Texans Resign CB Jackson. Maxwell & Revis will be expensive

BroadwayJets

They signed him to a 4-year 34million dollar deal. Thats the money I thought Maxwell would get if he gets a little overpaid. I now expect him to get around 10. Too expensive. And Revis, forget it, most likely will be 16 a year.

Nah, Revis will go for the low low price of 15mil/yr, 30mil guranteed over first 2 years.

Forget Revis. I love him just as much as any Jet fan. But let that one go. We don't need him or his garbage uncle following him around every off season. He's 30. 

I can't say I wouldn't be happy if we got him, but I'm not all in on signing him. Not a huge fan of signing that big of a contract for a guy that probably won't be around when we start being good again.

Really have to get Revis or Maxwell.  And probably Cromartie as well (he will be much cheaper).  That gives you a starting combo of:

Revis or Maxwell

Cromartie

Milliner

However the new regime wants to rank Walls, Adams and Williams

McDougle

I am not saying Milliner would play the slot, just listing them in depth chart order. Hopefully Milliner comes back strong and beats out Cromartie. But they need an infusion of talent.

Still amazing that Idzik let Cromartie go with no other certain options in place.

Really have to get Revis or Maxwell.  And probably Cromartie as well (he will be much cheaper).  That gives you a starting combo of:

Revis or Maxwell

Cromartie

Milliner

McDougle

I am not saying Milliner would play the slot, just listing them in depth chart order. Hopefully Milliner comes back strong and beats out Cromartie. But they need an infusion of talent.

Still amazing that Idzik let Cromartie go with no other certain options in place.

Just praying whatever we do works out. Lol. Don't know how many more bad seasons we can take.

Maccagnan has to go hard after Maxwell.  I think we can count on getting Cromartie unless Maccagnan extremely lowballs him or if Bowles just isn't that high on him, but we need Maxwell.  Even if he has to overpay him, Maccagnan has to get that deal done.

Good thing we have all this extra money to sweeten our offers

Why even bother with a response like this?

So do fans think the Jets are the only team in the league with money?  FA is still a two-way deal.  It's funny watching fans complain about the Jets giving up too much money in one thread on a player and then not offering enough on others...

Revis or Maxwell

Cromartie

Milliner

McDougle

Dude, it's pretty common knowledge at this point that the coaching staff was ready to move on from Cro. I know it fits well into the "Idzik failed at CB in every way" conversation, but with this particular detail it was most definitely on the coaches and Idzik. 

Heck, a slow, 31 year old ILB got $7.5 a year - what do you expect is going to happen with young quality CB's...

Free agents are going to be expensive this year.  Be prepared to pay.  We do have a ton of money though

A slow 31 year old ILB got overpaid by a few million.

Why even bother with a response like this?

So do fans think the Jets are the only team in the league with money?  FA is still a two-way deal.  It's funny watching fans complain about the Jets giving up too much money in one thread on a player and then not offering enough on others...

Agreed. In a nutshell I'd say 99% of the people that post here have no clue what they are talking about with regard to player valuation and the money being spent. There are even times I'm skeptical of Jason OTC, because while he knows capology, there's still an element of knowing the market that can only be informed by actually shopping in it. Only the general managers and agents have that insight. Not bloggers, not reporters and certainly not fans.

A complete butchering of Harris' ability and his value.

He's a great run stopping linebacker. Pretty good at rushing the passer but awful in coverage, and he's losing a step. He's not worth 7.5 mil a year. I'm okay with it because he's a good guy and the salary cap is continuing to go up, but definitely got overpaid. 

A slow 31 year old ILB got overpaid by a few million.

I'm honestly not sure that's the case.  Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by overpaid.

Would he have gotten more from another team?  I think it's likely he would have.  If that's the case, was he overpaid?

Don't get me wrong, I don't love the deal but I think we're going to be shocked by a lot this year...Just too much cap money available,with too many teams, that has to be spent. 

Just wanted to respond to Maxman, who said if we got Cro and another starting caliber CB that Milliner if he comes back strong maybe beats out Cro at one point. Then. it would be good to see Cro moved to safety since he is a pretty good ball hawk. That usually happens to many CBs at the end of their careers,

I'm honestly not sure that's the case.  Well, I guess it what you mean by overpaid.

Would he have gotten more from another team?  I think it's likely he would have.  If that's the case, was he overpaid?

Don't get me wrong, I don't love the deal but I think we're going to be shocked by a lot this year...Just too much cap money available,with too many teams, that has to be spent. 

I honestly don't because he would have scratched 6. Agree to disagree on that aspect, but I agree on the other part. Especially since Kareem Jackson just got that much. This past season was his one good year, before that from what I've heard he was very shaky. Maxwell might demand around 10, and we might have to pay it, although IMO i think that'd be a little much, there's nothing we could do.

One thing about the re-signing of Harris is we definitetly are committed to the 3-4 at this point. Davis is the cover LB and he's pretty decent there. Harris is the run stuffer and psuh/pass rush up the middle kinda like how Big snacks is in the middle of the line. You don't expect guys like Harris to be great cover guys. We now need to start getting the OLBs not only to rush the passer better, but be able to cover as well.

I honestly don't because he would have scratched 6. Agree to disagree on that aspect, but I agree on the other part. Especially since Kareem Jackson just got that much. This past season was his one good year, before that from what I've heard he was very shaky. Maxwell might demand around 10, and we might have to pay it, although IMO i think that'd be a little much, there's nothing we could do.

You know...I really hope you're wrong on this one...We won't know - but If you aren't it's not a good sign for our new front office.  if they overpaid that much on their FIRST big signing it's quite concerning.

Revis or Maxwell

Cromartie

Milliner

McDougle

Agreed.

You know...I really hope you're wrong on this one...We won't know - but If you aren't it's not a good sign for our new front office.  if they overpaid that much on their FIRST big signing it's quite concerning.

I hope I'm wrong too, though, who knows what Rex would have made the Bills pay for him. Glad he'll be lifelong Jet though.

how did you like them drafting marshall in the 5th round ?

how did you like them drafting marshall in the 5th round ?

I loved the Marshall move.  And I've already stated I'm okay with the Harris signing as I think it's likely he would have gotten that much on the open market...with that said I was expecting him to make about half of that and the moves concerns me a bit ...

Can you honestly tell me, when you heard what they were paying - you  weren't a little shocked or disappointed?

I loved the Marshall move.  And I've already stated I'm okay with the Harris signing as I think it's likely he would have gotten that much on the open market...with that said I was expecting him to make about half of that and the moves concerns me a bit ...

Can you honestly tell me, when you heard what they were paying - you  weren't a little shocked or disappointed?

they have signed about 5 players.  what do make of all of the signings as a whole ?

the high demand players get overpaid.  don't sweat it dude

He's a great run stopping linebacker. Pretty good at rushing the passer but awful in coverage, and he's losing a step. He's not worth 7.5 mil a year. I'm okay with it because he's a good guy and the salary cap is continuing to go up, but definitely got overpaid. 

And what player that plays the same position and has the value Harris has had to the Jets team are you comparing this to?  Said this in the David Harris thread...

I think folks are seriously undervaluing Harris

With the shift of the cap, how does anybody here know what the proper "value" of Harris or any player should be?  None of you work in the NFL nor do you know what the value of players are.  I won't claim to know either, maybe the Jets are paying a little more, but there is no question Harris was going to be well sought after in FA, and that in itself drove his value

I think many are missing the key points

- Harris was #1 MLB in FA

- Harris has been a rock solid 3 down player for the last several years, he earned every bit of the last contract he signed

- Harris is a leader on this team, players look up to him, and he's one of the most professional players who brings his lunch pail to work every day

- Unquestioned character and integrity, Harris brings it, doesn't talk too much, but is a silent assassin

Those knocking Harris because he doesn't have safety speed are missing the point and missing Harris' role, he's the QB on defense, could that have been replaced, yes, but at what cost?  If we let Harris go, who is the guy that we bring in during FA?  Harris didn't get a big money long term deal, it's a 3 year deal designed to transition the position to the guy who's going to replace him in the near future, but Harris is still a 3 down player who can be phased out.  Harris isn't old yet either.  Look at how long a player like Ray Lewis played, Harris has a similar stigma on this team, obviously not as flamboyant, but let's not undermine the value Harris has had.  There is no doubt Rex wanted Harris in Buffalo.

Another angle to think about are the players Bowles has had in Miami and Arizona

Larry Foote was a central player on his defense the last two years, and he will be 35 this year

Carlos Dansby was another middle LB on Bowles defense the year before last year and was in Miami with him as well, he will be 34 this year

Pretty sure the Cardinal defense didn't suffer with these two players QB'ng Bowles defenses the last several years.

This leads me to believe Bowles values a veteran player at the MLB position, and Harris just turned 31

they have signed about 5 players.  what do make of all of the signings as a whole ?

the high demand players get overpaid.  don't sweat it dude

I really don't want to make a big deal about this...but no one is sweating anything.  I'm on a Jets message board, discussing their first major singing (As you know the others were depth signings)  It's not "sweating" to look at a signing and deem it questionable...and when it's the first major signing of a new regime it's also reasonable to have concerns.  Not calling for their head, not saying they're not good or won't be great (in fact I've been clear I love the Marshall trade)...Just expressing an opinion on their first major signing..

If you have a differing opinion, so be it. 

Archived