Free Agency Twitter Updates

DaBallhawk

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best part of this thread is the people complaining about others panicking when there's literally no one panicking in this thread. Projection is my favorite phenomenon.

This is a total panic post.

That's nice , me too. Still need a plan A.

Given the free agent market and draft prospects at the QB position, you might want to start getting mentally prepared for Geno as plan A.

Given the free agent market and draft prospects at the QB position, you might want to start getting mentally prepared for Geno as plan A.

agree, a Vet will be brought in, but the Vet starting isnt a 'given'. I think based on system knowledge/personal knowledge, Jets find a way to get Fitz here. I've been wrong before though :)

Bringing in Hoyer is smart. It sends the message that we don't want to draft a QB, meaning teams don't need to get ahead of us for Mariotta.

This doesn't preclude us from acquiring Foles from Philly either.

Fill the QB room, let the coaches sort it out. Hoyer assumes same backup role other teams view him in if Foles wins job .

Love this thought.

In what world does a team with Hoyer, Geno, and baby Simms as your QB's signal to the league that you're set at that position?

Lol. I think ppl would take it to be a vote of confidence for Geno.

A quick update on the New York Jets' free-agent activity:

• As expected, the Jets were involved in discussions with cornerback Kareem Jackson, who ended up re-signing Saturday night with the Houston Texans. He reportedly received a four-year, $34 million contract, including $20 million in guarantees. That's a steep price for a corner with no Pro Bowls on his résumé, but that's the going rate. New Jets general manager, Mike Maccagnan, came from the Texans, so there was familiarity. The Jets, Texans and Philadelphia Eagles were the top suitors.

Cornerback is the Jets' No. 1 need. So what now? 

Look for them to jump into the Byron Maxwellsweepstakes. He figures to fetch at least $8.5 million a year, so there's little chance of him re-signing with the Seattle Seahawks, who already have big contracts in the secondary. The Jets also have interest in Chris Culliver (San Francisco 49ers) and Antonio Cromartie (Arizona Cardinals), and they will make a play for Darrelle Revis if he's released by the New England Patriots before Tuesday, which is likely. 

The Jets can't sign any of these players until 4 p.m. Tuesday, when the new league year begins. Right now we're in a three-day window in which teams are allowed to negotiate, but not meet with or sign unrestricted free agents. 

One player they can sign is former Eagles cornerCary Williams, 30, who has been visiting the Jets over the weekend. (He's not off limits because his contract was terminated last week.) He's coming off an uneven season, but he has plenty of solid experience (a starter for the Baltimore Ravens' Super Bowl team in 2012) and he has the size (6-foot-1) that Todd Bowles prefers at corner. He visited the Seahawks and is scheduled to meet with the Tennessee Titans.

• The quarterback market will be interesting. The player to watch is Brian Hoyer and the team to watch is the Texans.

The Jets, looking to add a veteran, like Hoyer. The Texans reportedly are interested in Hoyer, which makes sense because coach Bill O'Brien knows him from their days with the Patriots. The Texans also want to re-sign Ryan Mallett, perhaps envisioning a Mallett-Hoyer competition. If that happens, the Texans probably would cut veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick, who immediately becomes a possibility for the Jets. Fitzpatrick, 32, played under Chan Gailey with the Buffalo Billsand actually put up some decent numbers. He also threw a lot of interceptions.

• With Kenrick Ellis and Leger Douzable poised to hit the open market, the Jets have been shopping for defensive line depth. On Friday and Saturday, they met with tackle Chris Canty, cut recently by the Ravens. Canty left without a contract, but the two sides will keep open the lines of communication. Last week, the Jets visited with former St. Louis Ramstackle Kendall Langford. Both players have ties to Bowles and defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers.

One interesting name to watch is Vince Wilfork, whose option wasn't exercised by the Patriots.ESPN Patriots reporter Mike Reiss raises the possibility of a Wilfork-Jets marriage, noting that Wilfork is tight with Jets defensive line coach Pepper Johnson, a former longtime Patriots assistant.

drive by shooting in Orlando..  shot in the shoulder and is in stable condition in hospital.

apparently car he was in was targeted and someone is dead.

Damn...

Did you guys see the wr's Hoyer had to throw to for most of the yr ?he still threw for over 3200 in like 13 games he's the best we can get on the open market right now.

With Cameron hurt and Gordon suspended, one could argue his options were worse than the Jets had last year, even when Decker was hurt and Harvin was still in SEA.

1. @damienwoody I agree, especially considering what else is out there. Hoyer? Please.

View conversation0 replies3 retweets1 favorite
     Retweet3
     Favorite1
    More
  2.  Chris Nimbley retweeted

@PriscoCBS I just don’t get why ppl are so ready to dump Geno?! At least let the new coaching staff work with him

@mortreport: Ndamukong Suh will sign with #Dolphins on Tuesday based off parameters around $114 million and $60 million guaranteed, per sources.

Lovely.

In somewhat related news, I'll consider free agency a failure if we don't add 2 upgrades to the offensive line. My hope is for Orlando Franklin and that guy from Cincy's line. Name escapes me at the moment

Lovely.

In somewhat related news, I'll consider free agency a failure if we don't add 2 upgrades to the offensive line. My hope is for Orlando Franklin and that guy from Cincy's line. Name escapes me at the moment

Clint Boling I believe. Both for guard or do you want Franklin slide back to RT?  I'd be more inclined to sign two guards, but I have a feeling we'll sign one and let the trio of winters, aboushi and dozier compete for the remaining position.

Archived