2015 Mets thread!

adb280z

Great win- the Mets win with pitching= that is their history and how the team is built for the long term

What Alderson has done, with limited funds and resources, is simply amazing!  He has set up the Met organization with a plethora of young vibrant fireballs that will translate into a competitive team for years to come. Dare I say, this could be the best group of arms this organization has ever developed.  The best is yet to come!

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What Alderson has done, with limited funds and resources, is simply amazing!  He has set up the Met organization with a plethora of young vibrant fireballs that will translate into a competitive team for years to come. Dare I say, this could be the best group of arms this organization has ever developed.  The best is yet to come!

Depends on what bats he acquires this off season.   Murphy, Cespedes will both likely be gone and that would be awful for this line-up.

Wright and Cuddyer have been very inconsistent and Duda is what he is....a streaky bat who goes into a coma when not on fire. Definitely a conversation for another day but Sandy has work to do this winter or the line-up could look like the first 2/3 of this season.

Big story yesterday when all the dust settled was how tired Thor was. He's a gametime decision for game 2 now and if he can't throw he'd go game 4. I'm torn on this one, on the one hand I think if he can't go, it puts us in as heavy favorites for both games 3 and 4, but it also means he'll only get one start this series.

Puts a lot more pressure on Harvey too, he has to pitch two quality games if this is how it goes down.

I heard in the car that Thor has been announced as good to go for game two. The issue he had was soreness two days after his last start and Terry wanted to see if the same held true after Thursday nights work.

Total pressure-free game tomorrow considering we'll be heavy favorites with deGrom on the mound in game 3 and nobody is expecting us to beat Arrieta.

I have sat at Shea and Citi so many ******* times, and before every game I sit there hoping I'll see a guy hit the apple today. That was awesome.

I honestly would start Matz today, and have DeGrom and a well rested Thor for game 3 and 4 against 2 mediocre pitchers. Matz is capable of thrwoing a gem, and there would be no pressure. Familia has to be unavailable tonight, so even if Noah throws a great 6, cant see him going more after pitching Thursday, and I don't think the pen can get 3 innings without familia.

I honestly would start Matz today, and have DeGrom and a well rested Thor for game 3 and 4 against 2 mediocre pitchers. Matz is capable of thrwoing a gem, and there would be no pressure. Familia has to be unavailable tonight, so even if Noah throws a great 6, cant see him going more after pitching Thursday, and I don't think the pen can get 3 innings without familia.

Excepting one start, Thor has been an absolute monster since he came back from the extended rest. You have to try and get two starts out of him.

I'd rather Matz pitch on the road, he was wound up way too tight last start. 

Excepting one start, Thor has been an absolute monster since he came back from the extended rest. You have to try and get two starts out of him.

I'd rather Matz pitch on the road, he was wound up way too tight last start. 

Fair point. I just think they are in for a very tough matchup tonight, desperate Cubs team with Arietta on the mound, somewhat short rest for Thor, and no Familia. The deck is highly stacked against them. I would be feeling damn good with deGrom and Thor in game 3 and 4, and take my chance with Matz tonight against them.

Fair point. I just think they are in for a very tough matchup tonight, desperate Cubs team with Arietta on the mound, somewhat short rest for Thor, and no Familia. The deck is highly stacked against them. I would be feeling damn good with deGrom and Thor in game 3 and 4, and take my chance with Matz tonight against them.

I was thinking they should consider conceding the Arrieta start too and then have deGrom and Thor be heavy favorites for games 3 and 4. The problem is I don't know if you can take that risk. If this does go 7 from a managerial standpoint I think you have to organize it so Thor or deGrom is up there for the clincher. The good thing about the way this is playing out is that Matz will get some relief work today, so between him and Tolo the 7th and 8th should be covered.

I was thinking they should consider conceding the Arrieta start too and then have deGrom and Thor be heavy favorites for games 3 and 4. The problem is I don't know if you can take that risk. If this does go 7 from a managerial standpoint I think you have to organize it so Thor or deGrom is up there for the clincher. The good thing about the way this is playing out is that Matz will get some relief work today, so between him and Tolo the 7th and 8th should be covered.

Yeah, I am not even saying concede the start necessarily. I just think Thor goes 5, 6 max, and even if he is awesome 3-4 innings in the pen with no Familia is not a good proposition against that offense. Its more of a roll the dice that Matz throws a gem, and if not, we are setup fantastic to take the next two. But your point is a good one.

Also worth noting that despite how good the Cubs have been offensively, they're one of the worst teams in the league against high fastball pitchers. With Thor throwing 100 consistently we definitely stand a chance to win tonight.

I think with any of our 4 pitchers we have a chance to win any night, they are that good. It is going to be very interesting to see how Arietta looks tonight. He was very bleh his last outing, and has 260 innings this year. If he is at the top of his game, he will be tough to beat, if we can score 3-4 runs, I think we have a very good chance of winning. Bullpen scares the crap out of me still.

Yeah, I am not even saying concede the start necessarily. I just think Thor goes 5, 6 max, and even if he is awesome 3-4 innings in the pen with no Familia is not a good proposition against that offense. Its more of a roll the dice that Matz throws a gem, and if not, we are setup fantastic to take the next two. But your point is a good one.

Who has said no  Familia tonight? He only threw 21 pitches last night. Should be good for an inning, with a day off tomorrow.

I think with any of our 4 pitchers we have a chance to win any night, they are that good. It is going to be very interesting to see how Arietta looks tonight. He was very bleh his last outing, and has 260 innings this year. If he is at the top of his game, he will be tough to beat, if we can score 3-4 runs, I think we have a very good chance of winning. Bullpen scares the crap out of me still.

Barring an early disaster the only relievers we're seeing tonight are Matz and Tolo. Hard to say how either will do but certainly not cause for panic as if it were Reed and Clippard.

I saw this on a Mets forum, I hope its not true, but they said between the 2 innings Thursday and the 4 outs last night he was probably not available tonight.

All Collins said last night was that he wasn't sure. Aside from that it's just people panicking and I think anyone trying to predict this sh*t is just guessing, because even the Mets don't know what the deal is. Have to remember that excepting deGrom, every single good young arm that the Mets have are being asked to do things they have never done. Relief work, irregular rest...etc. We didn't even know who would be starting game 2 until last night. It's just too easy to sit back and say "the Mets should do x" from a rotational and closing standpoint. There's no textbook for any of what the Mets have to work with; all young arms, 2 whom have had TJ surgery, and another 2 who are light years beyond total innings they have ever pitched. Familia pitched the first six-out save of his career and followed it up 48 hours later with a four-out save. Who knows? The guy is one hell of a natural athlete so maybe he's good to go. Best you can do is just trust that the organization that knows them best is best equipped to make that decision, and honestly it's hard to rip them for much right now. They've handled the pitching pretty damn well thus far.

I saw this on a Mets forum, I hope its not true, but they said between the 2 innings Thursday and the 4 outs last night he was probably not available tonight.

Familia there only 21 pitches on Thursday. I have seen the Mets throw him 3 consecutive days on 20 pitches.

I guess anything is possible, but I would think Familia is available for 20 pitches tonight.

All Collins said last night was that he wasn't sure. Aside from that it's just people panicking and I think anyone trying to predict this sh*t is just guessing, because even the Mets don't know what the deal is. Have to remember that excepting deGrom, every single good young arm that the Mets have are being asked to do things they have never done. Relief work, irregular rest...etc. We didn't even know who would be starting game 2 until last night. It's just too easy to sit back and say "the Mets should do x" from a rotational and closing standpoint. There's no textbook for any of what the Mets have to work with; all young arms, 2 whom have had TJ surgery, and another 2 who are light years beyond total innings they have ever pitched. Familia pitched the first six-out save of his career and followed it up 48 hours later with a four-out save. Who knows? The guy is one hell of a natural athlete so maybe he's good to go. Best you can do is just trust that the organization that knows them best is best equipped to make that decision, and honestly it's hard to rip them for much right now. They've handled the pitching pretty damn well thus far.

agree on all points, hopefully he is available.

Familia there only 21 pitches on Thursday. I have seen the Mets throw him 3 consecutive days on 20 pitches.

I guess anything is possible, but I would think Familia is available for 20 pitches tonight.

I was thinking what if they used Thor, deGrom, Matz, and/or Familia for 2-3 innings each and have them all available two days later in Chicago.

Archived