Free Agency Twitter Updates

DaBallhawk

Wouldn't put any stock into Pro Day performances. I mean the guys are nervous, he knows that every single thing can cost him millions, every little mistake or bad throw. And on top of that this is not football, this isn't what he's used to, those aren't game type situations. It's so easy that people make mistakes there, things seem too easy. No pass rush, nobody in coverage, nothing. It's just so far off from what he sees every day, every snap. There's like years of game footage, that will tell you a lot more than this crap will tell you. You don't judge a boxer by stuying how he hits the heavy bag either, you have to see him fight. Those are 2 seperate things. I remember Cam Newton looked like crap (was that him?) during his pro day. A lot of other busts that looked tremendous/perfect during their pro day (Bradword, Quinn etc.). Who cares.

I still don't want Mariota. For the record. :D

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was the highest paid free agent, and would have been regardless of which team he went to, so it's very relevant.  But feel free not to delve any deeper into what I'm saying.  It's not really my concern if you aren't comprehending why players are getting paid heavily this offseason.

We blew most of our salary cap load and we are still not SB contenders. Everything else is meaningless.

Bridgewater is a better thrower.   Just saw a terrible pass into the endzone with no rush and he threw behind the receiver. He chose the receivers for these drills.  I am dissapointed,  as I was high on Marcus.  Hate to say it Shameless Jameis is the better prospect at the moment.

Mariotta probably depressed after learning about Kelly not wanting him.  Wasn't he like a second father figure to him or something? lol.  

I don't think we're setting ourselves up for a draft pick with a QB at 6 right now.  We seem set on picking a LB at 6 with the hole we left there, and going nuts around the LB to make the transition that much easier.   

With every move we seem to be making, does Idzik get demoted in Jacksonville?  Think Caldwell walks up to Idzik while he's about to prep some slideshow on why they need to stick with the plan and not sign people and goes "You know what we could use?  Some Manhattan Clam Chowder.  Yeah, have to go to NY, but here's the keys!  Have fun"

I thought Gilbert looked pretty good the times I saw him last year.  Hey they have two 1st rounders again this year.

I know, was more tongue in cheek. Both guys can still turn it around but so far they're closer to being busts. Gilbert sort of goes the same route Dee went before he got hurt, I think he'll be fine in a year or two. Manziel is a different story, I have no hope for that guy. The next Tebow.

Didn't Jamarcus Russel have like the greatest pro day ever?  I think Geno Smith did as well (I remember touting his pro day after we drafted him, lol) so I wouldn't worry too much about these.  If we're interested in him, we'll bring him in a for a private workout and see how he does then.  

Me likey! The man with a plan, albeit very good groundwork cap wise by Idzik.. :)

Two things though, do all men in the US wear baggy pants and why haven't I read anything about Kevin Patullo?

Would appreciate a quick update on that guy.

are you upset? would you rather men wear tight pants? do you like the sausage?

Wouldn't put any stock into Pro Day performances. I mean the guys are nervous, he knows that every single thing can cost him millions, every little mistake or bad throw. And on top of that this is not football, this isn't what he's used to, those aren't game type situations. It's so easy that people make mistakes there, things seem too easy. No pass rush, nobody in coverage, nothing. It's just so far off from what he sees every day, every snap. There's like years of game footage, that will tell you a lot more than this crap will tell you. You don't judge a boxer by stuying how he hits the heavy bag either, you have to see him fight. Those are 2 seperate things. I remember Cam Newton looked like crap (was that him?) during his pro day. A lot of other busts that looked tremendous/perfect during their pro day (Bradword, Quinn etc.). Who cares.

I still don't want Mariota. For the record. :D

He confirmed everything that was apparent during games, though. Puny arm.

These are easy throws.  No DB's , no rush.  This should be a cake walk for a guy that can throw the football.  The ball is not popping off his hand/  He looks to be targeting instead of throwing to a spot.  He is a great athlete.  He does not look comfortable on his drops as every throw was from under center.  His ball fakes and shoulder fakes look terrible.  He may be great but he is more than 1 year away.

Cecil Shorts would be interesting, but I'm not sure I want to invest in him because he's not a burner either, and we need speed on the offensive side now.  And getting Shorts would also mean that we'll be out from picking a WR in the first three rounds since we'd have Decker/Marshall/Shorts/Kerley all under contract, and Evans/Enunwa/Graham/Owusu fighting for the last two spots.  I'd rather we go after a speed guy like Dorsett/Smith/Lockett in the draft because that would compliment our WRs right now.   This is also why signing Kerley was a bad idea, because then Shorts makes sense as his replacement.  

These are easy throws. No DB's , no rush. This should be a cake walk for a guy that can throw the football. The ball is not popping off his hand/ He looks to be targeting instead of throwing to a spot. He is a great athlete. He does not look comfortable on his drops as every throw was from under center. His ball fakes and shoulder fakes look terrible. He may be great but he is more than 1 year away.

My opinion is that the "flaws" in his game really don't matter. There are busts at ALL positions in the top 10. The bust factor is the same for a WR, as it is for a CB, as it is for an OLB, as it is for a QB.

Marcus Mariota clearly has enough potential and the desire and attitude to reach his ceiling, whatever that may be. A QB starved franchise cannot pass on a player like that.

Mariota's floor is better than most because of his athleticism and that he will be the 1st one in the building and the last to leave.

RB's are a strange lot but I never thought richardson would be as bad has he has been.  Pretty much a total bust which is surprising.

Worse than Blair Thomas.  At least Cleveland recovered a first round pick, although much lower.  

Archived