Jets trade for Ryan Fitzpatrick (All things Fitzpatrick in here)

Morrissey

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't read the whole thread yet, so apologies if this was already posted, but here are Fitzpatrick's numbers from last season with Houston:

63% comp, 17 TDs 8 INTs last year in 12 games

That was better than I expected. I wonder why O'Brein decided to go with Hoyer over Fitz....I'm almost positive Fitz had a better year overall even though I'll admit I didn't watch a lot of either player.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I haven't read the whole thread yet, so apologies if this was already posted, but here are Fitzpatrick's numbers from last season with Houston:

63% comp, 17 TDs 8 INTs last year in 12 games

That was better than I expected. I wonder why O'Brein decided to go with Hoyer over Fitz....I'm almost positive Fitz had a better year overall even though I'll admit I didn't watch a lot of either player.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

not sure what the answer is, but perhaps the 3 year age difference mattered?  If Mallett doesn't pan out, they can use Hoyer a bit longer while they search in future offseasons for their next QB.  

Throw out the one game outlier where he threw for 6 TDs and its 11 Tds 8 Ints.

Just like people want to throw out Geno's perfect QBR in his last game last season , which helped skew his numbers.

QB is not all about stats, those thinking we signed anything more than the Matt Cassell equivalent in Buffalo may be seriously dissapointed.

Yes.

This will reduce the felony arrest ratio on our team for sure.

I'll settle for 75% of Vinnie's proficiency from Fitzpatrick.

The knock on Fitzpatrick, at least from Bills fans on their board, is that he lacks arm strength and shortens the field for opposing defenses.  Run a lot of zone, flood 20 yards off the line and in, he's got a big challenge getting the ball into tight spaces.  VT didn't suffer from lack of arm strength and could stretch the field.

SAR I

The knock on Fitzpatrick, at least from Bills fans on their board, is that he lacks arm strength and shortens the field for opposing defenses.  Run a lot of zone, flood 20 yards off the line and in, he's got a big challenge getting the ball into tight spaces.  VT didn't suffer from lack of arm strength and could stretch the field.

It's a reasonable concern.  But if Fitzpatrick had more arm strength he wouldn't be available.  Every QB on the market was flawed.  Meanwhile, Geno has very good arm strength but that hasn't helped him too much. 

We don't have any burners in our WR corps, and if we, say, were to draft Amari Cooper, he's more of a Roddy White type too.  So in this situation Fitzpatrick should be pretty effective with nothing but big possession receivers on the outside and Kerley out of the slot.  Tight coverage will assuredly lead to picks but, more often than not, I can see Fitzy's accuracy giving us far more advantages than Geno's skillset.

Wouldn't be surprised if Fitz is starting from day 1. Geno has very little upside. Has all the physical tools, but not sure Chan can help replace the rock he has for a brain 

I think he'll start simply because he's familiar with Gailey's system. Gailey's system seems easy to grasp so I wouldn't worry to much about Geno Smith. Even Kordell "Wonderlic of 12" Stewart was able to grasp it.

here's another one of those uninformed blanket statements that the new crew has been bringing to the JN table. Do a little research before you make stupid statements not backed up with any kind of facts all of you new guys....please.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14129/bilal-powell

Give Powell 300 carries and he's a 1200 yard player. Can you guys believe he only carries the ball 33 times last year? Ryan our clueless offensive minded ex-coach gave the washed up Chris Johnson 5X more carries than Bilal and he still had as many TDs as as Powell; 1

New guy? I've been a Jet fan since 1966 Dumbo. Powell is JAG. He's a solid back up - nothing more. I like him, he's a hard runner, don't get me wrong. But he's not the type of back who's going to change a defense's mind set.   You don't give a back up 300 carries.  You're making him out to be Terrell Davis,  Now that's STUPID. We have Ivory and Powell to back him up. A back with the skill set of Sproles would be a perfect compliment to those two. Thunder, lightning and hail.

New guy? I've been a Jet fan since 1966 Dumbo. Powell is JAG. He's a solid back up - nothing more. I like him, he's a hard runner, don't get me wrong. But he's not the type of back who's going to change a defense's mind set.   You don't give a back up 300 carries.  You're making him out to be Terrell Davis,  Now that's STUPID. We have Ivory and Powell to back him up. A back with the skill set of Sproles would be a perfect compliment to those two. Thunder, lightning and hail.

you're the guy who said it would take Powell 1000 carries to get 1200 yards and I'm the dumbo? I didn't mean that since you're OLD that you were a new guy I meant new to the site...sheesh age doesn't always equal wisdom does it?

Wouldn't be surprised if Fitz is starting from day 1. Geno has very little upside. Has all the physical tools, but not sure Chan can help replace the rock he has for a brain 

If Geno "has all the physical tools", then why does he have "very little upside"? I agree with the first part, just not the second part.

you're the guy who said it would take Powell 1000 carries to get 1200 yards and I'm the dumbo? I didn't mean that since you're OLD that you were a new guy I meant new to the site...sheesh age doesn't always equal wisdom does it?

I was being sarcastic but I guess that flew over your head. I'll try to keep it more simple for you next time.

If Geno "has all the physical tools", then why does he have "very little upside"? I agree with the first part, just not the second part.

He's limited by a dumb brain, much like Sanchez was.  JaMarcus Russell had "all the tools" too from a physical standpoint.

He's limited by a dumb brain, much like Sanchez was.  JaMarcus Russell had "all the tools" too from a physical standpoint.

Almost all the tools. He had too much of a belly and become a couch potato after he got paid.

SAR I

fair point but I also think Fitzpatrick is a better decision maker than Vinny was.  And Fitzpatrick has a good group of possession receivers who know how to get open.  I still think Fitzpatrick needs a Spiller-type player as a security blanket.  I'm hoping it's Duke Johnson.

SAR I

I just read an article about how interceptions are not always such a negative that I think listed Fitzpatrick among the gunslingers.  He was among the leaders in ypa"depth of target" at 16 ypa.  He was among the leaders in NYA and YPC.  I don't have PFF and haven't read the article too carefully, but it will make you feel a bit better about Fitzpatrick, even though they list him among the leaders as "bafflingly, Ryan Fitzpatrick."

http://www.footballperspective.com/guest-post-are-interceptions-overrated/

He has a good arm/mobility, but Im not confident he will ever smarten up and cut back the turnovers

I was being sarcastic but I guess that flew over your head. I'll try to keep it more simple for you next time.

thanks Powpow-and oh yea, welcome to the site, to a fellow old guy

on edit; BTW, I also love your avatar and he was one of my favorite Jets back in the day too, funny how we never heard word one from or about George Sauer Jr. after he retired.

He has a good arm/mobility, but Im not confident he will ever smarten up and cut back the turnovers

He played very well down the stretch once he started building up chemistry with Harvin and once Decker got close to full strength (hamstring injuries tend to linger for a while).

SAR I

A Guiness a day will help with that arm strength.

BTW, my rep was able to put me in Section 336, Row 6 just above the railing obstruction.

If anything opens in 337-340 Rows 6 or 7, he'll move me over.

Plus I will be eligible for the relo event in June when a lot of STH may move down.

Looked at 246A Row 1 which were very good... but I just can't watch football live without a horizontal view of the field.

Very psyched for the 2015 season and my new seat location.

Fitz is a good dude, always hope he does well, except against the Bills of course! You know what you're gonna get with him atleast.

Yea plenty of big plays and a ton of INTs, could be alright if he just limits mitakes.

I just read an article about how interceptions are not always such a negative that I think listed Fitzpatrick among the gunslingers.  He was among the leaders in ypa"depth of target" at 16 ypa.  He was among the leaders in NYA and YPC.  I don't have PFF and haven't read the article too carefully, but it will make you feel a bit better about Fitzpatrick, even though they list him among the leaders as "bafflingly, Ryan Fitzpatrick."

http://www.footballperspective.com/guest-post-are-interceptions-overrated/

Great fit with Marshall, hopefully being a balanced offense will keep the INTs down

Yea plenty of big plays and a ton of INTs, could be alright if he just limits mitakes.

That's about right. He's just not good enough to get you to the playoffs if he starts all your games. He's good for spurts, which is why is a tremendous backup QB. If you roll with him 16 games, you'll be lucky to be 8-8. 

thanks Powpow-and oh yea, welcome to the site, to a fellow old guy

on edit; BTW, I also love your avatar and he was one of my favorite Jets back in the day too, funny how we never heard word one from or about George Sauer Jr. after he retired.

yea he was a classy dude. here's a great article on him. http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/17/george-sauers-love-hate-connection-with-football/?_r=0

And who you calling old? LOL

A Guiness a day will help with that arm strength.

BTW, my rep was able to put me in Section 336, Row 6 just above the railing obstruction.

If anything opens in 337-340 Rows 6 or 7, he'll move me over.

Plus I will be eligible for the relo event in June when a lot of STH may move down.

Looked at 246A Row 1 which were very good... but I just can't watch football live without a horizontal view of the field.

Very psyched for the 2015 season and my new seat location.

Congrats!

Let's grab a beer opening day.

SAR I

Archived