Drew Brees being shopped? (Unsubstantiated rumor)

bergenjets

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Jets could pry Drew Brees loose from the Saints and we needed to clear cap space....would it be feasible at this point to go to Brick and Mangold and ask for a restructure to bring him in?

If you can get Brees, you got to everyone and ask for a restructure. Including Revis.

If you can get Brees, you got to everyone and ask for a restructure. Including Revis.

Trade Harris to Buffalo or whoever wants him. We didn't give him a signing bonus so it's a full $7.5M savings right there. Ditto to whoever we narrowly outbid for Cromartie, if his deal's guarantees are all (or almost all) salary rather than up front bonus.

Trade Fitz as part of the giveback to NO, who will now need a placeholder, to save another $3.25M (making Brees closer to a net $16M instead of feeling the full $19M). Pace & Cumb another $4M, Babin & Walls another $2.6M. But some of that savings goes back on the cap (savings is that amount minus the next guy, likely at league minimum, that gets pushed into the top 51 i.e. Pace & Cumb saves around $3M not $4M).

Basically what would need to be done is get a lynch mob together and skewer Bowles for insisting to his novice GM that Cromartie was a necessity at $8M when we already just had 2 expensive FA corners come in, plus 2 more talented young guys he ought to be able to coach up if he's half as good as advertised. Then beat up the GM who listened and offered up the contract. 

I'm choosing to take comfort in believing there is and was and will be absolutely 0% chance of this happening.

Put aside that I believe there's no serious validity to this story other than wishful thinking (and I wish it, big time). But if there is even a hope, I will cry if we can't add him because we gave the bulk of his $19M to David Harris and Antonio Cromartie, then Maccagnan and Bowles should be fired in April. 

QB of the defense, lol. Who friggin' cares? Find another defender with an IQ over 100, like everyone else does. Our defense has let up plenty of scores, first downs, and general letdowns with the current or prior QB of the Defense out there every snap. We've needed a QB of the offense since November of 2008. Geez, his after-snap "strength" (of sorts) is run defense. BFD. We already had 3 decidedly above average run stuffers on the team up front, plus whatever Coples might yet offer. That is supposed to leave us the freedom to not entrench a dedicated run-stuffer as 3-down ILB. He is simply not the type of difference-maker that makes a bad defense good or a good defense great.

With just a stop-gap QB and Geno (plus probably an unready rookie), we aren't more serious contenders with Cromartie than without him. Brush ratings numbers aside all one wants; a new contract for a CB at $8M/year shouldn't be for one coming off a season where ranks around 50th in the league (and around 100th the year before that). He is also not the difference-maker that we need, and doesn't have a long future ahead of him to boot. Better off picking up 27 y.o. Maxwell at $2M/year more and keep him for 4-6 years. His cap # doesn't really climb to >$10M until year 3 anyway, by which time we'll be bidding $12-14M per for Cro's replacement.

Surprises can always happen to a team, for better or for worse (e.g. pick up Brees and he goes on IR week 2; Fitzpatrick can find the Fountain of Suddenly Really Good). That stuff notwithstanding, this team plus Brees and minus Cro/Harris is a SB contender right now. As it stands now we're a wildcard slot contender that will get weeded out in one of the 3 games before the SB if we even get that far.  So help me, if Brees goes to another team because we re-upped a couple of very replaceable has-beens...

I have to believe there is no truth to the rumors because no intelligent being would unnecessarily wipe out some $60M of cap space in a week, and not leave room for the only one available that's actually capable of singlehandedly changing a so-so team into a good one. Especially if talks began at the combine weeks before FA started. Seriously, no one could be that dumb. Sarcasm aside, Terry Bradway as GM would know better. If we made Herm the GM he'd know better.

brees is was never available.  the saints just cleared some bad contracts.

brees isn't renegotiating for anybody, let alone the jets.

his cap number is $26,400,000

if the saints trade him, it's 14,800,000 in dead money on the cap, a disastrous, lose your job kind of number that prevents you from rebuilding the team after brees is gone

he was never available

brees isn't renegotiating for anybody, let alone the jets.

his cap number is $26,400,000

if the saints trade him, it's 14,800,000 in dead money on the cap, a disastrous, lose your job kind of number that prevents you from rebuilding the team after brees is gone

he was never available

His cap number for the Saints may be that high, but not for a new team. It's higher for New Orleans because they paid him all that bonus money. A new team isn't responsible for cap charges paid to a player by someone else.

Brees would cost a new team just what that new team pays him: his salary plus workout bonus, which is $19M.  A new team doesn't have to renegotiate for this to be so.

I know they could spread the dead money over 2 years if he was cut outright. Not sure about if he's traded. Regardless, the total is the same and if they dumped him they'd likely just as soon let it all hit this year (which is still more than a $10M net savings this year).

But as it's been said plenty, it's not happening.

His cap number for the Saints may be that high, but not for a new team. It's higher for New Orleans because they paid him all that bonus money. A new team isn't responsible for cap charges paid to a player by someone else.

Brees would cost a new team just what that new team pays him: his salary plus workout bonus, which is $19M.  A new team doesn't have to renegotiate for this to be so.

I know they could spread the dead money over 2 years if he was cut outright. Not sure about if he's traded. Regardless, the total is the same and if they dumped him they'd likely just as soon let it all hit this year (which is still more than a $10M net savings this year).

But as it's been said plenty, it's not happening.

cool, txs for the clarification.  I think they are actually reloading around him as the centerpiece.  

Trade Harris to Buffalo or whoever wants him. We didn't give him a signing bonus so it's a full $7.5M savings right there. Ditto to whoever we narrowly outbid for Cromartie, if his deal's guarantees are all (or almost all) salary rather than up front bonus.

Trade Fitz as part of the giveback to NO, who will now need a placeholder, to save another $3.25M (making Brees closer to a net $16M instead of feeling the full $19M). Pace & Cumb another $4M, Babin & Walls another $2.6M. But some of that savings goes back on the cap (savings is that amount minus the next guy, likely at league minimum, that gets pushed into the top 51 i.e. Pace & Cumb saves around $3M not $4M).

Basically what would need to be done is get a lynch mob together and skewer Bowles for insisting to his novice GM that Cromartie was a necessity at $8M when we already just had 2 expensive FA corners come in, plus 2 more talented young guys he ought to be able to coach up if he's half as good as advertised. Then beat up the GM who listened and offered up the contract. 

I'm choosing to take comfort in believing there is and was and will be absolutely 0% chance of this happening.

Idzik sucked. Get over it.

Whoa whoa whoa....Harris didn't get a signing bonus? That makes his deal a glorified one year deal. That is...much less hate able than advertised...The ILBs available this offseason mostly suck - only ones I really like are McKinney and Dawson, maybe the Miami kid. From there, McKinney might be more of an OLB in this system and isn't the pass rusher or freakish athlete they might want at that position.

Archived