REVIS IS FREE!!!!!! (ok, he will be Tuesday 4pm)......(All things Revis in here)

TNJet

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am more concerned we are stopping our pursuit in free agents to get Revis.  This reminds me of when we tried to get Asomugha a few years ago and looked like fools. 

Yup. If signing Revis is a good football decision by Mccagnan and Bowles, cool. But if this is Woody Johnson putting his snout and checkbook where it doesn't belong, nothing has changed. If you want to bring back a corner, would rather sign Cro way cheaper and fill other holes. Revis is still a good cover corner, but his salary demands are way beyond what he could ever contribute here. 

Had hoped the new regime would sit Johnson down and tell him to STFU about how the team is run,  that this is a football team not a teenybopper band. Too freaking bad. The jets are still owned by a spoiled brat rich dope. 

nothing worse then getting your season ticket bill and the Jets asking you to pony up some money but are sitting on theirs just like last year

Woody you are testing my patience of a fan of 30+ years

another year like last year and I am done 

I am more concerned we are stopping our pursuit in free agents to get Revis.  This reminds me of when we tried to get Asomugha a few years ago and looked like fools. 

I don't posters like  yourself that don't realize that people can do more than 1 thing at a time. Just because they are in talks with Revis doesn't mean they also aren't in talks with other players. We have already added Brandon Marshall, resigned David Harris and just signed Seahawks starting Guard James Carpenter and FA hasn't even officially begun. 

until he takes less to stay with the pats

jets have not been active at all in FA-starting to get that same feeling I had last year-we pick up a WR and sit on our hands the rest of the time while others around us get better

clearly it is early but most of the big names dropping off the board many the jets "were interested in"-I am ok paying revis an extra two million as it improves us and hurts the pats

will suck watching them get better-watch they will sign andre johnson next 

Last year you really felt Idzik just wasn't playing.  They came out and said as much.

What's slightly concerning to me - is we are"active" we have been tied to a lot of players.   Problem is we keep losing, can't close.

That, to me, is the reason I'm slightly concerned.  Still have total faith in Mac/Bowlesn though...

No way does a team like the Patriots let a player like Revis walk. That's why they win championships. Jets are being used as pawns and that's why we are where we are.

They will and they do...

The reason they win championships is because they have one of the greatest QB's of all times.  (that and cheating) It's not BB, it's not their drafts, it's not their schrewd FA signings...it's Brady!

They cut their stars all the time...

Revis is coming to the Jets - I'm not saying this as a fan or as a Pats hater...Just that the Jets HAVE to spend a lot of money, let a lot of big names go elsewhere - they are giving Revis whatever it takes.  He's coming to the Jets....

And would he be willing to come back to us after winning a superbowl with the Pats? ....I want him back badly, he's a Jet at heart. I hate seeing him in another uniform...

I don't care about the cost. The Jets can afford it. They need someone back there who can cover and take away one option. Revis is that guy. I was sooooo pi$$ed at Idzik for not getting him last year that I saluted the billboard and the banner. Sign him for three years at whatever it takes and be done with it. 

Last year you really felt Idzik just wasn't playing.  They came out and said as much.

What's slightly concerning to me - is we are"active" we have been tied to a lot of players.   Problem is we keep losing, can't close.

That, to me, is the reason I'm slightly concerned.  Still have total faith in Mac/Bowlesn though...

Probably not GM/Woodys fault. We maybe offering more to players not choosing us.

Jets are in a slump playoff wise, no great QB, weather sucks, houses expensive, taxes (wives involved look at that crap)..

I remember a GM long time ago saying, Best recruiting tool in FA is a playoff caliber team with affordable housing and good schools ;)

Revis is coming to the Jets - I'm not saying this as a fan or as a Pats hater...Just that the Jets HAVE to spend a lot of money, let a lot of big names go elsewhere - they are giving Revis whatever it takes.  He's coming to the Jets....

Why would Revis want to leave a 12-4, Super Bowl-winning team and join a 4-12 team?

Pats won't even have to match whatever the Jets offer, all they have to do is be competitive and Revis stays in New England.

Probably not GM/Woodys fault. We maybe offering more to players not choosing us.

Jets are in a slump playoff wise, no great QB, weather sucks, houses expensive, taxes (wives involved look at that crap)..

I remember a GM long time ago saying, Best recruiting tool in FA is a playoff caliber team with affordable housing and good schools ;)

That's part of the job for a GM/Owner/HC - you gotta sell the players on joining your team.  Some are better at it than others - it's a skill set...

Why would Revis want to leave a 12-4, Super Bowl-winning team and join a 4-12 team?

Pats won't even have to match whatever the Jets offer, all they have to do is be competitive and Revis stays in New England.

Disagree Tx. A guy like Revis will go to the highest bidder.

Disagree Tx. A guy like Revis will go to the highest bidder.

I think Revis compensation will be in the $13-$15MM range.

I think if the Pats are within $2MM of whatever the Jets offer, he stays in New England.

Of course, the guaranteed money portion will also be a big factor, and I think the Jets are in a better position than the Pats with that.

For money. Pretty simple. I think if the moneys close he will stay but if someone blows him away he would easily leave your 12-4, Super Bowl winning team without hesitation. 

The Jets are be used as a tool by the Revis camp, I hate to say it teams like the Patroits will not let a player like Revis go.  Revis is a difference maker, the difference in winning a super bowl and not winning a super bowl with the right team.  By 4pm today there will be announcement that the Patriots' resigned Revis.

The Jets are be used as a tool by the Revis camp, I hate to say it teams like the Patroits will not let a player like Revis go.  Revis is a difference maker, the difference in winning a super bowl and not winning a super bowl with the right team.  By 4pm today there will be announcement that the Patriots' resigned Revis.

So what's the upside to this?

Just to upset Jet fans?  They may not like each other but that's just silly.  If the Pats had a deal in place with Revis they would have signed it already.  Revis is getting to the FA market - he may still end up with the Pats but there's nothing sinister here.  Revis wants the most money. 

and in all likelyhood - the Jets are going to give it him.

Just to upset Jet fans?  They may not like each other but that's just silly.  If the Pats had a deal in place with Revis they would have signed it already.  Revis is getting to the FA market - he may still end up with the Pats but there's nothing sinister here.  Revis wants the most money. 

The Jets are being used as leverage.  The Revis camp is trying to get the Patroits to up their offer so they bring in their arch rival to get as much as they can, I hope I am wrong but I strongly don't think so.

That's part of the job for a GM/Owner/HC - you gotta sell the players on joining your team.  Some are better at it than others - it's a skill set...

of course it is, but sometimes you just dont have the goods and fans need to understand a Jets GM is operating without a solid team or QB. And for family guys, the weather/housing doesnt impress 'some' of the players wives either. But if Jets offered more you cant blindly blame the GM, many factors out of his control. As we get better, make playoffs, have a legit QB, then the FA acceptance rate will get higher.

of course it is, but sometimes you just dont have the goods and fans need to understand a Jets GM is operating without a solid team or QB. And for family guys, the weather/housing doesnt impress 'some' of the players wives either. But if Jets offered more you cant blindly blame the GM, many factors out of his control. As we get better, make playoffs, have a legit QB, then the FA acceptance rate will get higher.

Agreed, but they also have to take some responsibility if they don't get the job done.

Agreed, but they also have to take some responsibility if they don't get the job done.

of course, all I am saying if, unlike Idzik, we are the highest bidder , you cant ignore we arent a attractive franchise at this point in time

The Jets are being used as leverage.  The Revis camp is trying to get the Patroits to up their offer so they bring in their arch rival to get as much as they can, I hope I am wrong but I strongly don't think so.

So, He's going back to the Pats regarldless of the Jets offer? 

I don't buy it.  He's taking the most money...I would take the opposite poitn of what you're saying - he's leaking that he'll take less from the Pats to up the Jet's (or anyone elses) offer.

I don't like it as a Jets fan, but if it were two other teams and we (Jets fans) were all emotionally detached from the situation? C'mon.

An owner can't expect nothing if he publicly comments about acquiring another team's under-contract player; one who obviously needs a new contract from them in March or they're forced to release him and he then becomes a FA. He can't plant that seed into the player's (or his agent's) mind, then have NE's contract negotiations with Revis break down, and then go after the player as soon as he's available (just like Woody said he'd do in his press conference). Is there any doubt Belichick (and other NE "witnesses") would claim that during negotiations Revis's agent said, "If you don't pay us the whole football world now knows Woody Johnson will because he said so." The thing even a Jets fan would grudgingly have to admit is it's entirely likely that the Revis camp took this position and even said as much.

The appearance of this exact sequence of events would be so bad, I don't see how Goodell could let Woody off again if we signed him. He should be off-limits to us for this risk reason, and being honest about league integrity (of which there's little, in large part because of you NE douchebags) Revis should be off limits to us anyway. No team should be allowed to tamper with a player and be allowed to reap the rewards of having done so.

Truth is, that should be part of the league's arsenal for those violating tampering rules rather than just a fine or loss of a pick: that on top of any other potential punishment, you can't have him. A team could decide a player (or HC) is so valuable he's worth the punishment the league hands down. But if the league's punishment was to say the team cannot acquire that player or coach, and reverses the signing, then no one could profit from any known tampering.

It would also remove the sting of tampering to the wronged party. NE wouldn't have to worry about the Revis camp saying (during contract talks) that they'll just sign with the Jets if NE doesn't ante up more. NE can then just say the hell you will; they have Woody on camera so the Jets are off the table as an option by league rule no matter what Woody/Maccagnan would be willing to pay.

This in a nutshell.  Revis is the poison well from which we cannot drink.

Archived