Free Agency Twitter Updates

DaBallhawk

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Way to make an impression on headcoaches and GM's.

Perfect. That means we'll be picking from Cooper, White, Fowler or Williams at #6. It couldn't fall any better than that for us.

Ryan Fitzpatrick with targets like Marshall, Decker, Cooper, Kerley, Amaro ... I know Fitz isn't the "top 10 QB" that everyone in our fanbase is pining for, but I don't see how he could fail with that sort of supporting cast. He looked mostly very good last year with Arian Foster, Deandre Hopkins and a fading Andre Johnson, this would give him twice the fire power.

yea...I could see Fitz the Beard failing.

Draft a franchise QB or go pick something else. Enough with this wasting of 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks on guys that don't have what it takes to be a good NFL QB.

Disagree. Obviously a franchise QB would be the ideal, but at this stage of the game I'd be happy with merely a serviceable QB. If they like a guy after the first round, they have my blessing to take him.

Disagree. Obviously a franchise QB would be the ideal, but at this stage of the game I'd be happy with merely a serviceable QB. If they like a guy after the first round, they have my blessing to take him.

and currently, we don't have one one on the roster.

You're essentially getting another Geno Smith. I don't see how that solves anything for us. Plus, teams never committ to those guys. The expectations are ridiculous. They throw those 2nd and 3rd round QB's in there and unless they tear a defense apart the franchise is going to move on from them and pick another QB a year later or sign a veteran to take over. Especially this year I'd rather pick a WR/DE in round 2. Or even a RB. You can easily get a Pro Bowl type player a couple years down the road in round 2 at those positions.

Yeah I have it.

• NFL Draft Insiders
  • Comment

Ahead of the 2015 NFL draft, Insider is providing guides for all 32 teams: biggest need positions from Football Outsiders, top prospect targets from scouts Steve Muench and Kevin Weidl and predictions on how everything will play out from our NFL Nation team reporters.

Included below are links to every team's article. This is the entry for the New York Jets

Roster needs

Biggest need: Quarterback -- Geno Smith's defense-adjusted yards above replacement (DYAR) ranked him 43rd as a rookie and 32nd last year. Over the past 25 years, the only quarterbacks who have started their careers in similarly poor fashion but then became good starters are No. 1 overall picks (Troy Aikman, Alex Smith). Geno Smith's probability of developing even into a quarterback of Alex Smith's quality is very small.

Quiet need: Edge rusher -- The Jets were fourth in adjusted sack rate last year, but their strength came up the middle, with Sheldon Richardson leading the team in sacks. They could use an edge rusher such as Vic Beasley or Randy Gregorywho project well by Football Outsiders' SackSEER forecast system.

Not a need: Cornerback -- No team at any position has topped the Jets' makeover of their cornerback depth chart this offseason. In addition to Revis and Antonio Cromartie, the Jets added Buster Skrine, a key cog from the NFL'ssecond-best pass defense of 2014. That depth means both that Todd Bowles can feel free to blitz away and that the Jets can fill other positions in the draft.

--Andrew Healy, Football Outsiders

Prospect targets 2015 NFL DRAFT

Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon (Day 1): At 6-foot-4 and 222 pounds, Mariota has the frame, arm strength and mobility to develop into a franchise quarterback. There are concerns about his ability to excel in a pro-style offense and his footwork as it relates to his accuracy, but he's a proven winner and above-average decision-maker with the confidence and work ethic to get there. SigningRyan Fitzpatrick was smart considering Smith's struggles, but neither of them appears to be the long-term answer. The Jets should consider Mariota at No. 6 if he slips to them, or even trading up to get him if it's not cost-prohibitive.

Nate Orchard, OLB, Utah (Day 2): Orchard doesn't have the burst or closing speed of the top edge rushers in this class. However, he's an above-average hand fighter with above-average power, so he doesn't have to win with quickness -- and he is relentless. He also has the skill set to develop into an effective run stopper.

Mike Davis, RB, South Carolina (Day 3): Davis didn't run well at the combine and his production dropped last year, but he could prove to be a Day 3 steal. For starters, he ran far better at his pro day and he's not speed-deficient on tape. More importantly, he's an outstanding competitor who makes the most of his blocks and regularly picks up yards after contact.

-- Steve Muench, Scouts Inc.

Predictions

1. It could be defense for the sixth straight year: The Jets haven't picked an offensive player in the first round since quarterback Mark Sanchez in 2009. The streak could continue, as defensive-minded coach Todd Bowles looks for an edge rusher to complement his rebuilt secondary and loaded defensive line. The most likely targets are Vic Beasley, Shane Ray and Randy Gregory. It sounds like overkill, but edge rusher is one of the strengths of the draft, and the Jets need some young legs to eventually replace Calvin Pace and Jason Babin.

2. They will draft a quarterback, but it might not be Marcus Mariota:Sure, they'd give Mariota strong consideration with the sixth pick (does anybody really think they're satisfied with Geno Smith and Ryan Fitzpatrick) but there's a good chance the former Oregon star won't make it that far. In that case, look for them to target a quarterback in the subsequent rounds, with Bryce Petty andGarrett Grayson as top candidates.

3. Beware, Trader Mike: With two trades and several high-profile, free-agent signings, new general manager Mike Maccagnan already has shown he's not a wallflower. He will take that aggressive mindset into the draft, although he's somewhat limited by having only six picks. Look for him to inquire about trading up for Mariota, but the cost could be prohibitive.

-- Rich Cimini, NFL Nation Jets reporter

They just keep on adding players nobody wants. Same sh*t every year. You'd think they'd learn at some point.

Spoiler alert: He will be released next year after a terrible season.

"If my life depended on it and somebody had to catch a ball, I’d enlist Michael Crabtree to do it.” - Jim Harbaugh

You're essentially getting another Geno Smith. I don't see how that solves anything for us. Plus, teams never committ to those guys. The expectations are ridiculous. They throw those 2nd and 3rd round QB's in there and unless they tear a defense apart the franchise is going to move on from them and pick another QB a year later or sign a veteran to take over. Especially this year I'd rather pick a WR/DE in round 2. Or even a RB. You can easily get a Pro Bowl type player a couple years down the road in round 2 at those positions.

Russell Wilson and Tom Brady.

It's funny because 1) he's a wreck and 2) he's dropped a sh*tload of passes last season.

Michael Crabtree has always had one of the the best set of hands in the game. You could lose other skills , but that skill of catching passes usually isn't the one affected. Let's look at 49ers passing offense. a Boldin was Crapernick go to receiver, and Vernon Davis was his second choice. How many of his progressions did Crapernick go through before taking off to run.

Michael Crabtree like Trent Richardson signings were no lose situations for the Raiders . Didn't cost that much now , and in the future, and going to give that player a chance to revive his career. I will take those chances every time.

Btw do you know Michael Crabtree after every single practice doesn't leave the field till catches 152 extra passes.( like Jerry Rice was the last one off the field working on his route running- even at the end of his career). Point there I have zero worries about his hands.

"If my life depended on it and somebody had to catch a ball, I’d enlist Michael Crabtree to do it.” - Jim Harbaugh

"A.J. Jenkins was an outstanding football player when he got here. His progress has been very, very good and exceeded expectations. For those scribes, pundits, so-called experts, who have gone as far to say that he is going to be a bust, should just stop.  I recommend that because they are making themselves look more clueless than they've already did. To go on record, A.J.'s going to be an outstanding football player. So far in camp, what he's done in the offseason has led us to believe nothing but that he will be an outstanding football player in the National Football League." - Jim Harbaugh

Love Harbaugh but he talked up his guys up a ton even when they hadn't exactly earned the praise.  Regardless, I actually like the signing of Crabtree for the potential reward.  The dude is a little soft for my taste  and he's a bit of a diva but he has a ton of talent and it's a good contract.  Should help Carr a lot. 

Wrecks Blowhard back at it again.

Offseason trophies: Infinite.

Actual trophies: None.

Full quote:

“I want success for Woody Johnson, I do. But don’t kid yourself—we’re gonna try to kick the s— out of them when we bring our team in. We’re going to try to whip your ass. There are people in that organization who are going to be lifelong friends to me. But this is my damn football family now.”

Inflammatory!

"A.J. Jenkins was an outstanding football player when he got here. His progress has been very, very good and exceeded expectations. For those scribes, pundits, so-called experts, who have gone as far to say that he is going to be a bust, should just stop.  I recommend that because they are making themselves look more clueless than they've already did. To go on record, A.J.'s going to be an outstanding football player. So far in camp, what he's done in the offseason has led us to believe nothing but that he will be an outstanding football player in the National Football League." - Jim Harbaugh

Love Harbaugh but he talked up his guys up a ton even when they hadn't exactly earned the praise.  Regardless, I actually like the signing of Crabtree for the potential reward.  The dude is a little soft for my taste  and he's a bit of a diva but he has a ton of talent and it's a good contract.  Should help Carr a lot. 

Wait!  You mean that we aren't supposed to just believe everything a coach says?

Draft a franchise QB or go pick something else. Enough with this wasting of 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks on guys that don't have what it takes to be a good NFL QB.

I don't often agree with Ballhawk, but I do on this one wholeheartedly.

Anything after the 1st round in the QB department, except for the extraordinarily rare lotto winner, is a complete waste of time and money. Approximately 99.8% of them suck.

I don't often agree with Ballhawk, but I do on this one wholeheartedly.

Anything after the 1st round in the QB department, except for the extraordinarily rare lotto winner, is a complete waste of time and money. Approximately 99.8% of them suck.

Well this makes 2 of us...... who don't often agree with Ballhawk!! LOL. :winking0001:

Archived