2015 Mets thread!

adb280z

So, uh, Hi. 

I was wrong about these Mets and their plans. I was wrong about Sandy. I was wrong about the way I thought the team should move forward. I made a bunch of foolish and short-sighted observations about the Mets franchise. Around 100 or so of those observations in this thread alone, I'd suspect, and I deserve any and all derision that comes my way. Not that I have any great import regarding the content of these threads, but I feel sh*tty about being a part of the chattering class at times. I am a pretty stoic guy for the most part, but I allow myself to be passionate about weird things like the Mets and Jets, and movies and the like--relatively trivial bullsh*t.

At times, this passion takes me to reactionary and silly places. With the Mets, this year, I've never been so happy to be so passionately wrong about something in my life. 

Anyway, by way of recompense to the members of this thread, to Sandy Alderson, and to help assuage the regret that I feel over losing faith in this team, I just made a $100 dollar donation to Wounded Warriors. I realize it's a weird way to acknowledge my earlier dickishness, but diverting some of that foolishness to help a worthy cause makes me feel less dopey. LGM.

don_zpszlm4iefl.jpg

Tom Shane, you are a good man. Yes, I said that.

One should never have to apologize for their views, if they believe them. And I believe that you fully believe the majority of what you say here. At least I think so.

If everyone had one view, this would be a pretty boring place. Some people need to embrace that notion.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, uh, Hi.

I was wrong about these Mets and their plans. I was wrong about Sandy. I was wrong about the way I thought the team should move forward. I made a bunch of foolish and short-sighted observations about the Mets franchise. Around 100 or so of those observations in this thread alone, I'd suspect, and I deserve any and all derision that comes my way. Not that I have any great import regarding the content of these threads, but I feel sh*tty about being a part of the chattering class at times. I am a pretty stoic guy for the most part, but I allow myself to be passionate about weird things like the Mets and Jets, and movies and the like--relatively trivial bullsh*t.

At times, this passion takes me to reactionary and silly places. With the Mets, this year, I've never been so happy to be so passionately wrong about something in my life.

Anyway, by way of recompense to the members of this thread, to Sandy Alderson, and to help assuage the regret that I feel over losing faith in this team, I just made a $100 dollar donation to Wounded Warriors. I realize it's a weird way to acknowledge my earlier dickishness, but diverting some of that foolishness to help a worthy cause makes me feel less dopey. LGM.

don_zpszlm4iefl.jpg

Tom thanks for doing that- sports is minor compared to people on the fiiring line trying to protect our country.

That's very classy of you. It's nice to see you finally acknowledge the error of your ways.

That said...

COULDN'T YOU HAVE WAITED TO DO THIS UNTIL AFTER THE WORLD SERIES??? THEY'VE BEEN THRIVING SINCE YOU BAILED ON THIS THREAD! WHO SCREWS WITH WHAT'S WORKING?? COME ON!!!

LOL exactly my thoughts.  We're screwed now!

So, uh, Hi. 

It was a pretty tough time to be a Mets fan from say 07 to around 12-13. Between Omar making really bad moves at the Mets level, and the whole Madoff incident, it was a pretty dark time. I was at the point where if they did not get rid of Omar when they did, I would have probably stopped following them, I was that frustrated, and I followed them through some pretty dark times before, as I have been a pretty passionate Mets fan since the late 70's.

As it turns out, Omar supplied the franchise with a lot of the talent that we are thriving off of today.

That said, I am not sure it would be what it is today with Omar. He probably does not get Thor and d'Arnough, and possibly trades away some of the other guys to try to salvage his bad free agent signing teams.

I will say I understood from day 1 what Sandy was trying to do, and I largely agreed with his plan. I know most fans were frustrated with the lack of spending, and at times I was too, but since Sandy got here, there was not any free agents I looked at as such a sure thing that I thought it made sense to overpay for them, which is what you need to do in FA. 

Classy move with the donation.

That's very classy of you. It's nice to see you finally acknowledge the error of your ways.

That said...

COULDN'T YOU HAVE WAITED TO DO THIS UNTIL AFTER THE WORLD SERIES??? THEY'VE BEEN THRIVING SINCE YOU BAILED ON THIS THREAD! WHO SCREWS WITH WHAT'S WORKING?? COME ON!!!

I thought the same thing when I saw T0m's post.  Is he inadvertently trying to **** things up for the Mets?

Mets set their World Series rotation

The New York Mets are expected to start Jacob deGrom (3-0, 1.80 ERA) in Game 1 of the World Series (Olney, Oct. 23).

Noah Syndergaard (1-1, 2.77 ERA) will be the Game 2 starter while Matt Harvey (2-0, 2.84 ERA) and Steven Matz (0-1, 3.72) will throw Games 3 and 4.

The American League won this year’s All-Star Game, giving the eventual ALCS winner home field advantage throughout the World Series. All three of deGrom’s starts this postseason have come on the road.

If no one is skipped in the rotation, deGrom would be in line for Game 5 at Citi Field while Syndergaard and Harvey could get the ball in Game 6 and 7 on the road.

Surprised we're using Syndegaard in Game 2 given how good he's been at home.

I am as well...but I kind of like the strategy of pairing the rookies with the vets.  Vet/rookie on the road, Vet/rookie at home.  

I think going rookie/rookie on any leg of the series could be dicey and you cant be giving Matz a game 2 start. 

Surprised we're using Syndegaard in Game 2 given how good he's been at home.

True, but Collins said after the clincher that he was going back to the NLDS rotation, which makes sense.  A manager's thinking (when you have 3 good starters and everyone is rested), is to put the most veteran starter in game 3 because it's a swing game (either tied 1-1, up 2-0, or down 0-2), that's the pitcher you think is going, worst case scenario, to save your season.  Torre, La Russa, Bochy, etc, and all the old-time managers (like Collins) do that.

Collins is not putting Syndegaard in a "save our season" position.

Total side note (and probably I'm the only one who cares) that this will be the first all-blue World Series since the Yanks and Braves in 1999.  

Mets no longer use their black hats/jerseys (thankfully) like they did primarily when they faced the Yanks in 2000, so with either KC or Toronto, there will be mainly blue out there.

Total side note (and probably I'm the only one who cares) that this will be the first all-blue World Series since the Yanks and Braves in 1999.  

Mets no longer use their black hats/jerseys (thankfully) like they did primarily when they faced the Yanks in 2000, so with either KC or Toronto, there will be mainly blue out there.

It's been an all-blue NL playoffs.

And the black jerseys were badass.

It's been an all-blue NL playoffs.

And the black jerseys were badass.

If the Mets win they would have been all-blue throughout the whole postseason.  Good trivia to figure out what team did that last.

The Mets should never wear black, it's just against their color scheme.  The true blues are always the best.

This

Jacob-deGrom-New-York-Mets.jpg

versus this

056_todd_zeile-300x300.jpg

If Uribe is not back, I would like to see Lagares in Center, Ces in Left, and Comforto DH.

I think he may be hesitant about using that on Conforto. He's been something awful at the plate this postseason. 1/12, granted the one was a HR but he went hitless the rest of the series and then against Chicago. If Uribe is good to go I think you stick him back out there, he does such a good job of keeping the guys loose when he's playing, which they're going to need if they get KC.

I think he may be hesitant about using that on Conforto. He's been something awful at the plate this postseason. 1/12, granted the one was a HR but he went hitless the rest of the series and then against Chicago. If Uribe is good to go I think you stick him back out there, he does such a good job of keeping the guys loose when he's playing, which they're going to need if they get KC.

Agreed.  Conforto and Cuddyer make pretty nice pinch hit options.

Damn.

http://www.amazinavenue.com/2015/10/23/9602674/mets-world-series-roster-juan-uribe

Mets World Series news: Juan Uribe likely won't be on roster

Juan Uribe won't be on the World Series roster after missing both the Division Series against the Los Angeles Dodgers and the National League Championship Series against the Chicago CubsMarc Carig is reporting.

Uribe suffered a bone bruise in his chest during the September 20 game against the New York Yankees, and has appeared in only two games since then. He re-aggravated his injury against the Cincinnati Reds five days later.

In 44 games with the Mets, he hit .219 with six home runs and 20 RBIs. His role—a utility infielder and pinch hitter—has been filled by Kelly Johnson, who has one hit in six at-bats in the postseason.

In reality, the need for a utility infielder—albeit one with pop—will be low in the World Series. Starters are expected to play all game, and with five full days off before the World Series starts on Tuesday and two off-days built in to the seven-game set, the Mets should be pretty well rested. Between two and four of the games will be played at the American League ballpark, meaning that double-switches and pinch-hitters will be rarely employed.

Agreed.  Conforto and Cuddyer make pretty nice pinch hit options.

Options are so limited with Cuddyer too because he can only play first. There's no way he can stick him back in the OF after what happened in LA. I wonder if he'll DH Murph or Johnsonat all to try and get Johnson's bat going. One of those three (Conforto, Cuddy, or KJ) would be huge if they could start hitting.

Its possible, but if it is between Cuddeyer and Conforto, I will take Conforto any day of the week.

Its possible, but if it is between Cuddeyer and Conforto, I will take Conforto any day of the week.

Who knows. Collins will go with a mix of the numbers and his gut like he usually does, and I'm cool with that. Guy's earned the right to do what he wants without us bitching about it anymore. Particularly with how he handled the pitching in both series. If he says it's Cuddyer's time, so be it.

Who knows. Collins will go with a mix of the numbers and his gut like he usually does, and I'm cool with that. Guy's earned the right to do what he wants without us bitching about it anymore. Particularly with how he handled the pitching in both series. If he says it's Cuddyer's time, so be it.

Cuddyer as a DH is ok but we can't chance his defense anymore after what we saw against LA.

One of Sandy's big Free Agent misses to date. Shame too as if he was anything close to his Colorado numbers our line-up would be even deeper.

I still think both he and Johnson will add a big hit somewhere in this series.  Too bad Uribe is out as well.

Terry hinted today about Harvey starting game one.

UPDATE:

Mets have not set their World Series rotation

Update Oct. 23, 2:30 pm: Contrary to earlier reports, Terry Collins has not finalized his World Series rotation (Dicomo, Oct. 23).

According to Marc Carig of NewsdayJacob deGrom and Matt Harvey will start Games 1 and 2 of the World Series. But who starts which game has not yet been determined.

Collins, who spoke with reporters briefly on Friday, expressed some concern about deGrom. “He’s been erratic with his command,” Collins said. “That, to me, is due to a little bit of fatigue.”

When asked if Harvey could throw three times in the World Series, Collins remarked “there’s a possibility.”

Syndergaard and Matz are reportedly slated to throw Games 3 and 4 at Citi Field.

I'm officially hoping for Toronto after the dweeb KC fan gloved the Moustakas "HR" inside the wall and lied to the reporter when it's all captured on camera.

Not only was his glove over the inside edge but he backhanded it - completely different than how he demo'd the catch to the reporter. 

Funny how 20 billion viewers can see exactly what happened but the fukwits whose job it is to make the correct call get it wrong.

F' KC.

Go Blue Jays!

I'm glad the Royals won. Bring on the best!

:**** **** **** fffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuccccckkkk!!!!:

Some really bad umpiring last night both on the field and in the NY replay booth.

As to who is the best:   I think the Royals are better than the Mets in the areas of team speed, defense and the bullpen bridge to Davis unless Clippard gets it together again. Really cannot understand what has happened to him.   Hopefully Terry gets creative and finds the hot hand to bridge the SP to Familia gap in the pen.

We have a big advantage in SP especially if we get the inconsistent of late version of Johnny Cueto.  I like our power bats better as well. 

The Royals remind me of the Cubbies a little in that they have a great gang mentality when things are going well but can go quiet and disappear offensively when being beaten. No one in their line-up is a superstar but they are all pretty much above average to good players. 

Oh and one more thing......we actually open next season in KC for their opener.  We can't be watching their WS Ring Ceremony......no way!!

WS ring for the Mets if they can split the games started by Cueto and Volquez and beat up the KC # 3 & 4 starters.

Some really bad umpiring last night both on the field and in the NY replay booth.

As to who is the best:   I think the Royals are better than the Mets in the areas of team speed, defense and the bullpen bridge to Davis unless Clippard gets it together again. Really cannot understand what has happened to him.   Hopefully Terry gets creative and finds the hot hand to bridge the SP to Familia gap in the pen.

We have a big advantage in SP especially if we get the inconsistent of late version of Johnny Cueto.  I like our power bats better as well. 

The Royals remind me of the Cubbies a little in that they have a great gang mentality when things are going well but can go quiet and disappear offensively when being beaten. No one in their line-up is a superstar but they are all pretty much above average to good players. 

Oh and one more thing......we actually open next season in KC for their opener.  We can't be watching their WS Ring Ceremony......no way!!

WS ring for the Mets if they can split the games started by Cueto and Volquez and beat up the KC # 3 & 4 starters.

Agree with all of this. Add to this the need for Duda and Cespedes to be disciplined in their approaches at the plate.If they're striking out with pitches in the dirt, or just weakly grounding out because they are trying to pull a HR we'll have a tough time winning  I would love to see them take a few pitches to the opposite field. If they come in hot the Mets take it in 5.

it will be tough for Grandy and Murphy to win this alone. Would also like to se Wilmer, Lagares and d'Anaud getting on base to keep turning over the lineup.  

Archived