Free Agency Twitter Updates

DaBallhawk

My opinion is that the "flaws" in his game really don't matter. There are busts at ALL positions in the top 10. The bust factor is the same for a WR, as it is for a CB, as it is for an OLB, as it is for a QB.

Marcus Mariota clearly has enough potential and the desire and attitude to reach his ceiling, whatever that may be. A QB starved franchise cannot pass on a player like that.

Mariota's floor is better than most because of his athleticism and that he will be the 1st one in the building and the last to leave.

I agree you draft him and you sit him for a year. Although wth all the FAs they're signing I'm starting to go in that, maybe they can really win now with a DROY edge rusher.

Come again?

Show me one Andrew Luck/Calvin Johnson 100% SURE thing in this draft?

You can't.

They all have flaws. Marcus Mariota has enough football potential and good characteristics for a QB that the Jets cannot pass on him at #6 for any other player. Thus his flaws do not matter.

Maybe...maybe trade down.

Show me one Andrew Luck/Calvin Johnson 100% SURE thing in this draft?

You can't.

They all have flaws. Marcus Mariota has enough football potential and good characteristics that the Jets cannot pass on him at #6 for any other player.

Maybe...maybe trade down.

He can't throw the football.

What the heck are you talking about? Are we suppose to prepare for a scenario that won't ever happen in a million years?

Exactly.  Set up an absurd hypothetical to continue to criticize the moves the regime is making.  Guaranteed if the jets saved $20+ million in cap space for such a far fetched hypothetical, the complaints would pour in that they are not spending/investing.  And when they do spend the comments come in that they are not saving enough cap space for absurd fantastical situations that will not happen.  and all this from th same poster.

The agenda is quite transparent.

• Upvote 1

He can't throw the football.

That is an exaggeration and you know it. There are question marks about his arm and accuracy, agreed.

Cutler and Stafford have cannons... where does that get them? They are both entitled and lazy. Cutler is a far bigger jerk, of course.

Mariota is not lazy, but rather driven and motivated. Mariota also will not be careless with the football like throwing into triple coverage.

The acquisition of Fitzpatrick is the rationale behind taking Mariota at 6.

Marcus is plenty talented enough and has the raw materials and intangibles required to be a success in the NFL.  

Fitz can start for a year, or two whilst our coaching staff can work on developing Mariota. If they can. If they can't then we are screwed anyway. At some point in time, we need to have the coaching personnel in place to nurture and develop a young NFL QB. It is something we have failed to do now for over a decade.  

The acquisition of Fitzpatrick is the rationale behind taking Mariota at 6.

Marcus is plenty talented enough and has the raw materials and intangibles required to be a success in the NFL.  

Fitz can start for a year, or two whilst our coaching staff can work on developing Mariota. If they can. If they can't then we are screwed anyway. At some point in time, we need to have the coaching personnel in place to nurture and develop a young NFL QB. It is something we have failed to do now for over a decade.

or he's better than Geno.

are you upset? would you rather men wear tight pants? do you like the sausage?

Ha! Fair enough I guess. For the record, yes to pants and no to the sausage. In Europe we have another style I suppose. Each man is his own and all that...

You're probably not interested but another difference is that we don´t think a guy is gay just because he cares about his appearance. 

So anything to say about the QB coach?

That is an exaggeration and you know it. There are question marks about his arm and accuracy, agreed.

Cutler and Stafford have cannons... where does that get them? They are both entitled and lazy. Cutler is a far bigger jerk, of course.

Mariota is not lazy, but rather driven and motivated. Mariota also will not be careless with the football like throwing into triple coverage.

Have you even watched an oregon game? Or do you just look at his numbers and watch his youtube highlights?

Of course Mariota isn't the only guy working out. But you honestly think arguably the best franchise in football sends their GM to a Pro Day to scout some special teamer? It has to be somebody they really covet. Maybe a key player they want late in the 1st or in the 2nd round but it's just odd that they'd be there and virtually nobody else outside of the top 5.

As for the Jaguars, Bortles looked like crap. They're not gonna give up on him just yet obviously but you still have to do your job. The Buccs won't pick Mariota but they're still there.

Here you go, Seattle is really thin on the o-line now. Could be looking at this kid.

Depending on the price, I would take a shot at him.  He has potential, played very well in his rookie year, has speed, and can be a demon out of the slot.   He looked much more promising when teams didn't focus on him, with Jennings there.  Last year, he was the defacto No. 1, but over here could be the No. 3 guy.  But depends on the price obviously.  I think Tennessee ran a spread system in college as well with Bray, so might be easier for him as well.  

Plug it in. Anyone on a non rookie contract. Who would it be able to get ?

So you fully admit here you have no f*cking clue what you're trying to argue.

Let's not sign good players so we can save money to sign hypothetical good players (even though we HAVE to spend up to 89 % of the cap).  Sound strategy!  There's a reason the best players get signed early in free agency.  Because they're usually the best players available.  No one is coming loose that is worth a damn, especially not at the QB position.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

I'd understand the value of those signings a lot more than Shorts, though. Especially with Stevie Johnson floating around.

I don't understand the point.  Johnson is a possession WR and Shorts is generally considered very good after the catch which is a key to Gailey's offense.  Shorts has led that crappy ass team for 3 years and seemed primed for a breakout until Blackmon fell off the wagon and left him the sole option.  I think he fits in nicely with Decker and Marshall.  Better than Stevie Johnson does.  More importantly he might come a decent amount cheaper.  Johnson was set to get $6M this year and refused a cut.  Shorts has never made much.   Hard to guess his value.

• Upvote 1

I don't understand the point.  Johnson is a possession WR and Shorts is generally considered very good after the catch which is a key to Gailey's offense.  Shorts has led that crappy ass team for 3 years and seemed primed for a breakout until Blackmon fell off the wagon and left him the sole option.  I think he fits in nicely with Decker and Marshall.  Better than Stevie Johnson does.  More importantly he might come a decent amount cheaper.  Johnson was set to get $6M this year and refused a cut.  Shorts has never made much.   Hard to guess his value.

Jacksonville had $900 mil under the cap and didn't even try to keep him. I think you guys are out of your gourd.

Let's say the best of the best QB's was suddenly available in FA. We do not have the salary cap left to sign him. Period.

that's bs.. you extend guys and convert salary to signing bonus lowering thier cap figure this year.. do the same with the QB.. it's 100% doable

Always liked CSIII, but never as a #1 option.  You're spot on, the guy looked like great as a second option before Blackmon decided to go all Johnny Football on jacksonville.  He won't turn 28 until December and would actually be a nice middle-tier signing.  I'm probably higher on Shaq Evans than most, but expecting anything out of him Enunwa, Owosu et al is not something I want to be doing. I'd rather plan for the worst and hope for the best, as opposed to the Idzik model, where they seemed to be somewhat equal. 

• Upvote 1

Depending on the price, I would take a shot at him.  He has potential, played very well in his rookie year, has speed, and can be a demon out of the slot.   He looked much more promising when teams didn't focus on him, with Jennings there.  Last year, he was the defacto No. 1, but over here could be the No. 3 guy.  But depends on the price obviously.  I think Tennessee ran a spread system in college as well with Bray, so might be easier for him as well.  

Yes, please. He can play the role Harvin would have played. KR and big play threat on screens. Plus, he's still young enough to perhaps put it together and be a legit NFL WR, though I'm not holding my breath.