Free Agency Twitter Updates

DaBallhawk

Mentioned in the other thread, not only is the Jets secondary talent and depth incredible, but I wonder if Mac and Bowles had an eye on the future about the possibility of the NFL rosters being expanded to 55 players?  Add the fact that this year's draft class is considered weak at the DB position, the plan Mac has been executing makes even that much more sense.

Just an incredible job and incredible insight displayed in the first week of FA

And to think this board was in meltdown mode because we didn't do anything before FA started.  LOLOLOL

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With today's Pass happy NFL bias & officiating, deploying 5 DBs may be the new base defense. If this is the case tweeners- like Antonio Allen- or lumbering safeties like Jarrett have more utility to be able to run with a 4th WR or be big & STRONG enough to take on the AFCEast new infusion of talented BiG TEs for 2015

Exactly. Also, watch more teams use two tight ends who can catch the ball as part of their 5-receiver packages. I think the Jets are ahead of the curve, and set up perfectly to match up against this.

I am just sick of not having a team that can contend. And i just saw the new GM pretty much blow the entire salary cap away and still not have a team close to a contender. Its what 40 plus years and still waiting. Very frustrating.

Your premise that we don't have a team "close" to being a contender is not even "close" to one that is proven.  It is March.  The draft isn't even really close to happening yet, and you're already writing off the 2015 season. 

We've already improved on both sides of the ball this free agency period.  We've gotten better at QB, WR, OG, CB and S.  We're already pretty solid at DL and our needs (of which several could be fixed with our early draft picks) have been reduced to edge rusher, an athletic LB or 2, upgrading at OT, a 3rd down RB and, of course, the elusive franchise QB, which everyone but a handful of teams are chasing.  Just because there's no franchise QB just waiting to be plucked out there doesn't mean you don't work as hard as possible to improve the rest of your roster.  Your negativity is simply astounding. 

lmao. i care about my appearance. personally i absolutely hate tight pants. they are completely uncomfortable. that said, there are alot of people who wear tight jeans. they call them skinny jeans, i call them nut-huggers. i think they are fairly popular among younger kids. loose fit pants look better and are far more comfortable

Younger kids, you're not that old. :) anyway, I get your point! Maybe a topic for another forum.. What about the QB coach?? Who's that guy? Haven't read anything about him at all.

MM stunk yesterday and I am on board with the conspiracy theory. kelly is in the background pulling strings and laying the foundation for a trade.

Looks more and more like we're gonna go pass rusher in the draft. But it remains to be seen when we'll make that pick. I'd trade down to the middle of the 1st round, draft one of the pass rushers available and then go get another starter with that extra pick in round 2.

Ahhh so now you atleast admitting we overpaid somebody. Baby steps. I know. Not that it makes any difference to me. But that's the oldest trick to justify a bad purchase. Try to compare it other people's bad purchases. I do not think Maclin is worth 11 mill for having just one 1000 plus yard season in his career.

I am just sick of not having a team that can contend. And i just saw the new GM pretty much blow the entire salary cap away and still not have a team close to a contender. Its what 40 plus years and still waiting. Very frustrating.

Also, THIS thread is why we make moves like we have:

Rumors abound again tonight. Allegedly, Brees is pissed over all the defections, but the Saints have made Brees and Brandin Cooks untouchable while putting everyone else up for sale. The assumption is that Brees can shoot his way out of town if he really wants.

As it relates to the Jets, they can always add two years onto Brees' contract, dispersing the cap hit.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=12434113&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F%22%7D

The case for trading Drew Brees

Aaron Schatz [ARCHIVE]

Football Outsiders | March 7, 2015

Drew Brees

Gregory Shamus/Getty Images

Drew Brees' time as a top-level NFL quarterback is running out.

This is not going to be a good offseason for the New Orleans Saints. The Saints have signed a number of big contracts in recent years, trying to return to the Super Bowl, and those moves have not worked out. Now it's time to pay the salary-cap piper.

Even after this week's moves to cut Pierre Thomas and restructure Jairus Byrd's contract, and taking into account the news reports that Marques Colston and Brodrick Bunkley have restructured or are in the process of restructuring their contracts, the Saints are still over the 2015 cap. They could save that money with other contract restructures (or cuts), but that would just do more to push dead money onto their cap in future years. The nature of the NFL is such that teams can always find a way to get under the cap, but each year, it will become more difficult to add new talent to the Saints roster. At some point, the whole thing will need to be blown up.

Why not just do it now?

We're used to the idea of "tanking" in other sports. The Philadelphia 76ers have amassed a roster filled with young but undeveloped talent, not to mention more second-round picks than there are stalls at Reading Terminal Market. The Houston Astros have spent the last couple of years trading nearly all of their veterans for young prospects. The Saints are in a unique position to try an experiment, and to see if such a strategy might work in the National Football League.

How could the Saints do this? By trading away Drew Brees.

By making all the moves we've made this offseason, we might just be an attractive destination for a Super Bowl-winning QB to want to come here.  This is the magic QB you wish we could get, and we still could if the Saints put him on the block.  He wouldn't want to come here at all if we just sat on our pile of cash.

Yes, our cap situation will be tight if we made this trade.  But we'd find a way.  And all of a sudden we're an insta-contender for 2015.

So it's Day 4 now and we're pretty much set. Hooray for Macc & Bowles, they've handled free agency absolutely perfect!

Some updates on our free agents:

- NT Kenrick Ellis is still talking to a handful of teams, I think he's a goner.

- SS Dawan Landry generated ZERO interest. Shows you how weak our roster was, that he was one of our "core guys" last year...

- CB Kyle Wilson generated ZERO interest. See above.

Some of the better FA's available that we could use:

- RB Jacquizz Rodgers (3rd down back)

- WR Kenny Stills (Deep Threat, being shopped by NO)

- WR Cecil Shorts III (we were linked to him yesterday)

- WR Denarius Moore (Deep threat)

- A blocking TE?

- DE Greg Hardy

- DE Michael Johnson

- DE Leger Douzable (doesn't sound like Bowles wants him back)

- DT Chris Canty (was linked to us)

- OLB Lance Briggs (perfect fit...too old/expensive)

I think all the holes we have can be EASILY filled via draft picks. I really love how Macc & Bowles have built this team up again in just a couple of days.

So it's Day 4 now and we're pretty much set. Hooray for Macc & Bowles, they've handled free agency absolutely perfect!

Some updates on our free agents:

- NT Kenrick Ellis is still talking to a handful of teams, I think he's a goner.

- SS Dawan Landry generated ZERO interest. Shows you how weak our roster was, that he was one of our "core guys" last year...

- CB Kyle Wilson generated ZERO interest. See above.

Some of the better FA's available that we could use:

- RB Jacquizz Rodgers (3rd down back)

- WR Kenny Stills (Deep Threat, being shopped by NO)

- WR Cecil Shorts III (we were linked to him yesterday)

- WR Denarius Moore (Deep threat)

- A blocking TE?

- DE Greg Hardy

- DE Michael Johnson

- DE Leger Douzable (doesn't sound like Bowles wants him back)

- DT Chris Canty (was linked to us)

- OLB Lance Briggs (perfect fit...too old/expensive)

I think all the holes we have can be EASILY filled via draft picks. I really love how Macc & Bowles have built this team up again in just a couple of days.

Hawk.....did Sam Acho sign anywhere yet?

Hawk.....did Sam Acho sign anywhere yet?

He's still available! I think we should pick him up, he knows Bowles' system and can play multiple positions. At the very least he would add some competition / depth to our front 7. I actually would rather have him over Pace...

Culiver just signed with Washington and I'm curious to see the numbers. My original plan was Maxwell and Culiver but in noooo way complaining now.

Same amount of money as Cro. Personally, I would of went Culliver over Cro in this situation. I really like Culliver's age in this situation (26).

So what's left for the draft? OLB/Pass Rusher, RB, QB, blocking TE.

This draft will be interesting, especially if we trade down.

We need a true BPA draft, unlike the 2014 need-grab that Idzik had last year, where we sacrificed quality for quantity.

We're allowed to enter 2015 with some holes, but as long as we grab an impact player or 2 in the '15 draft (with the rest being developmental-types) we should be pretty damn good.

Archived