have really taken a hometown discount as it kind of seems on the surface. He'll probably make more long term this way. I could definitely see him getting cut for cap reasons after multiple 900 yard, 5 TD seasons in Oakland or Jacksonville, catching from a young Carr or Bortles with no one drawing serious attention away from him. Then after missing out on the 4th balloon year of that contract at $12-14M, he also wouldn't sniff another #1 FA WR deal like this after that.

By staying in GB, and with the cap going up, there's a very good chance his next contract will eclipse this one. Plus it's got to be more fun/exciting when you're catching passes from just about the best QB ever born.

Good for Cobb and good for Green Bay.

No that is not true. Cobb was in a far better negotiating position in March of 2015 than Nelson (or Cobb) was in July of 2014. There were no other competing bids for Nelson back then since he was under contract. Not so in March, where Cobb could meet with and accept bids from 31 other teams.

Beyond that, go back to July 2014: Nelson and Cobb are both going to become free agents after the season, at the exact same time. Which one did they rush to sign before camp began, and which one were they willing to risk losing after the season?

They clearly like both WRs tremendously, and have good reason to. But it's also clear they thought Nelson was more important to their team or they'd have extended Cobb this past July and risked losing Nelson instead of the other way around. In terms of dollars, relative to the cap ceiling at the time, Nelson's contract was higher. The cap went up by 7.5% but Cobb's contract was only 2.5% higher. And that was despite being in an infinitely better negotiating position.

Regardless, I don't understand what beef you've got over this.

No that is not true. Cobb was in a far better negotiating position in March of 2015 than Nelson (or Cobb) was in July of 2014. There were no other competing bids for Nelson back then since he was under contract. Not so in March, where Cobb could meet with and accept bids from 31 other teams.

Beyond that, go back to July 2014: Nelson and Cobb are both going to become free agents after the season, at the exact same time. Which one did they rush to sign before camp began, and which one were they willing to risk losing after the season?

They clearly like both WRs tremendously, and have good reason to. But it's also clear they thought Nelson was more important to their team or they'd have extended Cobb this past July and risked losing Nelson instead of the other way around. In terms of dollars, relative to the cap ceiling at the time, Nelson's contract was higher. The cap went up by 7.5% but Cobb's contract was only 2.5% higher. And that was despite being in an infinitely better negotiating position.

Regardless, I don't understand what beef you've got over this.

Just banter, both are very good Wr's

Which opens up the window for them to trade back.  I still think they take Cooper/White - if not either they'll take Chip's draft...

is the raiders they are such a bad team they will just ask for their 4th lol

Archived