Free Agency Twitter Updates

DaBallhawk

The bold is the bottom line for me regarding trading Milliner. Is it possible that someone will make a crazy offer? Yes, it's possible. I'd also say that it's highly unlikely. If someone wants to make that offer, I'd gladly take it. But this is no time for the Jets to be shopping Milliner. They're better off seeing if he can get/stay healthy and be a useful piece on their team, rather than trading him for pennies on the dollar.

Only way I disagree is if they know that he isn't part of their plans.  It is possible, unlikely, but possible, that they think they will probably cut him.  In that case now is the time to move him.  New regime may just not like him, but he was regarded highly pretty universally coming out.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jets head coach Todd Bowles and general manager Mike Maccagnan did a conference call with season-ticket holders on Thursday afternoon. The call lasted for about 22 minutes and covered a variety of topics. A quick rundown:

Another quarterback? Bowles suggested the Jets still want to get one more.

Muhammad Wilkerson's contract. Wilkerson, the big defensive end, is entering a contract year. Expect a new deal to get done. Just don't expect it to happen before the draft, which is from April 30-May 2.

• Best available or need? Both Bowles and Maccagnan said repeatedly the Jets aim to take the best player available once it's their turn to draft at No. 6. But need will be a factor, too. "Say, for example, you have a lot of players rated in the same area, like, in terms of grade and value," Maccagnan said. "Sometimes you can use need as sort of your tiebreaker if you want to go in a certain direction. But, ideally, we're going to stack our board from how we see them, best to worst."

What kind of an offense can we expect? Bowles has covered this ground before, but with Chan Gailey now in place as offensive coordinator and Geno Smith having run a spread offense in college, the Jets plan to do a little bit of everything. "We're going to be versatile that way," Bowles said. "We don't want to be predictable one way or the other."

They're open to everything on draft day. Maccagnan made it clear the draft evaluation process is still evolving, and that the Jets are "not necessarily" locked in on one player or one scenario—including a trade up or down.

Could any young guys get more reps? The Jets have several players ostensibly waiting in the wings for more playing time, but when asked directly about that, Maccagnan gave an interesting answer (even as he pointed out the offseason program doesn't begin until Monday): He likes wideout Jeremy Kerley, whom he scouted in college at TCU when Maccagnan worked for the Texans. "I'm kind of excited to see him in terms of maybe getting a few more reps than he got last year." Kerley played 752 snaps last season (second only to Eric Decker among Jets receivers), but he was only targeted 64 times, per Pro Football Focus.

Cap space? Don't worry about it. The Jets have handed out a lot of big contracts this offseason, but much of the guaranteed money in all of them is tied to this year and 2016, which gives them plenty of flexibility going forward. Maccagnan basically said not to panic that the Jets have been profligate spenders, especially with the salary expected to rise "fairly significantly" a few years down the road.

What about Quinton Coples? The Jets need an edge rusher, but they do still have Quinton Coples, a 2012 first-round pick who was drafted to play on the defensive line before moving to more of an outside linebacker role. "I think he can do a little of both," Bowles said. "Until we get in and see how good of an athlete he is ... we'll kind of play him accordingly. Right now, he's kind of an in-between, and that makes him an asset."

Maccagnan's thoughts on the offensive line. In free agency, the Jets added guard James Carpenter from the Seahawks, plus a couple of depth options in James Brewer of the Giants and Corey Hilliard of the Lions. What about the draft? "I think, historically, when you look at teams that are successful, one of the things they do in the draft, they find value in offensive linemen prospects that they can kind of groom and develop," Maccagnan said. "They don't always have to be high picks." Read into that what you will.

The tampering charge. The Jets and Patriots, those crazy kids, are determined to fight to the death over the respective tampering charges surrounding cornerback Darrelle Revis, but maccagnan wouldn't go there. He basically declined to comment and said it was a league matter.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/04/highlights_from_todd_bowles_and_mike_maccagnans_in.html

Well...What do those numbers tell you? I thought the DB's would have had a higher % of snaps, since I've heard that Bowles likes to run big nickel packages.

I just read those %'s and thought...wtf did we sign a 100 CB's for?

lol

Well...What do those numbers tell you? I thought the DB's would have had a higher % of snaps, since I've heard that Bowles likes to run big nickel packages.

I just read those %'s and thought...wtf did we sign a 100 CB's for?

lol

It shows six DBs on the field at least 64% of the time, and a seventh 40% of the time. Conversely, only two LBs are on the field more than 64% of the time. That's a lot of nickel and dime.

Best available or need? Both Bowles and Maccagnan said repeatedly the Jets aim to take the best player available once it's their turn to draft at No. 6. But need will be a factor, too. "Say, for example, you have a lot of players rated in the same area, like, in terms of grade and value," Maccagnan said. "Sometimes you can use need as sort of your tiebreaker if you want to go in a certain direction. But, ideally, we're going to stack our board from how we see them, best to worst."

Maccagnan's thoughts on the offensive line. In free agency, the Jets added guard James Carpenter from the Seahawks, plus a couple of depth options in James Brewer of the Giants and Corey Hilliard of the Lions. What about the draft? "I think, historically, when you look at teams that are successful, one of the things they do in the draft, they find value in offensive linemen prospects that they can kind of groom and develop," Maccagnan said. "They don't always have to be high picks." Read into that what you will.

Really like what I'm reading here. Agree 100% on both counts.

It shows six DBs on the field at least 64% of the time, and a seventh 40% of the time. Conversely, only two LBs are on the field more than 64% of the time. That's a lot of nickel and dime.

You are correct, sir!! I was lazy and assumed the farthest list to the right was actual snaps...I now see those were ST snap %. I should have been looking at Defensive snaps %.

After seeing this stat, the more I think we trade down and grab Shaq Thompson in the teens. A LB/Safety hybrid.

You are correct, sir!! I was lazy and assumed the farthest list to the right was actual snaps...I now see those were ST snap %. I should have been looking at Defensive snaps %.

After seeing this stat, the more I think we trade down and grab Shaq Thompson in the teens. A LB/Safety hybrid.

He's a 4-3 OLB.  Love him, but it might not be a great fit in a 3-4.  But when Bowles has 6 or 7 DBs out there, he's the kind of player that can step in at LB. I chose him in the mock for Jacksonville with the 4th pick of round 2, ahead of the Jets.  Other mocks have him mid 2nd round. 

Possible smokescreen? Either Amari or Kevin White will be available at 6, maybe both. Then again, a lot of other potential studs are gonna be there at the beginning of round 2 (Devin Smith, Dorsett, and a few other 1st round prospects).

Only the Rams, Jaguars and Raider were worse. Awful.

It is going only off pro bowls so its a bit biased. It lists Matt Cassel for the Patriots and doesn't give us Wilkerson so you can probably take that article with a grain of salt.

They've interviewed PJ Williams, Ronald Darby, Marcus Peters and some other corner I can't recall right now. Anyone have any theories as to why?

With the NFL game today the two most important positions are QB & CB IMO. You can't have enough CBs / DBs especially with DBs injury rate.

Football has always been and will always be about Blocking and tackling.  If you don't block the defensive front 7, your QB will not complete many passes. If you tackle the QB as many times as he tries to throw the football, after a while he won't want to try and throw the ball anymore.

You have to block the defense to be successful and you have to hit the QB repeatedly to be successful.  Everything else is a direct result of those 2 functions.

Archived