Free Agency Twitter Updates

DaBallhawk

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@AdamSchefter 23s23 seconds ago

Saints are giving RB C.J. Spiller a 4-year, $18 million deal that includes $9 million guaranteed, per source. Last year of deal can void.

LOL WUT

Nobody throws/checks down to running backs more than Drew Brees, it's actually a pretty decent move for them. I think people are going to be surprised at how good the Saints' offense will be, even after jettisoning Graham and Stills.

Nobody throws/checks down to running backs more than Drew Brees, it's actually a pretty decent move for them. I think people are going to be surprised at how good the Saints' offense will be, even after jettisoning Graham and Stills.

It seems like a great fit but the years and money seemed odd to me.

I'm going to assume Patterson will get cut by the Vikings. There were rumors he couldn't grasp the offense.

I don't think they'll cut him because he's still on his rookie deal, and they can have him relatively cheap for the next three years (with the 5th year option if they choose to) so there is no point in cutting him.  Whoever they can find as a replacement at that money won't have the upside of Patterson.   I think they'll try to trade him soon to some team willing to give up a mid round pick for him.  If we had a 5th, I would've given it up for Patterson, because he has monster potential out of the slot, but is nowhere near refined enough to be No. 1 or 2 WR.  Essentially a cheaper Harvin.  

I think the Raiders make a play on him.  

Agreed, really like Spiller with Brees.

I don't think they'll cut him because he's still on his rookie deal, and they can have him relatively cheap for the next three years (with the 5th year option if they choose to) so there is no point in cutting him.  Whoever they can find as a replacement at that money won't have the upside of Patterson.   I think they'll try to trade him soon to some team willing to give up a mid round pick for him.  If we had a 5th, I would've given it up for Patterson, because he has monster potential out of the slot, but is nowhere near refined enough to be No. 1 or 2 WR.  Essentially a cheaper Harvin.  

How about our 4th that we retained by cutting Harvin?   I would do it if it were me.

How about our 4th that we retained by cutting Harvin?   I would do it if it were me.

I would probably still do it, just because of the upside.  Although I don't really like going into the draft with basically just three choices.  Maybe a 4th, and they swing back their 6th or something similar.  

No point in cutting him? Like there was no point in us cutting Stephen Hill? Patterson has shown absolutely nothing so far except for his ability to return kicks. He's a Salim Hakim with more upside, that's about it. As a receiver he's absolutely useless. He can't get open, he can't run routes, he doesn't even understand the offense he plays in, his hands are awful, he's constantly being outproduced by a bunch of nobodies. At some point you want to move on from a bust like that, to send a message, to get a fresh start. Him and Harvin don't have anything in common except that they're both not good enough to be outside receivers. The only thing they might have in common is their ability to catch the ball out of the backfield but they're different players. Harvin is explosive, dangerous in space, has great hands. Patterson is a bit bigger and maybe a tad faster, but he's a long strider who needs a lot of space to get going. Another Troy Williamson.

And with that we go to the Vikings with their next move...

Slowly building around Teddy. You plug AP in there and suddenly you have a somewhat decent offense on paper. Of course, without AP it's dreadful again...

No point in cutting him? Like there was no point in us cutting Stephen Hill? Patterson has shown absolutely nothing so far except for his ability to return kicks. He's a Salim Hakim with more upside, that's about it. As a receiver he's absolutely useless. He can't get open, he can't run routes, he doesn't even understand the offense he plays in, his hands are awful, he's constantly being outproduced by a bunch of nobodies. At some point you want to move on from a bust like that, to send a message, to get a fresh start. Him and Harvin don't have anything in common except that they're both not good enough to be outside receivers. The only thing they might have in common is their ability to catch the ball out of the backfield but they're different players. Harvin is explosive, dangerous in space, has great hands. Patterson is a bit bigger and maybe a tad faster, but he's a long strider who needs a lot of space to get going. Another Troy Williamson.

And with that we go to the Vikings with their next move...

Slowly building around Teddy. You plug AP in there and suddenly you have a somewhat decent offense on paper. Of course, without AP it's dreadful again...

Patterson had  much higher draft grade than Hill, and his rookie year, he basically outproduced Hill in his entire career so far.   More catches, more TDs, and a 100 less yards catching.  But he also added 3 TDs rushing, and a 150 on the ground as well.  Even if he doesn't run good routes, at his price (with a cap hit of 2 million) he's worth it just for his kick returns.  Hill didn't play any special teams which further devalued him, but this guy is actually a dynamic return guy.  A year ago, pretty much everyone in the league thought this guy was a sure fire breakout candidate in the Norv Turner offense.  

Him and Harvin are both great in space, but Harvin played in a better system at Florida, so his transition to the game is easier with routes, and he was more explosive on underneath routes.  Patterson faces the same issue that Harvin faced then though, and still faces.  Neither can run routes effectively enough against No. 1 WRs to take advantage of their speed.  Both of them function at their best in the slot where they can matchup against lesser corners or LBs and just beat them with their abilities, than a man coverage situation.  

I think trading him sends the same message as dropping him.  The GM also is the one that spent a first round pick on the guy, so I doubt he's just going to drop him for nothing, when I'm sure atleast some team out there will give him a mid round pick for the guy.   

Patterson is a long strider, he just is a different type of player/athlete. If you want to compare him I guess Ted Ginn would be the guy.

And I wasn't saying they should just flat out cut him. But if they can't find anybody to trade for him then he should be cut immediately, that's all. And the odds of anybody being willing to give up anything for him are slim to none in my opinion. There is absolutely no point in keeping him around. He doesn't understand the offense, he can't catch, he can't run routes, he doesn't have a role on offense, he's not gonna be productive with all the guys they have in front of him on the depth chart. His value is gonna take another hit this year, it's not gonna go up. So get rid of him. A mistake doesn't get corrected by not admitting it wasn't a mistake. Cut him loose, move on.

I'm going to agree with you. Rex, Harvin and the Bills Vs Rexs former team and his former secondary.

mac set bowles up nicely with fillet mignot.idzik set his guy up with the soup kitchen. love him or hate him, like him or not, rex has got to be like,WTF?? makes for a great story line in the nfl's mind. gotta be the week 1 matchup

I would probably still do it, just because of the upside.  Although I don't really like going into the draft with basically just three choices.  Maybe a 4th, and they swing back their 6th or something similar.  

I feel the same way, but coming out of the draft with Marshall and Patterson( who was a number one pick just a couple of years ago) would be a pretty good addition to any draft class.

It's more than likely not happening of course, but I would be very happy if it did.  Decker, Marshall, Kerley, Patterson, Amaro with Ivory in the backfield is a formidable offense. Throw in Salas or whoever as well.

not too shabby.

Did you watch him play last year? Falling apart.

Watch him play, don't just look at his numbers. I didn't say he sucks, I said he looks like he's close to falling apart. Physically, in case you didn't get it. The guy can barely walk, he looks like a mess. He can't take too many more hits. Why hand him 100 mil. if he's done next year or in 2 years. That's all. He's had a great career but he's not worth 100 mil. NOW. In fact in his prime at age 25 or so he barely would be worth that kind of dough.

Watch him play, don't just look at his numbers. I didn't say he sucks, I said he looks like he's close to falling apart. Physically, in case you didn't get it. The guy can barely walk, he looks like a mess. He can't take too many more hits. Why hand him 100 mil. if he's done next year or in 2 years. That's all. He's had a great career but he's not worth 100 mil. NOW. In fact in his prime at age 25 or so he barely would be worth that kind of dough.

lol, okay

Not at all. I want this guy had. Richardson - Harrison - Wilk - Hardy will be ridiculous.

If we got Hardy we could trade our #6 to the browns for their 2 first rounders grab Scherff and Melvin Gordon if hes there. Game over

Spiller/Ingram is a rock solid RB tandem and a potent 1-2 punch.  Except they are both injury prone.  

Am I the only one who thinks we should make a run at Greg Hardy and try and sign him for cheap? 

I usually don't make off-the-field issues all that important in deciding who to play, but in Hardy's case I would.  What he did was so dreadful and so malicious, I don't want this bastard anywhere near the young players on my team.  An emphatic NO to Hardy, no matter how good he is on the field.  Anyone who hasn't read the testimony from the trial really should before even considering this assshole.  Sorry, but Hardy crosses the "horrible human being" line and instead of the Jets he should be in prison. 

I usually don't make off-the-field issues all that important in deciding who to play, but in Hardy's case I would. What he did was so dreadful and so malicious, I don't want this bastard anywhere near the young players on my team. An emphatic NO to Hardy, no matter how good he is on the field. Anyone who hasn't read the testimony from the trial really should before even considering this assshole. Sorry, but Hardy crosses the "horrible human being" line and instead of the Jets he should be in prison.

Nice job , this is my feeling on Hardy as well.

Archived