Drew Brees being shopped? (Unsubstantiated rumor)

bergenjets

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rumors abound again tonight. Allegedly, Brees is pissed over all the defections, but the Saints have made Brees and Brandin Cooks untouchable while putting everyone else up for sale. The assumption is that Brees can shoot his way out of town if he really wants.

As it relates to the Jets, they can always add two years onto Brees' contract, dispersing the cap hit.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=12434113&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F%22%7D

The case for trading Drew Brees

Aaron Schatz [ARCHIVE]

Football Outsiders | March 7, 2015

Drew Brees

Gregory Shamus/Getty Images

Drew Brees' time as a top-level NFL quarterback is running out.

This is not going to be a good offseason for the New Orleans Saints. The Saints have signed a number of big contracts in recent years, trying to return to the Super Bowl, and those moves have not worked out. Now it's time to pay the salary-cap piper.

Even after this week's moves to cut Pierre Thomas and restructure Jairus Byrd's contract, and taking into account the news reports that Marques Colston and Brodrick Bunkley have restructured or are in the process of restructuring their contracts, the Saints are still over the 2015 cap. They could save that money with other contract restructures (or cuts), but that would just do more to push dead money onto their cap in future years. The nature of the NFL is such that teams can always find a way to get under the cap, but each year, it will become more difficult to add new talent to the Saints roster. At some point, the whole thing will need to be blown up.

Why not just do it now?

We're used to the idea of "tanking" in other sports. The Philadelphia 76ers have amassed a roster filled with young but undeveloped talent, not to mention more second-round picks than there are stalls at Reading Terminal Market. The Houston Astros have spent the last couple of years trading nearly all of their veterans for young prospects. The Saints are in a unique position to try an experiment, and to see if such a strategy might work in the National Football League.

How could the Saints do this? By trading away Drew Brees.

I don't see how fantasizing about an elite QB who isn't available helps.

especially when we have a guy who is smart enough to LEARN from his past and the past of others to try to improve his game-UNlike the previous QBs that we were forced to watch under Rex Ryan's tenure. Amazing how Sanchez and Smith got worse and worse. Sanchez went from a guy who threw 26 TDs to becoming the laughingstock of all New York sports on one play. Geno Smith Mister Inconsistency who throws 3 Ints in one frigging quarter before finally getting benched.

Now we all know how half of the board totally discounts Ryan Fitzpatrick's abilities and there are even a few guys who still believe in, and want to SEE Geno starting in 2015. But as for me, I like the new guy and think he is good enough to win the division. That's right the same division with the World Cheaters in it. 

especially when we have a guy who is smart enough to LEARN from his past and the past of others to try to improve his game-UNlike the previous QBs that we were forced to watch under Rex Ryan's tenure. Amazing how Sanchez and Smith got worse and worse. Sanchez went from a guy who threw 26 TDs to becoming the laughingstock of all New York sports on one play. Geno Smith Mister Inconsistency who throws 3 Ints in one frigging quarter before finally getting benched.

Now we all know how half of the board totally discounts Ryan Fitzpatrick's abilities and there are even a few guys who still believe in, and want to SEE Geno starting in 2015. But as for me, I like the new guy and think he is good enough to win the division. That's right the same division with the World Cheaters in it. 

Folks always like to use the Trent Dilfer argument when saying you don't need an elite QB to win a Super Bowl.  The counter to that is ALWAYS that he had one of the 2 or 3 greatest defensive teams of all time that guided him to that title.  That team won games only scoring field goals and depending on defensive/ST scores.  As good as our D is, it's almost certainly not going to be THAT good.  Our offense, however, should be better.

Dilfer is still talked about as one of the best chalkboard/X&O's guys there has been.  He understood the game but his physical talent couldn't always produce what his mental abilities saw.  Fitzpatrick's smarts are known by everyone, but he's not exactly a Trent Dilfer or Chad Pennington physically.  He also will have a legit #1 WR to throw it to in Marshall and a REALLY good #2 in Decker.

I'm not claiming we're going to win any titles -- I've learned over the years that this is just the offseason and lots can change.  However...I don't think it's unrealistic to think this team can and probably should contend for the AFC East.  The favorites?  By no means -- even without their corners it's the Pats to lose, the Bills will be incredibly difficult defensively (and have some legit talent offensively with Watkins, McCoy, and perhaps Harvin) and if Tannehill improves the Dolphins will have a legitimate shot.

After the last few years, though...isn't it nice to at least have the illusion of being competitive?

I said it elsewhere.

#6 overall for Brees and the #31 they just got from Seattle. 

Brees as QB of NYJ. 

Seems so right.  

With the beast of a defense the Jets are building, it does seem logical to get the older veteran who can get us to the SB in one year. Then in the second round of the draft get the future QB and let him learn a year or two like Aaron Rodgers. Sounds like a plan to me.

Sanchez went from a guy who threw 26 TDs to becoming the laughingstock of all New York sports on one play. Geno Smith Mister Inconsistency who throws 3 Ints in one frigging quarter before finally getting benched.

It wasn't just the Butt Fumble. Rex undermined him in 2011 and 2012 when he decimated the offense and brought in Tim Tebow to 'compete' with him. Sanchez was on an upward arc, but Rex / Tanny took away several guys I have mentioned many times that hurt Sanchez' development. Not to mention OC's like Sparano and Mornhinweg after canning Schotty. Rex never had a plan offensively, just hope that his defense could keep the team in the game and that a FG would win in the end. Great plan Rex, hope you continue to think that way in Buffalo.

Adam Beasley ‏@AdamHBeasley 6m6 minutes ago

A source told me that Drew Brees was not happy with either Ben Grubbs or Kenny Stills. No coincidence that they're both gone.

They're getting rid of players that Brees didn't jive with. They aren't getting rid of him.

SO they trade away his #1 target and then he doesn't like his #2 target and he gets traded.

We at least have to inquire about Brees.  It doesn't hurt.

SO they trade away his #1 target and then he doesn't like his #2 target and he gets traded.

We at least have to inquire about Brees.  It doesn't hurt.

His #2 target was Colston and Cooks looked good enough last season to get more reps. Nick Toon was utilized toward the end of 2014 as well. They have weapons there. They aren't moving Brees.

His #2 target was Colston and Cooks looked good enough last season to get more reps. Nick Toon was utilized toward the end of 2014 as well. They have weapons there. They aren't moving Brees.

Stills was second in receptions and and 1st in yards but I do agree Cooks is on the way up.

Eh. Stills had more receptions and only 14 less targets. By the end of the year, especially, Stills was getting targeted more often.

Stills was second in receptions and and 1st in yards but I do agree Cooks is on the way up.

Eh. Stills had more receptions and only 14 less targets. By the end of the year, especially, Stills was getting targeted more often.

Sure, but he said targets. Stills is a good player, but I don't think he is irreplaceable. Jimmy Graham maybe, but not Stills.

Adam Beasley ‏@AdamHBeasley 6m6 minutes ago

A source told me that Drew Brees was not happy with either Ben Grubbs or Kenny Stills. No coincidence that they're both gone.

They're getting rid of players that Brees didn't jive with. They aren't getting rid of him.

If this were true, Jimmy Graham wouldn't be a Seahawk.

It wasn't just the Butt Fumble. Rex undermined him in 2011 and 2012 when he decimated the offense and brought in Tim Tebow to 'compete' with him. Sanchez was on an upward arc, but Rex / Tanny took away several guys I have mentioned many times that hurt Sanchez' development. Not to mention OC's like Sparano and Mornhinweg after canning Schotty. Rex never had a plan offensively, just hope that his defense could keep the team in the game and that a FG would win in the end. Great plan Rex, hope you continue to think that way in Buffalo.

Why don't people understand this!!!

Only Jets fans believed we had some kind of HOF talent on offense even in 2009 and 2010.  Thank God!!!  This group gets it and recognizes you need both good defensive and offensive players to play in this league and that guys like Plex, Mason and Tebow were never going to get it done....

I don't think I'd had a post in this thread because really just saw it all as BS and largely still do.  Was listening to Philly sports radio last night and they were talking Eagles draft and possible trade with the Jets (normally don't listen to the PM guys so not even sure who it was) and one of them just says.  "Hey, remember I told you this...Drew Brees to the Jets" then he does the dramatic pause BS.  The other guy asks him if it's a legit rumor and he replies with something along the lines of "when I was at the combine, somebody said that to me...he said 'don't be surprised if Drew Brees is a Jet next season' but I can't tell you who said it".

Probably nothing, but couldn't not share.

Lol...Drew Brees a Jet...man, I think the fanbase's collective head would blow up. This would be similar to the Brett Farve acquisition...Drew Brees is legit and one hell of a tough dude. Given the weapons we now have, if we got Drew Brees that would be a signal that we are ready to contend this year. All you need is talent and belief. Belief is being instilled by Bowles...talent would be there with Brees!

LL

They got back an offensive lineman to protect Brees. And I'm pretty sure it was more of a financial decision. Brees will be fine without Jimmy, who also had injury troubles at times.

Wow, you sure seem to have a lot of insider knowledge on the Saints!  Any player can be traded at any time, even the almighty Drew Brees.  I don't think it happens this offseason, but next year when he's 37 and he himself is financially strapping the Saints' future, he'll be moved.  Especially if they fail to make the playoffs.

Put aside that I believe there's no serious validity to this story other than wishful thinking (and I wish it, big time). But if there is even a hope, I will cry if we can't add him because we gave the bulk of his $19M to David Harris and Antonio Cromartie, then Maccagnan and Bowles should be fired in April. 

QB of the defense, lol. Who friggin' cares? Find another defender with an IQ over 100, like everyone else does. Our defense has let up plenty of scores, first downs, and general letdowns with the current or prior QB of the Defense out there every snap. We've needed a QB of the offense since November of 2008. Geez, his after-snap "strength" (of sorts) is run defense. BFD. We already had 3 decidedly above average run stuffers on the team up front, plus whatever Coples might yet offer. That is supposed to leave us the freedom to not entrench a dedicated run-stuffer as 3-down ILB. He is simply not the type of difference-maker that makes a bad defense good or a good defense great.

With just a stop-gap QB and Geno (plus probably an unready rookie), we aren't more serious contenders with Cromartie than without him. Brush ratings numbers aside all one wants; a new contract for a CB at $8M/year shouldn't be for one coming off a season where ranks around 50th in the league (and around 100th the year before that). He is also not the difference-maker that we need, and doesn't have a long future ahead of him to boot. Better off picking up 27 y.o. Maxwell at $2M/year more and keep him for 4-6 years. His cap # doesn't really climb to >$10M until year 3 anyway, by which time we'll be bidding $12-14M per for Cro's replacement.

Surprises can always happen to a team, for better or for worse (e.g. pick up Brees and he goes on IR week 2; Fitzpatrick can find the Fountain of Suddenly Really Good). That stuff notwithstanding, this team plus Brees and minus Cro/Harris is a SB contender right now. As it stands now we're a wildcard slot contender that will get weeded out in one of the 3 games before the SB if we even get that far.  So help me, if Brees goes to another team because we re-upped a couple of very replaceable has-beens...

I have to believe there is no truth to the rumors because no intelligent being would unnecessarily wipe out some $60M of cap space in a week, and not leave room for the only one available that's actually capable of singlehandedly changing a so-so team into a good one. Especially if talks began at the combine weeks before FA started. Seriously, no one could be that dumb. Sarcasm aside, Terry Bradway as GM would know better. If we made Herm the GM he'd know better.

Wow, you sure seem to have a lot of insider knowledge on the Saints!  Any player can be traded at any time, even the almighty Drew Brees.  I don't think it happens this offseason, but next year when he's 37 and he himself is financially strapping the Saints' future, he'll be moved.  Especially if they fail to make the playoffs.

Not really. Just reading the tea leaves. And if the Saints were going to trade Brees, why not do it now when they could still get decent value for him and he's healthy?

Not really. Just reading the tea leaves. And if the Saints were going to trade Brees, why not do it now when they could still get decent value for him and he's healthy?

If he has a strong year next year I don't see why they couldn't get a similar package of picks for him as they could this year.  It would especially make sense for them because next year's QB class is bound to be better than this one.  Then again we said that last year too, so......

Archived