Free Agency Twitter Updates

DaBallhawk

On what planet would Fitzpatrick not beat out Geno for the starting job?  In 2012, his last season under Chan Gailey, Fitzpatrick completed 61 % of his throws for 3,400 yards, 24 TD's and 16 INT's.  Last year in Houston he completed 63 % of his throws, had nearly 8.0 yards per attempt, 17 TD's and 8 INT's.

Compared to Geno those numbers are downright Breesian.

Because while his room for error is drastically reduced, I think the new coaching staff will view him as someone with more upside than Fitzpatrick.  He's a better athlete than Fitzy with a more lively arm.  Any coach worth his weight in salt thinks they can get the most out of a player and I'd imagine Chan is no different.  The leash is short but he will get 1 more chance.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry if Foles is a lot younger and has more upside. Sorry that Foles has a better feel for the pocket and is a better decision maker. Sorry.

Better feel for the pocket? LOL I encourage you to watch some Eagles games. His feel for the pocket is that he has concrete shoes. He is wincing for  shot, seconds before it gets there. Decisions? He had as many turnovers as Sanchez last year in the same offense and same number of games.

Because while his room for error is drastically reduced, I think the new coaching staff will view him as someone with more upside than Fitzpatrick.  He's a better athlete than Fitzy with a more lively arm.  Any coach worth his weight in salt thinks they can get the most out of a player and I'd imagine Chan is no different.  The leash is short but he will get 1 more chance.

I think this regime wants to start whichever QB gives them the best chance to win right now.  The Marshall and Revis pickups are NOT the mark of a rebuilding team.  Gone are the days when you give QB's infinite chances to prove themselves.  If he couldn't get it done last year with Decker and Harvin, and subsequently his poor play was a major reason both the GM and HC were fired, he won't be effective in 2015 either.

Geno will not be handed the job by any stretch of the imagination.

What would you do to fix our QB problem. You need to sign a Veteran and cant say we WILL get this guy in the draft seeing as no one in the draft is a guarantee.

I wouldnt trade for Fitzpatrick, thats for sure.  I'd hope for Mariota or ride or die with Geno and a draft pick later in the draft if they cant land Mariota.

Again, Chan is supposedly able to make his system work with anyone.  Why trade for a guy who does nothing for your team?  At least with Geno, there is 1% chance he doesnt suck.  Fitzpatrick we know is 100% terrible. 

On what planet would Fitzpatrick not beat out Geno for the starting job?  In 2012, his last season under Chan Gailey, Fitzpatrick completed 61 % of his throws for 3,400 yards, 24 TD's and 16 INT's.  Last year in Houston he completed 63 % of his throws, had nearly 8.0 yards per attempt, 17 TD's and 8 INT's.

None of that is impressive. 

Yes, Cro makes the Jets better.  You're right, however, that price-tag matters.  If the Cowboys or Cardinals want to out-bid us for his services and hand him $7M per season, let them do it.  But if he can be had for a number closer to the $3.5M AZ paid him last year, you absolutely get him on a 2-year deal.  Our cap situation is looking great for the next 3 years, so I'm not worried about tying up money anywhere right now.  Spend where we see fit.

I dont see Cro making them that much better.  He certainly isnt the type of player that you sign and feel like you've add wins next season.  Sure, if he wants chump change, than why not...but I dont think he will.  He's got mouths to feed, a lot of them in fact. 

I wouldnt trade for Fitzpatrick, thats for sure. I'd hope for Mariota or ride or die with Geno and a draft pick later in the draft if they cant land Mariota. Again, Chan is supposedly able to make his system work with anyone. Why trade for a guy who does nothing for your team? At least with Geno, there is 1% chance he doesnt suck. Fitzpatrick we know is 100% terrible.

He gives stability as a backup with the potential of being a temporary starter. The guy would be a steal for a 7th round pick with a 3.25m 1 year contract with or without Gaily as our OC. You don't have to love the guy, but simply put he does make our team better (yes our QB position is that bad).

Cool.  Does Cro really make the Jets better?  Thats going to be a ton of money tied up in the secondary with your most valuable pieces on the team looking for new deals soon.

Fitz is garbage and its embarrassing that the fanbase is gushing for him.  Cro is just not necessary signing.  period. 

How is Cro not a necessary signing?  Bowles likes to use 6db sets a lot!  Milliner can't be counted on and our coach has already said that much.  If Milliner and Mcdougle bounce back and have decent years then we can offload Cro earlier than expected.

We have 3 yrs to sign Richardson, We have the money to extend Wilk this year if we want.  Besides that we haven't drafted any star level talent in recent years.  We actually don't have any one major to re-sign in the next 2 yrs besides Wilk.

I can't believe some people are complaining about the moves.  We weakened a division rival and overnight placed a major facelift on our most important area of need.

Fitz isn't the second coming of Brady.  We all know this, but he is the best of whats currently available.  We can only work with what is there. I'm still good with trading back #6 if its possible for future picks next year and make a shot at a qb next yr if there is something there. Fitz gives us a stabilizer "hold the fort" type guy while we continue to look for our future QB.  Could be Mariota, could be somebody next year.

When was the last time we had a QB complete 60% with more TD's the INTs?

Get Fitz, let him hold the fort.  At least he shouldn't just throw games away.  If Marriota falls, you can draft him and let him sit for a year or 2.

His stats are bloated because of one insane game that he'll never duplicate ever again.  Outside of the game, he was his typically sh*tty self. 

Yeah maybe we should just trade that 7th for Brees.  I hear he's available.

His stats are bloated because of one insane game that he'll never duplicate ever again.  Outside of the game, he was his typically sh*tty self. 

Imagine how bloated those stats will get when throwing to Marshall, Decker, Amaro, and whoever else we get.  And you can't just shrug off a 6-TD performance, even in today's NFL.  Not once has Geno Smith proven he could ever have a game like that. 

No one is saying he's anything more than a below average QB.  After all, Foles once had a 7-TD game too.  But below average is a lot better than Geno Smith.

What QB would YOU like to bring in?  Or are you just content with Geno 4eva?

Ride or die with Geno?  Well there is your answer.  It's mind blowing that some people on here would rather have Geno freaking smith as the starter with no alternative at all than have a vet who is not the long term answer around for a few years until we can find a more promising guy.

Ride or die with Geno.  Good one.

Yeah maybe we should just trade that 7th for Brees.  I hear he's available.

Seriously.

I like when people say, "just get a QB!"  Because they are all just laying around, unemployed.

We haven't had an average QB in years.  If Fitz can come in and be ranked top 20 in QBR, or any other real stat, it's such an upgrade it's rediculous.  Draft a pass rusher at 6 who isn't a Gholston and the D should be pretty good.  Throw in an average offense, and it's a credible team that is playing meaningful games into late November (better than last  year when we were done in October)

He gives stability as a backup with the potential of being a temporary starter. The guy would be a steal for a 7th round pick with a 3.25m 1 year contract with or without Gaily as our OC. You don't have to love the guy, but simply put he does make our team better (yes our QB position is that bad).

Under the great Chan Gailey, Ryan Fitzpatrick was 16-29.  He's 33-55-1 for his career.  The dude is terrible.  Stats are cool but when you cant win games, why bother?

Ship the seventh to Houston for Fitz, draft Hundley, trade Geno to Philly for a bag of balls.

0 for 3.

Giving up any picks for Fitzpatrick is ridiculous

Hundley is going to be terrible

Why trade our only qb with any upside.

but props for the johnny Johnson pic, so random, forgot all about that guy

When was the last time we had a QB complete 60% with more TD's the INTs?

Get Fitz, let him hold the fort.  At least he shouldn't just throw games away.  If Marriota falls, you can draft him and let him sit for a year or 2.

Chad Pennington over 9 games in 2007 and 16 games in 2006.

Turnovers....that's what kills a defensive team. Fitzpatrick would lower our turnover ratio and give us a better chance to win games.

If he's going to be cut now that Hoyer is there, is his current salary of such value that it's really worth giving up any sort of draft pick to sign a guy that's going to be cut?

It is if there are other suitors out there.  If three teams decide they want to get in on the bidding then you have no guarantee of getting him and it will cost you more.  a late round pick is worth that.

Fitzpatrick, since 2010 (first year with Chan Gailey...played with him as HC through 2012):

2010:  27th DVOA

2011:  26th

2012:  23rd

2013:  20th

2014:  13th

Geno:

2013:  40th

2014:  31st

Even at his worst, Fitzpatrick is better than Geno at his best.  If you want to throw Geno out there and pray that he finds a way to improve, ok, fine.  I could handle that.  But when he fails we'll have a better QB waiting in the wings for the low price of a 7th rounder.  I'll take it.

If he's going to be cut now that Hoyer is there, is his current salary of such value that it's really worth giving up any sort of draft pick to sign a guy that's going to be cut?

This is what bothers me. Houston is clearly going to cut him and how many other opportunities to start are out there? Like what team is as bad at QB as us that this wouldn't be an attractive destination for him.

0 for 3.

Giving up any picks for Fitzpatrick is ridiculous

Hundley is going to be terrible

Why trade our only qb with any upside.

but props for the johnny Johnson pic, so random, forgot all about that guy

You are 1 for 3 so that aint' bad.  Hundley is not going to be good.

giving up a 7th rounder to be sure to get the guy with his current contract is worth it.

Geno's upside is about as much as hundleys, not much.

Under the great Chan Gailey, Ryan Fitzpatrick was 16-29.  He's 33-55-1 for his career.  The dude is terrible.  Stats are cool but when you cant win games, why bother?

It's Buffalo.  You know, the place where no one wins, that had their most recent HC opt out, and then hired another coach with a losing record, Rex Ryan.

The last 2 years Matt Ryan is 10-22.  That dude must be terrible too.  Let see if we can trade for him.

Imagine how bloated those stats will get when throwing to Marshall, Decker, Amaro, and whoever else we get.  And you can't just shrug off a 6-TD performance, even in today's NFL.  Not once has Geno Smith proven he could ever have a game like that. 

No one is saying he's anything more than a below average QB.  After all, Foles once had a 7-TD game too.  But below average is a lot better than Geno Smith.

What QB would YOU like to bring in?  Or are you just content with Geno 4eva?

Look at his numbers beside that ridiculous game.  He was terrible.  Geno had a perfect game last year too against a 100x better defense.  

Everyone is freaking out about this 6 TD game, its literally been done 30 times in the NFL. 

I've already said, I'd be targeting Mariota at this point.  If not Mariota, than maybe a Hundley in the 3rd or something along those lines.  Certianly not trade for a career loser.

What does Fitz do for the team?  He's a loser.  So he comes in and wins 7 games.  WTF good does that do?  I'd rather win 4 with Geno.

Gotta call it like it is...W-L record had plenty to do with horrific Buffalo defense.  Offense was just fine.

What does Fitz do for the team?  He's a loser.  So he comes in and wins 7 games.  WTF good does that do?  I'd rather win 4 with Geno.

I'd rather have an offense that's not an embarrassment for the first time since Week 12 of the 2008 season.  Fitzpatrick can do that for us. 

Archived