REVIS IS FREE!!!!!! (ok, he will be Tuesday 4pm)......(All things Revis in here)

TNJet

You know what...You're right - This league doesn't have to follow any rules...people will complain for a week and it'll be over.  Pats were penalized lightly because they really didn't do anything...just a mistake.  blah, blah...

I really don't like the NFL anymore...

if the pats are found guilty of physically deflating a football after it was approved by a ref, the penalty will be at least a #1 and maybe the whole draft. He levied the largest fine he can bestow on NE and BB already. He docked the pats a 1st for having a camera on the sideline and not in a booth! just because he warned them not to.

If the jets are guilty of tampering the punishment will be the same as the SF and Detroit cases, a 6th or 7th rd pick and a switch of 3rds.  Even thought the jets and pats are bitter rivals and Detroit/KC were not even in the same conference.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What kind of pick are we talking about?

I honestly don't know.  Is there much a precedent for a seemingly harmless statement made by a mostly clueless owner?

I can't imagine it being more than a 6...But this league often defies logic...

The not knowing and the league's prior defiance of logic is precisely the point. But consider further, we're already going to be without a 5th or 6th round pick this year. So then it's down to our 7th or our 4th (or higher, which I couldn't see in a circumstance like this, or any that doesn't involve a HC or franchise QB or a "he is the team" level individual).

A 7th is pointless for Goodell. It's actually worse than pointless. Goodell either has to take the position there was tampering or there wasn't. If he says there was tampering, and then makes the punishment a 7th rounder, it's tantamount to endorsement of tampering by making the penalty so light.

He has to either say there was no tampering at all, and therefore no pick docked at all, or he has to make it a pick with some value. A 5th (or a 6th if it was high enough, like ours would have been) might be more appropriate if we had either one, but he can't dock us a pick we don't have. 

It's a real risk if we sign or go hard after Revis with a tampering charge already filed with the league over this very player.

If the jets are guilty of tampering the punishment will be the same as the SF and Detroit cases, a 6th or 7th rd pick and a switch of 3rds.  Even thought the jets and pats are bitter rivals and Detroit/KC were not even in the same conference.

That's what I was looking for...thanks.  Seems heavy but reasonable.

you might be right, although i can see goodell splitting baby with a light penalty saying no evidence of intent but pats are being docked a 4th/5th/whatever rounder for "failing to implement internal procedures to ensure league protocols are followed" regarding proper handling of game balls. 

What are you talking about? what protocols were not followed? Never mind having procedures? Please tell me what procedures are you referring to? 

If the Jets sign Revis, honestly, we deserve to lose a high pick for tampering.

And frankly, IMO, we deserve to have the re-acquisition of Revis bomb in our faces horribly.

He's not that good, he's not worth 16 million (ffs) and he he'll be a pain in the ass every year demanding more money or holding out. We don;t need one downside-of-career CB, we need three CB's with long-term starter potential.

There are days I just don't understand my fellow Jets Fans.

The almost manic obsession with Revis borders on battered spouse syndrome, tbqh.

Predicting Revis milks the Jets obsession to maximize his potential value, then signs elsewhere in yet another "**** you" to Jets Fans, this time a well-deserved one for being so insane.

That's what I was looking for...thanks.  Seems heavy but reasonable.

depends on whose team your a fan of, I think it is light in lieu of him being warned last year about his comments on desean jackson, philly did not file charges or he would have lost a pick last year. Jet fans just want him to be given a time out and maybe a 3 strikes and you will be punished warning.

What are you talking about? what protocols were not followed? Never mind having procedures? Please tell me what procedures are you referring to? 

Exactly.  If as Belichick stated, they deliver the ball at 12.5 and we know the refs did not record pre-game numbers, what protocol are they supposed to follow?  And if the weather deflation is a possibility, why doesn't the NFL have a protocol to say on days where the temperature is below 32 degrees balls need to be at 12.7.

The not knowing and the league's prior defiance of logic is precisely the point. But consider further, we're already going to be without a 5th or 6th round pick this year. So then it's down to our 7th or our 4th (or higher, which I couldn't see in a circumstance like this, or any that doesn't involve a HC or franchise QB or a "he is the team" level individual).

A 7th is pointless for Goodell. It's actually worse than pointless. Goodell either has to take the position there was tampering or there wasn't. If he says there was tampering, and then makes the punishment a 7th rounder, it's tantamount to endorsement of tampering by making the penalty so light.

He has to either say there was no tampering at all, and therefore no pick docked at all, or he has to make it a pick with some value. A 5th (or a 6th if it was high enough, like ours would have been) might be more appropriate if we had either one, but he can't dock us a pick we don't have. 

It's a real risk if we sign or go hard after Revis with a tampering charge already filed with the league over this very player.

Sad but true.

He needs to have it hurt to be effective.

depends on whose team your a fan of, I think it is light in lieu of him being warned last year about his comments on desean jackson, philly did not file charges or he would have lost a pick last year. Jet fans just want him to be given a time out and maybe a 3 strikes and you will be punished warning.

The fact that he was issued a warning last year is what makes the penalty concern larger for me. That, and even a casual fan knows Revis will need a new contract to remain with New England in 2016. I believe Woody knew this as well, even though I also believe he was not intentionally tampering. If he didn't know, then even his off-the-cuff comment would make no sense. He wouldn't say we'd love to have Darrelle (or any player) back if you know he's locked in to another team for the next 4 seasons. You say it about a player who might become available again, or maybe a retired player you wish you still had in his prime. But he wasn't reminiscing; he was specifically addressing his team's recent transaction(s) - or non-transaction in this case - and how he'd deal with it if he could get a do-over in the past or in the future.

He tampered. I do think it all goes away and he only gets a final stern warning if NE re-signs him. Or if NE releases him and the Jets make no effort to bring him back, then I also think most likely nothing will come of it (but even that's riskier for us).

But the Patriots are in total control here.  Although they knew they would have to renegotiate, they had the contract structured to pay him 20 million.  Although Revis can renegotiate, he is in his right to say "pay me what the contract says".  If NE says no and cuts him then its on them.  They cant cry the Jets tampered and Revis didn't want to take less money from them.  .  

Rules are in place and the Jets should be fined for discussing a player on a another team but it should not be a stiffer penalty if he signed with the Jets.

NFL should have already handed out punishment for this and deflate gate.

Sad but true.

He needs to have it hurt to be effective.

I don't like it as a Jets fan, but if it were two other teams and we (Jets fans) were all emotionally detached from the situation? C'mon.

An owner can't expect nothing if he publicly comments about acquiring another team's under-contract player; one who obviously needs a new contract from them in March or they're forced to release him and he then becomes a FA. He can't plant that seed into the player's (or his agent's) mind, then have NE's contract negotiations with Revis break down, and then go after the player as soon as he's available (just like Woody said he'd do in his press conference). Is there any doubt Belichick (and other NE "witnesses") would claim that during negotiations Revis's agent said, "If you don't pay us the whole football world now knows Woody Johnson will because he said so." The thing even a Jets fan would grudgingly have to admit is it's entirely likely that the Revis camp took this position and even said as much.

The appearance of this exact sequence of events would be so bad, I don't see how Goodell could let Woody off again if we signed him. He should be off-limits to us for this risk reason, and being honest about league integrity (of which there's little, in large part because of you NE douchebags) Revis should be off limits to us anyway. No team should be allowed to tamper with a player and be allowed to reap the rewards of having done so.

Truth is, that should be part of the league's arsenal for those violating tampering rules rather than just a fine or loss of a pick: that on top of any other potential punishment, you can't have him. A team could decide a player (or HC) is so valuable he's worth the punishment the league hands down. But if the league's punishment was to say the team cannot acquire that player or coach, and reverses the signing, then no one could profit from any known tampering.

It would also remove the sting of tampering to the wronged party. NE wouldn't have to worry about the Revis camp saying (during contract talks) that they'll just sign with the Jets if NE doesn't ante up more. NE can then just say the hell you will; they have Woody on camera so the Jets are off the table as an option by league rule no matter what Woody/Maccagnan would be willing to pay.

I am saying that I predict that Goodell will not accuse Pats of cheating, but rather a "lesser charge" to justify a slap on the wrist and then using a bs tampering charge to make the penalty have no bite--it's like when someone driving 40 mph over the limit pleads to "improper equipment." I'm a cynic.

By the way, if the Pats and Revis are smart, here is what they would do:

1. Allow Woody to **** himself via public comment. (done)

2. Revis camp floats rumours "Revis interested in returning to Jets". (done)

3. Pats and Revis "fail to reach agreement", hint because of Jets interest. (done)

4. Revis talks to Jets first and primarily. (seemingly done).

5. Jets are slapped with loss of draft pick to New England for tampering. (pending)

6. Revis resigns with the Pats for the exact amount he was planning to all along. (pending)

Revis gets his money, gets to stay with the Super Bowl winning Pats for another run, Jets are screwed out of a pick, which helps Revis and the Pats.

:shakehead:

Guess we'll see if it plays out this way or not.

The NFL allows contracts and cap rules to be circumvented  way too much.  HE signs a two year contract but everyone in the world knows its a one year deal.  Yes, I know that there are no guaranteed contracts in the NFL but stuff like this just another way to manipulate the system.

Patriots president Jonathan Kraft  described the second year as a placeholder.  Revis, who hasn’t commented on his situation, would describe it differently.  From the player’s perspective, the second year was aimed at allowing the Patriots to divide the signing bonus over two years, for cap purposes.  So, from the player’s perspective, the potential alternatives are:  (1) sign a new contract with the Patriots; or (2) be released by March 9 and sign a new deal elsewhere.

From the player’s perspective, the second year was aimed at allowing the Patriots to divide the signing bonus over two years, for cap purposes.  So, from the player’s perspective, the potential alternatives are:  (1) sign a new contract with the Patriots; or (2) be released by March 9 and sign a new deal elsewhere.

The biggest advantage to Revis was not allowing the Pats to hit him with the franchise tag.

1. Allow Woody to fuck himself via public comment. (done)

3. Pats and Revis "fail to reach agreement", hint because of Jets interest. (done)

5. Jets are slapped with loss of draft pick to New England for tampering. (pending)

6. Revis resigns with the Pats for the exact amount he was planning to all along. (pending)

Revis gets his money, gets to stay with the Super Bowl winning Pats for another run, Jets are screwed out of a pick, which helps Revis and the Pats.

Damn I sure hope not.

That's certainly one logical chain of events that could go down. 

The fact of the matter is that going after Revis isn't smart strictly from a football perspective, but also for the long term health of the franchise, both financially and talent-wise.  If we land him, Goodell has to come down hard on Woody for tampering.  We should, assuming Goodell wants to send a message (which he always does) lose a pick somewhere between rounds 1 and 3.  Basically, we'd end up trading away a high pick (possibly even the #6 overall) for a 30-year-old corner who is beginning (or soon will) the decline of his career and who will also cost us a massive portion of the cap room we have to spend.  We need those picks to help stock this team with talent for years to come, and losing a high one due to Woody's stupidity doesn't sound like a great plan to me.

This is all fine, but Revis is going to take the most money.   This might work if the Pats were willing to match the Jets offer but I think the Jets are going to price them out. 

If the Jets sign Revis, honestly, we deserve to lose a high pick for tampering.

And frankly, IMO, we deserve to have the re-acquisition of Revis bomb in our faces horribly.

He's not that good, he's not worth 16 million (ffs) and he he'll be a pain in the ass every year demanding more money or holding out. We don;t need one downside-of-career CB, we need three CB's with long-term starter potential.

There are days I just don't understand my fellow Jets Fans.

The almost manic obsession with Revis borders on battered spouse syndrome, tbqh.

Predicting Revis milks the Jets obsession to maximize his potential value, then signs elsewhere in yet another "**** you" to Jets Fans, this time a well-deserved one for being so insane.

He;s still better than pretty well any other FA Cb out there.  You don;t sign him unless he agrees to a mutii year iron clad deal.  You have to have a short memory in this league.  The jets are going to over pay someone this fa period is set up for that with the amount of cash floating around.  If not revis be preapared to have a jaw dropping reaction to an iupati deal, a guy that is not a good pass blocker.

woody knows letting revis go to the pats last year was bad for multiple reasons-woody watched teams shred our weak secondary weekly-we have TONS of money-I would offer 2 mill above pats and get deal done now-if the pats can afford to bring him back after already paying one secondary guy big money this week we are doing something very very wrong-yeah I get it they have a better qb than us but still they seem to improve their team every year while "not having any money to spend"

But the Patriots are in total control here.  Although they knew they would have to renegotiate, they had the contract structured to pay him 20 million.  Although Revis can renegotiate, he is in his right to say "pay me what the contract says".  If NE says no and cuts him then its on them.  They cant cry the Jets tampered and Revis didn't want to take less money from them.  .  

Rules are in place and the Jets should be fined for discussing a player on a another team but it should not be a stiffer penalty if he signed with the Jets.

NFL should have already handed out punishment for this and deflate gate.

Punishments like this have been handled during the league meeting in March. Both in the camera-gate and SF, Detroit tampering and SF and Denver cap punishments.

Detroit was forced to switch 3rds and give up a 6th because an assistant coach said that player(s) who were cut from KC would be welcomed by him.  An assistant coach could not sign a guy if he wanted to. This guy was not even a C0-OD. He did not name a player or even say what amount of pay would be reasonable, both of which Woody did, 10 months after being warned the last time. And you think it should just be a fine! What do you think Detroit or SF who got the same punishment would feel? 

Obvious they will make a offer. Now we find out if Revis JUST about money. Lower Pats offer vs higher offer form other team, Jets included.

Last deal might be wise to capitalize retire as Jet and all the main Media market might set him up for post career?

Archived