Free Agency Twitter Updates

DaBallhawk

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we have around 10 mil. in cap room left so we're not gonna be able to afford Hardy type players at this point anymore. We could free up ~ 5 mil. by cutting guys like Pace, Babin, Walls etc. but I don't see it. Don't see the need.

Rich Cimini @RichCimini 2h2 hours ago

The Jets have $19.3M in cap room, but that doesn't include the Antonio Cromartie, Marcus Gilchrist and Tanner Purdum contracts. #nyj

I think we have around 10 mil. in cap room left so we're not gonna be able to afford Hardy type players at this point anymore. We could free up ~ 5 mil. by cutting guys like Pace, Babin, Walls etc. but I don't see it. Don't see the need.

agree, and they won't cut pace or babin until after June 1 and that's only if they land a pass rusher in the draft

Rich Cimini @RichCimini 2h2 hours ago

The Jets have $19.3M in cap room, but that doesn't include the Antonio Cromartie, Marcus Gilchrist and Tanner Purdum contracts. #nyj

Hm. Cromartie makes about 8 mil. per year on average, Gilchrist 5.25 and Purdum I think signed like a 1 year deal so it's probably around 1 mil. Not sure how the contracts are structured though, front or backloaded.

agree, and they won't cut pace or babin until after June 1 and that's only if they land a pass rusher in the draft

Pretty much sums it up. Walls will have a tough time sticking around as our 6th (?) corner, making over a mil. this year. Don't think he'll survive the post June cut wave. And if we go pass rusher in round 1 or 2 that pretty much seals Babins and/or Pace's fate IMO.

Our GM has done a great job!

BTW:

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter 9m9 minutes ago

For now, forget about Seattle and Tampa being involved. Dallas is undisputed favorite to land free-agent DE Greg Hardy.

I would not go that far. The Harris, Cro deals would never be qualified as great.

Thanks for the update. If Dalls does land Greg Hardy that would be a huge boost to their DL.

oh snap he's the dumbass woman beater who got in trouble after rice and AP

no ******* way

do not want

Hardy_edited_zpsem7vaiow.jpg

Scumbag. Fitting that the Cowboys would want him. Don't they have another guy (DT) who last year drove drunk and killed his best friend in a car crash? A WR (Dez) who some say is dragging unconcious women around. A RB (Randle) who's shoplifting socks or something. I'm sure there's more, those are just the ones that I remember without really looking them up. Big D!

Anyone seen the details of these contracts ?

- Tanner Purdum signed a 2 year / $1,810,000 contract with the New York Jets, including $265,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $905,000.

- Antonio Cromartie signed a 4 year / $32,000,000 contract with the New York Jets, including $20,000,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $8,000,000.

- Marcus Gilchrist signed a 4 year / $22,000,000 contract with the New York Jets, including $10,000,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $5,500,000.

- Tanner Purdum signed a 2 year / $1,810,000 contract with the New York Jets, including $265,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $905,000.

- Antonio Cromartie signed a 4 year / $32,000,000 contract with the New York Jets, including $20,000,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $8,000,000.

- Marcus Gilchrist signed a 4 year / $22,000,000 contract with the New York Jets, including $10,000,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $5,500,000.

good find !  I've been looking for that

19.3 - 14.4 = the jets are not in the market for anyone we will read about for the next 3 months

and my son will now be practicing long snapping for 9 hours a day

19.3 - 14.4 = the jets are not in the market for anyone we will read about for the next 3 months

6 figures for snapping the ball and chasing down a returner like ~3-4 times per game. Talk about a great gig. :D

To be able to figure out the cap implications for 2015 we would need to know the signing bonus and what their 2015 salaries are. The signing bonus is divided by the number of years in contract and then add in 2015 salary.  

Is that Cromartie contract official?  I've yet to see anything published about the contract yet?  I didn't even see the Jets announce it?

Since The Jets had interest in Stevie Johnson and Cecil Shorts III, should they take a look at some other free agents like Michael Crabtree or Hakeem Nicks or maybe Denarius Moore?

i was thinking Hakeem Nicks would make a good 3rd or 4th option for us if he's healthy.

Jets bringing in some Guy for a visit to bolster defensive line

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 18, 2015, 7:51 AM EDT
faef4ea4aab3abab1d1f946141b9f1c3-e142667Getty Images

With most of the big names off the free agent market, teams are working to fill in their depth with guys who are just guys.

The Jets are being more specific.

According to Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun, Ravens backup defensive end Lawrence Guy is visiting the Jets Thursday.

The Jets are looking for backups, and Guy turned into a solid rotational player for the Ravens last year. He started the season with the Chargers, and the Ravens claimed him off waivers after he was cut three weeks into the season.

Since The Jets had interest in Stevie Johnson and Cecil Shorts III, should they take a look at some other free agents like Michael Crabtree or Hakeem Nicks or maybe Denarius Moore?

The team already has a lot of money tied up at the WR position between Decker, Marshall, and Kerley. I think they'll let the young guys on the roster compete with another draft pick to fill out the last couple spots. If that doesn't work out, there's always the roster cut mini-draft.

I'd rather they look at TEs.

Link?  Can anyone confirm this?  Jason has not yet updated his NYJ page to include the three above.  That tells me that either the contracts are still unconfirmed or that Jason is just so busy he hasn't had the time to update.

CRO got 20 mil guaranteed?? Holy crap!

It's insane. I like Cro and didn't object to bringing him back, but not with a contract like that. Just a dumb contract.

Yep.  This and the Harris deal are officially head-scratchers surrounded by otherwise good decisions made by the new front office. $10M guaranteed to Gilchrist is a lot too but the jury is out on that.

Yep.  This and the Harris deal are officially head-scratchers surrounded by otherwise good decisions made by the new front office. $10M guaranteed to Gilchrist is a lot too but the jury is out on that.

At 26 years old, Gilchrist contract is the best of those three unless one thinks he'd get cut for poor play this season or next. I would have liked to see Allen given a shot at FS after getting CB experience (such as it was) all last year. He can't stick with starting wideouts 1 on 1 all game long, but he can cover TEs and offer help to our corners well enough. Or that's what I thought anyway. But this wasn't a terrible deal and he's been good in SD.

The other two contracts I've spoken of (read: complained about) plenty, and surely will again. Other than those 2 contracts I've been happy with the job they've done. Two deals like that do make me concerned about their judgment as to how they allocate the team's resources.

Archived