Free Agency Twitter Updates

DaBallhawk

What chances was he denied?

Hoyer was horrific last year.

Mallet was replaced AS A BACKUP by Beli. He was acquired by Obrien who opted to use Fitzpatrick. Every oach he has been groomed by has opted not to value him, let alone give him a chance to be part of what they're doing.

Hoyer was good the year before last, without the Manziel nonsense. I think that year is a better indicator of his potential.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4778810/quick-hit-thoughts-around-patriots-nfl-18

9. It wouldn’t be surprising if the Texans express interest in veteran defensive lineman Vince Wilfork, as they have a need at the position and several coaches on staff familiar with him from their time with the Patriots (Bill O’Brien, Romeo Crennel, Mike Vrabel, Anthony Pleasant). But I’m also interested to see if the Jets are in the mix based on Wilfork’s strong ties with first-year Jets defensive line coach Pepper Johnson and their search for more depth up front. Wilfork in Jets green-and-white, coupled with Revis, would be a tough Patriots pill to swallow. The hypothetical reminds me, in part, of longtime Patriots fan favorite Troy Brown taking a visit to the Jets toward the end of his career. (He didn’t sign with them.)

Yeah, until they drub the Jets twice and make it back to the AFCC game, again.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4778810/quick-hit-thoughts-around-patriots-nfl-18

9. It wouldn’t be surprising if the Texans express interest in veteran defensive lineman Vince Wilfork, as they have a need at the position and several coaches on staff familiar with him from their time with the Patriots (Bill O’Brien, Romeo Crennel, Mike Vrabel, Anthony Pleasant). But I’m also interested to see if the Jets are in the mix based on Wilfork’s strong ties with first-year Jets defensive line coach Pepper Johnson and their search for more depth up front. Wilfork in Jets green-and-white, coupled with Revis, would be a tough Patriots pill to swallow. The hypothetical reminds me, in part, of longtime Patriots fan favorite Troy Brown taking a visit to the Jets toward the end of his career. (He didn’t sign with them.)

Does that guy realize we have a better, younger player in Ellis we could resign in that case instead? There is no way Wilfat gets picked up by us.

The best part of this thread is the people complaining about others panicking when there's literally no one panicking in this thread. Projection is my favorite phenomenon.

The better part of it are the few who have had a kind of oh-no reaction in failing to sign someone we're prohibited from signing yet.

I don't remember this rule from before. Was I just in a fog? But it is a good one, regardless. The team doesn't know what a pending free agent's true value is until that player gets another offer. So the player gets to find out and the team still has 2-3 exclusive days to sign after finding out they would have overbid or underbid. In the past it always seemed there was only 1 deadline day. He's your player today, and only you can deal with him. Tomorrow anyone can talk to him and sign him on the spot and you may not get that 2nd chance.

It really is a good rule. The team gets a mulligan chance at re-signing a player whose $ value they grossly undervalued. The player gets an extra bidding war if he plays his cards right. Because he literally is prohibited from an official deal yet, he isn't under pressure to sign the first new-team offer he gets, out of concern they'll look elsewhere if he takes a day to think it over. He can go to other teams, including his own, with a couple of days to spare so he can truly see what his best options would be, whether staying or leaving. I know there was always that last phone call from agent to team with, "Hey this is the new top offer; you wanna match or beat it?" But a team had to answer on the spot (or nearly on the spot) so the agent wouldn't risk losing the deal he had by waiting himself.

Mallet was replaced AS A BACKUP by Beli. He was acquired by Obrien who opted to use Fitzpatrick. Every oach he has been groomed by has opted not to value him, let alone give him a chance to be part of what they're doing.

Hoyer was good the year before last, without the Manziel nonsense. I think that year is a better indicator of his potential.

Belichick liking Garroppolo (whom they spend a 2nd rounder on) better than Mallet as the guy that will never see the field with Mallett on the last year of his rookie deal and Garroppolo on the first of his means nothing to me.

The Texans signed Fitzpatrick in March of 2014, Mallett arrived a week before the season started, or less. Fitzpatrick was getting the nod. He played well enough to keep the job. Don't see how that is an indictment of Mallett, either.

And talking about the Manziel nonsense is just mystical excuse making for Hoyer being absolute crap on the football field. Johnny Manziel didn't make Brian Hoyer miss a wide open Josh Gordon for the go ahead touchdown against the Colts. Johnny Manziel didn't make him go 14-31 with two picks.

The Jets have expressed interest in Aaron Rodgers...reached out yesterday

Who the hell comes up with crap like this, Hoyer is turrible

I don't think Hoyer is terrible at all. The Browns last year did not have tremendous weapons and considering Manziel was looking over his back, Hoyer performed quite well. He also played well in 2013 prior to getting injured.

One AFC executive predicted Revis will fetch a three-year, $50 million contract. He probably won't get that much from the Patriots, who don't deflate when it comes to negotiating contracts. They're hardball all the way, expecting their stars to accept less than market in exchange for the joy of being part of the Patriot Way. By contrast, the Jets, perhaps motivated by their desire to stick it to their archrival and win the offseason, probably will overpay for the almost-30 cornerback.

With Marshall in the fold, the Jets probably won't draft a receiver with the sixth pick, so scratch Amari Cooper and Kevin White. Assuming they sign a cornerback or two in free agency, the draft focus will be on a pass-rusher or maybe a quarterback, if they fall in love with Marcus Mariota.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/49664/sunday-notes-can-the-jets-keep-brandon-marshall-happy

The best part of this thread is the people complaining about others panicking when there's literally no one panicking in this thread. Projection is my favorite phenomenon.

Here I thought it would have been denial.

The better part of it are the few who have had a kind of oh-no reaction in failing to sign someone we're prohibited from signing yet.

I don't remember this rule from before. Was I just in a fog? But it is a good one, regardless. The team doesn't know what a pending free agent's true value is until that player gets another offer. So the player gets to find out and the team still has 2-3 exclusive days to sign after finding out they would have overbid or underbid. In the past it always seemed there was only 1 deadline day. He's your player today, and only you can deal with him. Tomorrow anyone can talk to him and sign him on the spot and you may not get that 2nd chance.

It really is a good rule. The team gets a mulligan chance at re-signing a player whose $ value they grossly undervalued. The player gets an extra bidding war if he plays his cards right. Because he literally is prohibited from an official deal yet, he isn't under pressure to sign the first new-team offer he gets, out of concern they'll look elsewhere if he takes a day to think it over. He can go to other teams, including his own, with a couple of days to spare so he can truly see what his best options would be, whether staying or leaving. I know there was always that last phone call from agent to team with, "Hey this is the new top offer; you wanna match or beat it?" But a team had to answer on the spot (or nearly on the spot) so the agent wouldn't risk losing the deal he had by waiting himself.

One of the things I really like about the way the NFL operates is the extent to which they limit the ability of agents to hold teams hostage the way they do in the NBA and MLB.

Let's calm down about Hoyer. If we sign him to compete for the job fine, but don't

get confused he was awful down the stretch last season for CLE:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/12477/brian-hoyer

His game by game stats show how bad he was. He's no better or worse than the

other free agent QB's on the market

Is anyone actually arguing he was good last year?

The year before he showed a little promise. That's all.

Last year was the first year of the rule, I believe.

There was such obvious tampering going on, when Free Agency started at midnight, and players were signing at 6:00 am. It allows a negotiation period.

Belichick liking Garroppolo (whom they spend a 2nd rounder on) better than Mallet as the guy that will never see the field with Mallett on the last year of his rookie deal and Garroppolo on the first of his means nothing to me.

What? They drafted Mallett to be their franchise QB, to take over for Brady once he retires. BB had no faith in the kid so they had to go out and draft another player. When they had a chance to get that guy (Jimmy G.) they selected him and dumped Mallett off. They wanted to get rid of him for years actually. His value went down the longer he was with the Pats. At one point the Browns were believed to be willing to pay NE a 1st round pick for Mallett. Suddenly nobody was interested in him anymore, a couple years later. They dumped him off in Houston for a late round pick. You act like by accident they had 2 young talented franchise QBs on the roster and somehow they had to trade one of them. The only reason they went out and got Jimmy was because they had no faith in Mallett, I mean that's obvious. If they had faith in him they would've kept him around.

I would pay him 12. At this point Revis will cost 15

Maxwell hasn't exactly played that well last season. Especially if you consider the defense he was part of, the guys he had around him. No way in hell is he worth more than 10 mil. per year. Revis is on a different planet, he is elite and well worth the 15 mil per year. Why pay somebody 10-12 mil per year if that money essentially is wasted because he can't shut people down? Pay a little more and you have a shut down corner who closes one side of the field down.

Maxwell hasn't exactly played that well last season. Especially if you consider the defense he was part of, the guys he had around him. No way in hell is he worth more than 10 mil. per year. Revis is on a different planet, he is elite and well worth the 15 mil per year. Why pay somebody 10-12 mil per year if that money essentially is wasted because he can't shut people down? Pay a little more and you have a shut down corner who closes one side of the field down.

I would go 3 years 50 million for him. That's the top figure.

He aint even a man corner Seattle doesn't run that type of defense that's why I thought he was a bad fit for Bowles scheme.

Belichick liking Garroppolo (whom they spend a 2nd rounder on) better than Mallet as the guy that will never see the field with Mallett on the last year of his rookie deal and Garroppolo on the first of his means nothing to me.

The Texans signed Fitzpatrick in March of 2014, Mallett arrived a week before the season started, or less. Fitzpatrick was getting the nod. He played well enough to keep the job. Don't see how that is an indictment of Mallett, either.

And talking about the Manziel nonsense is just mystical excuse making for Hoyer being absolute crap on the football field. Johnny Manziel didn't make Brian Hoyer miss a wide open Josh Gordon for the go ahead touchdown against the Colts. Johnny Manziel didn't make him go 14-31 with two picks.

Fair enough. Not really invested in splitting hairs over 2 sh*t players

Okay, let's start here. It's 2011 and the Patriots anticipate Brady will retire in 201_....

Don't be stupid, you don't invest a 3rd round pick in a QB if you don't expect the guy to be a starter at some point.

Also, you might want to look up a player named Drew Bledsoe.

Absolutely. Stupid teams are going to get mauled in this cap environment, and it's going to be by handing out Amare Stoudemire contracts.

It's amazing how little teams learn from watching each other's offseasons on a year in, year out basis. Desperation rules, I guess.

Don't be stupid, you don't invest a 3rd round pick in a QB if you don't expect the guy to be a starter at some point.

Belichick historically gives no ****s about draft position. Without exaggeration, he might have drafted Mallet in the third because he liked the way he held the ball on field goals.

You didn't answer the question. You said that Belichick was grooming Mallett, back in 2011, to be the heir apparent for when Brady retires and yet you can't answer when they anticipated that happening, and I'm supposed think that I'm the one being stupid?

You think that they said, "Hey let's draft this guy, hold on to him for four years, re-sign him after his rookie contract expires and then have him wait (we hope and pray, since best case scenario Tom doesn't retire until 2016 or 17) to get the starting job. He can wait six or seven years, no? He'd re-up for that in a second, we're the Pats!"

He aint even a man corner Seattle doesn't run that type of defense that's why I thought he was a bad fit for Bowles scheme.

Give me Buster Skrine over Maxwell or any other FA corner out there any day of the week. Perfect fit, terrific press corner, only 25, probably is gonna take half of what Maxwell will be making. Pair him up with Cary, pick up Ron Parker to play centerfield, line up Pryor in the box and then let's go...

Archived