2015 Mets thread!

adb280z

Truth be told Wright should walk into the front office and forfeit like $6 million per to Murph. If it weren't for him the big story of this postseason would be Wright completely disappearing when the offense needed him most, and between this year and '06 he'd get the choker label. Instead nobody cares because Daniel Murphy turned into Babe Ruth so who gives a sh*t about anything else.

Pretty much.  Is it true Wright asked to be benched by Collins, and Terry refused?

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Adam Rubin ESPN Staff Writer 

Terry Collins says Matt Harvey's right triceps is "pretty sore and pretty swelled up." Right now it's a go for Game 5, but still some uncertainty. Bartolo Colon, Jon Niese in reserve.

Pretty much.  Is it true Wright asked to be benched by Collins, and Terry refused?

Collins said Wright asked if he thought he should be moved lower in the order, and Collins thought about it and decided that 1) There's nobody really else to hit in that spot right now considering Cespedes is doing just as poorly and 2) He thinks the team needs his presence at the top of the lineup. Also said he thinks having to face Greinke and Kershaw for a week straight ****ed with his swing.

We'll see. Sheffield was doing a bit last night on this and he said he thinks Wright straightened his hips out finally last night and he thinks he'll be fine the rest of the way. And Wrigley is certainly the right ballpark to help a hitter get going. Worth noting that it's going to be a windy week, so I'd expect some runs the next 3 days.

My only fear is that if they get the wind again it definitely favors the Cubs. They had a few hits these first two games that would have been HRs at Wrigley, but then again I guess we did too.

I didn't get all this Cubs  having the much superior offense talk at the start of the series and I still don't.  Unless I am reading the wrong stats, the Mets were better than the Cubs this season in just about every offensive category including HR's.... and that's with the lame line-up we trotted out there for over half the season.

The Cubs have a lot of young talented bats that are susceptible to the strikeout which is what the Mets SP strength is.  The series is far from over but the Mets are not at a disadvantage in any match-up, statistical comparison, weather related discussion or anything else someone wants to drum up.

I didn't get all this Cubs  having the much superior offense talk at the start of the series and I still don't.  Unless I am reading the wrong stats, the Mets were better than the Cubs this season in just about every offensive category including HR's.... and that's with the lame line-up we trotted out there for over half the season.

The Cubs have a lot of young talented bats that are susceptible to the strikeout which is what the Mets SP strength is.  The series is far from over but the Mets are not at a disadvantage in any match-up, statistical comparison, weather related discussion or anything else someone wants to drum up.

The Cubs are like the Dolphins, any semblance of them being good and their fanbase and the media tend to really hype them up. Pretty much why Vegas favored them after the division series finished up, you have to make them favorites because people bet them. That said their lineup is definitely going to be legit for a long time, but the one guy who kept saying this is a strikeout team and that favors the Mets considering their pitching before this series was Olney.

No excuses going forward for sure. Teams that win the first 2 at home win over 3/4 of the time, but given the pitching mismatches over the next 2 days the odds have to be more in our favor than that, so there is absolutely no excuse for the Mets to not put themselves in a position to close this out. The weather probably favored the pitchers, sure; but what kind of excuse is that? The Cubs trotted out a $150 million pitcher for game 1 and a Cy Young candidate for game 2. It's not like we were going up against newbs. Bottom line is we just beat them, plain and simple. What the Mets have been doing considering the pitching they've been facing is historic, and anyone who can't tip their cap to it I find annoying. When all is said and done we are 4-1 against the top 3 Cy Young candidates this year. No team has ever done this in history.

I think my fear of the Cubs scoring is that our power guys have all been slumping so bad. Wright, Yo, Duda...etc.

Probably the right decision, sadly.  Bring back Cespedes, take the compensatory pick for Murph.

This happened recently with another team...cant remember who but the team kept saying the same thing but the player stayed hot in the playoffs and the fans clamored for him and got resigned.  

I dont see that happening with Murph because I think a glove is the priority at 2nd base with this staff moving forward and as it probably should be.  But even as probably his biggest hater out there, I'm kind of warming up to it.  He is a hard out, he works counts like a mother and if this is seriously some new found power that we're seeing, maybe they give it some serious thought. 

It could be a motivation tactic too.

I know I shouldn't be bringing up any more Cespedes/Murphy stuff just hours before first pitch, but I'll forget about it later if I don't ask the question now.

I was comparing Murphy and Cespedes' WAR ratings just to see if there was a significant difference there.  Murphy's was 1.4, which isn't a big surprise.  But Cespedes' was "only" 2.3 in a Mets uniform this year.  He was 4.0 with Detroit, putting him at 6.3 overall.  That 2.3 seems low given how much of an offensive force he was.  He hit 18 bombs for Detroit in 427 plate appearances and 17 HR's for us in just 249 plate appearances.  Any explanations for this?

Probably the right decision, sadly.  Bring back Cespedes, take the compensatory pick for Murph.

Highly doubt they'll be getting a compensatory pick for Murphy, since they're not going to risk him taking the $15.8m qualifying offer if he can't find a satisfactory multi-year deal.  If he keeps up this pace throughout the postseason, maybe they roll the dice that some team has a short memory and offers him a very lucrative contract.  Not likely though...

On top of that, Cespedes can't be given a QO after having been traded during the season, so no compensation when he leaves either.

Didn't mean to be a Debbie Downer.... looking forward to some deGromination tonight.

Highly doubt they'll be getting a compensatory pick for Murphy, since they're not going to risk him taking the $15.8m qualifying offer if he can't find a satisfactory multi-year deal.  If he keeps up this pace throughout the postseason, maybe they roll the dice that some team has a short memory and offers him a very lucrative contract.  Not likely though...

On top of that, Cespedes can't be given a QO after having been traded during the season, so no compensation when he leaves either.

Didn't mean to be a Debbie Downer.... looking forward to some deGromination tonight.

Sherman reporting Mets will tender him. Who knows? It would be a minimal risk

Soler looked good there. Obviously deGrom is not on again tonight.

We're spoiled when we note that he's off after allowing a couple of solo HR's. Doesn't have his A game stuff but still has only allowed the two runs.

More concerned that we have let Cubs pitchers off the hook a couple of times when we could have taken the fight completely out of them as a team.  We've been a big hit away from busting this one open a few times. Let's hope we get another shot.

Archived