2015 Mets thread!

adb280z

9 years of learned helplessness and self-loathing?

We figured at the start of the year the team was a year away, so .500 ball should be more than tolerable. I guess we had unrealistically high hopes because of the fact that the Mets 2 titles were won on the backs of strong homegrown pitching, and the performances Syndergaard has been putting up coupled with the hot start in April made people believe we'd be a contender a year early.

And as faba said, it'd be fine to have one of the 3 phases lacking. But having poor hitting AND defense is a little rough. The pitchers have to go out there thinking they need to be perfect every night.

Sure. Would be great. But Alderson said at the beginning of the season that this is what the team would be. Not to mention they've been plagued by injuries to an insane degree. That we're actually still above .500 is absurd considering all the guys that have been hurt.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The team has improved. Farm system looks good. No albatross deals. Abundance of assets for future deals. Several bats to call up to fill the glaring holes made obvious by this year. What's the problem?

Harvey is good right now. DeGrom is good right now. Syndegaard looks like he's going to get there pretty quickly. There is no linearity to success in baseball, particularly when the owner is cheap. They're eventually going to trade Harvey for prospects so they can avoid paying him, then they'll pull the same sh*t with DeGrom. Patience is not a real thing with the Mets. It's code for kicking the can down the road.

Personally, I'm not expecting them to trade for Trout. All I want is a shortstop that will bat .270 and turn the double play. I want an outfielder who isn't striking out every other time at the plate. These aren't unreasonable, expensive demands. What's making me sick is hearing Alderson sound bites every month sh*tting on another beat guy who suggests that he should try to acquire--God forbid--a major league-ready player. The time to defer is over. They've been playing the "wait til next year!" card for five years.

Harvey is good right now. DeGrom is good right now. Syndegaard looks like he's going to get there pretty quickly. There is no linearity to success in baseball, particularly when the owner is cheap. They're eventually going to trade Harvey for prospects so they can avoid paying him, then they'll pull the same sh*t with DeGrom. Patience is not a real thing with the Mets. It's code for kicking the can down the road.

Personally, I'm not expecting them to trade for Trout. All I want is a shortstop that will bat .270 and turn the double play. I want an outfielder who isn't striking out every other time at the plate. These aren't unreasonable, expensive demands. What's making me sick is hearing Alderson sound bites every month sh*tting on another beat guy who suggests that he should try to acquire--God forbid--a major league-ready player. The time to defer is over. They've been playing the "wait til next year!" card for five years.

They have not been playing that card. They have been as clear as humanly possible since he took over that rebuilding the farm system was priority one. If you thought that was taking anything less than half a decade, that's on you.

They have not been playing that card. They have been as clear as humanly possible since he took over that rebuilding the farm system was priority one. If you thought that was taking anything less than half a decade, that's on you.

They certainly have not, but this might be a function of you not loving in the tri-state and not being subjected to the despicable marketing of the Mets franchise. Alderson thought it was a 90-win team last year. The Mets spent this offseason selling tickets with "The Time Is Now." Perennially, Jeffy Is quoted as saying they'll be aggressive at the trading deadline, and they never do anything, and then Sandy has the balls to turn up his nose at the suggestion that he was supposed to do a damn thing, instead referring to "lean markets" and "cost." It's a joke. Wilmer Flores' continued existence at shortstop, or Murphy's at second, is a farce. Sandy isn't waiting around to build an offense around Gavin Cecchini. This is the same group that tried telling the fans that Daniel Murphy was Don Mattingly. In sum, there is no plan. Sandy is here at the behest of MLB to front what is an essentially bankrupt organization and keep the lights on until Fred gets back into the black. Everything else is window decoration.

You know, if they were just young and bad, I could deal with it. But they're not. They're a really good pitching staff backed by laughable used parts, triple-A scrubs, two pieces of glass in Wright and d'Arnaud, and Lucas Duda. Making the team sustainably competitive, immediately, is possible. Go get the SS. Go get a few veteran bats. Banking on 2016 (17? 18?) while you're young, cheap, stud pitchers have to get burned time and again by Flores not knowing how to field a grounder, which results in another 1-0, 2-1 loss is malfeasance.

They certainly have not, but this might be a function of you not loving in the tri-state and not being subjected to the despicable marketing of the Mets franchise. Alderson thought it was a 90-win team last year. The Mets spent this offseason selling tickets with "The Time Is Now." Perennially, Jeffy Is quoted as saying they'll be aggressive at the trading deadline, and they never do anything, and then Sandy has the balls to turn up his nose at the suggestion that he was supposed to do a damn thing, instead referring to "lean markets" and "cost." It's a joke. Wilmer Flores' continued existence at shortstop, or Murphy's at second, is a farce. Sandy isn't waiting around to build an offense around Gavin Cecchini. This is the same group that tried telling the fans that Daniel Murphy was Don Mattingly. In sum, there is no plan. Sandy is here at the behest of MLB to front what is an essentially bankrupt organization and keep the lights on until Fred gets back into the black. Everything else is window decoration.

That was a legit excuse to say to transplants 20 years ago. Now not so much. I read the same stuff you do. Alderson stated that he'd be disappointed without a playoff berth, but that fans should expect around 89 wins this year. That happened. Promise you. It really did.

As for marketing, I mean come on. What would you like them to say? Come and see the Mets! We MIGHT win 89 games this year!

Again, this is your problem. Not Alderson's. You're the one setting your expectations based on the sales department. Not what's logistically possible for a baseball team.

You know, if they were just young and bad, I could deal with it. But they're not. They're a really good pitching staff backed by laughable used parts, triple-A scrubs, two pieces of glass in Wright and d'Arnaud, and Lucas Duda. Making the team sustainably competitive, immediately, is possible. Go get the SS. Go get a few veteran bats. Banking on 2016 (17? 18?) while you're young, cheap, stud pitchers have to get burned time and again by Flores not knowing how to field a grounder, which results in another 1-0, 2-1 loss is malfeasance.

This is what I'm talking about. Let's prematurely trade away assets to go all in for the year. Give me a break with this. The Mets tried being the Yankees once upon a time and it failed miserably. Sustained success means continuously churning out assets. The Mets literally just started doing that last year. And if there is one ******* thing that any Mets fan that has actually followed this team should know, through one sh*tty GM after another, it's that you don't open your mouth until you know what the shot is.

That was a legit excuse to say to transplants 20 years ago. Now not so much. I read the same stuff you do. Alderson stated that he'd be disappointed without a playoff berth, but that fans should expect around 89 wins this year. That happened. Promise you. It really did.

As for marketing, I mean come on. What would you like them to say? Come and see the Mets! We MIGHT win 89 games this year!

Again, this is your problem. Not Alderson's. You're the one setting your expectations based on the sales department. Not what's logistically possible for a baseball team.

This is what I'm talking about. Let's prematurely trade away assets to go all in for the year. Give me a break with this. The Mets tried being the Yankees once upon a time and it failed miserably. Sustained success means continuously churning out assets. The Mets literally just started doing that last year. And if there is one ******* thing that any Mets fan that has actually followed this team should know, through one sh*tty GM after another, it's that you don't open your mouth until you know what the shot is.

I'm not trying to impugn your knowledge of the team at all, just stating that your expectations for the team are tempered via the luxury of not being in a market saturated by Mets propaganda. That said, I don't have particularly high expectations for the Mets because the post-Madoff Mets do the same thing every year--hover around .500 until the trading deadline, do nothing, then collapse, which will be the case again this year. I understand the need for patience, but there's no logic behind that with this franchise. Who's coming up soon to save the day? Plawecki and Herrera are already here by necessity and they're not particularly close to ready. Matt Reynolds? Nimmo? It's not like they have Giancarlo Stanton and Kris Bryant sitting in triple-A. Like it or not, if the Mets hope to compete within the next year or two, they're going to have to make a significant deal, which we have no reason to believe that they'll pursue. Matt Harvey is going to be arbitration eligible at the end of this year, btw, so the economic reality of paying him is coming fast. Patience is cool to talk about, but I don't see how or why you're giving the Mets the benefit of the doubt here. All they've done is stash their money under the sofa so that Irving Picard doesn't rip it out of their hands.

As far as knowing what the shot is, the road seems pretty clear, no? They need to keep the team afloat while hoping that the Nationals roster hates each other enough to sink the season in DC. It's fine if Sandy doesn't want to trade the farm for Castro, but he can't find someone who can turn a double play, if only to keep Harvey from having a stroke?

I'm not trying to impugn your knowledge of the team at all, just stating that your expectations for the team are tempered via the luxury of not being in a market saturated by Mets propaganda.

Those are ads, not short films directed by Goebbels.

In related news, when you drink Coors Light, a high speed train will not magically appear and carry you to a land full of bikini clad whores in the mountains.

I understand the need for patience, but there's no logic behind that with this franchise. Who's coming up soon to save the day? Plawecki and Herrera are already here by necessity and they're not particularly close to ready. Matt Reynolds? Nimmo?

You don't bankrupt something that isn't even built yet because one facet is ahead of schedule. But sure, let's trade Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano again. Really, those moves have always worked out so well in the past.

Patience is cool to talk about, but I don't see how or why you're giving the Mets the benefit of the doubt here. All they've done is stash their money under the sofa so that Irving Picard doesn't rip it out of their hands.

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt because Alderson flipped the franchise in 5 years and we have the best young pitching staff in baseball, the team has been plagued by injuries, which for some bizarre reason you refuse to acknowledge, and it's June. They've earned some leeway on the year, regardless of how much you feel brainwashed by the Wilpons.

As far as knowing what the shot is, the road seems pretty clear, no? They need to keep the team afloat while hoping that the Nationals roster hates each other enough to sink the season in DC. It's fine if Sandy doesn't want to trade the farm for Castro, but he can't find someone who can turn a double play, if only to keep Harvey from having a stroke?

**** the team. Teams come and go. You keep a franchise afloat with a farm system. Period.

Those are ads, not short films directed by Goebbels.

In related news, when you drink Coors Light, a high speed train will not magically appear and carry you to a land full of bikini clad whores in the mountains.

You don't bankrupt something that isn't even built yet because one facet is ahead of schedule. But sure, let's trade Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano again. Really, those moves have always worked out so well in the past.

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt because Alderson flipped the franchise in 5 years and we have the best young pitching staff in baseball, the team has been plagued by injuries, which for some bizarre reason you refuse to acknowledge, and it's June. They've earned some leeway on the year, regardless of how much you feel brainwashed by the Wilpons.

**** the team. Teams come and go. You keep a franchise afloat with a farm system. Period.

You snide little academic!

When we're sitting here in two years, when Boras puts Matt Harvey onto the Yankees roster, when Brandon Nimmo is a slap-hitting, .236 average-having stiff, when DeGrom is on Jim Rome playing Meat Puppet songs after a Zito-sequel meltdown, when Jeffy is telling the papers that Gavin Cecchini is "just like Jeter," when Alderson is still talking about "the process," when Syndegaard is calling Mets manager Joe Girardi an a$$hole for pulling him at 73 pitches, when you and your strat-o-matic dweeb friends are talking about all that low-A depth that Alderson put together, when Fred is being pulled in front of the SEC to talk about his portfolio again, then you'll start to understand, my homie.

When we're sitting here in two years, when Boras puts Matt Harvey onto the Yankees roster, when Brandon Nimmo is a slap-hitting, .236 average-having stiff, when DeGrom is on Jim Rome playing Meat Puppet songs after a Zito-sequel meltdown, when Jeffy is telling the papers that Gavin Cecchini is "just like Jeter," when Alderson is still talking about "the process," when Syndegaard is calling Mets manager Joe Girardi an a$$hole for pulling him at 73 pitches, when you and your strat-o-matic dweeb friends are talking about all that low-A depth that Alderson put together, when Fred is being pulled in front of the SEC to talk about his portfolio again, then you'll start to understand, my homie.

Preach

This is all going to happen.  But patience though, dude. 

Ok this team has the worst defense in the league maybe- it is official

It's a joke.  Terrible bats, worst defense and ruining possibly the best rotation this franchise has ever seen.

The young pitchers will all leave.  All of them. 

Well color me sold! I did not see the benefit of packaging these guys together for Ben Zobrist before. But now, now I see the error of my ways.

Tom : Alderson :: stoicsentry : Idzik

The Mets have dropped seven consecutive games and fallen under the .500 mark — a swift fall from the high that came along with an 11-game winning streak back in April. Still, as Harper notes, the team’s rotation is too good to remain idle and hope for improved performance and/or better health. Harper spoke to Alderson about the need to make a move, with the GM telling him, “It would be nice to do something if we could to improve this team and give it a psychological boost.” According to Harper, Alderson made it clear that he understands the urgency to make some kind of move to help the team.

OMG ROBOT SANDY DEMURS.

Of course, that was in a piece about going after Zobrist and that paragraph was immediately followed by one in which Sandy says that they'll be outbid for him.

I take it your not thrilled with trading for a 34 year old, clearly on the decline, having the worst season of his career? 

Archived