Jets, Cromartie still talking despite Revis deal

jetscrazey

Brian Costello @BrianCoz 8m8 minutes ago

The Revis deal does not mean the Jets are not still interested in signing Antonio Cromartie. The sides are still talking, per source. #nyj

Put a healthy Cro on this defense and we go from the worst secondary in football to a top 3 secondary in 1 offseason.  It basically means Milliner and McDougal getting healthy would be house money and Bowles could play man coverage across the board and blitz the house (maybe with the addition of an edge rusher with the #6 pick).  That would be a downright scary D, considering all the major pieces of the d-line are returning.

Cro must be getting lukewarm offers from Arizona and Dallas.  He said earlier today he planned to make a decision tonight....

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well another interesting angle would be, can Cro plays FS?  He has the speed to do it, and he tracks the ball extremely well.  We know he was good at kick off returns, so he can play with the ball in the air.  I believe the Cards converted Honey Badger to safety when Bowles was there, could they do the same here?  He would know the defense well enough that he wouldn't need to focus too much on terminology, and having Revis on one side can help him focus his attention towards the lesser side and create fear that way?  He still has the speed.  Only tackling would be an issue.  

I'm on board with it.  Think maybe we try to convert someone into a FS if this happens?  

that would be an interesting idea.  FS is as much about brains as it is athleticism.  Cro having fathered all those children out of wedlock may not be the best candidate in that department haha, despite his ideal physical tools....I wonder if Milliner could make the switch?

Put a healthy Cro on this defense and we go from the worst secondary in football to a top 3 secondary in 1 offseason.  It basically means Milliner and McDougal getting healthy would be house money and Bowles could play man coverage across the board and blitz the house (maybe with the addition of an edge rusher with the #6 pick).  That would be a downright scary D, considering all the major pieces of the d-line are returning.

Cro must be getting lukewarm offers from Arizona and Dallas.  He said earlier today he planned to make a decision tonight....

Which is exactly what Bowles and Mac were saying during the combine week.

Could we bring him back and afford Wilkerson at the same time? and afford Richardson the year after?

Cro could be a 1 year deal if the other offers aren't to his liking.  His wife and kids live here (some of them at least), he really wants to be here.

Wonder if we'd shop Milliner if we added Cro.

We wouldn't get much for Milliner I don't think. Maybe a late rd pick. He's an injury prone liabilty outside of those few game in 13. He's more valuable sitting and healing while learning from Revis and potentially Cro.

Could we bring him back and afford Wilkerson at the same time? and afford Richardson the year after?

Cromartie went to Arizona on a 1-year, $3.5M deal.  Think his stock has risen substantially since then?  He's also said he wanted to be back here all along, and now his Defensive Coordinator at AZ is here.  He'll wait until the bitter end of free agency to come play here if that's what it takes.  I don't see Arizona or Dallas (two other teams reportedly intersted) overpaying for his services.

Ugh, why do we need to worry about Richardson next year?  Richardson still has 3 years left on rookie deal, with the 3rd being a team option which will certainly be picked up.

Ugh, why do we need to worry about Richardson next year?  Richardson still has 3 years left on rookie deal, with the 3rd being a team option which will certainly be picked up.

Yeah i ****ed up on Richardsons contract my bad

Cromartie went to Arizona on a 1-year, $3.5M deal.  Think his stock has risen substantially since then?  He's also said he wanted to be back here all along, and now his Defensive Coordinator at AZ is here.  He'll wait until the bitter end of free agency to come play here if that's what it takes.  I don't see Arizona or Dallas (two other teams reportedly intersted) overpaying for his services.

Between having a pretty nice season in AZ and where the current market is for competent CB's, Cro should command significantly more than $3.5M.  Don't forget, he signed that contract after coming off a poor season with the Jets.   He looked like he needed a walker in his last Jets season but really surprised me in AZ.  I though QB's would pick his bones playing opposite Paterson, but he showed a lot more than what I thought he had left in the tank.  He'll get better than a bargain basement pay day.

Lol

I hate Milliner, bro. I just see bust all over him. And it's not like I'm Nostradamus. The guy sucks.

only thing that is bust about milliner is his health. the guy does not suck. if milliner stays healthy( and I know that is a big if) he will be a beast at corner. a revis-lite if you will. physical freak that can shadow a receiver.

Huge fan of Cromartie, loved having him here. He loved the Jets, hated the Pats (dude publicly called Tom Brady as a$$hole!), and played extremely well, aside from his last season when he had the bum hip. But with Skrine here and the contract he got, not in the cards. I wish him well though.

Huge fan of Cromartie, loved having him here. He loved the Jets, hated the Pats (dude publicly called Tom Brady as a$$hole!), and played extremely well, aside from his last season when he had the bum hip. But with Skrine here and the contract he got, not in the cards. I wish him well though.

I'm not so sure.  One injury in the preseason and the Jets will be banking on either Milliner or McDougal to start, both coming off major injuries and Milliner not having  a full offseason coming off an achilles injury which are hard to recover from.

I don't even trust Skrine as a starter at 5'9.  Cro on a 1 year deal makes a lot of sense if it's $6m or less.

I'd bring Cro back at $5 million for 1 year or 2 years $9 million..  The injuries to McDougle and Milliner were serious.  Then in the draft we could add depth to our OL, draft another RB to go with Ivory and Powell, and if we wanted to grab Mariota.  I am against drafting a QB but if we fill a lot of our holes why not? 

Archived