2015 Mets thread!

adb280z

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok enough with the back and forth- this a Mets thread lets discuss them

Which if any free agent would you want the Mets to resign? 9 Mets are free agents

Colon if he can come back on a 1 year deal?

Blevins. I'd probably let Bartolo go. We'll already have Niese for spot starts and long relief. Don't forget we have Montero coming back too.

It will be interesting to see how the Marlins do through July. If they suck, I think Stanton goes on the block and we definitely can put together a package that's fair value.

Blevins. I'd probably let Bartolo go. We'll already have Niese for spot starts and long relief. Don't forget we have Montero coming back too.

It will be interesting to see how the Marlins do through July. If they suck, I think Stanton goes on the block and we definitely can put together a package that's fair value.

It would be a nightmare situation for the Marlins to trade him within the division, but when you're one of few teams, or the ONLY team perhaps, who can offer up a solid deal....they'd have to take it.

It would be a nightmare situation for the Marlins to trade him within the division, but when you're one of few teams, or the ONLY team perhaps, who can offer up a solid deal....they'd have to take it.

Loria doesn't give two sh*ts about that kind of stuff. He'd probably ask for cash on top of Harvey/Conforto or whatever.

Look, the Mets are going to be limited in FA this year. The Wilpons have like a $40 million Madoff payment coming up. I think this year drew a bunch of people back into the Mets who hadn't been paying the closest attention the past 4-5 years, so they're expecting the Mets to go all in and go for it because of their success this season. Truth of the matter is that between the Madoff sh*t and Alderson's style, that's not the Mets and that's not how we've built this team back up. Every now and then they'll make a Granderson or Bartolo move, but those are few and far between. If we spend on anything, I suspect it will be for a bullpen, where Sandy made an endless barrage of trades this year and still came up short. So expect us to be in the running for guys like O'Day or maybe even a trade like Uehara.

Do not expect Zobrist or Kendrick. The Mets want Herrera playing second. I would not get my hopes up for Rasmus either. Maaaaybe they resign Ces, but that's 50/50.

One other related problem is the Mets are stuck in a bit of limbo. They have a handful of really good prospects that are still probably a year or two away (Rosario, Smith...etc), so they have to decide how worth it it is to go after long-term deals for positions that will be filled by the end of 2017 by kids who are not only very good but that they've also invested a ton of time and money into already.

One thing I read potential free agent targets for another outfielder to platoon with Lagares are Span and Rasmus.

I might take a shot at Desmond if his demands are down- he imploded this year but has the ability to be real good.

One thing I read potential free agent targets for another outfielder to platoon with Lagares are Span and Rasmus.

I might take a shot at Desmond if his demands are down- he imploded this year but has the ability to be real good.

Span would be very interesting. The Nats were a very different team when he was not in the line-up. I think Lagares may be the type of player that has to be pushed.

Could use the speed element also. You could bat Span leadoff when he is in, and drop Granderson to 2.

Years from now, baseball fans will look at the score cards and see the Mets committed 6 errors in this series. And unfortunately that won't tell the whole story, because Cespedes' game 1 blunder and Duda's game 5 throw weren't scored as errors, and the impact of those plays cannot be understated.

Duda's was way worse, but it's such bullsh*t that Escobar goes down in the books as hitting an IHP. It was without question an error. I get that it was scored accordingly because of the way they address it in the rule book, but they need to change the language regarding miscommunication.

My last name is Duda.

No relation.

Look, the Mets are going to be limited in FA this year. The Wilpons have like a $40 million Madoff payment coming up. I think this year drew a bunch of people back into the Mets who hadn't been paying the closest attention the past 4-5 years, so they're expecting the Mets to go all in and go for it because of their success this season. Truth of the matter is that between the Madoff sh*t and Alderson's style, that's not the Mets and that's not how we've built this team back up. Every now and then they'll make a Granderson or Bartolo move, but those are few and far between. If we spend on anything, I suspect it will be for a bullpen, where Sandy made an endless barrage of trades this year and still came up short. So expect us to be in the running for guys like O'Day or maybe even a trade like Uehara.

Do not expect Zobrist or Kendrick. The Mets want Herrera playing second. I would not get my hopes up for Rasmus either. Maaaaybe they resign Ces, but that's 50/50.

One other related problem is the Mets are stuck in a bit of limbo. They have a handful of really good prospects that are still probably a year or two away (Rosario, Smith...etc), so they have to decide how worth it it is to go after long-term deals for positions that will be filled by the end of 2017 by kids who are not only very good but that they've also invested a ton of time and money into already.

I think we forget that the line-up next year is already better than what we had most of this season just by having a full season of Conforto and hopefully Wright. I can live with the Tejada we saw the 2nd half of the season at SS.  If Murphy and Cespedes don't resign I think we need one more legit bat at ether 2B or CF.  The difference another power bat (Cespedes) made was huge to the entire line-up so hopefully Sandy considers that although I am pretty sure he is not a Cespedes guy....money ball and all.

Curious to see what Flores role with the 2016 team will be or if he is once again something other teams might trade for.

I think we forget that the line-up next year is already better than what we had most of this season just by having a full season of Conforto and hopefully Wright. I can live with the Tejada we saw the 2nd half of the season at SS.  If Murphy and Cespedes don't resign I think we need one more legit bat at ether 2B or CF.  The difference another power bat (Cespedes) made was huge to the entire line-up so hopefully Sandy considers that although I am pretty sure he is not a Cespedes guy....money ball and all.

Curious to see what Flores role with the 2016 team will be or if he is once again something other teams might trade for.

I think Flores is going to be a Met for a long time, but it became very clear this season that he's much better when he doesn't have to be an everyday player. 

Also have to give him credit, as horrific a SS as he usually is he filled in quite admirably for Tejada in the playoffs. Nothing amazing, but he certainly managed to not be a disaster like he usually was at short.

I think Flores is going to be a Met for a long time, but it became very clear this season that he's much better when he doesn't have to be an everyday player. 

Also have to give him credit, as horrific a SS as he usually is he filled in quite admirably for Tejada in the playoffs. Nothing amazing, but he certainly managed to not be a disaster like he usually was at short.

If there's one thing (among many) you can say about the 2015 Mets, it's that whenever players were needed to simply "hold the fort", there was always someone capable of doing so. 

If there's one thing (among many) you can say about the 2015 Mets, it's that whenever players were needed to simply "hold the fort", there was always someone capable of doing so. 

Here and there. It's hard to call guys like Campbell or Ceciliani capable, but certainly others like Plawecki and Verrett. The fact that the pitching was able to keep the team at .500 until the Uribe and Cespedes deals may be the most impressive thing about this past year. It's easy to forget now, but we were trotting out some god awful lineups through June and into July.

Here and there. It's hard to call guys like Campbell or Ceciliani capable, but certainly others like Plawecki and Verrett. The fact that the pitching was able to keep the team at .500 until the Uribe and Cespedes deals may be the most impressive thing about this past year. It's easy to forget now, but we were trotting out some god awful lineups through June and into July.

Campbell and Mayberrry. Our pitchers had a higher batting average than 6 or 7 guys in the lineup

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/156526164/matt-harvey-prince-fielder-comeback-players

Harvey, Fielder named Comeback Players of the Year

Both players helped clubs get to postseason in resilient 2015 seasons

The Rangers had high hopes for Prince Fielder after acquiring him from the Detroit Tigers prior to the 2014 season. But the designated hitter, who had missed just one game in the previous five seasons, had season-ending surgery on a herniated disc in his neck in May and played in just 42 games.

The Mets had high hopes for right-hander Matt Harvey when he was the National League's starting pitcher in the 2013 All-Star Game in his first full season in the big leagues. Six weeks later, he was diagnosed with a partial tear of the ulnar collateral ligament in his elbow, underwent Tommy John surgery and missed the entire 2014 season.

Both players rebounded strongly this season, and as a result, they were recognized as the American League and the NL Comeback Players of the Year on Thursday by Major League Baseball. The awards are presented annually to one player in each league who has re-emerged on the field during the season. The 30 club beat reporters from MLB.com selected the winners from an original list of 30 candidates -- one per club.

Past winners of the Comeback Player of the Year Awards include: Casey McGehee and Chris Young (2014); Francisco Liriano and Mariano Rivera ('13); Fernando Rodney and Buster Posey ('12); Jacoby Ellsbury and Lance Berkman ('11); Liriano and Tim Hudson ('10); Aaron Hill and Chris Carpenter ('09); Cliff Lee and Brad Lidge ('08); Carlos Peña and Dmitri Young ('07); Jim Thome and Nomar Garciaparra ('06); and Jason Giambi and Ken Griffey, Jr. ('05).

Fielder, 31, played in 158 regular-season games while batting .305 with 23 homers, 98 RBIs and an .841 OPS. He made his sixth All-Star team.

"It's really awesome," Fielder said on MLB Network after the winners were revealed. "It was a lot of hard work to get back and be able to play. ... I kind of felt I'd be confident to at least be able to play. But I didn't know how I'd play."

Harvey, 26, made a career-high 29 starts and pitched 189 1/3 regular-season innings, going 13-8 with a 2.71 ERA, then made four more starts and threw an additional 26 2/3 innings in the postseason. That had become an issue in the second half when agent Scott Boras suggested that Harvey's total innings should be capped at 180.

Before throwing eight innings against the Royals in Game 5 of the World Series, Harvey talked about what it meant to him to be able to return to the rotation with a full injury-free season.

"I think it's great," he said. "As a starting pitcher and being a younger guy, I think getting to that 200-innings limit is something you always look for. You kind of want to be a horse and go out there. You look at guys who have thrown 230 innings year after year after year. That's who I've always wanted to be.

"Leading into the season, you don't know what to expect. Obviously going from zero innings, I couldn't be happier. I think the best thing and the most positive thing is how I feel after the 200-inning mark, and quite honestly, it's probably better than I did at the 100 mark. For me, the season was obviously an extreme success, just being healthy, playing, going out there every fifth day or whenever it was and being healthy and being where we are now. I don't think anybody's happier at that than I am."

Harvey said he had little doubt that he would be able to dominate again.

"I think the biggest worry was when I was deciding if I was going to have surgery or not," he said. "I wanted to take some time. It took about two months from finding out I had a slight tear to actually going in and having surgery. So I think in those two months, there were probably a lot of things that went through my head, if I was going to be the same player or same pitcher or even close to coming back.

"Once I decided I wanted to have surgery, all those doubts and thoughts -- and especially negative thoughts -- definitely went out the window. I knew I was going to go see the best surgeon in the world and have the best staff behind me and training program. From then on, it was kind of a no-doubter that I knew I'd be back."

Fielder, a middle-of-the-lineup force, had signed a 9-year, $214 million contract with the Tigers in 2012. Last year, though, he hit just three homers in his first 150 at-bats while trying to ignore the pain in his neck. That was a shock for a hitter who had the fifth-most homers by a left-handed hitter in baseball history by the age of 30.

"It was such a bad feeling,'' Fielder said during Spring Training. "I never thought I'd get hurt. Nine years in, and I never got hurt. I don't know what was wrong. I was stubborn. I couldn't even feel my arm, but I'm thinking, 'Did I lose it?' I refused to make an excuse. I just figured I'd needed to get back in the cage and get my swing back.''

Fielder got his swing back, and the Rangers made the playoffs after a two-year absence. And Harvey helped propel the Mets into the postseason and all the way to the World Series for the first time since 2000.

Fielder and Harvey didn't fulfill expectations last year. They did it a season later, and for that, they were voted MLB's 2015 Comeback Players of the Year.

November 5th, 2015 3:35 pm

Sandy Alderson said Wednesday that he’s open to bringing back free-agent pitcher Bartolo Colon.

Colon, 42, was 14-13 with a 4.16 ERA in 194 2/3 regular-season innings in 2015. He made seven relief appearances during the postseason, allowing two runs and seven hits, while striking out seven batters, in 8 2/3 innings.

“He proved in the postseason that he can pitch out of the pen,” Alderson said. “Whether he would do that on a full-time basis, or be a swing man/middle guy, or even step into the rotation in the event of injuries, I think we’re still open-minded about the possibility of Bartolo.”

He has a role on this team. I can’t see him getting a multi-year deal from anyone, so a one-year offer to stay in Queens should be of some interest to him, I would think.

The thing is, he’d have to know he’ll eventually end up back in the bullpen if he sticks with the Mets. I can see him getting a handful of starts through the summer, spotting guys, filling in for injury, etc., but he’ll have no choice but to be a full-time reliever when Zack Wheeler returns from Tommy John surgery by July. I assume Colon wants to be a full-time starter, so he should explore the market as best he can. However, if there are no regular gigs open to him, I’d love to see him back at Citi Field…

I rooted for the Yankees to win all 3 games in NY for the city, and also didn't mind the late-90's Yankees all that much.  GFY.  Had you worn your Royals avatar like you were supposed to I guarantee we would have won this series.

the only time i ever rooted for the Yankees was when they played the LA Dodgers.  I was actually a Brooklyn Dodger fan when I was very (very) young and I still hate them for leaving.  Loved when the Mets beat them this year.

Jayson StarkSenior Writer, ESPN.com
The Royals' scouting report heading into the World Series was to look for ways to force Lucas Duda & David Wright to make throws in pressure situations. Thought that would come via bunt ... but whatever works!

D'Arnaud too.  I understood TDA and Wright.  Lucas has always thrown well to 2B oe 3B on bunts and DPs.  The fact that he is a nervous nelly by nature must have been picked up by their scouts.  Good job by them

The Mets added Josh Smoker to the 40 man roster yesterday. This is the kid who was a number 31 overall draft pick by the Nats,and then dropped after being wild and injured. The Mets picked him up off the Independent trash heap, and he was throwing 98 as a lefty and getting control.

That the Mets have protected him on the 40 is telling. Hopefully we got something there.

The Mets added Josh Smoker to the 40 man roster yesterday. This is the kid who was a number 31 overall draft pick by the Nats,and then dropped after being wild and injured. The Mets picked him up off the Independent trash heap, and he was throwing 98 as a lefty and getting control.

That the Mets have protected him on the 40 is telling. Hopefully we got something there.

The FINAL spot on the 40-man roster, no less.  Could this also be a sign we're looking to move Niese?

Interesting:

Mets make $15.8 million Qualifying Offer to Daniel Murphy

1 Comment

As expected the Mets have made the $15.8 million Qualifying Offer to free agent second baseman Daniel Murphy.

During the two-week stretch in which Murphy was doing a pretty solid Babe Ruth impression there was lots of talk about him cashing in with a huge long-term contract on the open market, but even a less hyperbolic projection would likely convince him to turn down a one-year, $15.8 million deal to remain in New York.

If he turns it down and signs elsewhere the Mets would receive a first-round draft pick as compensation. Murphy hit .281 with 14 homers and a .770 OPS in the regular season, which is right in line with his lifetime .288 batting average and .755 OPS.

Interesting:

Mets make $15.8 million Qualifying Offer to Daniel Murphy

1 Comment

As expected the Mets have made the $15.8 million Qualifying Offer to free agent second baseman Daniel Murphy.

During the two-week stretch in which Murphy was doing a pretty solid Babe Ruth impression there was lots of talk about him cashing in with a huge long-term contract on the open market, but even a less hyperbolic projection would likely convince him to turn down a one-year, $15.8 million deal to remain in New York.

If he turns it down and signs elsewhere the Mets would receive a first-round draft pick as compensation. Murphy hit .281 with 14 homers and a .770 OPS in the regular season, which is right in line with his lifetime .288 batting average and .755 OPS.

No surprise . I read that there has not been a player yet that has accepted the one year Q/offer - they want to see what they can get on the open market for multiple years.

Qualifying offer to Murph made. It's a good move. Either we get a first or we lock up a utility guy who can help get Wright through the season and platoon at second with Herrera and Wilmer. 

It's just going to be really hard to forget how he played in the WS. 

Adding a 1st rounder will in part make up for the Cuddyer disaster.  Sitting and watching a record 8 shortstops go in the first round in June was painful.  I know we have 4 quality middle infield prospects in our system but still; you can never have too many talented SS prospects (See: Cubs), given how weak the position has gotten league-wide.  I would have also liked to have landed OF Eric Jenkins, a local kid here in Eastern NC who committed to UNCW but I knew there was no chance in hell he'd go unsigned.  But nooo, we just had to burn a 1st round to sign that waste of space Cuddyer. 

Yes, this rant is totally undeserved given the season we just had, but I'm still irked, ok?  It's not your fault Sandy, it's Cuddyer's.

Adding a 1st rounder will in part make up for the Cuddyer disaster.  Sitting and watching a record 8 shortstops go in the first round in June was painful.  I know we have 4 quality middle infield prospects in our system but still; you can never have too many talented SS prospects (See: Cubs), given how weak the position has gotten league-wide.  I would have also liked to have landed OF Eric Jenkins, a local kid here in Eastern NC who committed to UNCW but I knew there was no chance in hell he'd go unsigned.  But nooo, we just had to burn a 1st round to sign that waste of space Cuddyer. 

Yes, this rant is totally undeserved given the season we just had, but I'm still irked, ok?  It's not your fault Sandy, it's Cuddyer's.

BA released its top prospects the other day, if you discount Matz (who they had #1), two of our top three prospects are shortstops (Rosario and Cecchini). Worth noting they ranked both ahead of Nimmo but I think that was because of the injuries.

Another large question that I think most media have been neglecting is what to do with Plawecki. They can't keep him called up if d'Arnoud is the future, because Plawecki needs games. The problem is d'Arnoud is definitely their guy of the future because of his bat, but they need someone that can be reliable for the hypothetical because d'Arnoud seems to be cursed, and that's certainly NOT Recker. I don't think that's fair to Plawecki, the guy is ready to be a full-time catcher somewhere, and if the league knows that then there has to be someone out there that would give up something of fair value in return. 

If I'm Alderson, I'm putting some feelers out in FA to see if I can land a veteran backup on the cheap, and if so float that Plawecki is available, preferably for a good at third or OF prospect.

Archived