Free Agency Twitter Updates

DaBallhawk

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure career wise Buffalo is a better spot for him. They're desperate for attention, they'll hang on to Rex for multiple years no matter how the team performs. In Chicago he would get kicked right out after a bad year.

https://twitter.com/KristianRDyer/status/581195489611268097

How did THIS fly under the radar? 

Probably because it's not really news.  Namath is correct and just stating the obvious.  If I had to guess it's 60/40 in favor of Geno.  Geno has been horrible at times, but in his 3rd year with actual weapons to use, in an offense more like his college days, he could possibly show some marked improvement.  At least there's some upside with Geno.  Fitz?  Eh, I just see a competent veteran backup who could hold the fort when needed.

With that said, as we get closer to the draft, I'm thinking if Mariota is there at 6, we've gotta take him.  Taking a pass rusher or WR would be great.  Hell even a stud offensive lineman would be cool too.  Even trading away the pick for additional picks would be alright in my book.  Really don't think there's a scenario where I'm not happy with what the Jets decide to do.  Thanks in large part to great FA signings.

But consider taking one of the top pass rushers or WRs...  Awesome!  Now what is probably a pretty decent team just got slightly better.  But would it in any way help us become more of a SB contender?  Nope.  Not the way I see it.  Until we find a franchise QB, the best we can hope for is playoff contention.

We're probably not seeing a top 10 pick for a few years, so we have to jump on the opportunity to get a possible franchise QB now.  Even if he has to sit for a couple years before playing.  Though if we actually do draft Mariota, I'd guess the realistic odds of the starter on opening day being something like 40/35/25 (Mariota, Geno, Fitz).

Failed with Sanchez (though some early success), not looking good with Geno (still slight glimmer of hope), now give Mariota 2/3 years.  If he's no good, try for the next QB in 2018.  If still nothing, try again in 2021...  See where I'm going here?  Just keep trying and take advantage of every opportunity to find a QB.  Always try to field a decent team, but realize it all ultimately falls short until a team finds at least a decent franchise QB.  Any opportunity to grab that prospect should be taken with the understanding that the odds probably aren't in your favor.  Eventually though, hopefully it pays off.

https://twitter.com/KristianRDyer/status/581195489611268097

How did THIS fly under the radar? 

Allow me to explain. If you state something that Jet fans agree with or fell strongly enough about, you will be their Hero. If you take them out of their comfort  zone, you immediately become their enemy. I give you as examples the present and former beat writers of the NY Jets from the NY Daily News.

Bears, Falcons, Raiders, 49ers, everyone. He wasn't even the Bills' first choice.

I think if it were up to him he without a doubt would have picked the Falcons, Bears, 49ers over the Bills. All of them. Easily. And if it were up to the Bills their HC would have been somebody else. I think they even admitted he wasn't their first choice. What a mess.

Not sure but don't think he's a FA? Guessing Carolina signed him to a Futures contract like Jets do after the season w/PS guys they want to keep.

Guess it makes sense. I was wondering why they'd hype him up openly if anybody could just pluck him off their team just like that, but I guess they can't. We'll see if he gets it together next year. I was a big fan of their WR Coach (Ricky Proehl) when he played, he was like their version of Chrebet. Makes me wish Chrebet would join our coaching staff...

I think if it were up to him he without a doubt would have picked the Falcons, Bears, 49ers over the Bills. All of them. Easily. And if it were up to the Bills their HC would have been somebody else. I think they even admitted he wasn't their first choice. What a mess.

Chicago was his first choice.

Full list:

1. Jacksonville Jaguars $34,945,883

2. Cleveland Browns $27,984,490

3. Tennessee Titans $25,043,148

4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers $24,268,468

5. Green Bay Packers $21,885,142

6. Oakland Raiders $21,400,917

7. Cincinnati Bengals $20,189,342

8. Atlanta Falcons $17,925,200

9. San Diego Chargers $15,922,099

10. Chicago Bears $14,606,038

11. Arizona Cardinals $13,926,482

12. Minnesota Vikings $12,955,066

13. Miami Dolphins $11,958,769

14. New York Jets $11,861,443

15. Seattle Seahawks $11,681,990

16. Indianapolis Colts $10,957,600

17. Denver Broncos $10,894,568

18. Carolina Panthers $10,783,539

19. Houston Texans $10,586,373

20. Washington Redskins $10,339,706

21. St. Louis Rams $10,022,468

22. Baltimore Ravens $9,368,728

23. Philadelphia Eagles $8,276,285

24. New York Giants $7,647,931

25. Buffalo Bills $7,341,151

26. Pittsburgh Steelers $7,115,484

27. San Francisco 49ers $6,869,260

28. New England Patriots $6,148,315

29. Detroit Lions $4,350,293

30. Kansas City Chiefs $2,820,676

31. Dallas Cowboys $2,245,944

32. New Orleans Saints $844,806

Pro days: The Cougars' long-awaited pro day took place today as junior receiver Deontay Greenberry, who was not invited to the Combine, took the field. I'm told 30 of the league's teams were on hand with only the New York Jets and Baltimore Ravens not in attendance.

Probably because it's not really news.  Namath is correct and just stating the obvious.  If I had to guess it's 60/40 in favor of Geno.  Geno has been horrible at times, but in his 3rd year with actual weapons to use, in an offense more like his college days, he could possibly show some marked improvement.  At least there's some upside with Geno.  Fitz?  Eh, I just see a competent veteran backup who could hold the fort when needed.

With that said, as we get closer to the draft, I'm thinking if Mariota is there at 6, we've gotta take him.  Taking a pass rusher or WR would be great.  Hell even a stud offensive lineman would be cool too.  Even trading away the pick for additional picks would be alright in my book.  Really don't think there's a scenario where I'm not happy with what the Jets decide to do.  Thanks in large part to great FA signings.

But consider taking one of the top pass rushers or WRs...  Awesome!  Now what is probably a pretty decent team just got slightly better.  But would it in any way help us become more of a SB contender?  Nope.  Not the way I see it.  Until we find a franchise QB, the best we can hope for is playoff contention.

We're probably not seeing a top 10 pick for a few years, so we have to jump on the opportunity to get a possible franchise QB now.  Even if he has to sit for a couple years before playing.  Though if we actually do draft Mariota, I'd guess the realistic odds of the starter on opening day being something like 40/35/25 (Mariota, Geno, Fitz).

Failed with Sanchez (though some early success), not looking good with Geno (still slight glimmer of hope), now give Mariota 2/3 years.  If he's no good, try for the next QB in 2018.  If still nothing, try again in 2021...  See where I'm going here?  Just keep trying and take advantage of every opportunity to find a QB.  Always try to field a decent team, but realize it all ultimately falls short until a team finds at least a decent franchise QB.  Any opportunity to grab that prospect should be taken with the understanding that the odds probably aren't in your favor.  Eventually though, hopefully it pays off.

I'm confused as to whether James Carpenter is a LG or RG?

He played LG with the Seahakws but I'd hope they move him over to RG, I don't think it should be an issue (he did play RT in college I believe). He hasn't really earned the right to get Aboushi benched. Colon on the other hand is depth material, I mean his contract pretty much gives it away. Pete Carroll just commented on Carpenter and what he brings to the Jets. I'll see if I can find the article.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/03/what_does_seattle_seahawks_pete_carroll_think_the.html

He played seven games in 2012, when he moved from right tackle to guard. He played a full season in 2013, with 10 starts, but was limited to 13 games in 2014.

Carpenter last season was rated the 47th-best offensive guard in the NFL by Pro Football Focus, as he spent all year at left guard. He checked in at 65th in the PFF ratings in 2013, when he was also a left guard. He was 64th in 2012, as a left guard. In 2011, as a right tackle, he was rated 65th in the league among tackles.

And some quotes from Carroll. Nothing specific though.

Archived