2015 Starting QB

bman

I agree with a lot of what you say, but I don't think Geno has even a pinch of hope. I think his upside is being the top half of the bottom third of the league of starting QB's, no more. You will not ever win with that guy. He was a mistake to draft, he was a mistake to start from day one, and will continue to be a mistake.

I do agree with your logic however on the best way to get a QB is to suck. Problem is the Jets fans have shown that they will not tolerate 3-13 seasons, they would much rather have 8-8 seasons. While I would rather see 3-13 if it yields a real shot at a QB, most Jets fans dont' see it that way, so that is why the Jets are doing what they are doing now.

The only real hope we have is that we can draft a QB that can develop into a legit starting QB somewhere in the draft. Of course that would also require us having coaches who can develop a QB, which I don't know one way or another whether we do or dont.

I agree with a lot of what you say, but I don't think Geno has even a pinch of hope. I think his upside is being the top half of the bottom third of the league of starting QB's, no more. You will not ever win with that guy. He was a mistake to draft, he was a mistake to start from day one, and will continue to be a mistake.

I do agree with your logic however on the best way to get a QB is to suck. Problem is the Jets fans have shown that they will not tolerate 3-13 seasons, they would much rather have 8-8 seasons. While I would rather see 3-13 if it yields a real shot at a QB, most Jets fans dont' see it that way, so that is why the Jets are doing what they are doing now.

The only real hope we have is that we can draft a QB that can develop into a legit starting QB somewhere in the draft. Of course that would also require us having coaches who can develop a QB, which I don't know one way or another whether we do or dont.

Pretty much. Fitz puts you QB purgatory.  

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.......what good does that do?

Fits sucks and is a loser. He's not progressing the franchise. We're not winning anything with him at the helm. I get the "hold the fort" mentality but for what? If you're starting Fitz you're going to win enough games with good D and a running game to take you right out of the drat a QB zone.

Geno sucks more and is a bigger loser.  He's regressing the franchise.  We're not winning anything with him at the helm, now or ever.  I get the "keep dreaming a bust pick might eventually work out if given 23 seasons+" but for what?  If you're starting Geno you're going to be noncompetitive, and no one, not staff, not front office, not players especially, go into a season playing for better draft picks.

The last thing a new regime needs to do is say "nope, no competition, we're playing the clearly worse QB so we can lose more and get a better draft pick....sorry guys currently on roster, thats the deal".

Fitz may not be great, but on this roster, with how this D is shaping up, he can lead a playoff year next year, of that I have little doubt.

You do not tank playoff-potential seasons for next years draft pick being 2 spots higher.

Geno sucks more and is a bigger loser.  He's regressing the franchise.  We're not winning anything with him at the helm, now or ever.  I get the "keep dreaming a bust pick might eventually work out if given 23 seasons+" but for what?  If you're starting Geno you're going to be noncompetitive, and no one, not staff, not front office, not players especially, go into a season playing for better draft picks.

The last thing a new regime needs to do is say "nope, no competition, we're playing the clearly worse QB so we can lose more and get a better draft pick....sorry guys currently on roster, thats the deal".

Fitz may not be great, but on this roster, with how this D is shaping up, he can lead a playoff year next year, of that I have little doubt.

You do not tank playoff-potential seasons for next years draft pick being 2 spots higher.

So Fitz, who has never won more than 6 games in his career, never been above .500, makes this team a playoff caliber team?  lmfao.  No.

Geno in his first season, with the worst roster in the league and the worst coach in the league won 8 games.  Something Fitz has never done.

Again, you know Fitz sucks, even with Chan Gailey.  If Chan is so great and Bowles are so great, why cant they turn around Geno? 

If I were Maccagnan and were taking a trade call from Philly, the moment Bradford's name is mentioned I'd hang up the phone.

Yeah, the dude just can't stay healthy. He should do a Jake Locker and get out while he can still walk.

#20 in rd 1, #20 in rd 2, Sam Bradford, and a 2016 #1 and #2 in a heartbeat for #6.

Agreed!  The 20th pick could hopefully translate into a contributing player in 2015 PLUS next year's 1 and 2 adds more bullets to the Jets gun next year.  If Bradford doesn't work out this year, Fitzpatrick is a capable veteran to stop the gap until the Jets can try to find their future QB with 2 first rounders the following year.

I think the QB competition will be as fair and even as possible, but if anyone has a slight edge it's Fitz. I think because of how abysmal Geno has played at times, Bowles is going to make Geno prove that he deserves the job. I would love for Geno to turn sh*t around and win the job outright, it'd be better for the franchise if he did, but at this point in time I think that Fitz is the most likely starting QB in 2015--barring any other QB acquisitions.

So Fitz, who has never won more than 6 games in his career, never been above .500, makes this team a playoff caliber team? lmfao. No.

Geno in his first season, with the worst roster in the league and the worst coach in the league won 8 games. Something Fitz has never done.

Again, you know Fitz sucks, even with Chan Gailey. If Chan is so great and Bowles are so great, why cant they turn around Geno?

Because Geno is not able to be turned around.

I don't care what regime it is.  If the QB competition is somewhat close, it behooves you to play the younger guy who is more athletic with higher upside. 

I'm guessing Geno will start because our GM who has a background in evaluating talent knows that a QB needs more than a hobbled Eric Decker and a nice slot receiver to realize his potential.  He admitted as much by making the Marshall trade his first order of business.

The good news is there are no more excuses.  If Geno can't do anything in his 3rd year with this coach (Gailey) and these players, then we'll know he'll never be the answer.

I don't think he's as bad as the pitch fork wielding crew does. 

MATT SIMMS will prove once again he is the man for the job in training camp but once again he will be ignored and we will cry and complain all year long about who it is that is starting. 5-11 BOOK IT.

MATT SIMMS will be cut once we draft a mid round QB.

So Fitz, who has never won more than 6 games in his career, never been above .500, makes this team a playoff caliber team?  lmfao.  No.

Geno in his first season, with the worst roster in the league and the worst coach in the league won 8 games.  Something Fitz has never done.

Again, you know Fitz sucks, even with Chan Gailey.  If Chan is so great and Bowles are so great, why cant they turn around Geno? 

Geno didn't "win" 8 games, lol, he was carried to 8 games he had (mostly) little to do with helping win.

Yes, Fitx is a JAG, I would never deny that.

But a JAG is still 3-4 steps superior to what Geno "Complete Int-throw'in Bust" Smith is.

Here are the States I care about, directly related to the QB position:

Geno Smith:  50 INT/Fumbles in 29 games in 2013-2014 i.e. 1.72 Turnovers/game

Fitzpatrick:  34 INT/Fumbles in 23 games in 2013-2014 i.e. 1.42 Turnovers/game

Thats one less turnover every other game for Fitz.

Thats a potential 3-4 win difference for this team.

By all means, back Geno Smith if you like, "just one more year" thats the Jets bust QB mantra, right?  

If Geno is better, he'll win the job and he'll start.

I simply don't think he's better, and i certainly don't think the team is going to lose on purpose, as you seem to hope for here.

It'll be either Geno Smith or Ryan Fitzpatrick, which is rather depressing given the win-now nature of the rest of the roster.

If that is the battle it goes to Fitzpatrick by default. He knows Gailey's system where Geno knows no system.

I don't care what regime it is.  If the QB competition is somewhat close, it behooves you to play the younger guy who is more athletic with higher upside. 

Not when the older QB knows the OC's system and has played for him in the past. Gailey knows what Fitzpatrick brings and I am sure he is not done cringing while looking at some of Geno's film. Note to Gailey: Watch the Buffalo games, especially. 

I would love for Geno to turn sh*t around and win the job outright, it'd be better for the franchise if he did, but at this point in time I think that Fitz is the most likely starting QB in 2015--barring any other QB acquisitions.

It would, but it's about as likely as Kate Upton coming to Tennessee just to f-me all day long. 

I just feel like this offseason has been so insane and all the fans are pumped about what our gm has done Hes gotta have a trick up his sleeve to bring in an instant impact qb. If you had told me we'd have Marshall,Revis and Cromartie on the same team this year i would have laughed at you. No matter what happens we gotta trust in our gm cause he's killing it right now!!!!

I'm guessing Geno will start because our GM who has a background in evaluating talent knows that a QB needs more than a hobbled Eric Decker and a nice slot receiver to realize his potential.  He admitted as much by making the Marshall trade his first order of business.

The good news is there are no more excuses.  If Geno can't do anything in his 3rd year with this coach (Gailey) and these players, then we'll know he'll never be the answer.

I don't think he's as bad as the pitch fork wielding crew does. 

What upside. You probably haven't watched all his games and the Pinstripe Bowl. If it wasn't for the last two games against Miami two years in a row he would of been ran  out of town.

I posted that before the trade but be that as it may, what good does that do?

Fits sucks and is a loser. He's not progressing the franchise. We're not winning anything with him at the helm. I get the "hold the fort" mentality but for what? If you're starting Fitz you're going to win enough games with good D and a running game to take you right out of the drat a QB zone.

At least with Geno there is at a pinch of hope and maybe the new system/coaching can turn him around. Fitz is what he is and all ways will be from team to team, coach to coach. What if Chan can fix Geno? Rex was a QB killer. Maybe Bowles is a QB whisperer. He's certainly more talented from a skill perspective. Who knows? And that's the difference.

And if Geno won 8 games his rookie season on the worst roster in the league playing for the worst coach in history of the sport and Fitz has never won 8 games, how many more wins does Fitz really get you?

And if worst comes to worst and Geno ends up sucking as bad as he has, then the Jets are back in the QB zone next draft. Not picking 14-18.

the starting QB is not yet on the roster.   

Kirk Cousins.  

Geno didn't "win" 8 games, lol, he was carried to 8 games he had (mostly) little to do with helping win.

Yes, Fitx is a JAG, I would never deny that.

But a JAG is still 3-4 steps superior to what Geno "Complete Int-throw'in Bust" Smith is.

Here are the States I care about, directly related to the QB position:

Geno Smith:  50 INT/Fumbles in 29 games in 2013-2014 i.e. 1.72 Turnovers/game

Fitzpatrick:  34 INT/Fumbles in 23 games in 2013-2014 i.e. 1.42 Turnovers/game

Thats one less turnover every other game for Fitz.

Thats a potential 3-4 win difference for this team.

By all means, back Geno Smith if you like, "just one more year" thats the Jets bust QB mantra, right?  

If Geno is better, he'll win the job and he'll start.

I simply don't think he's better, and i certainly don't think the team is going to lose on purpose, as you seem to hope for here.

I never said they should lose on purpose - I'm not sure Connor Cook is worth that.  I said Fitz puts you in the cant draft a QB range.  And I'm not "backing" Geno.  He's terrible.  But so is Fitz.  

Geno didnt win 8 games, he was carried to 8 by what?  That team was dogsh*t.  Since Fitz isnt winning you games, was he carried to 6, his max # of wins in a season?  

My position is really simple, maybe good coaching can change Geno.  We technically dont know that although it seems as if he's a lost cause.  We absolutely know it wont change Fitz because team to team, system to system, he still sucks.  All we know about Geno is what we've seen with QB killers in Rex and Marty.

And you're right, if Geno is the better QB in camp he'll start.  Truth is at this point with the evolution of the roster over the last few days, I think the Jets are going to have a great D and solid running game so with either QB, so they're going to be in that 6-8 win territory no matter what, IMO.

So this whole conversation is all for nothing!  haha

Archived