Jets, Cromartie still talking despite Revis deal

jetscrazey

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not so sure. One injury in the preseason and the Jets will be banking on either Milliner or McDougal to start, both coming off major injuries and Milliner not having a full offseason coming off an achilles injury which are hard to recover from.

I don't even trust Skrine as a starter at 5'9. Cro on a 1 year deal makes a lot of sense if it's $6m or less.

I agree. You can't count on McDougal or Milliner in 2015, too many question marks with injuries, plus they're both inexperienced. I liked what I saw from Milliner before the injury in limited play, but an achillies is no joke from what I've read.

Those two playing (and playing well) would be playing with house money. I'm all for bringing Cro in on a 1 or 2 year deal for solid money.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I checked and you are correct. However, I thought players drafted in round 1 all have a team option for a 5th year? Similar to Wilk and how we exercised his 5th year.

Others are gonna know better than me, but I think rookie deals were changed in the time between drafting Wilk and Richardson.  Wilk was signed for 5 years and Sheldon for 4.  Could be wrong though.

Others are gonna know better than me, but I think rookie deals were changed in the time between drafting Wilk and Richardson.  Wilk was signed for 5 years and Sheldon for 4.  Could be wrong though.

Sheldon has an option I thought, for 1 more year, that the Jets can easily pick up.  So they need to pay him 2 years from now.

No you don't.  Sometimes you just say sh*t to say sh*t.  This is one of those times.  

No I really did. I wondered it. I'm not wondering about it anymore, but in that moment I was wondering it. My mind has moved on from that and I am now watching YouTube videos about hippos.

Yes we should have, his last year he was terrible and hurt, nobody would have guessed he would have rebounded the way he did last year.

Even with the unknown of whether or not he could rebound from that bad season, Cromartie was a better option than anything Idzik was planning to put on the field last year, with the exception of Milliner.  Cromartie should have been brought back at a reduced rate to at least compete for the #2 job with the scrubs that Idzik put out there.

Jets and Antonio Cromartie negotiated into the wee hours last night and spoke again this morning, but did not reach a deal, per source #nyj

Cromartie is expected to choose between Jets and Cardinals today #nyj

0 replies48 retweets32 favorites
 Retweet48
 Favorite32
More

Jets and Cromartie are not done negotiating. A deal still could get done. #nyj

0 replies26 retweets27 favorites
 Retweet26
 Favorite27
More

Brian Costello@BrianCoz 15m15 minutes ago

Jets and Antonio Cromartie negotiated into the wee hours last night and spoke again this morning, but did not reach a deal, per source #nyj

Brian Costello@BrianCoz 13m13 minutes ago

Cromartie is expected to choose between Jets and Cardinals today #nyj

0 replies48 retweets32 favorites

Retweet48

Favorite32

More

Brian Costello@BrianCoz 11m11 minutes ago

Jets and Cromartie are not done negotiating. A deal still could get done. #nyj

0 replies26 retweets27 favorites

Retweet26

Favorite27

More

Thanks for the updates SJ, sounds like things are heating up.

FWIW, if I am reading Jason's website correctly Milliner would cause a cap loss if they trade or cut him.  He still has a fair amount of prorated bonus.  One of the mock drafts here suggested that Milliner be moved to safety.  I forget who it was, but he said that he always felt Milliner would be a good FS candidate. JayKwaz maybe?  Given the whole Nick Saban DB's don't backpedal thing, maybe it is not such a crazy idea.

Wonder how much Macc spends today

Very little, I imagine.  We've made our marquee moves already.  Now the grunt work in free agency takes place, where our front office can really make its mark.  This is where we find the bargain-priced guys who can contribute and fill some needs before the draft.  Hopefully if we nab Cromartie he doesn't cost more than, say, $5-6M in cap space.

Very little, I imagine. We've made our marquee moves already. Now the grunt work in free agency takes place, where our front office can really make its mark. This is where we find the bargain-priced guys who can contribute and fill some needs before the draft. Hopefully if we nab Cromartie he doesn't cost more than, say, $5-6M in cap space.

What would you do with olb and safety?

FWIW, if I am reading Jason's website correctly Milliner would cause a cap loss if they trade or cut him.  He still has a fair amount of prorated bonus.  One of the mock drafts here suggested that Milliner be moved to safety.  I forget who it was, but he said that he always felt Milliner would be a good FS candidate. JayKwaz maybe?  Given the whole Nick Saban DB's don't backpedal thing, maybe it is not such a crazy idea.

Was thinking that this morning in talking about moving Cro over there.  If he pans out as a legit first rounder, he's too good to put in the  nickel or on the bench.  Has good ball skills so you'd want him on the field.

What would you do with olb and safety?

Move Pryor to SS, start Antonio Allen at FS, work on converting Milliner to FS.  Bowles is a secondary guy first and foremost so I trust he can figure it out with the guys he already has on the roster now.  Outside of a dirt cheap signing or late draft pick I think the secondary is done.  We shouldn't need to invest heavily in a FS now that Revis Island has returned.

LB, both ILB and OLB, is where we need to get a couple guys in the draft.  We've needed an injection of athleticism for a long time. 

Was thinking that this morning in talking about moving Cro over there.  If he pans out as a legit first rounder, he's too good to put in the  nickel or on the bench.  Has good ball skills so you'd want him on the field.

This comes up every year and every year I post the points against it.  Cro at S is probably not a good idea. First of all, he doesn't tackle, let alone take on blockers.  Complete liability against the run.  Second, the analysis of his game supposedly showed him as poor in zone coverage.  In fact, he is statistically considerably worse when he lines up off the LOS.  Not good traits in a safety that you expect to have playing off man. 

Move Pryor to SS, start Antonio Allen at FS, work on converting Milliner to FS.  Bowles is a secondary guy first and foremost so I trust he can figure it out with the guys he already has on the roster now.  Outside of a dirt cheap signing or late draft pick I think the secondary is done.  We shouldn't need to invest heavily in a FS now that Revis Island has returned.

LB, both ILB and OLB, is where we need to get a couple guys in the draft.  We've needed an injection of athleticism for a long time. 

I am thinking a bunch more Allen at "LB" and a ton of dime.  It's not like teams run that much.

This comes up every year and every year I post the points against it.  Cro at S is probably not a good idea. First of all, he doesn't tackle, let alone take on blockers.  Complete liability against the run.  Second, the analysis of his game supposedly showed him as poor in zone coverage.  In fact, he is statistically considerably worse when he lines up off the LOS.  Not good traits in a safety that you expect to have playing off man. 

I am thinking a bunch more Allen at "LB" and a ton of dime.  It's not like teams run that much.

I'd be fine with that as well.  Either way I don't think we need to be investing heavily in another safety at the moment. 

Even with the unknown of whether or not he could rebound from that bad season, Cromartie was a better option than anything Idzik was planning to put on the field last year, with the exception of Milliner.  Cromartie should have been brought back at a reduced rate to at least compete for the #2 job with the scrubs that Idzik put out there.

I think it's one of those hindsight's 20/20 things. We we're all pretty much ok with letting Cro go because the CB market was so deep, if Idzik had signed ANYONE other than Patterson it would have been an upgrade.

I know that I wasn't OK with letting Cro go last offseason.  With all of the cap room we had there was no reason not to re-sign him on a very reduced salary, which at one point he seemed open to, and let him compete for the #2 job.  With him there we would have had a guy there, for cheap, who if healthy could return to a high level of play and would be someone the younger CBs could learn from since he was already experienced in Rex's system.

Archived