2015 Mets thread!

adb280z

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is savage homicide

There but for the grace of Selig go the New York Mets

By Howard Megdal 2:37 p.m. | Oct. 16, 2013

LOS ANGELES—Mets fans could be forgiven for watching the Los Angeles Dodgers in the National League Championship Series, and thinking that the Dodgers' story could easily be unfolding at Citi Field.

After all, Major League Baseball managed to force out Dodgers owner Frank McCourt, while extending a loan to Fred Wilpon and his partners that kept them afloat financially.

The two were very different, insisted Bud Selig, commissioner of baseball, back in 2011. He never explicitly said why, of course, suggesting distinctions that largely boiled down to intent.

McCourt looted the Dodgers for his own financial gain, lowered payroll drastically, and his only way out of his own financial mess was to use the equity in rapidly expanding television value, something Selig rejected.

By contrast, according to this thinking:

"In New York, the Wilpons -- Fred and his son Jeff -- generally have tried to act in the best interests of their team for 30 years," Jon Heyman wrote back in April 2011. "They certainly haven't used the club as their personal piggy bank, which is what Frank McCourt appears to have done in his seven years in Los Angeles."

Yes, well, about that. In March 2012, Wilpon and his partners sold minority shares in the team, not for any gain for the Mets, but simply to stay afloat. $110 million of that $240 million went to pay down some principal on a massive loan against the team, the rest to pay back loans from Major League Baseball and Bank of America that kept them from insolvency, along with debt service.

And even that minority sale, largely to S.N.Y., came in exchange for the Mets extended their way below market television deal with S.N.Y. Put another way, the Mets monetized their local television deal like so many other teams, but used it to hold onto the team.

You know, like Frank McCourt tried to do.

As for that payroll, which was over $140 million in 2011: it was in 2013, functionally, lower than McCourt's $83 million that was so untenable for Major League Baseball back in 2011. That's a bigger gap than it even seems, with salaries climbing in the intervening years. This, despite Mets ownership borrowing another $160 million against their stake in S.N.Y., something only worth as much as it is thanks to the below-market television rights deal the network enjoys with the Mets. And payroll, incidentally, looks to be dropping this winter, even more, as Mets ownership figures out how to navigate that large loan against the team.

“I keep reading they’re similar but they’re clearly not similar,” Selig said in April 2011. “Anyone who portrays that as similar is wrong.”

They're sure not similar anymore. In the 2011 offseason, while the Dodgers could offer Matt Kemp eight years, $160 million as part of the course of normal business operations during a bankruptcy, Jose Reyes headed elsewhere as the Mets lined up a bridge loan to stay afloat until March.

Dodger Stadium gave thunderous cheers to Adrian Gonzalez Tuesday night when he lined an R.B.I. single down the right field line. Gonzalez, acquired from the Red Sox, is due another $106 million over the next five years. Kemp is injured. Doesn't matter: the new Dodgers ownership is willing, and able, to spend whatever it takes to get to the playoffs. The team's best hitter, Hanley Ramirez, was acquired as a salary dump from the Miami Marlins, earning $15.5 million this year, and $16 million next year. The team's Game 5 pitcher, Zack Greinke, signed last winter for six years, $159 million. The most exciting player they have is Yasiel Puig, purchased by new Dodgers ownership as, essentially, a seven-year, $42 million lottery ticket.

And if he hadn't paid off, they'd just go out and get somebody else. They can afford to, and you can argue, given the link between payroll and attendance (certainly reflected at Dodger Stadium), they can't afford not to.

Mets ownership, meanwhile, can't afford much of anything these days.

Bud Selig is right, finally. The situations sure are different. Why'd that happen again?

If Matz keeps this up he may be in line for a massive payday 5 years from now, the Wilpons better think ahead and start the process now….the process being, leak that he has an attitude problem, is a womanizer, a party boy, very cocky and OH NO!! spotted at a Ranger game!

Collins on Harvey " Deal with it…We've got the break coming up if he doesn't want 6 days off he can go pitch in Brooklyn I think they have room, I'll talk to them'….wow..just wow, has a generational talent like Harvey ever been goated , taunted and treated so disrespectfully in the history of this city?…a career loser like Collins going after him like this?…I know the Wilpons are the ones giving the marching orders here and Collins is just following but really?,,,there has been a smear campaign against this kid since the minute Jeffey realized he was going to command 150-200 million on the open market, its nothing more than a political campaign to get the average fan to want Harvey and his ' attitude ' gone so they don't have to pay him….this is an absolute crime that this is happening it really is….the worst owners in the history of this town…a despicable disgrace.

Really good interview out here with Epstein today. Said anyone who does a deal right now is probably going to get shafted because the market isn't hot enough yet due to the fact that it's not close enough to the deadline. Almost verbatim said this is basic supply and demand sh*t.

But hey. What does he know.

Really good interview out here with Epstein today. Said anyone who does a deal right now is probably going to get shafted because the market isn't hot enough yet due to the fact that it's not close enough to the deadline. Almost verbatim said this is basic supply and demand sh*t.

The really smart GM's are panicking and forcing trades. Just look at all those deals being done

Hey guys, Mets got shut out again.  Just incase you didnt know. 

Haha.  The nature of a .500 team.  One day a AAA call-up performs well, we win 3-0, and we're awesome again.  Next day get shutout, we suck again. 

Haha.  The nature of a .500 team.  One day a AAA call-up performs well, we win 3-0, and we're awesome again.  Next day get shutout, we suck again. 

They suck.  One game here and there doesnt change that.  This team doesnt stand a chance at the WC anymore.  

It's nice they're above .500 but they're not a good team.  They do 1 thing well, pitch.  That's it.  Defense and offense are a joke. 

Haha. The nature of a .500 team. One day a AAA call-up performs well, we win 3-0, and we're awesome again. Next day get shutout, we suck again.

Not to worry, anyone that's been watching the Mets long enough knows that depleting the farm system for 2-3 players should solve all of that.

No major trades are going to made now- too many teams still will think they are in it.

The rest of schedule in July after the break is brutal- if they can within distance after that stretch we might have  a chance

No major trades are going to made now- too many teams still will think they are in it.

The rest of schedule in July after the break is brutal- if they can within distance after that stretch we might have  a chance

What's the most we can get for Niese?  I'd be pleased with a middle infielder who can play some semblance of defense and returning to a 5-man rotation.  Kill 2 birds kind of thing....

What's the most we can get for Niese? I'd be pleased with a middle infielder who can play some semblance of defense and returning to a 5-man rotation. Kill 2 birds kind of thing....

If he has another outing like his last two I'd be shocked if we couldn't get that at the deadline. He's been on fire recently.

If he has another outing like his last two I'd be shocked if we couldn't get that at the deadline. He's been on fire recently.

Same here, but it seems execs are skeptical?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/jon-niese

Jon Niese has posted stellar results of late, but Andy Martino of the New York Daily News writes that a run of six straight starts has done little to restore the trade value of the Mets lefty. “It changes nothing for me,” an NL exec told Martino. “Stuff has gotten lighter every year. The Mets are going to tell everyone it’s as good as ever to keep trade value high.” A second evaluator told Martino, “I would assume GMs wouldn’t overreact to recent performance, and would consider the long term picture along with health and the financial commitment.” Niese’s hot streak — he has a 2.41 ERA over his past six starts — came up in yesterday’s MLBTR Chat, though I offered a similar take; six starts does little to override a history of shoulder issues, and Niese’s secondary stats haven’t been as impressive as his ERA in that time anyhow.

What's the most we can get for Niese?  I'd be pleased with a middle infielder who can play some semblance of defense and returning to a 5-man rotation.  Kill 2 birds kind of thing....

Mets are going to have excess bullpen help also available. Mejia, Parnell, Black, etc.

It is a shame that Montero did not stay healthy, because he should be a nice chip also.

Archived